steve 21-Jul-17
travistroop 26-Jul-17
bigbuckbob 27-Jul-17
Wrangler06x 27-Jul-17
longbeard 27-Jul-17
Garbanzo 02-Aug-17
Wrangler06x 03-Aug-17
14-Jul-17
Brand new to the site and only one season old actively hunting. Never got into it when I was a kid, no family/friends that hunted, so no opportunity, but it always interested me. Finally met a friend that got me into this last season and now I'm absolutely hooked. Spent at least 70 hours in the woods last season in the stand (might not sound like a lot, but it's what I was able to do) saw a few deer, nothing close enough, likely made a TON of mistakes worsening my odds, but it is what it is. I'm in my early 30's, so it's not too late to pick up something new and enjoy it for a long time to come. Unfortunately, I have no access (so far) to any private land and have only hunted state. Seems quite the challenge. This is going to sound extremely stupid, but I'll ask anyway. .. are there any good tips for hunting state land, or all the same principles apply to state as do private land? Just seems like there is so much out there, so many places for them to go that you arent!! Unfortunately, the friend of mine that started this obsession has recently decided not to be driven to hunt much any more and does not plan to go out this season, so I'm left with this itch i need to scratch, and sort of figure this out on my own now. Just looking for a little friendly advice. Also, seeing a lot of the posts here, it seems my choice of tool might be a little looked down on (xbow)... unfortunately, when I got bitten by the deer hunting bug, I had a pretty good rotator cuff gym injury going on and had a difficult time drawing back on a compound... had to get something to get me going immediately, so xbow was the answer, though I fully intend on looking into a compound as soon as funds allow. Again, any help would be great. Thanks

15-Jul-17
Were do you live ?

15-Jul-17
State Land can be very good, that is mostly what I hunt. The best piece of advice I can give you when hunting State land is to spend a lot of time in the areas you want to hunt. The deer will have their preferred travel areas, bedding etc. It may not be as apparent at first compared to hunting a small parcel of private but you will be able to identify where they like to be with enough time spent.

15-Jul-17
Welcome aboard bud!!!..

"are there any good tips for hunting state land, or all the same principles apply to state as do private land? "...i hunt some tiny pieces of private land (1acre) that i know are used mainly as travel routes.the trick is pulling the deer off neighboring properties onto mine..then theres the tracking issues,getting permission from adjoining properties to track or possibly hunt..i also have other private spots that are as big as some state land that i treat as if its state land,finding food, bedding ect..it depends on how much time you put in scouting

15-Jul-17
Like Steve said where do you live??lol.. on my second season alone and my first couldn't of been more magical.. give us some more info. We got some awesome guys here and a bunch of great advice!!

15-Jul-17
Thanks for the responses guys. I live in Hamden, but certainly willing to go anywhere. Would love to get one under my belt this season, but had a good experience every time I went out last year...seemed to have learned something every time out, and just sitting up in the tree was therapeutic enough ha ha. Would definitely love to happen across some decent private land, as a lot of the posts I've read seem to come out of private land, but finding a nice state piece sounds like an interesting challenge too. As far as scouting goes, I've gotten out a couple times this past month, but haven't had a ton of time (have a 7 month old that I did not have last season). Also nervous to put out my trail cam on public land, but plenty of people do it, I suppose it's a risk/reward thing. But yes, any and all advice would be great! Definitely would love to be able to harvest something from the woods this year!

15-Jul-17
Sorry..... no advice for xbow hunters here.

JK. Welcome aboard. No scratching will soothe the itch.

Location, location, location. Do a lot of scouting. And yeah, ask all the questions you need here. We have guys that know a lot and some that think they know everything. Ignore the ones that think they know everything. They make the ones of us that do look bad.

15-Jul-17
Ha ha, CTcrow...yeah yeah, I know, it's a crossbow. ..too the bow safety course last February, hurt the rotator cuff in late April, and really wanted to go out opening day, only thing I had time to do and practice with that I could physically use comfortably was the crossbow. Hopefully during this season or at the end when some things go on sale, I'll be looking into a "real" bow, ha ha. But for now, crossbow it is.

15-Jul-17
Welcome aboard Wrangler I only hunt state land and have for 46 years. I suggest you get a map of the state land you want to hunt. They have them on the Deep website. Most guys park in the parking lots designated on the map so look for private land permission just to cross their land to get into the back of the state land and let the hunters push the deer towards you.

And just like everyone else will tell you you need to spend a lot of time scouting, determining where the deer are feeding, where their bedding, and then find a good Tree in between those two areas. What state land have you looked at so far.

15-Jul-17
BBB...I have mainly hunted different areas of cockaponset state forest so far, as that's where the two friends of mine were familiar with and had some spots. Different points of access was something I hadn't considered but makes perfect sense...suppose I need to do a little research on that. That's the part I'm definitely lacking is a strategic approach, that seems so important when hunting large state land. Would definitely like to make some more friends that hunt and willing to talk/mentor so I can be successful at this and hopefully pass it along to the next generation...already thinking about that and she's only 7 months old! Ha ha.

15-Jul-17
BBB pretty much beat me to it, but, first look for where the deer are, or want to be, then look where hunters enter the woods or hunt. If you hunt where others are, expect poor results. Get deep or find an out of the way spot for deer to be pushed to. Good luck.

15-Jul-17
Tip = Deer like to hide daytime on state land and feed on private land grass after dark, thus they leave private land in the early mornings to hide on state land. Tip = Get a climbing treestand and safety harness.

IMHO, the string guns have short string lifespans.

15-Jul-17
Thanks for the tip Wild Bill...my "string gun" is in perfect working order and I plan on keeping it tuned and in working order...again, not my 1st choice, but wanted to get into hunting as soon as I could, had the opportunity, and had an uncomfortable time drawing back on 75lbs, so go the xbow. But certainly would love to get in touch with some folks that want to show me the ropes and am willing to learn whatever anyone cares to teach!!

16-Jul-17
75lbs?that be a lot,drop down to 65..

16-Jul-17
Do you have plans if you get one butcher gutting ? Have all that set up too especially early season . Steve

16-Jul-17
Notme- yes, the friends bow that I tried shooting with was set up for 75lbs, and I understand that draw weight is adjustable. I tried to mimic drawing back and holding it there using the resistance bands (basically huge rubber band) that I used to rehab my shoulder. Was pretty uncomfortable holding for more than 30 - 45 seconds...and I estimate the holding weight to be about 25 - 30 lbs??...that's what drove me to the xbow at the time. Steve - butchering is a good call...I've been thinking about that too. My friend has done plenty from start to finish, and actually prefers to process his own. I also have seen there are a few guys on here that do it too?? Either one will certainly be an option until I learn how to do it myself.... Need help though with finding something to butcher first ha ha

16-Jul-17
You can shoot a 45 or 50 lb bow and kill deer just fine. There isn't much reason to be drawing 75lbs. Also some cams have more comfortable draw cycles than others. It might be beneficial to visit a couple of archery shops and draw different bows set up for lower draw weights. You may surprise yourself.

16-Jul-17
Draw weight isn't the issue anymore, as my shoulder has been fully recovered for a while now. The issue now is $$. As you all know, it costs a few dollars to start from scratch, stand, bow, camo, etc, etc. I have more than a few dollars invested so far, and it'll be a tough sell to the wife to spend the money for the compound when I have a perfectly good xbow ha ha. Any suggestions on a good bow shop? I definitely want to start looking at compounds when I'm ready to make the purchase.

16-Jul-17
Newbury archery in goshen....it might be a haul for you but barry and his crew know theyre chit..take the wife n kids..tell her its a jaunt to the country for antiqueing ...lol

16-Jul-17
@Wrangler06x: I sent you a private message. Let me know what you think. Thank you.

16-Jul-17

shawnm's embedded Photo
The old bow
shawnm's embedded Photo
The old bow
shawnm's embedded Photo
New martin
shawnm's embedded Photo
New martin
I know this sounds crazy and 99% of the guys on here wouldn't be caught dead with one but I have a Martin. Just recently purchased it at the end of last season at Walmart and I got a great deal on it. It was 320 and 50% off so I only paid 160. Last year I killed both of my deer with an old school Jennings fire star. Took down my doe and 9 point buck no problem. It was maxed out at 48lbs draw and it's an older bow. Here's a pic of the new bow and old one. Just throwing this out because it might be helpful. You don't always need the best of the best to get the job done.

17-Jul-17

Toonces's Link
Read this book, get a map of your area, and try out the stand points the book recommends, especially during any phase of the rut. Don't be discouraged if the topography looks good, but there isn't any sign. Hunt it anyway.

17-Jul-17
Shawnm...great advice...something that shoots straight and consistently and something I can shoot comfortably is what I'll be after. Likely will explore the used market potentially as well. The most important thing I'm concentrating on is getting some good spots or access to some good private land, possibly someone who wants to mentor me and seeing some deer! Had a blast last season just going out and even seeing deer on 3 occasions. Unfortunately none came nearly close enough, but to see them out there was pretty cool. Toonces... thanks for the recommendation! Just ordered that book. Looks like it will be some good reading.

17-Jul-17
Nothing bad about cross bows. Most important thing is to respect the animal, only take ethical shots and never give up on a blood trail. Enjoy your time out there and good luck this season!

17-Jul-17
Another good book

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/dead-on-deer-anatomy-and-shot-placement-for-bow-and-gun-hunters-tracking-techniques-for-wounded-whitetails-john-jeanneney/1121613177?ean=9780972508933&st=PLA&sid=BNB_DRS_Core+Shopping+Books_00000000&2sid=Google_&sourceId=PLGoP78860

17-Jul-17
Shawnm, A Martin??? Really? You're better off throwing darts at the deer. You have to spend at least a grand on your bow. Come on you're not a rookie anymore. Lol I have a Mathews Switchback. What does everybody else shoot?

17-Jul-17
Lol smoothdraw. I wonder what the value of my old Jennings is.. lol.. I don't think you could give it away... yet still took two nice deer in my first season. Of course it's nice to have quality equipment and reliable but It's the shooter just as much it is the equipment.. having the patience to wait the deer out.. countless hrs of scouting.. playing the wind and the hardest for me not letting buck fever get the best of Ya..

17-Jul-17
Did you read that book n8tureboy ?? I was thinking of getting it.

17-Jul-17
I'm from PA but read this site often. Some good subjects, interesting information, and experienced bow hunters. I comment rarely I'm more of a reader

Maybe things are different in CT, but in PA private land is cherished. If your expecting people to open up the doors to there private land hunting spots I thing your mistaken. Access can be obtained, but in most cases it needs to be worked for by knocking on doors. That said there are plenty of deer on State Land. Finding them is about putting time in the woods. Continue to move around and you will learn thru your experiences in the woods. You can see what sign looks like on the internet or in books. Take those mental images into the woods and you will learn...trust me. Yes a mentor to show you and learn from is a nice luxury, but its not the only way to learn and become a good hunter. If I can give any advice it would be to respect the animals and be selective with shot opportunities and placement. Harvesting the animal as quickly and ethically as possible is the goal.

I choose to use traditional equipment and compounds. Your choice is your choice and if its legal then don't worry about it. That said I will strongly recommend giving all of them a try when able.

Good luck to you.

Dave

17-Jul-17
Well said Shawn! The force is strong with you young Jedi.

18-Jul-17
Switchback ld here...to move into the big leagues you have to have tv hunter endorsed stuff...for instance i use stan potts signature series toilet paper..it shakes uncontrollably when used...lol

18-Jul-17
If you need a butcher I'm in Stratford. Nothing fancy (garage) but I know my cuts and can offer you a great processing. Depends on how culinary apt you are or I can make it as simple as stew. Your choice. I have processed for many of the people on this site. Good Luck. Aim straight.

18-Jul-17
I have a Duck Dynasty shotgun and I can't hit sh_t with it. The damn beard hair keeps getting in my eyes when I shoulder the gun. Gonna try cutting It off. Hope that doesn't void the warranty.

18-Jul-17
Just remember that any deer killed from a treestand don't count. Kill deer from the ground, it's more fun and not cheating.

18-Jul-17
XbowNY...ha ha, got it. I'm going to concentrate on actually consistently seeing deer from 20 feet in a tree first....then get tricky and hunt from the ground. I actually did sit on the ground 2 times last year, enjoyed myself, but didn't see anything ha ha.

18-Jul-17
Bbb..Sounds like a girl i once knew..

18-Jul-17
Bbb..Sounds like a girl i once knew..

18-Jul-17
xbow - I've been hunting for 48 years and never saw a deer up in a treestand. How many are you seeing? Those are damn sneaky deer.

18-Jul-17
Notme, anyone that shoots a Switchback is cool in my book ... even though you're mostly nuts.

18-Jul-17
I was completely self taught. Didn't know any hunters and no family humters. It can be done. I got three deer in my first season. I bought 4 or 5 books read everyone cover to cover. I practiced everyday with my bow. Even practiced using my climber in the yard then shooting from the correct hunting angle. Put up cameras to assess areas and scent controll is key. Finally don't burn out a stand by hunting too often. Otherwise you'll waste time. You'll figure it out and it's doable. And yes have a plan if you get a deer as well. I called butchers ahead to confirm what the drop off process was and the hours. Also figure outhow to field dress the deer.

18-Jul-17
Ill take that as a compliment sir...lol

18-Jul-17
Ill take that as a compliment sir...lol

20-Jul-17
Good thing about xbow is that you can shoot them at 90 yards.

21-Jul-17
ctcrow - where I hunt, 90 yards has about 73 trees in the way. The first 30 yards I can squeeze an arrow through them. Or are you just trying to start trouble? :)

21-Jul-17
he is always starting trouble !!LOL

26-Jul-17
Im hunting state land this year for the fist time in CT. I wanted more of a challenge. When you shoot a buck on private land it just never seemed as rewording to me because I was the only person that could go for it. You shoot a big buck on state land you know you best all the other guys :) Don't get me wrong, ANY deer could be a trophy to the shooter and SHOULD be a trophy to the shooter. I have just evolved into more of a trophy hunter. I have read a lot hunting state land and listen to a lot of pod cast. (my favorite is "Wired To Hunt) I would say do a lot of scouting but never the same spot with in two months. This time of year bring lots of bug spray. I like Islands and peninsulas in swamps. stuff that takes hip or chest waders to get to. River beds and creek bottoms are also good. TRANSITION AREAS! (pines to oaks, thick shit to big woods, ect) Go where other people are not willing to go are over look. And get yourself a light weight tree stand with some sticks. I have a muddy aerolite and its way too heavy, mainly because of the mounting system. So I just picked up an XOP vanish from Cabalas for $160. Oh and find multiple spots so you can hunt different winds and you don't blow up your only spot. I have early season spots (bedding areas) and rut spots (funnels and choke points) And don't listen to them about the Xbow shoot what you want. The gays on hear can be some real DICKS Sporting goods. But they do mean the best and just want you to learn.

27-Jul-17
Travis - leave the gays out of this please :) I agree with everything you said otherwise. One thing I would add is areas with thick mountain laurel keep most hunters away, but if you do a little work you'll find paths going through these areas. The trick is finding them and then setting up to intercept the deer before they get into the laurel. Deer will do the same thing we, do find the path of least resistance through these areas so the paths usually don't go straight up hill but along the fall line. Good luck.

27-Jul-17
Travis - thanks for some helpful advice and encouragement! I'm afraid I'm not nearly as advanced as you are in hunting state land for the "challenge"... I Ave enough of a challenge learning this stuff on my own thru experiences and reading!! But good advice on the hunting strategy for state land. I've been reading quite a bit of info, and have now been teaching myself how to digest topographic maps and aerial view maps to find some spots that I can use based on time of day and weather conditions. BBB - thanks for the advice as well... there are some areas that have similar features to what you described in the area that I hunted last year...and I did in fact overlook these as viable options to hunt!! Guess I'll ne revisiting some of these areas!

27-Jul-17
Don't worry grasshopper you will get there. Don't rush things and enjoy the ride. Take note of what most of these guys say, there is a lot of experience talking to you here on Bowsite. Soon you'll be answering questions and helping out a newbie. Good luck!

02-Aug-17
Wrangler. I live on the cheshire hamden line. There is good hunting 5 minutes away on state land. I usually look at the DEEP site and try to find a topo map of the state land and then see if you can find a late fall or winter time aerial photo of the area. You can get some idea of the parcel from that which will help to isolate where you want to spend time scouting. Best advice I can offer is to look for natural funnels where deer are likely to travel through. Dusk and Dawn are your prime times, but I've seen deer moving at times of the day. last bit of advice... practice, practice, practice

03-Aug-17
Haven't had a chance to get on here in a bit, but really wanted to thank all for your helpful responses! Got deep into reading a couple of the books that were recommended, as well as downloaded and started to look at topo maps and Google earth...I'm like a crack head looking at these maps now ha ha. My wife thinks I'm nuts. Thanks a ton for the advice

• Sitka Gear