dbl lung 17-Jul-17
bobbinhood 17-Jul-17
huntnfish43 18-Jul-17
Live2hunt 18-Jul-17
Drop Tine 18-Jul-17
skookumjt 21-Jul-17
12-Jul-17

Tradman and Huntress's Link
Just thought I'd share this here since WI was mentioned in the article. There is now proof that CWD is transmitted to primates who eat infected meat.

http://www.jsonline.com/story/sports/columnists/paul-smith/2017/06/28/macaque-study-heightens-concerns-human-susceptibility-cwd/430046001/

12-Jul-17
While I would not feed my family any venison that I knew came from a CWD infected deer, I have to wonder about this. I believe that CWD was first recognized in something like 1967. There has to be an awfully large number of infected mule deer that were not yet displaying symptoms that have been eaten by hunters in the last 50 years. Where is the epidemic of Variant Creutzfeldt–Jakob Disease in Colorado hunters?

12-Jul-17
No mention of an epidemic or even that it will/can be transmitted to humans. Study simply says they can't disprove that it can transfer (which they can't at this time), hence the caution, the article plays it up a bit but that's the jist, Meateater podcast with CWD expert basically said the same thing. Nothing wrong with letting people make their own informed decisions on whether to eat or not with the simple testing we have available.

12-Jul-17
So we think we know that CWD is caused by the CWD prions. Where and how did this originally come from or have CWD prions and the prions that cause mad cow been present forever? Could it just be a matter that science has advanced enough to diagnose diseases that we couldn't determine the cause of 100+ years ago?

12-Jul-17
Woodsdweller, I tried to include the words "in primates" in the title but there is a limited number of characters allowed. Thanks,

-Cheryl

12-Jul-17
X2 neverbait very true

15-Jul-17
+1 Neverbait

16-Jul-17
I appreciate any information Cheryl. I am not looking to eat CWD infected deer or feed them to my family to put it to the test. I do all of my own butchering and thus avoid the sausage scenario of multiple deer batches.

I'm not looking to be cavalier about CWD. I want to be prudent.

But since there seems to be a long incubation period between a deer's exposure and it displaying symptoms, it seems logical that there have been numerous deer with abnormal prions consumed by hunters.

Perhaps eating eyeballs or injecting spinal fluid would result in successful transmission of the disease across the species barrier. I'll skip that as well as the large batch sausage.

I do not, however, find this thread to be stupid. Thank you for posting up the info.

16-Jul-17
I agree with grossklw. Some are trying to make the article more than it is and poo-poo the intentions. I found it to be a good read. I personally would not consume a deer with CWD or give some to anyone I know. Just my opinion and approach on the matter.

17-Jul-17
Sounds like someone trying to save those animals who are not infected. Scare everyone away and those infected will die but the others will be safe from those weapon toting rednecks.

17-Jul-17
Besides the animals/apes/monkeys that were infected with the CWD were injected with the prion! This testing was done in England for what its worth! The injection was to the brain, DUH! I agree with db lung! It sounds if the PETA folks are at it again! Its been here for years. If ya don't eat it, DON"T HUNT IT!!!!!! I've eaten 4 that have tested positive! As it was warned, I cut my own up and NO BONES were cut, the brain, tonge were Not eaten! So I basically fillet my deer and it is and was EXCELLENT! I will continue to eat venison and hunt it! Good Luck this fall!

18-Jul-17
How was the steak prepared, grilled, pan fried or tartare? Was it rare, medium rare, or well done and was it served with or without Au Jus and mushrooms? Did they add on the shrimp or the soup and the salad bar, and did they get dessert? What did they drink with the steak dinner. Also I wonder at what stage the CWD deer were in? Did the deer naturally get CWD or was it introduced.

It should be noted that these same researcher's were laughed at by the outdoor media when they were in Madison a few years ago when they were working on a vaccine that showed promise. Than again any vaccine would have to be administered to deer via feeding so that probably explains it. Now this new findings are gospel.

HF43

18-Jul-17
Whenever I hear of any meat to human problems, my first thought is the anti-meat, anti-hunting, anti-etc. groups vomiting this stuff out to the public. Same with the lead contamination from shot deer.

18-Jul-17

Drop Tine's Link
Here is someone that disagrees with the opening link.

21-Jul-17
This topic is what first brought me to the WI forum. My farm is in MO (I live in KS near the KS/MO border, my registration is honest). Carroll county, where my farm is at, is in the CWD area. The state has been aggressive about eradicating deer in the counties that are part of the CWD area. Carroll has not had a case yet, but an adjacent county has.

Not to start a fight, but I am not supportive of the philosophy of controlling this by killing off the deer. It just seems to be an over-reaction, so I appreciate when you guys update what is going on in your state. And I admit that I am very ignorant to this disease, but JMO it seems that the scientist know very little as well. I am currently of the mind-set that it has been around for a long time, maybe even forever. But, I hope we find out soon. Thanks.

21-Jul-17
In my opinion it's a matter balance. This disease is most commonly spread between deer so the higher the deer density, the higher the rate of transmission will be. In theory eradication would prevent the disease spreading geographically. This is not only impossible, it is extremely unpopular, and extremely expensive.

I think a reasonable solution is to keep the population as low as the public will tolerate as well as focusing on harvesting the mature animals that have a higher infection rate.

The mentality that we should ignore this disease that is 100% fatal, has an infection rate this starting to increase exponentially in the "hot zone", and is expanding geographically is about the most foolish approach possible.

21-Jul-17
Thanks, and good info. My lack of understanding with the eradication in certain areas has to do with the current belief that the prions can stay in the ground for decades. If this is true, then the eradication would have to be for an extended period of time, long enough that some would not experience deer hunting again in that area in their lifetime. Just doesn't seem to make sense, but I can be missing something?

• Sitka Gear