myhandle 29-Jul-17
myhandle 29-Jul-17
PI 31-Jul-17
Belchertown Bowman 01-Aug-17
mainephoneguy 01-Aug-17
Belchertown Bowman 01-Aug-17
hunterma 01-Aug-17
11-Jul-17
Does anyone know what the odds of getting a doe tag in zone 6 or 7 are?

Just maybe from past experience?

11-Jul-17
According to the Mass Fisheries and Wildlife page says Zone 6 = 44% chance and Zone 7 =87% chance. Hope that helps.

11-Jul-17
I've never not gotten a doe tag from zone 7. I think the only time I didn't get one was when I bought my license late from being deployed overseas. Now that I mainly hunt zone 10 it shouldn't be an issue. I still occasionally hunt with my father and brother in zone 7 so I will try for a zone 7 doe tag again this year and just purchase a zone 10 surplus tag which worked for me last year.

11-Jul-17
On a related note, they have finally posted the breakdown of deer kills by zone for 2016. I can never understand why it should take so long to compile, seems pretty straight forward to be once the numbers are in.

11-Jul-17
On a related note, they have finally posted the breakdown of deer kills by zone for 2016. I can never understand why it should take so long to compile, seems pretty straight forward to be once the numbers are in.

11-Jul-17
I did some math and an interesting point is that the low deer population zones such as 4N, 2, and 4s have a better % of doe tags filled then other zones. I think MAWildlife should start doing some surveys as their method seems outdated. I notice how they now say the population is over 95,000 but back in the hay day years they said it was like 80-85,000.

11-Jul-17
I am just trying for my normal zone 3.

11-Jul-17
Spike, there probably are more deer today than back in the hay day years. Only problem is most of them live in all the no hunting towns in the east...

11-Jul-17
Bruce, that may be true. I know back in the day zone 7 had 800 harvested a year and now it's 500-600ish a year.

11-Jul-17
Come to zone 10 where the odds are 100% and the deer look a lot like coyotes.

26-Jul-17

Belchertown Bowman's Link
I see where you guys got your info,..

Others might like this if you do not already know your odds Link attached

26-Jul-17

Will's Link
Jeb - I thought you didnt see deer :) (kidding man)

This is a great report on last year... the best part though is the last table - scroll to the end of the PDF. It's a table which notes the goal (increase/decrease/stabilize over past years) for this year. http://www.mass.gov/eea/agencies/dfg/dfw/hunting-fishing-wildlife-watching/hunting/2016-deer-harvest-summary.pdf

A few tables up, you can see numbers from last year and there relationship to the past 3yr avg and 5yr avg. Though I hunt it less the last few years, I still consider Z6 my "home" zone since I grew up there and have hunted it a ton. The state goal there is "increase" (increase deer population). I'm all for that!

26-Jul-17
.Crap, I think for the first time in my life, I thought I applied for an antlerless tag, but didnt. Cant seem to find info on it on my receipt and it does show up on my wives receipt. Argh! Guess it's all bucks for me...

26-Jul-17
If you count up the applicants from previous years if I remember correctly it is down by thousands of hunters.

26-Jul-17
The state keeps saying they want to lower deer numbers in zones 10 & 11, not that I really want that, but they will never be able to achieve their goal with the crazy town by laws implemented in Eastern, MA. They will just eliminate deer in all easily accessible obvious spots.

27-Jul-17
Ya I've just been living by the fish and game regs only. If there's woods with a legal set back distance and plenty of access and its not posted, I'll check it out. Better to ask for forgiveness than for permission with all these separate town rules and by laws.

27-Jul-17
Yeah I do the same thing man. When different EPO's can't even give you the same answer I say let it rip.

27-Jul-17
It's encouraging to see the state recognize the need to increase, decrease or stabilize the deer herd in specific zones.

It would be great to see zone 9 treated as stabilize instead of decrease.

9 out of 15 zones want to increase the herd. That's good news.

29-Jul-17
This may be a stupid question but how do you find out if you got a doe tag.

29-Jul-17
On or after Aug. 1st log in to the online Mass. Fish/Wildlife site, go to the license/permit area and it will inform you if you drew one or not.

29-Jul-17
hunterma thanks

29-Jul-17
hunterma thanks

31-Jul-17
If a town has a "tight ass law" you will get local police but if it doesn't ,then posting is the only deterrent. Our law in Ma allows for hunting with proper setbacks followed . If not posted (and it must be done correctly for prosecution) unless the owner personally warns you to stay out, it is fair land to hunt. All said, the fine if your busted is not the end of the world or the season but I make a point not to cross any obvious posted land and we all should for the same sake.

01-Aug-17
I thought today was the day you check,..? Am I an idiot or what,.. OK quiet down out there,..

I cannot seem to see where to check for that. I log in and there it shows where I asked for one,.. says check back today but I get no indications either way,.. What does everyone who works there sleep late or something?

Anyone else get a result yet?

01-Aug-17
Blechertown results don't post on your customer ID page until after 8:30 am

01-Aug-17
I got in,.. no luck for me

01-Aug-17
Sorry Belchertown, I got one for zone 8

• Sitka Gear