Belchertown Bowman 12-Jul-17
Tajue17 12-Jul-17
TexBow 12-Jul-17
hunterma 13-Jul-17
Ungie01201 13-Jul-17
Cougar 13-Jul-17
Will 13-Jul-17
11-Jul-17
I am looking to purchase a new hang on stand for the upcoming season. I have been using a climber for the past few years but after this winter and spring scouting different locations without good climber trees I need to adjust. What do ya'll use? Anyone know of ways to get a good deal on a hang on stand?

11-Jul-17
I pretty much buy Dicks hangons. You can get the smaller style on "Flash Sales" for $29.99 and the larger $49.99. In September they always have them on sale in the stores as well. Aside from that recently went to the Chippewa Wedloc system BC recommended. Really helps with reducing maintenance time on the dozen or more stands we have out. I'm the only one in my group that maintains them. My favorite stands are the Big Game stands. Heavy as heck to hang but rock solid in the tree and the big platforms.

11-Jul-17

BmurphyJr's Link
Hawk hang-on with lone wolf sticks for a super quiet and light-weight run-n-gun set-up.

11-Jul-17

SloMo's embedded Photo
SloMo's embedded Photo
I love my Muddy stands. I use muddy pro climbing sticks and leave everything but the bottom two steps in the tree. Quiet , solid and pretty roomy for a big fat guy like me.

11-Jul-17

SloMo's embedded Photo
SloMo's embedded Photo
I love my Muddy stands. I use muddy pro climbing sticks and leave everything but the bottom two steps in the tree. Quiet , solid and pretty roomy for a big fat guy like me.

11-Jul-17
The Millennium M-25 is well constructed, solid and reasonably priced. They also include (or used to) a nice safety line. A bit heavy but OK to haul in someplace and leave it setup there.

11-Jul-17
I bought an M-25 last season and it is a very comfortable stand for all day sits. Definitely on the heavy side, but I only intend to leave in place for the most part. Millennium has an M7 model that is 8.5lbs which I am thinkin about purchasing as a pack in/out option. They also use a camlock system, where you can purchase multiple camlocks and leave on trees and just climb and plop the stand right in the camlock.

11-Jul-17
I wouldn't know what to suggest as I haven't bought a stand in years. I have a bunch of Gorilla stands but don't think they make them anymore. Very solid setup. Chippewa Wedge Loc also makes a great setup. Good luck

12-Jul-17
Over the past ten or so years, I've been using extra aluminum climbing stands as fixed stands with climbing sticks from Dick's Sporting Goods. I lock the two sections in with ratchet straps.

I've taken most of them down and now leave the climbing stands locked at the base of the tree and just use them to climb when I hunt.

12-Jul-17

Jebediah's embedded Photo
Jebediah's embedded Photo
I have one of these from "Guide Gear" which I like--fairly inexpensive and nice big platform.

12-Jul-17
I have a Hawk Combat and Milennium M-25. Both are decent quality but heavy. Got them on sale at Cabela's. The M-25 is heavier but more comfortable. The mesh built in seat is nice. The Hawk has a big fat seat that's removable. I use Hawk Helium climbing sticks which are light. I take them with me but leave the stand locked up.

12-Jul-17
Summit Peak and some old thing I do not even remember what it was. Summit is very comfy for an old guy 52, arm rests make it easier on the back. Now if I could just get that cup holder :)

12-Jul-17

Tajue17's embedded Photo
Tajue17's embedded Photo
I have two fav's,,, a LW assault with LW ladders and a loc-on with Jim stepp tree steps or millennium steps whatever I'm in the mood for but I don't go above 12' max and like my portables on an oak or maple that is tucked into the side of a thick pine .

12-Jul-17
Lots of good info! Just found a great deal on a LW assault via craigslist. Also sounds like the millenium stands from Dicks are decent. For those that use them, do they stay comfortable for an all day sit?

13-Jul-17
The millennium seats are a mesh instead of the usual pad. I find them very comfortable and they don't get waterlogged like some of the cushioned ones can get left out in the weather. I also have a LW though and that is very good, can't probably go wrong with either one.

13-Jul-17
I'm usually cheap and by a cheap dick's field and stream lock on and their ladder sticks. I don't usually have long sits locally, so that does the trick, but they are very uncomfortable. I have a Muddy to put out this season and an older API that are pretty comfortable.

13-Jul-17
Lone Wolf Assault 2 w/ LW sticks Molle pack straps / stealth strips on frame & sticks, inner tube on buckles / HME bow arm bracketed under the seat / DIY rope wrap on platform edge / bottom stick extended with tubular webbing loops / petzl climbing harness w/ ropeman 2 ascender for my line-mans belt, still using a prusik on my tether. check DIY Sportsman's youtube page for good info on most of my mods

The assault 2 is one of the smaller platforms LW offers. Not cheap but rock solid. I hunt 99% public , mobile set-up, pack in and out every time. Decided that spending the money for quality once was the best route. Wasn't comfortable with leaving stands out on public, or hunting one spot all the time. With the smaller platform and LW batwing I can hang in almost any tree regardless of shape / crookedness. I keep extra webbing to extend my sticks and stand straps when I want to hang in a bigger diameter tree. I'm 6'3'' 190 and the small platform doesnt bother me, I'll hang as high or low as needed for good lanes / visibility / wind etc. The Molle straps were like 20 bucks for a waist belt and shoulder straps from an army surplus store, great investment.

13-Jul-17
I mostly hunt mobile, but have returned to more fixed sets the last few years... I leave the fixies in place, thus, pretty much am expecting them to walk away. So... I use basic Dicks stands that are like 30 bucks on sale after the season and the same companies climbing stick set up. That has worked well for me the past few years when using fixies, and amazingly, has not walked off... yet.

• Sitka Gear