writer 03-Aug-17
cherney12 03-Aug-17
Matte 03-Aug-17
turkulese 04-Aug-17
turkulese 04-Aug-17
Bushman1 04-Aug-17
turkulese 04-Aug-17
02-Aug-17
This is my first year to hunt in kansas dang ot expensive here from wichita was thinking about getting into blackpowder for the early season here

02-Aug-17
Can't totally make sense of your sentence, but I'm guessing you're new to Kansas, live around Wichita and want to hunt deer in the early blackpowder season? Some great deer are killed every year, in that early season. Won't find many blackpowder deer hunters on the Bowsite forum. I'd suggest getting on Facebook and going to the Kansas Hunting and Fishing page. A much more-rounded collection of Kansas hunters. Welcome.

02-Aug-17
My wife will be hunting during muzzleloader this year, hoping to bag an early season buck on our farm. She'll be using her bow though.

02-Aug-17
Thank you and I love to bowhunt as well seems like it will be a challenge to bowhunt public land and it's hard to find any private land even if you just bowhunt and only wanna take a fat doe or two

02-Aug-17
Scout often, from a distance, they're very patternable that time of the year. They also get bumped off those patterns easy, too.

02-Aug-17
I love early season.

02-Aug-17
I will be hunting as long as archery season is open. Some of it coincides with Muzzleloader season. So I will put on my orange and climb into my ladderstands with my bow. As Writer mentioned deer can be very visible and following a set pattern that time of year.

02-Aug-17
I don't see why Kansas has an early muzzleloader season? Can anyone tell me how this got approved and what's the upside?

02-Aug-17
A employee of the fish and game in Emporia, who was an big fan of smoke poles, wanted it...

02-Aug-17
Atta boy, Chief, but wrong. In the late 80s muzzleloader hunters were asking for a season when they didn't have to "compete" with rifle hunters. (We'd had special ML permits for several years because they were easier to draw.) Their first choice was around Thanksgiving, the tail end of the rut. KBA was part of the move that blocked that. They were given mid-Sept., beginning in 1989. They complained it was too hot and they wanted October. KBA helped block it, for a while. Current system is the compromise.

02-Aug-17
"Atta boy, Chief, but wrong". I'm crushed! I thought you knew everything. Damn it!

02-Aug-17
Current situation is BS...mic drop

02-Aug-17
Last 2 weeks of Sept Youth, Bow-Oct1st -Dec 1st , Muzzleloader/Shotgun Dec 1st-15th (no rifle) then Dec 15th -Jan1st bow then a week of antlerless (open choice weapon) :) that would create a stir !!! I'm still not a fan of the Weekend Anterless in October. Also heard the other day than any NR that applies for a deer tag automatically gets an antlerless tag to go along with it ??? - I'd love a free antlerless tag from the state an I bet more residents would use it than the NR.

02-Aug-17
NR are charged for their "free" antlerless. Another great idea from the legislature, wanting to reduce the deer herd.

02-Aug-17
(Mic pickup) When would you rather they hunt, Kyle?

02-Aug-17
They are essentially rifles Mike, scoped and tuned...put "i" and "i" together

02-Aug-17
So Dec 1st is a Bow/Muzzleloader/Shotgun day..cool. Tell me more about this utopia..where are the xguns? Why all the hate for 400y+ firearms & pistols in their current 12 day season. And to continue with a january antlerless...ugh

02-Aug-17
Kyle....they've been rifles for 300 years, or more. You know, rate of twist, bullet spin. I'm pretty fluent in black powder which is why I opposed magnifying scopes on them. Black powder rifles have been this accurate for centuries. It's the "improved" aiming system that's the huge improvement. One more time, when would you like to see the season? Only within firearms season?

03-Aug-17
ML effectiveness is like a Recurve and a rifles effectiveness is like a compound so put them both in the "gun" season like the archery season is one season which includes various archery weapons.

03-Aug-17
Careful gentlemen or we will have more people pushing for a trad archery season and a separate season for compounds/xbows. I wish the seasons never changed and we didn't have all of the overlap like they do now, but I am content going forward.

To the OP, you can bowhunt during the early season or you can get the any season whitetail tag and ML, Bow, and rifle hunt in their open period. Go enjoy the woods with whatever weapon you choose.

03-Aug-17
Spoken like a true bowhunter, of which I are one. There are plenty who think compounds and crossbows shouldn't be allowed in the same season as primitive gear.

As much as we wish it could be, it's not entirely our resource. We have to share. We have to realize that 90 percent of Kansans think we have too many deer and more need to be "thinned," by whatever means possible.

Some of us remember the excitement of the first deer season in '65, and know how much many of us have since put into conservation - financially and physically. Dave, Kyle, Matt and a few others have spent a lot of time driving, testifying, sending letters, faxes, then e-mails trying to protect "our" deer herd from so many threats.

But the deer belong as much to the little ol' lady who just totaled out her car when she hit a deer any one of us would have seen headed towards the highway from 150 yards away. They belong just as much to a friend who lost a beloved brother-in-law in a freaky accident with a deer well within the Topeka city limits.

They belong as much to the many Kansas rifle hunters who have had to wait for their season while their friends and relatives in Nebraska, Missouri and Oklahoma get the ease of using a centerfire rifle in the middle of rut.

To be honest, I'm amazed we've held on to as much as we have, for as long as we have. But I guess that comes from the diligence of not wanting to give up more.

OK, off the soapbox. :-)

03-Aug-17
That was almost poetic.

03-Aug-17
...or pathetic. :-)

03-Aug-17
Lol

03-Aug-17
I just love working hard at what ever I do weather I enjoy it or not. I wish there was not an easy button in hunting but that is where we are at.

04-Aug-17
^^what he said. I see convictions compromised a lot in hunting for the sake of "easy" or trying to make a name for oneself in the hunting industry... my own convictions are wavering as well.

Complaining? Maybe. Things are just different... and you must choose whether to adapt.

04-Aug-17
And to piggyback a little off what Writer said...

I'm in Europe right now. I've been asking a lot of questions in regards to game management with local farmers, hunters, and hunting clubs.

We are fortunate the animals belong to the people. Here (Poland) they belong to the government and bow hunting is illegal.

One thing that is similar is that there is a lot of resentment on all sides, but I can honestly say we have it pretty good.

If there is one conviction we must fight for to the bitter end, is the belief that wildlife belong to all people.

This is coming from a spoiled rotten landowner.

04-Aug-17
Would you bring back some stories, with humorous climax, from Poland? Seriously, as an American, I don't appreciate enough of the things that I am to be a good stewart here on American soil, until I have traveled to other parts of the world. Every American should try it sometimes.

04-Aug-17
Agree. Everyone should try it, if they can. Not a cheap venture for sure, but eye opening.

I'm going to be doing some hunting over here as well, so I should learn a lot from that as well. And although it will have to be with a rifle, due to bow hunting being illegal, I hope it will be ok if I post a summary of the hunt here.

• Sitka Gear