One Arrow 01-Aug-23
be still 01-Aug-23
Matte 02-Aug-23
ksq232 02-Aug-23
be still 02-Aug-23
Catscratch 03-Aug-23
Thornton 04-Aug-23
21-Jul-17
I am thinking of hunting Byron walker wildlife area in south central Kansas. I am from Louisiana and have never hunted Kansas before. When is the rut for that area, any other tips would be great.

thanks for your help!

21-Jul-17

ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
ROUGHCOUNTRY's embedded Photo
I would opt for say........November 12-20th. Deer movement is probably the best then, although the moon phase or a hot doe pinned down somewhere can always throw a wrench in the equation. Deer bedded in tall grass will pop up anywhere and anytime. Plan on sitting all day long, the best spots are already leased, baited and guys in stands. The weekends will probably be a rodeo but you never know, you're in the land of giants:) Be realistic, a pope and young class buck on public land is probably a trophy. I've attached the photos of my last two bucks from south central........one on WIHA with exactly TWO cottonwood trees for a stand. The other was a "community spot" (whoever asked got permission) spot and stalk in the grass on a windy day. The 5x5 was chasing and grunting at a doe. Be versatile and don't get locked into one spot. The deer numbers are fairly low with lots of big pastures to hide in. If I remember right, I probably went a little too early in November and it was heating up both times at the end of my hunt. Both bucks were shot on the 12th I think.

Honestly, I know my areas pretty well and probably shoot a buck every other year. It's a cheap trip for me as I stay with friends and have a lifetime license. I personally wouldn't pay the high NR tag cost and travel and hotel fees for what I'm seeing. But then again, I was able to hunt there in the "good ole days" and compare it.

Enjoy the scenery and if you're able to roll in and shoot a buck without bait, foodplots, cameras and a guide during a weeks hunt, you've done pretty well. If you get a windy day and the bucks are on their feet, they are VERY vulnerable to stalking. Good luck, I hope you make everyone drool with a big buck posted on here in November.

21-Jul-17
"there [sic] little run down towns"

Kind of ironic coming from a guy from Oklahoma, don't you think?

21-Jul-17
Byron Walker has a great lands manager. There are several food plots through out the entire area. I would try south of the hwy along the river. It will be quite a walk as they shut the roads down but there are plenty of deer along the river corridor.

22-Jul-17
you have the same sized bucks in Oklahoma

22-Jul-17
you have the same sized bucks in Oklahoma

22-Jul-17
Oh, golly-gee, Mr. Lick, so, so, so thankful you come along to save us poor, out-of-work imbeciles. You might want to get a clue on how many of us host, or have hosted non-residents or given solid advice to people coming in from out-of-state. Just because we won't give you the GPS coordinates to our best spots, doesn't make us evil.

Nez - to answer your questions. The rut's the rut. We normally get rolling the first few days of November, a lot of nice bucks have been killed on Halloween but it's never worked for me. We seem to get a real rush of activity, say, Nov. 4-8 (like deer look at calendars) It goes until it stops, and that varies from location to location. My son's "day" has been Nov. 11, but most will tell you it's terrible because it's "lock down." I like later, Nov. 18-26. Seems I have my best hunts the weekend before Thanksgiving...but that's about when I get to start because I've been taking kids up until then. (Pretty evil, huh, Lick? Wanna hear what several us do for vets? I've even taken vets from, gasp, Oklahoma, but they already knew everything about Kansas)

Nez - keep in mind that upland bird season opens Nov. 11 this year, and Byron Walker is going to get hit pretty hard, as will much of the surrounding lands. If you're hunting that weekend, you may want to set up on some kind of corridor that connects the public and some good private. You can scout that with GoogleEarth. Going to be a lot of cover this year. Get a WIHA map when they come out in about a month and do some looking. On a Saturday evening, check out The Lumberyard, in Zenda, for killer steaks and prime rib. 3rd Saturday of the month they throw a seafood buffet that'll make you think you're in The Keys. May want to stop in a day or so early, to see if you need reservations. Seriously, go. Oh, and make sure you tip the waitress like $7.5 gazillion , you know, to save our state. Hope the information helps. We've been here from eight generations, and I've written about it, border to border, for 36 years, but some Okie taught me more about my home state in five minutes, of course. Have fun, people will treat your fair.

22-Jul-17
Wow why I the world would you even go there. Losing ones talent as a outdoors writer is on thing losing one's job due to changing social demands from mega publishers is another. You know I try and be nice you never know who you might run into out there hunting. You never know when you might need a hand with a deer or a couple of tires. Best part about this evening is we are getting much needed rain.

22-Jul-17
Haven't lost my job, and won't. Even if I do, I've done more for hunting/shooting than you will in 20 lifetimes, and had a lot more fun than you have doing it, and made a lot more friends and contacts. You come on and talk crap, and can't take it when somebody gives it back. Who gave Nez the most and best advice, you or me?

23-Jul-17
..was comparing myself to you, troll. You and me, and if you have a right to call names and criticize. Better to do a lot, and mention it when needed, than to never have done anything at all. Some of the guys you try to slam - Kyle, Matt, Jeff have given far, far, more than they've taken from life and/or the outdoors.

23-Jul-17
As a life time resident, been hunting KS for well over 60 years. I am now down to one landowner and it is overrun because he is a super nice guy, including NR. The ONLY reason we all have this problem is because someone had the bright idea to put a tape measure on an antler. If the first guy that did that had been strung on a high cottonwood this problem would never have happened. Flame away.

23-Jul-17
Well that is one reason, but in the end, it all boils down to money!

23-Jul-17
Pretty sure youre gonna have to hang someone with Boone n crockett, who scored antlers before you were born.

24-Jul-17
Ok, I surrender. I can't come up with any better names to call than you. Nope. (Oh, the folks at PETA and HSUS are much better at putting threats and venom into what they've sent me.) Never helped anybody either, as the post above clearly proves.

24-Jul-17
Wow, I don't get on here much because of you guys like you. You were the 2nd and 3rd post after the original. Both your posts slammed KS residents (with no provocation): "You wont get much help on here from res." "These guys on here wish we never cross the border even if we do spend a lot of money in there little run down towns. The people in town like us but these big ass land owners and fat cats cant stand us keep coming back have a great hunt im going to"

Your 3rd post was a personal attack on someone... "Such a prick i cant help if your loosing your job"

Another attack on site members (this one was maybe provoked from reactions from your other posts). "I first got on this site because i thought it would be a great place to get information. It soon became clear how much a small group of guys really seem to dislike non res.hunters you and your buddys post prove that go back and read them i just got caught up in it you guys go ahead and break your arms patting each other on the back im not the only one you guys slam. Troll haha better than a dick" Ha! this is great^^^; you claiming to NOT be the dick in this thread (when your only purpose to post on the thread was to attack people in the same state that you muster up the will to go hunt... apparently only to help out poor small town residents). Maybe you are just misunderstood. Run on sentence much?

24-Jul-17
Writer,

Looks like you might just want to stick with mentoring kids, helping vets, squirrel hunting with me and bullfrogging with my daughter. More fun, more appreciation and none of this stuff.

Posting on this site does not make for a nice day. Thus my 2 year layoff. Think I will make the next one longer. Starting now.

24-Jul-17
Oh, there is history. I didn't know that. I guess bringing history and drama to nezpique33 thread was a good idea then. He obviously appreciated it, but for some reason he hasn't posted since his original post.

You're right, poaching from residents is very common and it sucks! I wish those guys would get hammered by the law but it doesn't happen nearly enough. Interestingly though the most poaching I've seen has been from OK residents. Want to see something spectacular; set near a gravel road a mile into KS and watch all the slow moving trucks with OK plates drive by during their rifle season. You'll hear as many rifle shots as you do during the KS opener.

You will stay on your land, not poach, and not jump fences??? That's awesome as I would expect nothing less from anybody else. Maybe since there is history with you and some of these guys I won't stick with my first impression of you. I truly hope you have a good season this fall.

24-Jul-17
RT trust me, those are my plans. Need to get the daughter on some dove and duck hunts, too....and maybe her Dad after some quail. Reeeeallly looking good this year.

24-Jul-17
Hence why I seldom log on anymore. I go long pauses and think I'll give it a try again, then all of a sudden something that should be fun isn't. On to other stuff...

25-Jul-17
How many years have you been hunting the farm in unit 12 Frank?

25-Jul-17
I would not have guessed you to be that old. Tags were hard to get 20 plus years ago.

25-Jul-17
Just reading your other posts. Where you complain about not being able to hunt your friends property every year..

Feeling a bit entitled are we??

So basically, you are a nonresident who wishes we had an over the counter tag system, probably like your home state,.. guessing you also want to kill 2 bucks in Ks.

You may not have drawn every other yr,..2 decades ago..but i'm pretty sure you were able to draw a tag with no issue from the beginning of landowner transferables..thru at least 2014...it has only been recently in the past 2yrs that both unit 11 and 12 sold out, possibly denying you a tag.

There are many of us who firmly believe having nearly 22,000 nr tags is too many,..especially when we used to have only 8000 or so

It should be and is a priviledge to hunt ks,..if you dont draw every year...thats fine by me

Of course it also appears you have real online social issues..you cant debate without calling people names, without whining about someone who is,..to you, a big "assed" landowner,..or some kind of a "fat cat".. a prick, a dick...etc

If many of us had our way, you wouldn't draw a tag but once every 4yrs. Just be glad we arent in charge.

25-Jul-17
Well said "Z".

25-Jul-17
Thanks for the info guys. Definitely didn't realize you guys had this much issues with non resident hunters. We don't get many non resident hunters for deer down here but we do for ducks and it can get messy real quick. You guys stay safe!

25-Jul-17
Z, you proved you dislike for non res hunters again. This page is notorious for bashing and bad mouthing NR hunters. Hell you lead the pack in that category. It is a shame to see other hunters treat their fellow hunters like you guys do. I come every year and hunt the wonderful state of Kansas for YOUR deer. Its a great place that I have only met nice people who are willing to help out someone if they need help. I in return I lend a helping hand when the opportunity arises. I've called no names here but I'm sure I'm in for a beating for what I have posted. Let the flogging begin.

25-Jul-17
Nez, you'll be fine and find our deer easier to pattern than yours. Just noticed you're from LA, so the seafood buffet in Zenda won't impress you but the beef, will. You may be able to use your LA homeland to your advantage with swaps, or bringing up seafood. I've talked to some Cajuns who trade a few days of salt fishing for access to private ground for deer. Some LA bird hunters won access to thousands of acres by bringing up shrimp, crab, etc and having a big cook-out for new friends in north-central Kansas. Oh, Doe, technically they are "our" deer because wildlife belongs to the citizens of the state of Kansas. Regulating the hunting opportunities is the job of our state biologists, who can be trumped by our state politicians. Access to those deer, on private lands, goes through the landowner.

25-Jul-17
Thanks writer, we are going to be staying up in pretty prairie a friend of mine has a house there, but I can't hunt his lease with him because they are maxed out on space. If I meet some locals I would definitely bring some fresh seafood up there if i can make some more trips out there.

25-Jul-17
I've hunted Byron Walker quite a few times in the past 5 years. I've struggled with seeing any movement during daylight hours. There are deer around though. I've often bumped them on my way in or out. This may speak more about my skill level and less about the area. During the day, I'm more likely to see one in the tall grass or thickets than in the wooded areas.

Sometimes the pressure isn't too bad, other times, I've had noisy hunters come bumbling in and setting up blinds within arrow range right at sunrise.

Another thing to note: I get virtually no cell reception there with AT&T. Some may scoff, but when I'm hunting 1.5 miles from my vehicle alone in poor weather, I like knowing I can contact someone if I need to.

25-Jul-17
Ya hear that Jeff? An outfitter is in first place! All you other locals are losing the "who bashes non residents the most" category! Baaahahaha-ha

25-Jul-17
Writer... sent you a PM.

25-Jul-17
Thanks brick, I use at&t also! This is ganna be a totally different hunt for me. All we have is woods and swamp down here, but I am pumped about this place. From google maps it looks challenging and that's kinna what I am looking for.

25-Jul-17
LOL yep I must be way down the list!

25-Jul-17
I can take over with just one letter..."Diktobowhnt"...mic drop

Kidding Frankie, good luck and just remember to let them grow up!!

25-Jul-17
Nez, the Pretty Prairie Steak House ain't bad, either. Spend some time, there, talk to some of the locals, I know the owners very well and hunt on quite a bit of their land.

25-Jul-17
Say,..there are already several preset stands near Attica, Argonia, Eureka.., um..Caldwell I would start with the Wood-stand.

26-Jul-17
Those area's just don't produce Brian ;?)

27-Jul-17
The problem with hunting today is that everyone wants to shoot big bucks. What happened to hunting as a way to acquire healthy food? I will never spend a penny to lease ground, we have plenty of public land with lots of deer. Maybe not mature bucks but plenty of healthy does. I killed three does last year and my family has been eating venison all year long. I still have plenty of steaks and burger, probably twenty pounds of summer sausage, and various snack sticks to munch on. Antlers collect dust and that's about it. I'm surprised some of you waterfowl hunters don't shoot only banded birds. #hunttoeat

27-Jul-17
I have always wanted to shoot big bucks. I don't really eat venison anymore instead I donate mine to the feed the hungry program. I don't shoot hen pheasants and I don't shoot does. However I do eat quail and pheasants. Oh and I love it when I shoot a banded duck.

27-Jul-17
Why does there have to be a "problem" with hunting? Hunting is no different than a lot of things. Different people have different motivations and are at different stages. Do you and what makes you happy and not worry about what other people think. We need to stop telling other people how to hunt and what to shoot and why. Writer doesn't like shoulder mounts anymore. Palmquist does. That's great. We don't need to justify why one does and the other doesn't. Just like you don't need to justify why you aren't concerned with antler size while someone else may be only worried about the rack. The only problem with hunting, which can be said about a lot of things, is that it's influenced heavily by money and politicians instead of experts.

28-Jul-17
It is a problem and you admit it in your last sentence. I'm a Kansas resident and I depend on public land and WAHI land to hunt. As more land is leased up and more people migrate to Kansas to hunt 'big bucks" the pressure effects us. Walk in land disappears and public land gets hit hard. All I want to do is fill my freezer and I have to depend on public land to do so. I just wish people would hunt for the reason it was intended, to provide meat.. In my eyes any deer killed with a bow should be considered a trophy and should be treated as such. I always give thanks to the animals I kill, I don't give a shit about antlers. The sooner I punch a few tags, the quicker I can get back to chasing ducks and upland birds.. good luck to everyone, fall is coming quick!

28-Jul-17
I agree Beard. I will never forget the first time I took a few guys who were aquaintences of a really good friend from out of state. They both shot bucks but did not want the meat and then wanted to fill their doe tags as well. I was flabbergasted that they didn't want the meat and then wanted to kill a doe just to kill a doe. This was back in 2013 when the drought had hit our herd pretty hard out west and we were not shooting does no matter what. I really believe people that hunt just kill something with no direct family in need to donate the meat to have something going wrong upstairs. I feel a great sense of remorse after I shoot a deer and a great sense of thanks at the same time. I appreciate all the work that goes into the animals after the shot all the way to the grill or crock pot. I married the right woman as she loves to experiment with the Elk and deer in the kitchen (fish is her expertise). So I guess what I'm saying is go out and have fun take a picture instead of the shot if you're not going to enjoy the entire process. By no means don't take the shot if you have a family that is in real need lined up.

28-Jul-17
I ate the last of my ven last night :(

Pretty good really, usually I'm out by March.

I really gotta kill an elk this year, ya know, as an evil non resident hunter while I am over in CO leaving my trash and shit everywhere. :)

28-Jul-17
I'm surprised you would have trouble getting permission to shoot does. Shouldn't be hard to find farmers that will let you hunt in the antlerless only season.

28-Jul-17
The way I see it, if you all would quit taking trail cam pictures, and showing whats there or not there in the way of antlers, and posing with antler kills, then maybe, the antler mania on every freeking media out there, would start to dwindle, and in turn start to reduce the influx of NR. The fish and game people love it when you post antler pictures both kills and trail cams. They been licking there lips for 15+ years now, and it's all you all's fault for contributing. Yeah, everybody wants to shoot the biggest, catch the biggest, and brag about it, and pat yourself on the back, for what? Well it turns out that the "for what" part is filling the fish and game coffers, and damn near eliminating the resident deer hunters chances on public lands. Private lands, well that is another story, but it is going down the same road as public lands, no access unless you got the Gedus, or fortunate enough to have excess cash.

28-Jul-17
Everybody's fault but yours, Chief? :-) (The purple martin show is pretty good in Wichita.)

28-Jul-17
Pretty much! But what do I know, right writer?

28-Jul-17
Not much, Dale. You're pretty new to this bowhunting stuff...

28-Jul-17
Between me and my neighbor, neighbor mostly, we have been housing around 400 birds for the last 6 weeks. Their chatter is driving me whacko.

30-Jul-17

Matte's embedded Photo
Grasslands making a comeback
Matte's embedded Photo
Grasslands making a comeback
Some pretty nice public out west. Like 300,000 acres in on spot chalked full of stuff.

30-Jul-17
Planned on some serious scouting but a flash floods warning was in effect and the roads were getting to look like creeks anyhow. So our camping night at Middle draw turned into a night at the hotel. Plenty of rain last night as well. We did see alot of wildlife even near the all weather roads in the evening. Doves seem to be in very short supply or scattered with all the feed and water. Cool 62 degrees this morning a welcome change from the 100 weather we have had lately

30-Jul-17
If you guys are talking about purple martins above, starling resistant entrances help. Also seem to deter the sparrows a bit. I have about 45 gourds and a large house. I deal with a few house sparrows every year. Trap them and pellet gun... it's a constant battle with the sparrows but the entrances keep the starlings out for the most part. Down here in Tulsa, I wouldn't even consider Martin houses without modified entrances. It's a battle you'll lose if you don't.

30-Jul-17
Wow, I have been gone too long!! I believe Writer(Michael) has always been helpful when it comes to us NR's. He gave me some great advice when I first started hunting Kansas. No one on here or from Kansas should be expected to give info on their own hunting spots but most will share their knowledge of the timing of the rut and what tactics work best in certain conditions or terrain. Where I hunt in Kansas the bucks seem to go into lock down around the 3rd or 4th of Nov. and stay that way until around the 12th. I notice the bigger bucks are really out looking again by the 12th of Nov. or so. Of course this will vary a few days year to year and from area to area. If I had a week to hunt I would choose from Nov. 12th to the 20th or there abouts. Lot of decent folks on this state forum and some jerks as well. I take a beating sometimes but for the most part I take it in stride. Hope you kill kill a good one! Shawn

30-Jul-17
To answer your original thread, I think that Byron Walker is overhunted. Keep In mind it is close to a large city full of guys with nowhere to hunt. I've never deer hunted it, but I did drive by it for two years of college. It gets a lot of hunters and from what I've heard, it's hard to get a big one there. Such is the story of any wildlife area within an hour and a half from Wichita

31-Jul-17
To also add look at Pratt Wildlife area, and also look on the Kdwpt site as there is public areas not really on any maps but if you dig hard enough on the site you can find them.

31-Jul-17
thornton, I had also looked into pratt and hadn't ruled it out. looks to be about a 30 min drive from Byron walker. I plan to do a little scouting on both the first day we are out there. Hopefully I can find a few old bucks to chase after. Looking at it from google maps pratt looks to be a lot like Byron Walker as far as terrain goes.

31-Jul-17
Nez - If it's Pratt Sandhills, much of it is only accessible by foot, only. So if you shoot one back in there, you have to drag or pack it out. That's a plus for guys who don't mind working harder. A friend shot a really nice mule deer there several years ago, spot and stalk, but doubt you have the permit for that. If you hunt a Walk-In area, be sure you read the regs per area.

31-Jul-17
Dont forget to look for the "archery/shotshell only wiha areas

01-Aug-17
Where do I get info on wiha areas? Is that on the Kansas wildlife and fisheries website?

01-Aug-17
Writer, that's the only kind of hunting i do. I prefer walking I have a deer caddy, and love working for my game. Still think Byron walker os my number one choice at the moment, but I may go spend a day on Pratt just to check it out.

01-Aug-17
ksoutdoors.com

01-Aug-17
Go look at at the WIHA's on the Kansas website. Great stuff, google earth and you can find spots while sitting at home. You may find walk in areas are better then most public. Also remember it does not have to look like much to hold a few nice deer. Shawn

01-Aug-17

z hunter's embedded Photo
A local photographer went for a drive this morning.

01-Aug-17
That time of the year for bean and alfalfa fields.

01-Aug-17
Probably took the pic at Meads ranch

02-Aug-17
Looks to me like Carolina parakeets in the background, too,....oh, and all of those buffalo wolves.

02-Aug-17
The one on the left appears to be a bit older buck by his appearance. That velvet will be coming off in a couple-few weeks. Shawn

02-Aug-17
3 year old deer that won't make 125.

03-Aug-17
My kids would have no problem killing either one. Three out of the four are old enough to hunt seriously but they love their backstraps and jerky so either will work. I would hoot the one on the left he has some chest sag and a bit of a saddle back guessing 250# by fall.

04-Aug-17
...and we automatically end up at score, which states it takes math to make a "nice" buck...from a pheasant guy? Nice pic. Have no clue if I'd shoot either one, especially not in velvet. I have a 13-year-old new to hunting I'd love to get on such a deer this fall.

04-Aug-17

Day time velvet pics can be just as deceiving as night time blacknwhite photos. I know the actual score of this 8pt.

04-Aug-17

Here is another pic, different buck, yes, those are 18 4/8" main beams. Anofher 125" buck or perhaps 174"?

04-Aug-17

A different view, still makes it kind of hard to say 174.

04-Aug-17

ksq232's embedded Photo
ksq232's embedded Photo
I hear ya Z, nobody would believe this buck went 155". Of course, I was fortunate enough to have Marvin gross score him, so I know it's legitimate.

04-Aug-17
Interesting the many paths this thread has taken...

05-Aug-17
The 8pt i posted above went 153.

06-Aug-17
Ok let's get back on track. Public land. By the way if anybody on here is from Colorado. Promised the new wife a honeymoon of Elk hunting but niether of us drew tags or were able to get a leftover in the unit I always hunt. Willing to trade info on some killer bucks I have found on Kansas public this year. Pm me

07-Aug-17
Writer, made it to the purple martin show last Friday with our neighbor. Funny encounter, two city police officers pulled into the parking lot got out of their cars and asked the crowd of about 200 people, all looking up, and one of them asked "what going on, what you all looking at? When we all replied at once, he said what? which was funny, he was standing right under the trees where there were thousands of the noisy birds. All thought it odd that they did not know what was going on, since it has been a annual event for many years. Anyway it was an awesome site.

07-Aug-17
They were probably not detectives yet.

07-Aug-17
Glad you made it, finally, Chief. You know how dense cops can be, right? :-) Been a great year. The Tulsa roost is about 10% what it has been, and in a bad place. Hopefully Via Christi will not trim the trees back, as they did a few years ago. M

07-Aug-17
sounds like maybe the northern birds didn't fare so well. I've seen the Tulsa roost downtown. Writer, ran into a guy there that knew you. Anyway, they've moved here in Tulsa from downtown and apparently are a fraction of usual numbers. It was an awesome site when downtown.

26-Jun-23
It's possible you've noticed that the character is always testing your knowledge. According to amanda the adventurer

31-Jul-23
Question… I feel like I know the answer to this but the info came from two land owners I know in Kansas. They informed me that if you draw a unit you can hunt any unit that touches what you draw as long as they are contiguous units. I personally feel this is incorrect. I didn’t know if it was different for instate residents vs none residents.

31-Jul-23
Assume you’re referring to deer. The only draw tag for residents is an either species firearm tag. There are two versions, a western tier of units and an eastern tier of units. All other resident tags are good statewide except the Hunt Own Land, which is pretty self explanatory. What they’re claiming doesn’t come close to applying to any resident hunt option. You’re correct, they’re off base also if talking about nonresident opportunities. NR’s are drawn for one primary unit and have the option to add one neighboring unit. The buck tag is good only for those two units and the antlerless is good statewide.

The amount of ignorant versions of Kansas game laws by folks that live in state and even own land never ceases to amaze me!

31-Jul-23
Not just any unit. You put in the draw for 2 units and yes they have to be touching each other but you got to stay in those units that you get drawn on.

In other words if you put in for unit 3 for your primary and unit 4 as your secondary and you get drawn you can hunt both unit 3 and 4. That doesn’t allow you though to hunt unit 1, 2, and 7 just because they touch unit 3.

Lol KB types faster than me^^^^or maybe it was slower.

01-Aug-23
I have mixed feelings about asking for suggestions when I plan my 2024 NR archery hunt here. It's been made pretty clear here with how a number of you feel with the KWD NR tag distribution and out of state hunters. Here in Okla, a NR can purchase an archery permit for the entire four and a half month season for $300.00 Your bag limit is six deer but no more than two bucks. Youth hunters pay $100.00. I could complain but why... must of the out of state hunters I've met have been Dad's and kid or two or a few groups of young guys that consider a long weekend a vacation.

I live in the southern part of the state on a great Striper fishing lake. My boat slip is close to a number of the guides. I get to meet lots of of non resident fishermen/ladies almost every week. Quite of few Kansans have been coming down for years. Most of the parties limit out. I guess I could bitch but why? Most are all nice folks when given a chance to prove it.

For a state that's 20% larger in size with 28% fewer people living there than mine It appears that "SOME" of you feel very entitled when it comes to deer hunting. I wish the best to a majority of you guys, Gene Rhodes

01-Aug-23
Hit me up Gene. I will help all I can. I will admit, I used to pretty much hate NR hunters coming in leasing up all the land. But over the last 10yrs I have got to where I have been making annual hunting trips to Colorado. In that time as a NR in another state is it has taken away all of the disgust with NR hunting.

But with how R is most states don't like NR so much. I decided to buy a boat and do more fishing. I don't feel like the fishing group is near as bad when it comes to NR vs R. I even made a trip to Texoma with it this past spring. The locals are really good people there.

01-Aug-23
Randy, thanks for your kind offer to assist me on down the line. Yes, Texoma is where I live and right now the early morning trips are going great. To many big ones and not enough "box fish" though. You didn't by chance fish out of Catfish Bay did you? Sir, thank you again.

01-Aug-23
Can you point out a discussion where someone here said they disliked NR's? As long as you're actually hunting, and not sitting a corn pile I think you're good bud.

Pretty sure most if not all of us have fished/hunted out of state. Texoma is a great lake, been there several times. Rusty will help, though its not clear what suggestions you're looking for, he's a good guy. Have fun, and treat her like she was your own.

01-Aug-23
I stayed and fished out of Cedar Mills

01-Aug-23
sitO, there have been numerous threads about Ks NR tags and NR hunters. You should retrieve some if you feel I'm mistaken of some of the responses.

Why don't I not tell you how to legally fish in my state and you don't tell what I can legally do in yours? BTW I only hunt old Bear recurves and have never preferred to hunt over corn. If someone else chooses to hunt that way and it's legal, power to them.

Unfortunately, I can tell we wouldn't make the best hunting partners and we'll just leave it at that.

01-Aug-23
I didn't think you were looking for a partner, but no...I'm good thanks.

Still unsure of exactly what you were looking for, besides confrontation. Obliged.

01-Aug-23
Lol… Kyle for some reason you sure have a way of getting under these guys skin. You made a legitimate point and now this guy will never hunt with you. Try not to lose sleep.

Give me a break.

I swear most of these posters on here are either fake or brought here to stir the pot.

No one here hates NR hunters… we hate the system used to determine when, where, and how often they hunt our great state. There are a few arrogant NR’s I’ve met over the years, but I’ve met an equal amount of R’s who are similar. A jerk is a jerk, doesn’t matter which state they are from.

01-Aug-23
I thought a little bit like you Mr. Rhodes about these guys when I first got on here. Soon after though I was taking one of my trips up there and one of these guys on here drove an hour out of his way just to meet me for lunch at Wichita.

Now before I got there I was already impressed by him going that far out of his way to meet me. Not to mentioned I had run my mouth a little bit on here as well. Well right away I knew I was sitting across the table from a good man. A little later I tried to get him on my side and said man there’s some people up here that really hate baiting. That Cat quickly replied…I understand you really hate High Fences in Texas and I replied I sure do. He said well that’s how a lot of folks up here think about baiting.

I then said well there’s also seem to be a lot of dislike for the NR’s…again without a beat he said you know a lot of us had land for us and our kids to roam and hunt on. That has been stripped from us and especially the older generation keeps a little grudge. He said it will probably get better over time. 2 times I tried to sway him but he didn’t budge and it hurt my feelers just a tad but later as I continued driving north I started doing some thinking.

He’s become a good friend now and the type will do anything for you. I’ve learned a lot from being up there. I don’t feel nearly as selfish as I used to be about hunting and most of it has been learned from being around people up there.

I’ve been lucky to meet a few of these guys on here and they’re really good folk. Some on here would be the first in line to help you out…that’s all I’m saying.

02-Aug-23
Unlimited amount of Non Residents with a much higher pay scale than what most rural Kansas residents make. It is hard to compete for a lease when a 1/2 section goes for 10k. The outfitting needs to get in check as there are no real permits or laws governing outfitters. I see a lot of guys who have leases but did not draw so now they are into selling hunts to be able to afford the lease. If I was an economic developer for the state.... The state needs to raise prices again if we are going to have 6-10k extra apps. Change the dates a NR hunting license is good for 5 days at a time. To put in for the draw you need to purchase one of the following. Annual fishing permit, 5-day hunting permit or Annual State Park permit.

Every state has deer to hunt so an out of state trip to Kansas should be expensive and treated as a special occassion.

02-Aug-23
The vast majority of residents on this site have either let non-res hunters hunt their land or permission farms, WITHOUT charging them, OR pointed non-res hunters in the right direction on public. And that’s a fact. Calhoun, you’re a very reasonable fella when State and/or Baylor aren’t involved…..;-)

02-Aug-23
Now James I thought that was the area I made the most sense:?)

03-Aug-23

Catscratch's embedded Photo
Catscratch's embedded Photo
You sure don't forget things be still!

I don't remember the cove but Stripper Hunters was the guide we went with. 100% artificial baits. Tore them up on a cold Feb day. Most had to be thrown back as they were too long. Absolutely loved that trip and thankful we could do it.

04-Aug-23
I love a good 'striper' trip.

• Sitka Gear