Steve White 13-Jul-17
Two Feathers 06-Oct-17
Duke 06-Oct-17
northbound 07-Oct-17
tracker 07-Oct-17
Pete-pec 07-Oct-17
10-Jul-17

Tweed's Link
Just a good old fun Wisconsin debate? What's your opinion?

Also there's this interactive poll from JS where you draw the line where "Up North" begins.

https://projects.jsonline.com/news/2017/7/10/where-does-up-north-begin-wisconsinites-draw-your-own-line.html

10-Jul-17
My 2 cents is it starts to "feel" up north once I'm above HWY 29ish but Stevens Point kind of feels up north to me too.

10-Jul-17
For me, North of Hwy 8.

10-Jul-17
Look at a map. Mark your location. "Up North" is anyplace closer to the top of the map.

10-Jul-17
North of hwy 8

10-Jul-17
HWY 8 goes through lots of what most consider northern towns like Rhinelander and Ladysmith. So the line should be south of 8.

10-Jul-17
There use to be and perhaps still is, a big sign by Portage that says something to the effect "Where the North Begins" that may well been back in the 20s or 30s when the Sign was first put up. But certainly not these days. I have heard more than once, that one has to get north of Hwy 8 to be above the tension zone.

My opinion is north of 64 is "Up Nort" since that had been dividing line for bobcat and Bear (wilderness species for me) for along time and generally most of it is big woods and generally is out of the greater cropland zone.

It's what people are conditioned to . Have had big city residents tell me the northern unit of the kettle moraine is wilderness to them. And have had Hayward, Rhinelader and even Superior area people say, one needs to go to Canada for a true northern experience.

10-Jul-17
North of 8 has always been headin north to me.

10-Jul-17
north of 70

10-Jul-17
When my compass in my vehicle says "N"

10-Jul-17
North of Highway 2

11-Jul-17
For me its Hwy 8.

11-Jul-17
North of Highway 60...

11-Jul-17
North of the Mason-Dixon line is s up north, but I would say 8 would be a good dividing line.

11-Jul-17
Harris Lake in northern Vilas County. We have been going here for a week's stay every summer for the past 28 years. When our family talks "up north", that's the place.

11-Jul-17
Hmmm, I am going to recant my Hwy 8 and go with Hwy 64. I live by Eau Claire, and I am in the Up North feel when I turn North off of 64 to my cabin.

11-Jul-17
I am in the northern part of Wi. so i would consider Canada up north 90 pct of Wi. is south of me .

11-Jul-17
I had a guy tell me that Fremont is up north for him... he lives in Milwaukee. I guess it depends on where you live and what you expect.

To me north of Mercer, Saxon, Bayfield are all up north. Once I stop seeing Illinois license plates and the traffic is down, then I feel up north.

Next week we will be way up north for a family vacation, highs in the mid 50's light almost 18 hours of daylight this time of year.

11-Jul-17
Mike, I would love to be there. Can't take the hot weather anymore. I'm trying to talk the wife into summering in Alaska and wintering here.

11-Jul-17
Up north is not a city or town or above some highway. It's a state of mind or an emotional locale if you must.

11-Jul-17
If you need a physical location, it is a relative location, usually over an hour from where you reside in your day-to-day life. That will usually get you to, as Novice said, your "emotional locale".

11-Jul-17

Drop Tine's Link
It's in Madison.

11-Jul-17
X2 novice!! Best answer anyone can give.

11-Jul-17
I like Reggiezpop answer.

Just a few minutes further than that you cross Northwoods Road on I43.

11-Jul-17
North of Wisconsin Dells. Once you get north of Wausau, you really are up north.

11-Jul-17
I'm driving up from SE Florida, dragging my boat this time next Wednesday. When I get to Three Lakes is when I feel I'm up north. I'll be spending 3 weeks on Butternut lake. My father-n-law built the A-frame there back in the early 70's. Been going there for near 20+ years now. Can't wait to get outta the heat!!

11-Jul-17
To me........."Up North" is when I'm sitting in my treestand and can feel the 'Gails of November' coming off of Giche Gumee! I'm fortunate to be born and raised within sight of Lake Superior and never plan on leaving! When I 'Go North', I'm in my boat!

11-Jul-17
Draw a straight line between Green Bay and lacrosse. North of that is up north to me. I say I'm going up north and it's black river falls. I would like to take a trip to the "real" up north again eventually.

11-Jul-17
the real up north is Alaska. when we travel down to Minn. to visit family and friends, we say we are heading south, or watch the Vikings kick butt.

11-Jul-17
For the past several years I've noticed how I can feel my pulse & blood pressure drop as I cross hwy 8 heading north. That's my "up north" line.

11-Jul-17
"Vikings kick butt."

Hmmm! Been awhile since ya been down this way!

12-Jul-17
that hurt!

12-Jul-17

12-Jul-17
"Vikings kick butt." Look above at my first post,,, What do you see...? That's right Nothing but white space,,,, Same as the Minn. VikQueens Super Bowl Trophy Case. ZERO>>>>> Just Space.

12-Jul-17
When I cross under the "Tbird Country" bridge south of Hazelhurst!

12-Jul-17
They have a new bridge now with a banner.

12-Jul-17
I didn't mean just the packers, but that's always a plus. Will have to head SOUTH to see the new stadium.

13-Jul-17
Got to agree with Droptine. North of 2!

06-Oct-17
I saw a sign the other day and it said: "Tomahawk, Gateway to the North Woods"

06-Oct-17
"Up North" is an euphoric state of mind... No geographic borders! And it is pronounced, "up nort".

07-Oct-17
I think most people in my area consider crivitz to be 'up north' Personally I think 64 is a good cut off for 'up north' with the Brule/ Menomonee rivers Being the cut off for 'up nort'

07-Oct-17
When highway 51 goes from four lane to two lanes (north of 8) is up north for me.

07-Oct-17
Up north is the smell of the dank cabin. A cross between wet burnt wood and mildew. A place of many good memories. A place that taught me that we as hunters have differing opinions, but the same sort of mindset. A place with no running water, and had an outhouse. A place I used to see 30 deer a day. That place was Cataract. A place I don't visit nearly enough.

Now I stay down south. I refer to it as the new up north.

Now I stay

• Sitka Gear