Belchertown Bowman 21-Jul-17
GED 21-Jul-17
muzzy 21-Jul-17
Tajue17 22-Jul-17
Buckshot89 24-Jul-17
Bowhunt3138 24-Jul-17
Buckshot89 25-Jul-17
20-Jul-17
So I have heard more and more about just one pin shooting and wondered how many of you do that?

Seems like in the areas I hunt I would have a hard time finding a forty yard shot. I am thinking maybe one or 2 pins might be the best.

Thoughts and what do you guys use?

20-Jul-17
Debated the same thing last year. I think it depends on how far you personally would take a shot at a whitetail. For me that answer is 30 yards and I beleive one pin is all thats needed. If I was to go the 30 yard marker I probably would do a two pin as I wouldn't want movement associated with moving the pin for longer range. One pin sighted in at 25 yards and I never have to move it.

20-Jul-17
X2 on what proline said. I love the single pin,completely opens the sight and you can focus on the animal. You just don't get many deer beyond 30 yards , so keeping it at 25 works great. The movement thing is definitely a concern,I practice adjusting my HHA with very minimal movement, but it hopefully it won't be necessary. Like anything else, whatever your comfortable with is best.

20-Jul-17
2 pins for me. 20 and 30. Been that way for a long time.

20-Jul-17
One pin for me, good out to 30

20-Jul-17
For the first third maybe of my hunting career I used multiple pins. And I missed deer a few times because I chose the wrong pin in the heat of the moment. While fixing that was more to do with experience and just working on my mental game, going to one pin has also helped.

Some where I read to set a single pin to 27yds. No clue why. But I did that years ago, and now that's where I'm at. I have a FAST bow, 320~fps consistently with arrows a bit over 400grains. I've learned, that with my set up, I need to aim for about the heart and Ill get lungs - if I'm inside 20yds. And if it is long - like 33-40, I aim for spine or a bit over. Everything else just shoot for the side by side balloons and its good.

It's been so many years now that it's automatic - essentially "instinctive". I think: "Deer's at about 15-16, aim low" for example. Some how, the single step thought of aim low, is easier for my brain than the two steps of aim there with that pin.

I used to use a fixed single pin from Impact, but I swapped it for an HHA Optimizer adjustable. I set it and leave it at 27 for hunting... but occasionally will practice 60+ to work form, and will adjust the sight for that.

20-Jul-17

Murphy31's embedded Photo
Murphy31's embedded Photo
I just set a bow up a few days ago, and put a 3 pin slider on it. Haven't really set the sight up yet. 20,30,and 40 for hunting. 45 plus for ranges. Seems like it'll be the best of both worlds.

20-Jul-17
I also shoot HHA adjustable and love it. Dead nuts accurate. One pin keeps it very simple.

20-Jul-17
1 pin set at 25 yds for me.

20-Jul-17
3 pin. 20, 30, 40. No problem seeing deer in my sights. Bows pretty quick,

20-Jul-17
I have the 3 pin trophy ridge that came with my bow. I have it set at 20, 30, and 40. It allows me to estimate 50 in a pinch. Anything under 20, I shoot with my eye on arrow shaft.

20-Jul-17
You are going to find different people like different things. No right or wrong answer on this one. Just what works better for you. If you have a multi pin sight, just remove some pins and try different combinations. Best of luck.

21-Jul-17
One pin set at a fixed yardage that will keep you in the kill zone on a deer within your self-imposed limits. I just set my single pin at 20 yards (used to use 25 yards). I took some shots at 10 yards and 30 yards to see how high and low I was hitting at those distances, respectively. I'm a couple of inches high at 10 yards and about 4 inches low at 30 yards. When aiming at a deer, I simply hold a little low or high if the deer is closer or further than 20 yards.

For me, the major benefit of a single pin is simplifying the decision making process.

21-Jul-17
Thank you very much everyone,.. I am going to switch out those dang 4 pins the bow came with and go to one or two,..

Thanks for all the responses folks!

21-Jul-17
Archers shoot far, bow hunters kill up close.

1 pin. Have self control and discipline

21-Jul-17
Hmm, GED what's the yardage that defines the difference between Archer and Bowhunter? Trying to figure out where I stand.

I like shooting archery and I like bowhunting, kinda try to do both when I'm out there chasing whitetails.

The Bowhunter in us gets us in range and the Archer in us makes the shot.

22-Jul-17
this season I'm at 46# due to a shoulder injury so my pin will be set at 15yds but I still need to fine tune this set up to be sure.. I do like to wait for my deer to come in as close as possible.

24-Jul-17
I bought a react 5 pro five pin sight a few years ago and I honestly don't like it. It's accurate clear and very well built but in a hunting situation I cant use more than just the top pin or the next one down. Plus it's kind of bulky and there is a lot going on when focusing on a target or animal. I have it sighted in for 60 yards but I'm seriously thinking of selling it for a single pin adjustable.

24-Jul-17
Hey Buckshot take a look at the HHA Kingpin. It's a little expensive but it's an excellent sight.

25-Jul-17
That's the one I was thinking about. HHA has excellent reviews and I remember people raving about it in last years similar post.

• Sitka Gear