Pete-pec 24-Jul-17
xtroutx 24-Jul-17
CaptMike 24-Jul-17
Pasquinell 24-Jul-17
happygolucky 25-Jul-17
CaptMike 25-Jul-17
Bloodtrail 29-Jul-17
19-Jul-17
What is your opinion of the existing WI Mentored Hunting law? Should it be changed? How?

(If you are unfamiliar with this law just google "wi dnr mentored hunting" and you can get all the information you need. Easy to look up.)

19-Jul-17
I'm not too familiar with it. The very little I know about I'd have to say I have no qualms.

More kids out there the better.

This isn't the 1950s anymore where it was easy for your to get out here.

19-Jul-17
Last year was my first year as a mentor. My mentee was a 10 year old boy. Right now I don't have any issues with the law as written or have suggestions for improvement. I'm good with it.

20-Jul-17
As a hunter safety instructor who sees parents trying to get their kids involved by letting them hunt, I see a lot of bad things happening with this bill.

Yes, there are some parents who are responsible enough to teach their children correctly. I have no problem with them teaching their children to hunt and they way they do it.

The problem is when it comes to the change in allowing the mentor to carry a firearm, crossbow, or bow while "mentoring" another person. This turns the mentor hunt into 2 hunters hunting together. It doesn't allow the mentor to monitor and "supervise the young hunter. Let's be honest here, we all know a "hunter" that will shoot the big buck while mentoring the young hunter. I know it isn't going to happen, but it has already happened.

As far as lowering the age to no age requirements, I disagree in that many 10 year old hunters are not physically strong enough to carry and safely shoot the rifle, shotgun or bow required.

I like the current law and the way it is written an the new proposed law is not going to make any difference in hunter recruitment.

20-Jul-17
I like the law as is, other than that I'd change the age restriction to no specific age but rather leave it to the parents discretion.

20-Jul-17
Pros, I can take my 35 yr old friend "Joe" who's never hunted before, show him the ropes and hunt with him. Then he can decide if it's something he wants to pursue. Two weapons, I can take shots between 20-35 yds and Joe gets anything inside 20 yds. I did this exact thing with a friend I had hired to help me paint some farms up there. Turns out he was as big a p--sy as I thought he might be and we no longer speak. (That was work related and had nothing to do with hunting).(I expected him to earn his money and he didn't think he should have to work so hard). I mentored collin my son for his first two years as well. We had a blast and our times out there helped us form a great bond. This year, I will be taking my wife's 22 year old cousin.

Cons, I don't think there is a limit to how many years I can mentor someone. In theory I could mentor my wife indefinitely so long as we are hunting together. I'd like to see a one year limit for adults and a two year limit for the kids. That way they or us as parents are forced to shit or get off the pot when it comes to enrolling them in hunters safety. Two weapons(pro and con).

Overall I like this mentored hunting law.

23-Jul-17
I am going to throw this one out there. I might get my rear chewed a bit, but that's happened before and will happen again.

Has anyone here taken a youth who has never hunted before and mentored them for a gun hunt? I have and I believe that it deserves your total undivided attention. By this I mean, you the mentor has to be able to watch what is going on with the muzzle of the gun every second of the hunt, call the shot and make sure safety is the #1 concern. That means you need to be with in arms reach and able to take control of the firearm, should the need arise. Are you 100% positive that you can safely do this while still maintaining control of your own loaded firearm?

I understand that you have that ability when there are 2 bows involved, but I think it is highly unlikely to happen when it involves firearms.

Let me know your thoughts.

23-Jul-17
Could someone post the bill that will make the changes referenced?

23-Jul-17

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Crusader dad's embedded Photo
Mike F, my Bil has done that for each of the last two gun seasons. His stepdaughter got hers during the nine day but they tried during the youth as well.

His stepson got his during the youth season so he spent all nine days of real gun trying to find that same boy a doe!!

Neil/my bil was rewarded with a nice 2 1/2 yr old ten point during ml season. He will be the first to tell you he has no regrets and even though they saw a bigger buck during the 9 day, he never even thought about shooting it.

He took that mentorship very seriously and it was all about those kids. That is a good man right there and one I'm proud to call my family.

23-Jul-17
I was fortunate enough to be able to show both Nehemiah(my neph) and Neil my bil how to do a euro mount. Miah's buck now hangs proudly in his room. ( he's hooked now and can't wait to try bowhunting)

24-Jul-17
I have seen the 10 year old mentored law abused by parents that aren't that involved allowing the youth to hunt on their own and I was in favor of a lower age limit but because I know of instances already with 10 year olds hunting alone I don't think we should lower the age. Definitely not change to more than one weapon between the two.

24-Jul-17
well I agree with Mike F. I have not mentored a hunter myself, but have worked with mentors. Not all mentors are created equal, except they all have giving hearts. The mentor I worked with, asked me, if I would instruct, his student, in rifle shooting.......

He brought his young hunter, on a regular basis, to my shooting club, and we used both the building for class room, and of course the outside range. He told me, he liked the idea, of how I had his young hunter, understand the nomenclature of that rifle, first, how it was torn down, and all of the dry firing......

It made a difference, when that young lad, went "hot" on the range, his confidence level was off the roof, and also, we started small caliber, to a caliber he could handle and enjoy......

The mentor, along with the hunter safety instruction did their jobs, but they seeked out, others who have solid shooting instruction backgrounds, to enhance the experience...... It takes time, and patience,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Our club had great hunter safety instructors, great field days, lots of good mentors

I might be old school, but you can not learn this via computer..............

24-Jul-17

Pete-pec's embedded Photo
Pete-pec's embedded Photo
I agree with Mike on both posts. Took my daughter at 10. Although we practiced and talked gun safety, she was not ready for the recoil of the gun. She was successful killing her bird, but it scared her. She never wanted to go again, and I wouldn't force her. I honestly feel pretty shitty for taking her at 10. She might have agreed to go, but I believe at that age, they will do just about anything we suggest.

Before someone chimes in saying "my kid was ready". That's fine. My kid wasn't. I don't think kids younger have the cognitive skills, nor the physical muscle mass to hunt effectively. We are often helping them lift their weapons, telling them when to shoot. Perhaps a good guideline to knowing if their kid is ready, IS the hunter's safety course? You have the mental capacity to study, and test out to achieve your certificate. I took the course, and believe we could all afford to take it. I know adults who have no business hunting, let alone mentoring another.

I have mentored both youth and adults. I don't think the age limit should be lowered, nor adults hunting without Hunter's safety. Only opinion, but I speak from plenty of sound experience. I thoroughly endorse bringing new hunters into the sport, especially adults or kids that are not our own, but I also think doing it so the experience is best served comes with some education beyond what Joe Blow can teach them. If we have to saddle up our kids and put them in our laps to hunt, or lift their weapons into place, perhaps that's a bit too early?

In this picture my daughter was smiling right? I found out later it was because we were done hunting by 7 am. She was happy to get home and go back to bed. That means I blew it! I wanted her to hunt, more than she wanted to hunt.

24-Jul-17
First I agree with Mike F, as having done this it took my total attention. As far as too young or not I believe that is child specific. My daughter was ready at 10 and being with Year for two seasons mentoring her was great for our relationship and her desire to hunt. She is 13 and will hunt longer than me on morning hunts, and if it is cold. She is also a way better shot with a bow than me. As far as mentor hunting you better want to do it for the kid because that is going to pay you back in the long run.

24-Jul-17
Pete, both of a buddies boys in Africa started big game hunting at 6 years of age. If we only consider our own anecdotal experiences, we will all come up with different perspectives.

24-Jul-17
I have mentored over 30 young hunters on our farm and I also teach Hunter Safety and I think 10 years old is a good age for H S most 9 year old are not ready.

24-Jul-17
I have mentored over 30 young hunters on our farm and I also teach Hunter Safety and I think 10 years old is a good age for H S most 9 year old are not ready.

24-Jul-17
Do kids still small game hunt? That's what got me hooked. .22 has almost no recoil, plenty of action so you don't get bored. I think if my 1st hunting experience was sitting in a stand waiting for a deer or hiding in a blind for a turkey I wouldn't have gotten into it.

24-Jul-17
Captain, did he raise their guns for them, or have an apparatus to hold their rifle? Were they really hunting, or simply shooting at that age? Of course it was my anecdotal perspective, as I declared that in my post. I only suggest that if a kid doesn't have the cognitive skills to lift the toilet seat or wash his own dishes, how are they old enough to appreciate (or absorb) the death of an animal?

Again, just my perspective. I understand we all parent differently. I'm not here to judge him. I'm sure they're great kids!

24-Jul-17
leave it just as it is. I have mentored my grandson 3 yrs in a row, he is 14 now and 6'2". He has been more than capable of shooting my 30-06 for the last two years. I also have another grandson that is much smaller and 12 yrs old that I havent taken yet because he was to weak to shot a big gun. HE IS DYING TO GO and this will be his first year. I have 2 10 yr old granddaughter that want to hunt this year but I think it is the same case, I will leave that up to my son to decide. They all would like to archery hunt inthe future but until they can draw a bow that is on hold. I refuse to buy a xgun for them to use. My 14 yr grandson old will be up next weekend and I will see if he is strong enough to use my hoyt this year. I only have it set a 50# so he should have no problem, last yr was an isssue. All kids are different and I think the adult has to make the right choice for them, wether to hunt or wait. I strongly beleive in the one weapon law. My grandkids have shot guns starting at an early age and really enjoy shooting the 22 when they come up. They can shoot as much or as little as they want, and beleive me my wallet gets lite from buying ammo when they are here. They all were taught gun saftey and are very good following it. The more they shoot the less thought they have to put into it, it just becomes natural after some experience. Leave the law the way it is.

24-Jul-17
No Pete, they both used his 7 X 57 Mauser, shooting off sticks, as almost all African hunters do. And I agree, not all kids can both mentally and physically handle a rifle at the same age. That is why I am a proponent of allowing the parent, the person closest to these kids, to make that judgement.

24-Jul-17
Pete x2 as I agree with your opinion. I also cringe when people say let the parent be the judge if their kid is ready or not. I guess most parents are the best judge but Im not for lowering the age.

25-Jul-17
+1 Pete. Well stated and awesome having an open mind.

25-Jul-17
I think those kids appreciate the animals they kill vey much. Every time they eat them.

29-Jul-17
Wisconsin enjoys one of the best youth programs in the Country and it's working well. Year after year in the mentored hunt program our youth and adults alike go afield and bring back a truck load of memories and some game to boot! Wonderful program.

As wonderful as it is, I am not for lower the age. I believe 10 is a great place to start and stop.

I have seen younger youth in southern Sates shooting turkeys, but I have to say...few, very few would be able to master the shotgun at any younger an age and I think we might be asking for trouble.

Mentored hunting - ABSOLUTELY cool!!

• Sitka Gear