Kansasclipper 22-Jul-17
turkulese 26-Jul-17
turkulese 26-Jul-17
z hunter 26-Jul-17
Kansasclipper 26-Jul-17
turkulese 27-Jul-17
writer 27-Jul-17
12-Jul-17
Figured i would do something most will find strange...... But start a POSITIVE (bet a paycheck it wont end that way) thread of what everyone is doing to prep for season!

As for me, Cameras and mineral licks on the edge of crop fields trying to locate a deer that's worth chasing! Oh and flinging arrows a few times a week!

Whats everyone else doing to prep!?

12-Jul-17
I'm beginning to think everyone is taking this hunting thing way to seriously. Or maybe I've hunted this property to many times? I know which trails the Bucks prefer, what time of year they will start using them. Other than that, I don't want to know exactly what is , or isn't there.

I will go out next month, work a couple of food plots, then wait for cool weather.

12-Jul-17
Spotting scope and binos on bean and alfalfa fields. Talking with buddies about bring back the man's camping trip for Pheasant opener. Getting Married Saturday so as soon as life gets back to normal get back west and look for Muleys.

12-Jul-17
Blessings on your nuptials, but after 49 years of wedded bliss, back to normal is most likely a thing of your past. Lol. Good luck in scouting.

12-Jul-17
Scout year round here, have cameras out, rebuilding stands, etc

12-Jul-17
We're headed to CO for a week and a half of camping and jeeping. After we get back we'll begin mowing spots for a couple food plots, followed by spraying a few weeks later. I'm waiting until the cool weather of late August to get the stands back in the trees.

12-Jul-17
I've been busy sewing peace sign patches on all of my camo, helping old folks across the street, snuggling with puppies, learning yoga, and taking kindness courses

13-Jul-17
So sito is going to Colorado for a few weeks to is what he is trying to say.

13-Jul-17
Usual...shooting a lot, scouting with glass, running cameras, thinking about exercising;)

13-Jul-17
Advice on scouting with glass on a piece that the field and entry points aren't visible except for on the other end of the field, Matt? Really want to figure out where to set up early season, but I'm afraid of pressuring it if I walk up into the field to glass. Put up more cameras?

13-Jul-17
Lots of cameras is an option I didn't mention, but thought of. Look for tracks and put up cameras on field edges. I would sneak in on the edges to glass like I mentioned in my PM. Don't worry too much about pressure on the fringe. If you went into the heart of the property that would be another story. To hunt early season on a pattern you have to actually establish the pattern and if you don't get in to glass and find that it will be pretty difficult. Send me a topography map if you get a chance or are able to.

Matt

14-Jul-17
Checking stands to see which ones I want to drag across creation for some August Coues hunting

19-Jul-17
Knee surgery at the end of April put a damper on preparations for my first season as an archer. Just last week I was able to get back to practicing, though. I'm doing a lot of PT and hoping I'll be able to hike well enough to give it a go this fall.

19-Jul-17
I've found the less time I "prep", the more deer I see in the fall. Probably because I'm not out in the woods educating the local bucks. Last summer was the last summer for me. I waded through my corn to check cameras and came home with 60+ tiny ticks that itched and bit like crazy. Most of my best bow hunts were early morning climbing a tree and hanging the stand in the dark.

19-Jul-17
Seen some things yesterday that get me really excited. Birds lots of birds and quite a few deer as well. This fall maybe pretty amazing.

19-Jul-17
Mornings below 70, work the dog on some long blinds and multiple marks.

Mornings it's above 70, just mainly swim him and still have to let him rest in the shade a bit.

Talking to landowners and other hunters, like Matt, to find out what their scouting is showing. Going to be some impressive areas for pheasant and quail, and some places with next to none. Worried about ducks because of azz-kicking drought to the north.

Did spend about a half-hour yesterday sawing antlers off skull caps to decorate tables for my daughter's wedding in September, in Yosemite. (Already sent tail feathers from pheasants I shot, and from turkeys she shot, for centerpieces.)

Nightly praying that if I get laid off, it's Nov.1 and not Jan. 31. :-)

20-Jul-17
Matte and Writer: Are you guys seeing young Quail or Pheasants? No one I have talked to in the Chase County area have seen any young Quail. I am seeing quite few Male Quail acting like there is a nest nearby, but no young birds yet.

20-Jul-17
I have still not seen any broods of pheasants. Did have a hen in the yard yesterday but no little ones spotted. I am seeing quite a few little turkeys, 2 different clutches yesterday. Pheasant hunting will be very poor around here. Talked to a few farmers that did not see any pheasant broods during wheat harvest in both Ness and Rush counties.

20-Jul-17
Little quail all over the yard this past week in NE

20-Jul-17
Interesting, just talked to a game warden, who I trust, and he said it was going to be a great year based on what he's seen in Barton and Rush counties. Last year he found 47 different coveys of quail. A bit south, a buddy is covered up with young, both.

20-Jul-17
We have several pairs whistling around and coming in to our bird feed. Not much feed around us but some nice cover for pastureland.

20-Jul-17
I am not seeing any and I go out and travel the roads every evening. I was worried this would be the case. Wheat fields had several inches of water in them in early and mid May and hail in early June. Maybe I am just not in the right spot at the right time but I am seeing little turkey chicks. Got some on trail camera.

20-Jul-17
I am seeing plenty of turkey chicks in both KS and MO. On my walk this AM 3 hens with about 15-18 chicks between them were bunched up feeding in a field. Flocks might be starting to come back?

20-Jul-17
You know how it goes, Clip. One man's worst season is another man's best. You and your dogs will find more birds in areas with fair populations than most hunters will in good areas. I just want a cool, November morning, with a frost heavy enough it falls from the tall grass as I pass and my dog just wants to roll around in it before we get serious. Good deal, Frank.

21-Jul-17

Matt Palmquist's Link
For the bird hunters:)

21-Jul-17
For those with reading comprehension problems - "But start a POSITIVE (bet a paycheck it wont end that way) thread of what everyone is doing to prep for season" Doesn't say what season, Matt. :-)

21-Jul-17
For those with situational awareness problems....this is bowsite.com. You bird hunting with your bows? :P

21-Jul-17
Who says you can't shoot a pheasant from your tree stand with your bow? Or shoot one over your corn pile with a cross bow! Think I might get safety harnesses for my dogs!

21-Jul-17
Corn pile with a crossbow...now that was pretty funny:) I was just providing an avenue to discuss bird hunting where there may be more conversation.

21-Jul-17
To answer the brood questions yes I have seen alot of broods all with 8+ birds these suckers are kind of hard to count. Deer numbers seem to be way up in the area I travel to get back and see mom and dad. My Schedule ground is full of everything from deer to quail. Going to probly lay off the Mule deer this year and figure out some new ground. Season is rolling in quick and a lot can change between now and November. Only time will tell.

21-Jul-17
Sorry, won't happen again. We all know when bowhunters gather at the pro shop, or 3D range, they only talk about archery and bowhunting. A lot of bowhunting going on now when it's 105 degrees.

21-Jul-17
Been drinking Ice cold beer driving around looking for Mr. Big in an air conditioned truck. When I spot one I drink 2 more ice cold ones while I pattern his movements. If I can figure him out right away I smoke a doobie(always clams my nerves). Its going to be a good season this year I got that feeling. The more beer I drink the bigger they get! I forgot to mention I got an Oxycontin habit as well.

21-Jul-17
Well I don't drink alcohol, but I do ride around most evenings. I did see a brood tonite. Big chicks. Lots of quail tonite.

21-Jul-17
I don't think Matt P. participates in the March Madness bracket challenge either. Come on over to the dark side with us Jayhawk and Shocker fans.

22-Jul-17
I was just too late last year for the bracket:)

I was sitting on a hill tonight looking for deer. Nice night, saw a few deer nothing huge, but always fun to watch them!

22-Jul-17
Sent you a PM TwoDogs with some pretty cool quail talk.

22-Jul-17
Rocket, just keep doing that while you're 20 ft up a tree without a safety harness

22-Jul-17
I do Thorton its never been a problem. The more I drink and smoke the steadier I get. What do you do? Tell yourself how great you are?

22-Jul-17
...actually he works in an ER and tries to put people back together who drink and smoke when they're up a tree.

22-Jul-17
Yep, I know he takes about himself nonstop here on bow site. He is always saving lives. What a super hero.

22-Jul-17
Can we get back on subject please, "PHEASANTS"! When did Willie Nelson join this site anyway?

23-Jul-17
Shot my bow for the first time in two weeks. It has just been too hot for this wimp.

9 arrows. 15, 25, 35, 45. All in the kill zone. No booze involved. ;)

26-Jul-17
Trying to get in shape. Haven't taken care of myself for the last 13 years, really felt it last bow season. Lifting, Running and hiking as much as time will allow.

26-Jul-17
Since someone brought up quail... what's the best way to go about scouting for them? More specifically scouting for the chicks?

26-Jul-17
Ray, ive been working on 9 center pivots..which are watering soybeans or corn..i hear them whistle every where i go..some have been 400y in the middle of a bean field.. I think if you go park along a ditch,..with weeds, woods..plumthickets..shut it off , roll down the window...you will hear them within 15min

26-Jul-17
Just whistle! They like edges. Especially around beans and milo.

27-Jul-17
Yeah, I do hear them whistle... I know of many places where they are or at least used to be. Just curious on how some get a chick count?

27-Jul-17
A lot of the brood survey is simply driving roads, especially early in the morning. The true whistle counts are earlier in the spring, and a way to count adults. Also, about any time you hear the assembly whistle this time of the year it's a hen calling to a brood.

• Sitka Gear