Matt Palmquist 15-Jul-17
writer 15-Jul-17
Kansasclipper 15-Jul-17
Scooby-doo 15-Jul-17
writer 15-Jul-17
Heartshot 17-Jul-17
writer 17-Jul-17
10-Jul-17
Well I tried to get a good friend a leftover license and at 12:02 I kept getting an error code on expired privilege. Needless to say by 12:06 all left overs were gone :(

10-Jul-17
My buddy said the 2 units he tried for were gone by 12:01 and when he refreshed at 12:02 there weren't any left at all.

10-Jul-17
Im curious why the state hasnt updated the nr draw pdf which gives all the stats from the April application and initial draw. Usually it has been released shortly after the draw has taken place.

10-Jul-17
AND some were concerned about NR applicant numbers going down when the permit fees were increased!

10-Jul-17
I started submitting my request as at 11:59 and kept doing so until 12:06 and never got a tag. Sold out in 5 minutes, not that many left though. The areas that had leftovers did not appear to have much WIHA or public land either. Shawn

10-Jul-17
I would raise those tags to about $750. Hell they are paying $5000 and up for guides, double the price on those tags and put the extra money into upland hunting, since it gets the shaft.

10-Jul-17
Not to argue but I can not see any reason on how upland gets the shaft. Most Wiha is excellent upland hunting.

10-Jul-17
Kansasclipper not all of us use guides and try and do it on a budget. I have it down to where I can drive to Kansas and my total costs including tags,food,gas,lodging the whole sha-bang runs me about $100 a day. I also would argue with anyone about the upland hunting in the WIHA's!! Everyone I have hunted the last couple years has had plenty of pheasant and quite a few quail. A couple also have good numbers of prairie chickens. Shawn

10-Jul-17
Scooby you seem to know more about Kansas than any of us! Pheasant hunting was improved last year but from 2011-2015 it was terrible. Prairie chicken are stable but not good at all. They are totally eliminated from much of their range. Some of the counties in the SE portion of the state has not had a chicken in it since the mid 80's.

10-Jul-17
there must have been a problem with the system because I got the error messages also but tried again at 8:00 am and got my tag

10-Jul-17
Going to have to disagree with you on some of your upland bird assessments, Clip... Last I heard, Norton isn't in the SE part of the state. :-)

11-Jul-17
If KDWPT could only control the weather. Those were the drought years with very little survival rates. This year will be absolutely fantastic. I'm almost more excited about birds than I am bucks.

11-Jul-17
Yeah, I should of been more specific. The NW part of the state has had lots of birds everywhere I have been, so much so I killed 3 with my truck last year. Shawn

11-Jul-17
You know what I mean writer. Those chickens that Scooby is seeing were on the endangered species list. Back in the early 80's the skies in the flint hills would be full of prairie chickens as the sun went down. Looked like waterfowl. Always got a kick driving east of Wichita home from pheasant hunting watching them. By the early 90's they were gone. There are 5 or 6 counties in the SE corner where the chickens are gone completely. We used to have a nice population of them there.

Matte are you seeing a lot of pheasant chicks? I have not seen one brood yet here.

11-Jul-17
No, Clip, I don't know what you mean. He's seeing greater prairie chickens that far north, and their numbers are hanging strong and danged sure better than 30 years ago in central and western Kansas...which is where he's seeing them. Reports of pheasant chicks are really varying this year. A buddy, an avid hunter, south of Great Bend, is super-excited at what he's seen where there's been water. Guys west of Scott City aren't too impressed. Those a few miles east are seeing quite a bit. Going to be some really bad spots. Going to be some great spots.

11-Jul-17
Well they are where you find them and plenty of time for any reason nesting. The crowing is still crazy at my ground in SC Kansas. It is about the hunt not the harvest. If I get a point and see a hen flush I'm happy. If I get a couple roosters just as happy. I try and not take a limit on the spots I hunt. The way I see it is a bird a day is four fun hunts. Four birds in a day is one fun hunt. I like to work the dog so it is more about the hunt for me. Quail will be beyond excellent. From the ranch by Yates Center and every piece of ground I have been on or lake I have been fishing at is non stop Bob white whistles all the way out to Elkhart.

11-Jul-17
Sito has the same philosophy for hunting bucks... :P

11-Jul-17
Sito is also probably the most successful at having great hunts. He isn't there for the horns and meat as much as he is there for himself and so in that way he measures success. Personally I have killed a bunch of really, really good bucks however my favorite hunt I talk about the most of just going out for a hunt with no ?? food plots or trail cameras up. Just grabbing my bow and binoculars and making something fun happen win lose or draw. Not to get long-winded here but what Sito tries to tell you guys is there are ways of hunting that maybe more satisfying than sitting over ?? expecting to shoot your shooter. Good now that we are back on deer. It does seem as if there was an issue with the system as I was able to call in and get my buddy (turns 63 this year) a tag. It may be one of his last hunts here in Kansas due to health so time to get the glass out and pattern a new area. Sito I'll be in Attica alot this summer and fall trying to re exam ground I hunted almost 20 years ago.

12-Jul-17

Thornton's embedded Photo
Thornton's embedded Photo
Kansasclipper. You are correct on the chicken assessment. I grew up hunting large flocks in the Flint Hills before modern ranching practices nearly wiped them out. Now I drive 100 miles to a different part of the state to hunt them. I will not shoot at one unless I know there are at least 30 in the immediate area

12-Jul-17
Bird hunting is great because no one cares HOW you do it and regularly expresses that their way is superior to yours....you can use a dog, some point, some don't, or you can just walk and shoot them. Hell, you can stand in one spot and ambush them when someone is pushing them to you or where you expect them to fly naturally, and I even know guys that still hunt/stalk pheasants in areas where birds are expected to be.

Think about it...to be safe I will just spell it out further:)

On the contrary, with deer, if you don't do it my way, with my equipment, with my methods, with my ethics, with my self imposed goals, with the same residency as me, or with the same opportunities or lack there of as me you are a slob and a worthless SOB:) It is easy to see why people get tired of bowhunting and moreso the bowsite.

Matt

12-Jul-17
Very well said Matt. Most of us know you can stalk, sit in a blind or stand and have been known to harvest with all means.

12-Jul-17
This turned into a bird thread quickly haha ! Appears there may have been some problems with the midnight draw. Know others who were successful the next morning. Website still shows tags in 16 and 18.

13-Jul-17
How would you ever get tired of bowhunting, Matt?????

13-Jul-17
I am not tired of it...seems to be a common theme with a few around here lately though:) And tired of bowsite is probably more accurate.....kind of a ghost town compared to a few years ago.

13-Jul-17
Less and less interest in bowhunting annually for me, for several reasons which includes more and more upland bird hunting and waterfowl. Not much dog work in bowhunting. Trying to find "forever homes" for a bunch of taxidermy in my basement, now. Enjoyed your post about no pressure on upland hunts, as compared to big game, Mr. Palmquist.

13-Jul-17

Kansasclipper's Link
Well since we are off topic (or are we)? Writer if you find a home for you mounts, I have a few to throw in.

13-Jul-17
Ditto on your end....dunno what I was thinking. Get more joy outta watching a good dog chew on antlers than staring at them on the wall.

13-Jul-17
Ditto on your end....dunno what I was thinking. Get more joy outta watching a good dog chew on antlers than staring at them on the wall.

13-Jul-17
Mine are in the garage. Out sight out of mind. All the big sheds have been hacked into dog chews.

13-Jul-17
Y'all's silly

13-Jul-17
Talk to Vanderbilts, they have a lot of wall space.

13-Jul-17
Where?

13-Jul-17
My dogs seem to enjoy the old sheds that are cracked from the weather.

14-Jul-17
Salina and Hays.. actually, they have 9 locations.. The salina store has a nice selection of hunting equipment and apparel,..a store could possibly take it all on loan..

14-Jul-17
Love it! Agree with Kyke though....y'all aint gone yet:) why not enjoy them? I remember hunts when I look at mounts....probably will moreso as I get older. Why get rid of them?

14-Jul-17
Yep, it's up to those poor souls left behind to sell my mounts to the lowest bidder.

Got to have something to look at in the rocker!

Tuff break on the leftovers. That's a funny word for sure!

14-Jul-17
I just want the money back that I paid for them. It would make a great investment into an IRA. I figure well over $10,000 in mounts. Hell that is 10 new lab puppies.

14-Jul-17
or two good pointers

14-Jul-17
LMAO I am to old to keep up with a couple pointers!

14-Jul-17
clip i thought you hunted pheasant not water fowl

14-Jul-17
Z Sutherland's are now Mathews dealers.

14-Jul-17
A little of both but I am getting to old to haul decoys. My labs can find a rooster or 2 on occasion.

14-Jul-17
i understand that i miss the days when we walked fields sunup to sundown. My favorite hunting

14-Jul-17
I used to like going to our sutherlands, purchased lots of parts from them, they actually had many parts which no one else stocked. Even parts which the electrical supply houses didnt stock.

Salina Sutherlands closed shortly after Lowes came to town. Sat empty for years, now its a Dicks Sporting Goods.

We missed all the rain yesterday and last night..hope to get some today.

14-Jul-17
.25 just enough to save the garden for another week.

14-Jul-17
Matt Palmquist...I'm not you at this stage of my life. The mounts sit in the basement and few get to see them and they don't mean that much to me. Obviously, they once did.

About 7-8 years ago I walked downstairs, looked at all of the mounts that surrounded me, and thought, "What the hell was I thinking, and what is going to happen to all of these."

Someday I'll be moving and don't want to fill a moving van of just mounts. I'll probably donate the Fort Riley elk to the state, as long as I approve of where it hangs. I already have a 366 bull hanging at a mutual friend's place.

They are mine, and I can do with them as I wish. They are just antlers and skin, or antlers and skull. God's initial intention for them was for them to eventually turn into rat poop. Some of mine will go into dog chews. I'll keep a big mule deer my son bow-killed, a nice mulie my daughter and I crawled 90 minutes to get, a big azz pronghorn from a Kansas ranch I love and a the antlers of a 300" 5x5.

I've watched too many things go bad, during my life, because of antlers. Divorces, friendships and families forever broken, careers lost, families gone financially broke...Yes, I fueled a lot of that with articles, and I 100 percent somebody's right to trophy hunt if it makes them happy.

Me? I love the hunting part of bowhunting the best. My dream deer is old, and one nobody else would want so I don't have to worry about landowners, neighbors or friends coming down on my.

But if there's 4" of fresh snow, and I know where there's a weedy patch of CRP with a few plum thickets,...I'm taking the Lab instead of the Mission.

But that's just me.

14-Jul-17
I am getting to the point where I have lost the heart to shoot them. Really, why should I deal with the pressure just to say I got mine this year and kill an animal that is just like the rest of the mounts on the wall and hunted and pressured 6 months out of the year? Actually pressured 12 months out the year with everyone running cameras 24/7. That's how I feel. I don't eat the meat and just donate it to the "Feed The Hungary" program every year. I just don't have the desire to shoot another dinky 140 inch deer because it is the biggest I saw all year and feel like by golly I have to shoot one. I might just start taking a camera and leave the bow at home. But damn I like being in the stand.

14-Jul-17
I see everyones point, maybe we should all be more like Sito. Look for the "right one" and be happy in the search! I am coming to Kansas next year and I will be bringing Molly my Llewellen Setter with me for sure. I live in NY and have not really hunted wild birds here in NY in about 40 years. I found out why I could not buy a tag this year. I had already purchased a preference point this year!! Shawn

14-Jul-17
"we should all be more like Sito"...NO Shawn NO, trust me.

14-Jul-17
It's going to have to be a very special "Right One" for me to use my tag this year. I am to old and tired to drag one on my cart and load it in the truck.

15-Jul-17
I hear you Michael, and like Jeff, would like the money back and likely would have done more European mounts where I could pull the deer off the wall and handle it.

That said, I think I appreciate them more as I get older because it can bring me right back to the hunt. Sure, a picture would do the same thing I suppose. I have had those thoughts as well, so no need to defend your decision to me. I just decided I won't be getting rid of mounts any time soon. I keep saying I am not going to mount anymore but I still do. More and more euros are in my future.

15-Jul-17
Be more like, Kyle? That means I'd have to..., and do away with my....and have a jerk like me for a good friend. NO!!!!

15-Jul-17
Well went and checked the trail camera's today. This is a new property I have been wanting to hunt for a long time. I never turned on the camera's so no pics. Just getting old.

15-Jul-17
Nothing wrong with having a jerk for a good friend. I am not too the point that killing big deer is still not a thrill. My definition though is differnt then you guys as a 140" deer is still big to me!! Where I am from, hell a 120" deer is a big deer and at least 3.5 years olod if not 4.5. Maybe someday I will get like that but I actually hope not. I have decided to have my next buck mounted with the pins in its head so you can remove the horns and display a different set. One mount and I can put on dozens of horns. Shawn

15-Jul-17
Don't worry, Clip. Pics or no pics, I'm guessing your Labs will find birds on that property tis fall.

17-Jul-17
writer, your post earlier got me. I can see how some day mounts etc will mean little to me. They mean less and less as the years go on. I have started backing the mounts with old barn wood reminding me of the hunt and who I was with.

17-Jul-17
Do what makes you happy, Heartshot. I've gone from shoulder mounts, to Euros, to skull caps. Not to say I would never get one mounted again.

• Sitka Gear