BruceP 19-Jul-17
BruceP 19-Jul-17
Proline 19-Jul-17
Will 19-Jul-17
Fatkid1979 20-Jul-17
Proline 20-Jul-17
18-Jul-17

Belchertown Bowman's Link
So I was recently playing with my Iphone compass app and realized it also has a side function, it shows angles,.. If you hold the phone at an angle it will show the exact angle.

So when up 20 feet in my stand if I hold the phone at a 45 degree angle and sight down the edge of the phone it points at the ground that is exactly 28.3 feet away. A squared, plus B squared = C squared if at a 45% angle.

It is that old pythagorean thing,.. I guess if your bored you could use the phone and knowing the height of your stand to calculate out to any range,... if I recall you would use that cosign calculations knowing the angle provided by your phone. I sometimes get bored up in the stand and what better way to pass the time,.. bone up on your math skills! LMAO!

The link explains more for those who do not have a range finder but have a smart phone.

I will see if I can find the exact formula for anyone if folks are interested.

18-Jul-17
Gotta be honest with ya, about the last thing I like messing with in the stand is the darn cellphone. Get enuff of that daily. Plus fiddling with phone to much = movement = picked off :-)

19-Jul-17
My girl is a math teacher and bank teller. She has the book brains and is good with numbers. I could use my cell phone to call her to calculate the numbers for me while a deer is coming in. LOL. Just pulling your chain, but that is a good observation for people that are good with numbers.

19-Jul-17
Nerd's of Bowsite Unite! :) Kidding bud, I've done math in a tree for work many times... better than at my desk. That's a creative idea, and you could do it for fun prior to a deer coming. "that tree is a 37 degree angle, run numbers, bam". I bet there is an online calculator you could book mark to do that.

Not sure Ill implement it, to easy to use my rangefinder :)... But I like it.

Will

19-Jul-17
Actually, it has nothing to do with a 45 degree angle. A squared + B squared = C squared so long as A and B form a right angle.

19-Jul-17
On another note, I'm of the belief that most of the time this angle correction stuff is largely irrelevant, and the ARC technology of some rangefinders is mostly a gimmick that allows the manufacturer to charge more for them.

Think about it, you're 20' feet up a tree and a deer is 10 horizontal yards away from that tree (in other words, pretty darn close). The distance from you to the ground where he is standing is 12 yards (a 2 yard error). I dare say that knowing the deer is only 10 yards away instead of 12 will have virtually no effect on how you aim. As the distance from tree to deer increases the error decreases. At more common situations like 20 feet up with the deer 20 yards away the error is about 1 yard. How many guys are gonna be thinking, "wow, good thing I had that ARC technology, that deer is only 20 yards away and I almost used my 21 yard pin". It's just silly...

19-Jul-17
+1 Bruce. For bowhunting Whitetails at our ranges its not needed.

19-Jul-17
Good point Bruce. Makes you wonder if that was originally focused on gun guys. Say you are shooting 300yds at a mountain goat, but it's only 50 horizontal yards... That could be a factor... But even at 30yds... I'd bet my ability to shoot accurately is a bigger issue than the difference in yardage via "Arc" range finders.

But, doing the math in the tree does, oddly perhaps, seem sort of entertaining to me...

20-Jul-17
Too much math for me. I set up, range certain spots with the range finder, and put it away. Once I hear or see deer, I'm thinking of the shot placement and distance spots I sighted earlier. No time for math. Besides, I go to the woods to relax, not relive work. I'm in finance. Work in city, relax in country. Ah ;)

20-Jul-17
Ditto Fatkid woods are relax time. I hike to Boston everyday and have similar job. I'm done with numbers on the weekends!

• Sitka Gear