Mike F 13-Jul-17
Steve White 13-Jul-17
Crusader dad 13-Jul-17
RUGER1022 14-Jul-17
Tweed 15-Jul-17
Bloodtrail 15-Jul-17
Hoot 15-Jul-17
12-Jul-17
My neighbor has a yellow lab that wonders on my property. The dog is very nice and I haven't witnessed it harassing wildlife but im sure it wont help me see deer this fall. It tends to walk our atv trees to our backyard. Ive spoke to the owners who apologize but it hasnt stopped. I plan on trapping coyotes this fall and now am worried an accidental dog catch wont look like an accident. Other than getting the law involved what any tips?

12-Jul-17
Fences make good neighbors.

12-Jul-17
I would let them know you plan on trapping and tell them that you expect not to be held liable should you catch the dog. Explain to them that you will be sending a certified letter just so it is in writing to save you from any lawsuit you may get hit with should the dog be injured. Reassure them that there is no malice on your part and you just want to have your bases covered. You may even go so far as to ask them to sign a liability waiver. If they love their dog they will make sure it doesn't escape again.

12-Jul-17
Simply tell him well ahead of time you are putting out traps and tell him your putting out kill snares. Explain how they can kill a dog. Give him a gentle reminder before season. That thought alone should make him keep his dog home. After that you've done all you can.

12-Jul-17
Do not tell him you're putting out snares....they're illegal in Wisconsin.

I would be honest and firm. You bought the land for deer hunting and other wild life viewing and the dog is interfering with that. You also plan on canine trapping and do not want the great, friendly pooch to get injured. I'd do this by inviting him over.

12-Jul-17
Snares aren't illegal in WI, killer snares are. You can snare during the snaring season.

12-Jul-17
Snares are illegal in WI. Cable restraints are what's legal in WI. There is a difference.

12-Jul-17
Keep reminding them there dog is on the loose and is bothering your rabbits and squirrels on YOUR property. Its not right your lovely peace loving squirrels should live in constant fear of the big giant dog. Could you please keep him home 100% percent of the time. Do not tell them your trapping or hunting but be relentless in personally telling them every time the dog is on your property.... photos sharing would be nice. Continue on with your trapping and hunting and if the neighbor shows up looking for there dog some day, look suprised and add, you thought they were being diligent in keeping it under control, just got keep looking, he has got to be around somewheres, it is such unfortunate habit of wandering far and wide .

12-Jul-17
In most townships in WI this "stray" dogs fall under the duties of the township chairman. Get in touch with your township chairman and he/she should be able to help you out.

12-Jul-17
I know you prefer to not have to go the law route but I've had a few times where a dog at large ticket being issued was the only thing that got people's attention and ended the problems. I would suggest talking to the owners again and very clearly explaining your concerns and that it simply can not keep happening, hunting season is too short to put up with that bs. On the other hand I've had people who simply could not figure out how to contain their own dog as if it was out of their control (too many helpless people in this world) and in those cases some helpful tips (training, invisible fence, etc) was all it took. Good luck.

13-Jul-17
Use laminated or double laminated traps with an offset and the dog shouldn't get more than a bruise if caught. I use MB650's and Sterling MJ 500's with a shock spring. I have never had any damage to the paw area. If they were strong enough to break bones my fingers would be in a cast every year.

13-Jul-17
Thanks the tips. Im the newbie of the country block and seemed to get some odd glances from my older neighbors. Seems they believe in the first come, first served rules despite who pays the taxes.

13-Jul-17
Stay the high ground and go and voice your concerns with them even if you have to hold your breath while doing so. Nothing worse than an untrained dog. Don't claim the dog it's only as smart as its masters.

13-Jul-17
Have a talk with them and see what happens. I had a neighbor that let his lab run all the time. One morning while I was deer hunting the dog came to visit me. I took him home and told the owner the next time he will be taken to the pound. A week later the same thing happened. I took the dog to the pound and called the neighbor and left him a message. Never saw the dog again....

13-Jul-17
Never take the dog. Unless perhaps it has been hurt, and life is in jeopardy. Otherwise you could be charged with dognapping!! If talking does not work. Than you need to contact your local police/sheriff or animal control officer. Do not make any threats, or insinuations to such. Could only get you in trouble.

13-Jul-17
I still stick to my original post. Warn them about your trapping and hunting. It sounds like a nice dog. Most folks who have nice dogs love them. They will take care of the issue so long as you are stern and up front but not an asshole. My neighbor is currently dealing with the same thing and ever since he grew the balls to say what was really needed his new (our new) neighbors have been very cognizant of their dogs whereabouts.

If it were a vicious or mean dog I'd have given the advice toSS&shut up.

14-Jul-17
What Crusader says . Years ago 2 dogs were visiting the farm constantly frim a house a mile down the road . After 2 warnings I grabbed the dogs feeding them every leftover in the fridge . plus 1 lb of liver paste . Each dog was given an entire box of Exlax just before I dropped them off .

I told the owner that I saw them eating something in the north 40 .

Never saw those hounds again .

15-Jul-17
Ruger! ROFl right now!

15-Jul-17
Dognapping - isn't that like leave sleeping dogs lie.... The BEST way to go is as many have said. TALK with your neighbor...again. Explain you don't want to be a pain in the butt, but you need the dog off the property. Tel;l them in no uncertain terms if it happens again you will call the authorities, but you HATE to do that.

That should work - if not - call 5-O. Better yet - catch the dog and drive it over in your car and start your conversation as you take the dog out of the car - great effect!

15-Jul-17
State law - Dogs running at large. I believe there is a copy in the bear regs.

• Sitka Gear