MDW 07-Aug-17
turkulese 07-Aug-17
Thornton 08-Aug-17
turkulese 09-Aug-17
Thornton 09-Aug-17
writer 09-Aug-17
03-Aug-17

NOCROSSBOW's Link
http://www.kake.com/story/36039634/kansas-guide-sentenced-for-violating-hunting-laws?utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook_KAKE-TV

03-Aug-17
I took an archery class with that guy at Butler community college about 15 years ago. He was just starting the business then.

03-Aug-17
He used to lease properties around the ranch I guided on in 2005 and 2006. He did manage to upset a few landowners because he didn't hold up on his end of the deal. I see they ordered Him to "divest" in his business. That is going to be very hard for him to do since all he's ever done is guided. I suspect he will hire someone to run it for him. It's going to br hard explaining to the Feds where all that money comes from though.

03-Aug-17
"He was sentenced to five years' probation and ordered to pay $15,000 in restitution."

If he made $150,000 in the years he was guiding and doing the illegal things, sound like the reward far exceeded the risk

03-Aug-17
...but the 12 ban from hunting is pretty heavy, the heaviest I've heard of in Kansas.

06-Aug-17
I was told by a local game warden that the state was going to file charges after the federal trial is over.

06-Aug-17
Sounds about right. Kick a man when he's already down. I looked on his Facebook and it appears he recently broke several bones in some sort of an accident.

06-Aug-17
Never know that to happen, Leebo. Man asked to be kicked, Thorton. Shooting a hawk? How does he justify that one? Baiting waterfowl, repeatedly. Still, wonder if he's had prior convictions. The 12 year ban is more the 2X the most I've heard of, in Kansas.

07-Aug-17
Should be setting in a federal pen!!!

07-Aug-17
Don't know this guy personally, but do know who the family is. Genetics?

07-Aug-17
Is 12yrs ban from hunting too much? Is it a harsh sentence for this type of crime? I really don't know as I don't follow this type of thing often. I personally don't know much about KS's pursuit of hunting law violators, but I've always viewed hunting as a privilege that could be lost or taken away very easily. If I had done the things I read about in this case I would feel lucky to get to hunt here again... ever. If I had broken both federal and state laws I would assume both would charge me. Is that not how it works? Will they have to pursue different violations, can you not be sentenced for same crime at both the state and fed levels?

07-Aug-17
I don't know that 12 is to much. It's more like Kansas has been way to easy on game law violaters for ever.

07-Aug-17
Yeah, I'm having a real hard time feeling sorry for the guy here.

Hate that he was in an accident. His actions before the accident do not justify forgetting those crimes just because he's hurt.

Sounds like he's lucky to be alive AND not in jail. Hope he changes his ways. The 12 years is an opportunity to reflect and change, not a death sentence.

08-Aug-17
Writer-I know of several old farmers that made it a point to shoot hawks. One was my best friend that died of a sudden heart attack when I was 13. He shot them to protect his quail. He was the most law abiding Christian man I ever met. His ranch sat in the most beautiful spot in the Western Flint Hills and one day he heard a thump on the side of the house. He went out by his picture window to discover a dead quail that had tried to fly through the window to evade a hawk that was hawk was still circling above. Either way, I bet they had a bone to pick with him and he is being made an example of. Your TV personality guy that was charged the week before was doing the same thing for profit and he didn't get half that sentence.

09-Aug-17
Sounds like this guy was doing this for profit as well Thornton.

Im not sure I understand your logic for his defense?

I will agree they should have been much stiffer in handing out punishment for Bill Busbice.

09-Aug-17
Not defending him. Just pointing out more people do it than you think. I talked to someone familiar with his operation and he said it was rumored they had been trying to get the guy for quite a while.I wasn't talking about Bill Busbice either

09-Aug-17
My TV personality guy? You mean Bill Saiff III? Not "mine," but point taken. Shooting hawks to protect quail. Sounds good in theory, even if legal, but may not be. But big hawks, like redtails, can help the bird population. Snakes are generally tied with raccoons for the highest predators on quail nests. Redtails eat a lot more snakes than quail, and those same big snakes can wipe-out an entire nest. Some big quail ranches in Texas don't allow the killin' of coyotes because they eat snakes, rats, small raccoons and other things that raid nests.

• Sitka Gear