CaptMike 23-Jul-17
pls009 25-Jul-17
WausauDug 25-Jul-17
orionsbrother 26-Jul-17
woodguy65 26-Jul-17
Trapper 26-Jul-17
Treefarm 26-Jul-17
22-Jul-17
I have struggled to keep water in a small pond I dug with a tractor loader. I thought as the water seeped, eventually I would get a seal. That never happened. This spring, a friend gave me 3-50# bags of bentonite. I lightly tilled it into the soil. I checked it today and it is brim full and teaming with tadpoles and aquatic insects. By the looks of it, deer and raccoons are enjoying it as well. Quite amazing what water will sustain. The bentonite sure worked well!

I planted sugar beets and radishes for a winter treat for the deer as well today. Sure is fun to cater to wildlife.

22-Jul-17
Congrats on your success!

22-Jul-17
Bentonite has worked well for me, helping to stop water seepage on one of my ponds.

23-Jul-17
Wow just by tilling it into the surrounding soil!?

I know nothing about this. Please explain more.

23-Jul-17
Bentonite is a clay substance, mined in the west, particularly in parts of Wyoming. When wet, it becomes a very sticky, slippery, dense substance that pretty effectively becomes a barrier to water. If you have ever driven some of the trails that go through the prairie pasture lands in areas of the Black hills, Sundance or Upton areas of WY and had mud buildup on your tires until it filled the entire wheel wells, you have experienced bentonite. I have seen it in both powder and pellet form, sold in 50# bags. When one of our ponds started to leak water through the berm, we lowered the pond level and poured bags of pelletized bentonite all along the suspect berm. We then went over it pouring powdered bentonite. Then slightly wetting it, we tamped it to help bond it to form a barrier layer. After that, brought the pond level back up and so far, so good. I'm sure there are some who are educated on this who could give a much better explanation but that is what we did. Being a property owner is not all fun and games but the effort is repaid with the quiet enjoyment of that property.

23-Jul-17
CM, My neighbor's pond seeped as there was some rocks. It took a number of bags poured into the pond but it sealed it. Pretty amazing stuff!

23-Jul-17
Yes, it really is. I think it's main use is as a lubricant for drillers. It is pumped into the hole and it both lubricates the drill head and helps displace the material being drilled through.

25-Jul-17
Where is a good place to buy this?

25-Jul-17
can I PM any of you pond guys w/ some questions?

26-Jul-17
Bentonite is amazing. It's hard for me to understand how something that is so sticky when it gets wet that it will clump on your boots in a three inch layer that's difficult to shake off, but is slicker than goose chit on ice to drive on. There's an area in WY near some bentonite mines that if it rains... I'd camp til it dried out.

26-Jul-17
I have a leak in my 2 acre pond. I know where the leak is on the outside, way down at the outside bottom if dam. But I don't know where it is on the inside.

My pond is fairly deep about 20 plus feet. I don't really want to drain it. Is there any way to fix it with bentonite without knowing where the leak is on the inside of pond? In other words if I poured it in pond would it seek the leak?

26-Jul-17

Trapper's embedded Photo
Trapper's embedded Photo
If you have a problem finding Bentonite, try a old piece of rubber roofing. Mine has been in for 10+ years.

26-Jul-17
Woods guy, just scatter it on the ice and it should help after it sinks to bottom.

• Sitka Gear