Missouribreaks 07-Aug-17
sbschindler 07-Aug-17
Straight Arrow 07-Aug-17
Missouribreaks 07-Aug-17
Straight Arrow 07-Aug-17
MTsheds 08-Aug-17
JMG 08-Aug-17
27-Jul-17
It is the 27th of July and Antelope archery season starts on Aug 15th there is no way we will get our tags before the season starts I applied for the 900 archery only tag that has been 100% draw odds the last few years. By the time they mail my tags to my house in Kalispell then my wife will have to mail them from there to Zortman. Someone needs to get there heads out of there ass and cleanup our F&G this year its the biggest cluster fuck Montana history

27-Jul-17
BD - as I sit and wait to see if I drew a lope tag, I was thinking a similar thing. It is bad enough for locals who might still be able to do some scouting or may have hunted that area in the past, but it is very tricky for non-residents.

Is it any worse this year or has it always been at the end of July?

Whenever I see a delay like this or the delay in the general lottery licenses, I think back 25 years to my days working with one of the bigger airlines and their ticket seats/prices. They had 20-30 ticketing categories (depending on all kinds of factors) that would change more than once a day. This was for flights numbering in the thousands each day. They also had to have this returned in under 1 second or their agents would complain. We got it working.

It cannot be the computer program that is delaying the lottery draws for MT fwp. Either they are waiting for input from someone or they don't have this on the computer...

27-Jul-17
I fly for F&G. I share the frustration especially with the 900 tag since it's guaranteed I believe. As far as the regular tag, there is an explanation. Quotas are based on numbers observed during our July flights. They wait until July for all the does to bring their fawns to the main herds. Quotas are set after flights are completed. I believe they meet July 28 this year. Again, not defending the department, just passing on what I've been told by the biologists.

27-Jul-17
Ha ha! A friend invited me out to hunt mule deer and antelope. I checked with the Montana fng and was told for mule deer I had to apply for a tag but it was pretty much a guarantee to be drawn. WRONG! I asked since I live a long distance from Montana and in a different country if I should have the antelope tag sent to my friends place. I was told no the draw is well before the season and there will be no problem getting the tag in the mail before I leave to hunt. I'm started to think that was bs also.

27-Jul-17
I spoke to the licensing folks about their timing of the antelope draw. They know it is messed up and creates problems for the hunters. In my case, I'm on that big game combo alternate list. If I draw the antelope tag, I'll have to also pack for the elk/deer hunt in case my number comes up while I'm out there antelope hunting. The other problem is the alternate list licenses are paper ones they mail to you. They do not have a process in place where successful folks on the list can buy the tags online or go to the local sporting goods store....at least they didn't say anything about buying it at the store. I could be out there antelope hunting and the tags could be mailed back east. For all the money they shake the NR's down for, one would think they would have a better system in place.

28-Jul-17
Bigdan I'm glad you said it! seems all the Tag systems there have sucked this year. And speaking of Kalispell.. Love that place but the county council has turned the Kalicolumbiafish Metro area into a cluster f&$ck too!

28-Jul-17
Interesting input cubdrvr. So, if counts hypothetically were near zero for young, they would set the rifle quota low? Does it change the archery number of tags?

The state game departments will be damned either way they do things. In MN and WI, there isn't a good way (accurate and inexpensive) to determining the deer herds before issuing tags. The main input to determine population seems to be in the previous falls reported harvest. As least in MT they appear to be able to base tag numbers on this years antelope population.

28-Jul-17
with the 900 archery antelope tag it would only take just a little forethought to issue those tags, if we have had a very severe winter as in 2010/11 I could see waiting to see the actual number of antelope running around, albeit in 2010/11 the FWP did not adjust the 900 tags , they could issue the 900 tags the day after the deadline for application passed, but they don't.. I can see waiting for the numbers of actual antelope for the district by district antelope tags, But the 900 tag is completely different

28-Jul-17
Yes Phil, I believe that is a large part of the formula. Obviously if they don't at least have enough fawns to cover the expected harvest then they will issue less permits. I'm sure there are many other factors they consider; predation, bad winter, disease. Antelope would be unique as the deer/elk permits are drawn for prior to fawn/calf birth; so would be based on post season (December) flights.

28-Jul-17
Yes Steve, it doesn't make any sense to me either. I remember one year that my 900 permit didn't come in the mail until the opener or the 16th, can't remember which. For resident I guess we just plan that it'll show up. Do all non residents get a permit? Would be hard to plan a hunt if not. Would suck if it was time to head out and permit hadn't arrived in the mail. Maybe we can work on this for next year. It really does need to be fixed.

28-Jul-17

highmarkX's Link
I agree that Montana FWP is very confusing and it drives me crazy how long they wait to draw tags. But after reading cubdrvr's post it does make a little more sense now. Montana did sign a bill that allows for electronic validation of hunting tags. So at least if you have not received your paper copy you can still hunt. I have not tried it and am not sure how it works.

http://montana.gov/search.aspx?q=electronic%20tag&via=homepage&cx=013380590290877010950%3A3ubczas3i44&cof=FORID%3A11&ie=UTF-8

http://laws.leg.mt.gov/legprd/LAW0203W$BSRV.ActionQuery?P_SESS=20171&P_BLTP_BILL_TYP_CD=&P_BILL_NO=&P_BILL_DFT_NO=LC0466&P_CHPT_NO=&Z_ACTION=Find&P_SBJT_SBJ_CD=&P_ENTY_ID_SEQ=

31-Jul-17
FWP says "The drawing is in process".

I am applying with my pop (82) who doesn't bowbunt so there is still mystery.

31-Jul-17
I've been watching that too.

31-Jul-17
It's out..

31-Jul-17
Woo hoo successful. Just hope I get it before I leave. Man I can't wait.

31-Jul-17
Dang....didn't get it and I had 2 points going in for the 700 (-20) area. Last year odds showed I should have drawn with 2 points. Oddly.....I drew the doe B tag for 700 (-30) and zero points.

03-Aug-17
900-20 here I come.

03-Aug-17
Just wait until they postpone archery season 2 days before the opener due to wild fire concerns. If it doesn't rain soon I believe they'll shut it down, probably by orders of the governor. If we're lucky it will only be certain areas, but things don't look good right now statewide. So pray for rain, do a rain dance, whatever floats your boat. We need rain badly.

03-Aug-17
SmokedTrout

That is very true and a likely scenario. Heck . . . . That's probably MT FWP's fault too. :)

07-Aug-17
Unfortunately many welcome the fires in the breaks area, helps create private land owner hardship and pave the way for wilderness expansion and the new and much discussed National park. Lots of meetings going on at the local levels.

07-Aug-17
Missouribreaks, I don't doubt you could find a few who welcome the fires but "many" no not true

07-Aug-17
"Unfortunately many welcome the fires in the breaks area, helps create private land owner hardship and pave the way for wilderness expansion and the new and much discussed National park. Lots of meetings going on at the local levels." You likely believe this conspiracy theory ... and that thousands of people are gathering to wring their hands at the potential "land grab" after the fires. Here we go again ... 'better get on the tinfoil hats.

07-Aug-17
I take it some of you liberal city folks have not attended the meetings in Winnett, Grass Range, and towns to the northwest?

07-Aug-17
You are correct about most folks missing the conspiracy theory meetings ... but you are way off the mark with the rest of your post. On a brighter, more factual note, it does seem FWP is acknowledging some of the issues regarding timeliness of issuing permits and hopefully will respond accordingly.

08-Aug-17
So MB what are they discussing at these meetings?

08-Aug-17
Missouribreaks, I am curious when, where and what has been discussed. This is news to me. Please explain.

• Sitka Gear