bigbuckbob 30-Aug-17
NeHunt 31-Aug-17
Clabman 31-Aug-17
Clabman 31-Aug-17
travistroop 04-Sep-17
RidgeRunner 14-Sep-17
travistroop 15-Sep-17
13-Jul-17
Based on past experiences, when do you think we will be able to tell what the acorn crop will be looking like for the season? If the acorn crop is bad, what do you do to switch gears and change your plan of attack for the early season? Aside from agricultural fields, any other food sources to really try and key in on?

13-Jul-17
Hey buddy!! I think it will depend on where your at this year. Gypsy moths have really took out the canopy in some parts of the state. Does this mean good or bad well I am not entirely sure. If its hot I would key in on water sources. I prefer to hunt the transition areas and bedding which all depends on the area I am in.

13-Jul-17
Will be a great apple crop this year if you can hunt them. Great for early season.

13-Jul-17
I think it be a good year for those not hit with the caterpillars, the area i hunt still has quite a few acorns from last season.

13-Jul-17
No apple hunting allowed

14-Jul-17
I just planted my acorns so I think it going to be quite a long time before I can tell what kind of crop I'm going to have. But then again, you all know I'm a pretty patient guy.

Sorry rdeenen - If there are lots acorns the deer move less, which for me means I move more. Still hunting seems to be more interesting if not more successful in finding deer during this period. Getting a clean shot off is another story though, but I like the challenge.

And acorns are not the only nuts in the woods that you need to consider, keep that in mind.

14-Jul-17
I think the areas hit with the gypsy moths will be most productive. Limited food means more movement.

14-Jul-17
Bob,

Seventeen growth rings doesn't make a very large tree, right?

14-Jul-17
That's true WB.

26-Jul-17

travistroop's embedded Photo
Caterpillar acorns
travistroop's embedded Photo
Caterpillar acorns
The acorns that got eaten by the mouths are dropping these little acorns already. I think it's going to be a great season if you can fin the trees dropping

26-Jul-17
But they did grow a lot of their leafs back

27-Jul-17
I have zero moth damage and I get the little acorns every year in the yard, some more than others. Seeing a few this year, not as much in the past couple though.

08-Aug-17
Not sure if its the cycle thing but anyone notice hardly any reds and the whites are dropping already..northern ffld cnty

08-Aug-17
Late dropping oaks will yield good hunts this year. Find them.

26-Aug-17
Any one seeing any acorns on the trees that got eaten by the mouths?

26-Aug-17
Acorns all over the place at my spot

26-Aug-17
Got two big reds and four big whites in my front yard starting to drop, not a lot though. Fairfield

28-Aug-17
Silent you live in Fairfield? or are you talking Fairfield County?

28-Aug-17
I was more or less trying to find out in the caterpillar eaten trees are still going to be making acorns.

28-Aug-17
Nothing in my yard, and I did some scouting yesterday and didn't see an acorn anywhere.

28-Aug-17
Didn't see any out in the Eastern part of the state yesterday

28-Aug-17
less acorns means the deer will be moving more looking for acorns.....

28-Aug-17
Live in fairfield Longbeard

28-Aug-17
I was i ffld over the wkend..a buddy has a huuuuge black oak with nothing on it..usually dropping by now..no reds either...hes a tree guy and says its going to be a crappy year for acorns..

29-Aug-17
Well hopefully some of you have apple trees to hunt around, they seem to be producing well this year

30-Aug-17
Plenty of fresh red oaks on the ground in the NW corner.

30-Aug-17
Finding a decent amount of reds but not many whites in RI.

30-Aug-17
Got the tree rats dropping half eaten corns all over my hot tub and patio. Bastards!

31-Aug-17
In my part of Fairfield County, the acorn crop is definitly down significantly from last year, but at the same time, i'm seeing alot more beech nuts than I have in the last few years.

Might lead to larger grazing areas.

31-Aug-17
Acorn crop is way down from the last 2 years in Orange and Milford.

31-Aug-17
Acorn crop is way down from the last 2 years in Orange and Milford.

04-Sep-17
When scouting yesterday and found some trees that have acorns, the high wind was blowing the down. They still looked really green, not ready to fall yet

14-Sep-17
Acorn crop in shoreline zones are very sparse this year. Hickory, walnut, and beech crop is very good in comparison.

15-Sep-17
How do the deer like those other nuts?

• Sitka Gear