z hunter 25-Jul-17
Matte 25-Jul-17
Kansasclipper 25-Jul-17
KSbowhunter 27-Jul-17
Elk Assassin 24-Aug-17
Jamesh76 09-Sep-17
Griever 13-Sep-17
25-Jul-17
I have recently moved to Mission, KS from Northern Michigan and have started scouting around the Hillsdale WA. In my 10 or so trips out there this summer I have seen enough deer and deer sign to want to bow hunt it this year. (41 days :D) I feel like I have a good tree picked out and what I could use now is a temperature of the hunting pressure in this area and maybe some pictures of nice bucks taken in this area recently.

25-Jul-17
When was recently? I may be wrong but I think you have to have residency for 60 days to be a resident.

25-Jul-17
It's been more than 60 days. I have my basic hunting license for the year just waiting until August 1st to buy that deer tag. :) And I'm only looking for information related to the OP. Thanks.

25-Jul-17
He'll be here for well over 60 days come late October. Welcome to Kansas. Wish I had something to share, but I've never been around that WA. I would assume it will be heavily pressured based on proximity to KC, but can't say for sure.

25-Jul-17

z hunter's Link
The best info i have, from one resident to another, :)

25-Jul-17
Sounds like your doing your homework if you have been out here that much. Things I would look for this time of year. Core bedding area for does, water and food that will be available in November. Where you find bucks today does not necessarily mean they will be there when season gets here and better yet when the rut starts to hit. Figure out the does and make a plan to start hunting five days before Halloween till ya stick one. Good luck and welcome to Kansas.

25-Jul-17
I live less than 5 miles from it and have never hunted there. But, there are plenty of deer and some nice ones. Good luck and welcome to KS. I moved here in 1983 from MI myself.

25-Jul-17
If you don't have one, get a Lone Wolf tree stand and climbing sticks as theft is high on public land. That way you can set up as many different locations as you want. If you hang permanent stands you are limited to only 2 stands on a public parcel. You will want to be mobile for more locations and to beat pressure.

27-Jul-17
Thanks for all the tips guys.

24-Aug-17
Although I'm from Colorado I've hunted Hillsdale the last several years for a couple of weeks. The pressure can be frustrating but eventually you'll learn where the hunters go and where they don't. There are some GREAT bucks at Hillsdale if you put in some time. And whoever mentioned treestand theft understated it...your treestand well likely not make it through the season if you leave it for any length of time. Been there and done that. Good luck and I'm jealous...no trip to KS this year.

09-Sep-17
I live near Hillsdale. There are deer there, but the lake and hunting areas are very pressured. It is common to see 4-5 even more trucks at the same parking area. Sure you may be the first one there, but that doesn't mean anything. The horse trails on the South East side of the lake create excessive traffic through the woods year round. Johnson County is a heavily populated county, many residents hunt in Miami County at Hillsdale as its the closest public area. If you hunt during the week, you will likely have better success. Don't forget about Clinton Lake and Lacygne. There are some good areas there also.

13-Sep-17
I've been hunting Hillsdale for the last 2 years now. You'll definitely have pressure there. Archery isn't nearly as bad as rifle of course and like others have said it gets crazier during the weekend.

I will say though that there are plenty of deer there, but I'd try to trek back a ways if I we're you. Good luck

• Sitka Gear