Rut Nut 19-Jul-17
irishbow 19-Jul-17
Phil Magistro 19-Jul-17
Hoyter2804 20-Jul-17
Phil Magistro 20-Jul-17
Jeff Durnell 22-Jul-17
Phil Magistro 22-Jul-17
16-Jul-17
Anyone from SE PA ever hunt on this SGL?

17-Jul-17
No, but I am about an hour away from there. Have you checked it out? It seems too small from when I searched it on google maps. Is there more surrounding area not shown? I am about an hour away from there and have thought about checking it out at one point.

17-Jul-17
It's five minutes from my house. Drove past it yesterday for the first time. Didn't even know it was there. PGC site says it's 688 acres which is about 2 1/2 times the size of the SGL I hunt in Kutztown. Mostly a mountain top (hill top) with lots of steep sides but it beats driving 45 minutes to the other place. I plan to check it out sometime soon. Stopped at one parking lot and noticed poison ivy everywhere. Can't believe I never heard about it before.

17-Jul-17
Might need to be a billy goat.

18-Jul-17
Phil, do a Bing Map search of East Coclico Township, Pennsylvania, and you can get a very good overview/birdseye view of the entire SGL. Vinemont Road cuts through the area, and the detail is quite good.

18-Jul-17
Thanks Harry. I've done that and more. Just curious if anyone actually set foot on that parcel. BTW, most of the maps, other than the PGC map, have the SGL in the wrong place.

19-Jul-17
Is this a NEW SGL Phil? I grew up not far from there and I don't ever remember a SGL in that general vicinity. I didn't hunt back then, but I was into hiking and MTN biking so I think I would have known about it.

19-Jul-17
I don't know Perry. I've lived here for almost 25 years and when I drove by it the other day I was surprised. From what I've been able to find it was recently increased from 400+ acres to nearly 700 acres. There are four parts to it - three of them connected only at one point.

19-Jul-17
I bet it is new. Either donated land to the PGC or acquired from another non-profit org.

19-Jul-17
There was a blurb about it in an article from Game and Fish Magazine in October 2010. The article was about flintlock hunting, but it said that it was "435 acres of mainly flat farm fields." I know there's been a building boom going on out that way for over ten years now. I drive by there on my way to Middle Creek every August for the art show.

19-Jul-17

Phil Magistro's Link
I found that article and would like to know what 435 acres they are talking about when they say flat farm fields. Here's the map of the SGL.

20-Jul-17

Hoyter2804's embedded Photo
Hoyter2804's embedded Photo
Phil, 274 has been around for quite a while now but I believe they added onto it a few times aswell. There are i believe 4 parking areas between a few different roads. I never hunted it but have been thinking about it lately. I heard that some areas are hunted hard but not sure. I'm actually at the one parking area now doing some road work. If you would ever like to check it out let me know, I'll take a walk with you.

20-Jul-17
That sounds great Andy. When it cools down a bit I'll get in touch.

There are four parking areas. One of them is for a small disconnected patch on the northeast corner.

22-Jul-17
Ahh, hidden gems.

Good luck on that game lands, Phil. I've been having fun since I moved here with mini adventures on SGL 95. It's got 9383 acres on 6 tracts. At first it seemed insurmountable because of how it's broken up and some of it is hard to get to without crossing private property, but the parcels are decently marked and are slowly shrinking in size as I spend more time on them and pick them apart. I downloaded a decent map of them and found another little piece less than 3 miles from here that I've been by and didn't know it existed.

I was talking with a coworker who grew up here, and lives in the midst of it like I do and he told me about some other interesting places to check out that I haven't been to yet. I'd be out there right now, but I'm stuck here today without my truck. Tomorrow maybe if it doesn't rain all day.

I hope your new find opens some opportunities for you.

22-Jul-17
Thanks Jeff. It would be nice to have a place close to home to hunt once in a while.

Good luck with yours too.

• Sitka Gear