Kansasclipper 19-Aug-17
MDW 20-Aug-17
07-Aug-17

Garrett's embedded Photo
Garrett's embedded Photo
Garrett's embedded Photo
Garrett's embedded Photo
Gents,

Just starting running cameras on a new farm that I can hunt. I have a buck that is showing up on cameras but I am unsure on his age... I always struggle to age them this time of year. Interested in hearing your thoughts.

07-Aug-17
I struggle this time of the yr too however my 1st thought is, he has a good belly on him but a flat back. So, I'd venture 3 or 4. I don't think he is 2 nor do I think he is 5 but I could be wrong on the 5.

07-Aug-17

07-Aug-17
I'm clueless, I struggle more than anyone on age this time of year. He's look mature to me?

07-Aug-17
Haha I do not know that you guys are helping me... =)

07-Aug-17
I am going with three simply he does not appear to have a sway back. I should note that I do not attempt to age a deer before I shot it. If it feels right I shoot if not I do not shoot.

07-Aug-17
His chest is not filled out, he doesn't have that signature sway back. His legs are still long in comparison to his body. Most bucks are good and fat this time of year so the potbelly doesn't matter. 3.5 no older.

07-Aug-17
He looks fully trained, but will he come to his name when you call? That could help determine his age.

Everyone knows that mature bucks don't come to sadness spreader's during daylight hours so...

07-Aug-17
I was hoping you'd show up, Mr. Happiness.

07-Aug-17
Wont net 125, im in the 3.5yo crowd

08-Aug-17
I don't know Z... look at the mass it's carrying.

08-Aug-17
3 and 7/16 if he's a day.

08-Aug-17
124 7/8 net

08-Aug-17
older than 1.5 younger than 20.5

08-Aug-17
If he's 3 and half that means he was born in Feb?

08-Aug-17
Thanks guys. I am afraid that I am on the 3.5 year old team as well but I didn't want to be! You guys are life savers... for the deer =) I didn't want to post his rack because it tends to add to the confusion...

PS - sitO, you spend a TON of time on here spreading your "sadness", that must be why you haven't killed a deer in the last 5 years!

08-Aug-17
No, he will be 3.5 this december

08-Aug-17
4 1/6

08-Aug-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
Just haven't found one I want to kill recently CJ, surely if you've "watched" my hunts you know this? The biggest difference is that I actually hunt them ;?)

I spread no sadness...I'm Mr. Happiness don't you know?

08-Aug-17
Sito is right.... by definition

hunt verb verb: hunt; 3rd person present: hunts; past tense: hunted; past participle: hunted; gerund or present participle: hunting 1. pursue and kill (a WILD animal) for sport or food. "in the autumn they hunted deer" synonyms: chase, stalk, pursue, course, run down

Definition of wild 1a : living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated b (1) : growing or produced WITHOUT HUMAN AID or CARE

08-Aug-17
Lots of weight in the hips, are we sure it is not a doe?? Shawn

08-Aug-17
Why all the fractions? It's a two, three or four year old deer.

09-Aug-17
You're always good for a good meme sitO!

As a quick response to your corn pile hate, this property is 160 acres and has NO food source. It's 100 acres of CRP and 60 of timber. So i went in and cut out an area in the timber to put in a food plot. Its been sprayed, mowed, burned and seeded. I've also been running the boss buck feeder for the last month with protein pellet / corn mixture along side the mineral hole I put in back in April. This is the scene of the photo...

Point being, I work all year long and spend thousands of hours and dollars to get the opportunity to kill a respectable buck. And if you think that I am not a true hunter because I have feeders out, that's your right. But I can assure you this, I do not kill big deer year after year because of feeders. I kill deer because I put in the work and time.

09-Aug-17
PS - I'm headed to AK on the 25th, I sure hope someone has a Caribou "trained" for me! =)

09-Aug-17
Well if that's true then my excuse for not killing big deer year after year is invalid. What gives? :P

09-Aug-17
I have been killing big deer for 35 years and have never used bait. Guess I am a "Never Baiter".

09-Aug-17
SitO I am going to have to get me a corn slinger and Sitka gear so I can keep up with the young guns. Might even do a comb over and get some skinny jeans.

09-Aug-17
Pics or it didn't happen!

09-Aug-17
CJ, it's good that you're a "hard worker"...the world needs those more and more! You live in KS so no need for any of the supplements here, and every effort made was to provide an unfair advantage...think about that for a minute. I wish you well in AK, it's a beautiful state and you'll enjoy your time...hunting!

Jeff, unless you start wearing "Affliction" gear, Croc's, or "bling" jeans we can still be friends ;?)

09-Aug-17
I did order some new Predator camo today but that is old school.

10-Aug-17

z hunter's Link
All i need is a #rallycat to help me get a big buck this season.. (Very next pitch after this feline stopped the game was a grandslam)

10-Aug-17
Im sick of this rain, how am i to sit over a water tank when there is water everywhere?

When everyone has corn piles except sito, how do you expect him to have any deer?

10-Aug-17
We needed this rain very bad for the milo here and for the winter wheat that gets planted here in a few weeks. Much more important than bow hunting.

10-Aug-17
sitO, every product on the market for hunting, including calls, scents, clothing, trail cameras, ect... is an unfair advantage. Think about that next time you gear up in your Sitka clothes, spray down with Dead down wind, grab your 340 ft/ps bow, HUD and head into a farm where trail cam pictures show a buck frequently hitting the scrape you are hunting over...

10-Aug-17
Can't train'm with any of those things bud...but I know you know that too right?

Tell you what, I'll make you the same deal I've made others. Put trail cams on any of the aforementioned items in the woods, and compare the number of deer to the pics at the sadness spreader. If any one of them draws more I'll give you a shiney Benjamin ;?)

10-Aug-17
If you get 1500 pics a week in front of a feeder you will get 150 pics if your lucky without! To compare calls, camo, and scents to a corn pile is absurd. The only weakness a deer has is food! There is no reason whatsoever to feed a deer in Kansas other than to kill it. Our winters are mild for the most part. This is not North Dakota where you get 6 feet of snow on the ground for a couple of months. I can understand food plots to try and keep deer on your property so they are not poached by the neighbors but for the sole purpose of killing over corn, I don't like it.

10-Aug-17
"I don't hunt over it, tho...I promise"

10-Aug-17
Oooh fun with definitions! I'll bite.

"hunt verb verb: hunt; 3rd person present: hunts; past tense: hunted; past participle: hunted; gerund or present participle: hunting 1. pursue and kill (a WILD animal) for sport or food. "in the autumn they hunted deer" synonyms: chase, stalk, pursue, course, run down"

'Technically' excludes sitting in one spot and LURING deer with a DECOY.

LURE: tempt (a person or an animal) to do something or to go somewhere, especially by offering some form of reward. "the child was lured into a car but managed to escape" synonyms: tempt, entice, attract, induce, coax, persuade, inveigle, allure, seduce, win over, cajole, beguile, bewitch, ensnare

We'll leave off the jokes about "chasing women."

DECOY: a bird or mammal, or an imitation of one, used by hunters to attract other birds or mammals. "a decoy duck" a person or thing used to mislead or lure an animal or person into a trap. "we need a decoy to distract their attention" synonyms: lure, bait,

Oh hell. There's the BAIT (or should I say Sadness or Failure?) word.

BAIT: food used to entice fish or other animals as prey. "herrings make excellent bait for pike" synonyms: lure, decoy, fly, troll, jig, plug "the fish let go of the bait" an allurement; a thing intended to tempt or entice. "she used the prospect of freedom as bait to trap him into talking" synonyms: enticement, lure, decoy, snare, trap, siren, carrot, attraction, draw, magnet, incentive, temptation, inducement; informal come-on "was she the bait to lure him into a trap?"

Bait, lure, decoy. We've come full circle now haven't we? So much sadness. How embarrassing.

Definition of wild 1a : living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated b (1) : growing or produced WITHOUT HUMAN AID or CARE"

'Technically' excludes every deer feeding on human grown crops in the state of Kansas from being wild.

10-Aug-17
False... come on man.

10-Aug-17
With that logic, Kansas hunting technically would be impossible since our deer consume crops. Gonna have to put GPS collars on the bastards to make sure they don't eat acorns off of man planted trees. Legalistic traditionalists will have to start putting fences up keeping them constrained to all natural habitat.... BRO! Come on. If you use corn, you feel the need to compensate for something else. Probably have straight pipes on your truck too...

10-Aug-17

Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Charlie Rehor's embedded Photo
Taken from the Big Game Forums!

10-Aug-17
If you've been using corn for more than 5 years, does that make you a "master" baiter

10-Aug-17
I think it does, "technically".

10-Aug-17
"With that logic, Kansas hunting technically would be impossible since our deer consume crops"

Only for those that have self-righteously declared hunting deer over bait, I mean lure (wait I can't say that either) or rather decoying them by luring them with bait (wait is that corn or a decoy?) to be something they don't want to do.

10-Aug-17
I don't care what y'all do, but don't act like a decoy is equivalent to a corn pile or a feeder. Don't act like camo or a compound is comparable either. Quit kidding yourself.

10-Aug-17
Valiant effort Jeremy, if you'll eat the decoy I'll bring the fork. Again, try the trail cam challenge and even use a decoy...let me know how that works out for you. You simply cannot train an animal to come to any of those other items, but you can train them to come for food and that's what you fellas are doing...and you know it.

Ever heard of a guy named Pavlov? Maybe you could look up the definition of Sustenance for us?

10-Aug-17
Well Cherney you sure act like you care. I mean you went straight to accusations. Seems like maybe you're the one compensating. By the way, none of it is comparable to any of it. Thanks for making the point. You do you and quit insulting those that do it different.

I don't need to eat the decoy sitO, I actually kill deer. ;-) Sorry. Too easy. I'll issue you a better challenge than your trail cam challenge: Put away your trail cameras and your video cameras and your compound bow and your decoys and spot and stalk and kill a mature whitetail in open country with a recurve w/o sights. I did it a much harder way than using decoys and trail cameras and compound bows. I'll put down a shiny $100 you cant do that my way this year. If you can't do it, you have to publicly admit to the bowsite that your way of hunting is full of sadness and failure statues.

By the way, I'd be thrilled if I lose. ;-)

10-Aug-17
I am nowhere near good enough to take a shot at a live animal with a recurve or longbow, but maybe someday. That would be a great challenge, and I find it odd that you'd even consider that method in the same discussion with baiting? I too know a little about spot & stalk , but that's not the argument.

Training animals to come to a pre-determined location is not hunting, and not hard to understand. Artificial baiting has the potential to abolish an endeavor we both seem to care quite a bit about, by painting our "sport" in a bad light amongst those who don't hunt. Couple that with chance of a catastrophic disease outbreak, that could certainly be propagated by congregation, it's just not worth it...my opinion.

You go through this thing one time, you get to choose your path. Heck it's legal here on private land(for now)...so do what feels right to you.

P.S. I grilled a little Pronghorn tenderloin last weekend myself, not hungry ;?)

10-Aug-17
Accusations? I'm not insulting you unless you actually have straight pipes on your truck. But anyway, if you hunt over corn and justify that by comparing that to decoys you probably deserve to be insulted. Anywho... if you want to play the definition game you can't make the jump to try to prove a point by using synonyms and then saying technically. Not how that works. I really don't care if people use bait, just care when they make excuses and act like it's no different than not using bait. Cause it obviously is.

10-Aug-17
Cherney, "If you use corn, you feel the need to compensate for something else. Probably have straight pipes on your truck too..." I'd call that insults. Especially because the straight pipes one is so funny.

I don't have straight pipes on my truck, and I've never used corn in Kansas. Though I have tried it with no success in OK. The refreshing thing is I don't judge my success based on the opinions of others. Nor do I care to insult the manhood of anyone who does it different. You should try it. It's liberating. I wasn't the one that started the definition game and started stretching it to fit your own definitions. But the fact that I am pointing out your hypocrisy seems to have triggered you. Sorry.

10-Aug-17
Can we see pics of your buck you spot and stalked with a recurve and no sights? That's impressive.

10-Aug-17
Can we see pics of your buck you spot and stalked with a recurve and no sights? That's impressive.

10-Aug-17

Oakie's embedded Photo
Oakie's embedded Photo
Sure. Here you go. I haven't managed it again although I ground stalked my KS buck from last year with a failure sadness wheel bow.

10-Aug-17
I'm not triggered at all. Not being a hypocrite either. Just stating that I don't think baiting is hunting. Sorry if that offends you or anyone else.

11-Aug-17
If you kill a couple deer over a bait pile does Pavlov say anything about the deer behavior changing at that pile? Do they become nocturnal maybe?

11-Aug-17
Otis, just like the snowflakes, it's never the argument when it doesn't fit your narrative. When you seem to go out of your way to constantly criticize other people for doing something that you believe is easier than your way (for whatever obvious reasons you're doing it), then you open yourself up to being criticized for your method. It's the exact same argument. There's always someone out there doing it a harder way than someone else.

Your arguments about being dangerous to the sport are arguments at best. Given the constant complaining you also do about increase in non-resident tag sales, you're essentially breaking your own argument about it endangering hunting. Obviously, by technical definition, you're also training and luring deer to come into a location with your own form of bait, so that's false too. You think it's different, because LESS deer come in to a decoy than to a feeder? That's how you're choosing to define a hunt? You're so worried about defining how other people hunt, to fit your definition of what hunting is. And that's the whole point. Hunting is different for everyone. There are plenty that would accuse your method of not being hunting and you'd be absolutely convinced that they, too, were wrong.

Lets talk about introducing new hunters to the sport and lets look at how many tens of thousands of kids, myself included were hooked on hunting when they killed their first deer over a bait pile and decided right then and there that this was something they wanted to explore and enjoy in all its facets, forever. You going to tell me that they and their parents aren't hunting and that they aren't helping improve recruitment into the sport to keep it strong?

So I agree, you do it your way and leave others alone for doing it theirs.

Enjoy the pronghorn! Was it baited with a decoy? ;-)

11-Aug-17
You're talking in circles Jeremy, none of the comparisons hold water. Maybe you don't understand that living things need nourishment to survive above all else?

Point is, you cannot train a wild animal to come to any of the other "tools" mentioned. In fact, they'll eventually learn that there is no "reward" and stop responding, but not food, they can't...does that make sense? I might be able to draw a picture later if it would help?

Baiting isn't "another method" of hunting, it's not hunting in any sense of the word.

11-Aug-17
We will lose our rights to bow hunt because we are divided not because of anti hunters tree huggers or animal right crazies. We will fight amongst each other untill we have nothing to fight about any more. Sad!

11-Aug-17
Some may believe that Forrest, some believe fighting for hunting...actual hunting, is the right thing to do. You fight for what you believe in, I'll do the same.

Don't be sad.

11-Aug-17
Jeremy can't understand the simple statement that baiting isn't hunting. So let's try another example. Lets say you go to Africa to shoot a lion. Everyday for 5 years before you get there, they throw out a zebra carcass at 1pm sharp. The lions come in (even mature and massive trophy male lions) and eat it, because they have realized there is no danger associated with it and nobody has shot at them for 5 years, and it's an easy and delicious meal. The first day of year 6 you pony up some cash and they let you shoot it from the observation tower. Would you consider that to be hunting? Or naw? Did you shoot a lion? Sure. Is that a cool story to tell your buddies? Maybe. Was there any skill required except for aiming a weapon? Nope. Not hunting...you just shot a trained lion. What's the difference with feeding deer? Because you disturb the deer more often, so there is still a sense of danger associated with your corn pile? Here's an idea...leave your feeder alone for 3 or four years in a place with good access in close proximity to good bedding cover and maybe, just maybe, you'll get a trophy buck to offer you the same opportunity as that trophy lion did.

11-Aug-17
Thank God in this country the majority decides what actual hunting is.

11-Aug-17
Thank God... cause there would be wayyyyy too many deer if baiting was illegal everywhere.

11-Aug-17
Cherney, easy, yes it is a form of hunting. One that I am not personally interested in. But one that I have even less interest in criticizing anyone else over, because I don't need to bring anybody down in an effort to make up for personal failures. But hey, you guys do you.

11-Aug-17
How is that criticizing anyone? You think people that have decided they need to use bait are concerned with a random person on the internet saying they are taking the easy route? You think they don't already know it's easier? If they didn't see a benefit to it, why would they do it in the first place?

11-Aug-17
So I do some serious scouting and observation. Through the years I identify a saddle that the deer like to frequent in their travels to remain safe. Does imprint this travel route on their fawns. I play the wind and hunt the same stand every year when conditions are right, and usually score.

If I hunt this too much though, I have learned the deer adjust their travel patterns when they know I am there. I asked above, don't they do the same with a pile of bait? They certainly play the wind when they access my food plots.

11-Aug-17
Ouch... you got me.

11-Aug-17
Not to mention, most people know the true driving force for the mature whitetail buck in November isn't food at all, but breeding. And of course decoys are a top method to bait a buck during that period. And people use them because they make it easier. And if they didn't see a benefit to it, they wouldn't do it. And on and on.

But yeah, the comparison doesn't hold water. LOL

"My way is real and yours is not, because my way is harder. But you're not allowed to use that argument against me because that's not fair."

11-Aug-17
I fight for no more hunting (gun or bow) rights to be taking away from hunters..... You guys fight to be right. Crack the door and they will kick it in!

11-Aug-17
Obviously this isn't going anywhere. If you only hunt in November, then put your feeder out on the first day of your hunt. Thx.

11-Aug-17
Yeah it's not Cherney, because even when you're quitting, you still have the audacity to try and tell people how to hunt.

11-Aug-17
Just to help you out, I'm going with the 2. definition:

au·dac·i·ty ô?das?d?/Submit noun 1. the willingness to take bold risks. "her audacity came in handy during our most recent emergency" synonyms: boldness, daring, fearlessness, intrepidity, bravery, courage, heroism, pluck, grit; More 2. rude or disrespectful behavior; impudence. "she had the audacity to pick up the receiver and ask me to hang up" synonyms: impudence, impertinence, insolence, presumption, cheek, bad manners, effrontery, nerve, gall, defiance, temerity; More

11-Aug-17
You are trying to use a false analogy. I'm not telling anyone how to hunt. Just poking holes in your bad argument.

11-Aug-17
A False analogy is an informal fallacy. It applies to inductive arguments. It is an informal fallacy because the error is about what the argument is about, and not the argument itself.

An analogy proposes that two concepts which are similar (A and B) have a common relationship to some property. A has property X, therefore B must also have property X. In a false analogy, the objects may have some similarities, but they do not both have property X. That way, both objects may have the same color, but this does not mean that they have the same size.[1] Even if bananas and the sun appear yellow, one could not conclude that they are the same size. One who makes an invalid analogy or comparison is often said to be "comparing apples and oranges".

11-Aug-17
What is X? Hunting? What are A and B? Bait and Decoy? The only way to call it a false analogy is by defining hunting your way: as something that doesn't use bait. Or was it lure, which includes decoy? We're back to the definition game, which I've already shown to be a true analogy.

The only way you can win the argument, is to impose your own misguided definition of hunting on everyone else. And that is why you will never win.

11-Aug-17
Here in Colorado they made it illegal to hunt over a food plot they consider it baiting. I read a news article a few years back about a guy getting hammered for shooting an elk. He was set up on a trail that led to a salt lick. The Salt Lick was on private property he was on public property over 200 yards away. If we open the door pretty soon archery will be in jeopardy.

11-Aug-17
You are so wrong.... A is a feeder, B is a decoy (or camo, calls, compound bows, etc), and they don't both have property X, which is the ability to keep deer coming to a certain location. Making it a false analogy, proving that you are, indeed, wrong. Sorry man. Just own it. If you like baiting, then be a proud baiter. Don't downplay its importance and benefits.

11-Aug-17
I'm going to use Kyle as an example and only an example because I honestly don't see anything wrong with the way he hunts. But most people would consider what he does trophy hunting which is what the ant eyes are trying to stop the most. Because he is only hunting big rack mature bucks and not for meat for his family he is a Trophy Hunter not a real Hunter. Shooting animals just for their rack is wrong in millions and millions of people's eyes. Please excuse the talk-to-text I'm driving

11-Aug-17
Open the door to not baiting? Is that what you mean, Forest? What door are you concerned about?

11-Aug-17
With that logic, Forest, none of us could hunt unless we were under a certain income level. Otherwise, you could buy your meat. I would say that is opening the door to some odd debate. We live in a free country. This isn't a debate about the legality of baiting. We could discuss that as well, but there is a lot more science involved in that discussion. It's a debate over the equivalency of baiting deer to deer hunting tools such as weapons, calls, decoys, etc...

11-Aug-17
"property X, which is the ability to keep deer coming to a certain location"

So your definition of X is the ability to KEEP luring deer to a certain location. That's how you define hunting, at least for this particular pending failure until you post in another 5 minutes with another attempt. Then false because multiple deer will come to a decoy during a set and have even left it and returned.

And by the way you just eliminated hunting over food plots, as well as hunting over crop fields, or even wild acorn trees or whatever else brings deer to a location repeatedly. Including Habitat's excellent example of a secure saddle.

Keep trying, or follow your own advice and own it.

And no it's not a debate over equivalency of baiting deer to deer hunting tools, it's a debate over whether or not baiting is hunting. You need to go back and refresh yourself on what your argument is. Maybe that will help you own it quicker.

11-Aug-17
Before you start in with more false denials that "I never said that":

"Jeremy can't understand the simple statement that baiting isn't hunting."

11-Aug-17
Your argument all along has been that baiting is just another deer hunting tool and us hunters should treat it as such and mind our own business about how others choose to hunt. All along, we've said that baiting is not hunting, nor is it a hunting tool. (Because something that removes the hunt aspect of hunting can no longer be considered a hunting tool). Take some time to digest that, it's a somewhat complicated concept.

We may need to refer back to the accepted definition of hunt (see above).

Okay ready to continue? Definition of keep: 1) provide for the sustenance of (someone). "he had to keep his large family in the manner he had chosen" 2) provide (someone) with a regular supply of a commodity. "the money should keep him in cigarettes for a week" 3) own and look after (an animal) for pleasure or profit. synonyms: breed, rear, raise, farm; More: own and manage (a shop or business).

Definitions 2 and 3 are most applicable in this instance. Pick one.

This makes it so we are no longer considered to be hunting since the animals we are pursuing are provided with a regular commodity provided by humans. The crops you keep talking about are only available at certain times of the year and are available in abundance across the Midwest. Your deer can choose to go any cardinal direction and find food in the wild. Why would they, though, when you have a prepared meal for them that takes little to no work.

K, so now we're back to the fact that I've been making the same point all along, and you keep pissing in the wind because you're upset we don't think baiting is hunting. If that offends you, so be it. That's something you're gonna have to deal with, because life is hard and sometimes people say things that make other people feel bad. Didn't you mention snowflakes earlier?

11-Aug-17
The keep in my sentence above is not quite the same as the definition I provided. Keep in the original post would be: continue or cause to continue in a specified condition, position, course, etc.. In which case you said a decoy has brought the same deer to your decoy repeatedly in the same set. Obviously this wasn't a mature deer, or you would have shot it initially, but if your decoys are so good that deer continually come to them, why would you spend so much on a feeder and corn?

11-Aug-17
The door is any hunting rights we have now being taken away

11-Aug-17
You're right tho...that's not a false analogy. A deer has returned in the same day to a decoy. So that must mean it's the same as a deer coming to the same feeder daily for months....

11-Aug-17
I really can't argue with someone who uses 'keep' as a verb in a sentence for his ultimate argument and then argues that the definition of it is one that is associated with a noun.

Talk about false analogy. The irony in that is just... awesome.

The actual definition of the verb keep when used as in keep deer coming to a certain location.

keep k?p/Submit verb 1. have or retain possession of. "my father would keep the best for himself" 2. continue or cause to continue in a specified condition, position, course, etc. "she could have had some boyfriend she kept quiet about" synonyms: remain, continue to be, stay, carry on being, persist in being "I tried to keep calm"

When you put up a decoy and a buck sees it, he starts walking toward it and he does what? He keeps coming.

This is absurd now, but so comical.

So your first attempt to rebut the false analogy post has to be corrected because you caught yourself in a false analogy by comparing a continuing direction (verb) with a noun meant to describe something entirely different than anything we've been talking about. But hey at least you quickly attempted to correct yourself.

But yes, lets get back to the definition of hunting. The Merriam Webster definition of hunting:

Definition of hunting 1 : the act of one that hunts; specifically : the pursuit of game 2 : the process of hunting

Or how about just hunt:

1 a : to pursue for food or in sport hunt buffalo b : to manage in the search for game hunts a pack of dogs 2 a : to pursue with intent to capture hunted the escapees b : to search out : seek 3 : to drive or chase especially by harrying members … were hunted from their homes — J. T. Adams 4 : to traverse in search of prey hunts the woods

That's really all that needs to be said. It's clearly does not exclude any methods to achieve the goal.

You want to move on to wild because you hate losing and the hunt definition didn't help you so you want to claim you only hunt WILD deer and they're only wild because they don't have human intervention? (Like Decoys. But I digress)

Definition of wild 1 a : living in a state of nature and not ordinarily tame or domesticated wild ducks b (1) : growing or produced without human aid or care wild honey (2) : related to or resembling a corresponding cultivated or domesticated organism c : of or relating to wild organisms the wild state 2 a : not inhabited or cultivated wild land b : not amenable to human habitation or cultivation; also : desolate 3 a (1) : not subject to restraint or regulation : uncontrolled; also : unruly (2) : emotionally overcome wild with grief; also : passionately eager or enthusiastic

Now you're at the crux of the argument. Your BEST argument is that the deer are not as wild because they're coming to a human provided food source. And that's also unfortunately where everything falls apart. Because it's everywhere. So either give up hunting in KS because it doesn't fit your limitations, or accept that it's all just different methods of baiting and luring deer in a human affected environment. Some are easier than others, for sure. But it's all still hunting. Or just agree to disagree and then do everyone else a favor and keep your opinion to yourself.

11-Aug-17
We can agree to disagree, that's great. You can continue to justify your need to bait and defend baiting with the idea in your head that it's the same as using a decoy. Even though deep down, you know it's not the same at all. We've had to go down 100 rabbit holes in an attempt to help you see that deer do not need decoys to survive. They do however need food, and like humans, they will often settle for the easiest method available to obtain such food. They eat from the feeder. You shoot them while they do it. So really, we've come full circle. Anyone that shoots deer using a feeder is just fulfilling their animal instincts of obtaining food in the easiest manner legally available. No shame in that, if that's what you get the most enjoyment out of. I'm not trying to tell people what to do. Just, again, pointing out that it's not the same. No matter how hard you try to explain the contrary.

You tell yourself that deer like decoys and camo and calls as much as they like cracked corn if that makes you feel good.

11-Aug-17
Changing your argument again. I understand why.

It's not the same and I've never said that it is the same, but it's still hunting.

And by the way, I've not killed a deer over a corn feeder since I was... 12. But it's very telling to see that people like you and Sito immediately make the assumption that because I accept that as a viable hunting method, means that is the method I have to use to succeed or feel good.

11-Aug-17
I don't understand what part of my argument is changing? I say it's not hunting, you say it is. Neither of us are going to change our minds on that, most likely. Do good hunters bait? Yes, even you said you've done it. I know several other good hunters that do. Does my opinion of what hunting is matter to anyone? Most likely it doesn't. I see what you are saying as far as not worrying about what other people do. That's cool, and admirable. I used to share that viewpoint. I won't bash on anyone for rifle hunting, even using a crossbow. Everyone chooses to use the equipment and methods they prefer, and like you said that is great. Baiting, however, is not the same as those other decisions. It is much more damaging to the sport of Kansas deer hunting in my opinion than any other currently legal season stipulation, equipment, or tool. That's why I've decided to openly push for the removal of it as a legal option of drawing in deer.

11-Aug-17
Jeremy, I don't think anyone said it's something you "have to use" did they? It's a choice...you obviously don't have to use it, nor does anyone else right? It certainly is a viable method to consistently "attract and hold" deer, but it's not a method to "hunt" deer...and nobody could feel good about sitting and staring at a feeder...at least nobody with a conscience.

11-Aug-17
Cherney, you start off saying technically sitting over a feeder is not hunting. You finish by saying no one can say that it's the same. That is changing your argument.

If you'd like to say that it's a different form of hunting and that it's easier, then we can agree. (At least partially, because I've never successfully killed a mature deer over corn since I've been an adult, despite trying some. ) But you would then be contradicting your original statement that technically baiting is not hunting.

You want to push legislation to change it, more power to you, but what's the point of coming on a post with a guy that has a pic of a feeder and joining in on the 'failure pile' bashing? You think that's helping your cause?

11-Aug-17
Sito, with respect, if I apply your logic, neither is luring a deer with decoy. That's your logic not mine.

And I'll take exception to the staring at a feeder comment since I consider my children to have a conscience, and some of the best times we have had have been spent sitting in a blind staring at a feeder. When my father got me into hunting, he was smart enough to take me where I was guaranteed to see deer and enjoy the experience. I'll do the same for my kids, thank you. And yes, it's still hunting.

It is a choice. That's the point to be made this whole time. Now please leave others alone when they make a choice different than yours.

11-Aug-17
There have been multiple points of debate. My position hasn't changed on any of them. You may not agree with my reasoning, but that doesn't mean I'm changing my argument. It's a legal method of attracting deer. Even an effective method. I'll say that. Not gonna call it hunting. It's illegal in some places... wonder why? We agree that it's easier than killing a deer without it. Making progress. I'm not sure it would be easier to kill a mature buck over one than another method, but I don't have enough feeder experience (none) to know. I do however know that it works wonders in getting trail cam pics. Was even told it's a great way to inventory a place. So obviously a lot of people find benefits in it.

What's the point of me debating it with fellow hunters? I guess just the fun of it. I like to argue. And lose badly obviously. But in all honesty, I think lots of people around the state read this stuff, and that may have more impact than me, a nobody, lobbying to a state representative that only cares about what makes the most money. Which is baiting. Why do you feel such a strong urge to defend the honor of the baiters out there? If I want to publicly divulge the fact that I'm an outspoken jerk, shouldn't I have that right just like the old boy coming up from Louisiana has the right to pay 3K to shoot a booner over a pile of corn?

11-Aug-17
Jeremy, I can speak of my experience and opinions...as can you. I'd argue that your kids would enjoy sitting with you whether they saw/killed anything or not...at least I hope so. This "instant gratification/easy button" stuff is no good for anyone.

11-Aug-17
Sito, speaking of experiences and opinions can be done without ridiculing others. Your examples in your hunts speak volumes. And then your ridiculing destroys all you built. Just my opinion.

I'll raise my kids how I want, and hunt how I want. Thanks.

11-Aug-17
My kids must have been short changed since they have never seen a corn pile. What a poor parent I must be! And we have another thread on here crucifying a guide for hunting ducks over bait!

11-Aug-17
Cherney, good point. You do have the right to be an outspoken jerk. That's something you want to be proud of?

11-Aug-17
Did you not ridicule others Jeremy? I want you and others to feel it...and you do.

11-Aug-17
Only those that start it. And no, I don't.

11-Aug-17
I'm not proud of it. Unfortunately when you talk about passionate and contested topics, people tend to be offended one way or the other.

11-Aug-17
Well Cherney that's kinda what I wish I could get across here. Do things your way, be content with yourself doing it your way, and you'll never have to worry about offending someone who does it different. But that's not a very popular opinion among the outspoken here.

11-Aug-17
Noted. Nothing wrong with that train of thought. Especially if you aren't opposed to baiting. I think at this point people should expect some teasing when they post pics with feeders or ask for advice on baiting.

11-Aug-17
One Indian uses hides and sneaks up on a buffalo and shoots him with his bow and arrow another Indian runs a herd off a cliff and sends his Squaw to go get the meat. Who's the better Indian?

11-Aug-17
If Indians had guns they wouldn't have done either of those....

12-Aug-17
So they would be considered bad hunters to most on this site.

12-Aug-17
Damn, my popcorn that I grabbed a while ago is all gone. Should I pop some more and tune back into this soap opera?

Not to change the subject but how many of us non-residents were issued 2 buck tags again this year? That means I can shoot one over my failure pile and one in the tree next to Sito while he's on his 100th day on stand. ;)

Keep arguing boys until someone's deemed the winner.

12-Aug-17
Will be happy when P and Y, B and C, don't allow animals taken over bait to be recorded in the books. It is under consideration, but would be hard to enforce. personally I could not care less about looking at a world record animal taken over bait. But that is just me and I really don't give a rats how people hunt on private lands. I ain't anything special when it comes to bow hunting, but I know how I feel. and I would have rather shut my d*** in a door than hunt over bait, the feeling would be about the same to me..It would hurt, and I would not like it. The personal satisfaction just would not be there. Patting myself on the back here a little. I once belly crawled over 200 yards through an open hay field, in the pouring rain, towards a buck that was constantly grunting but not moving, then climb up a tree, and when I got into the tree I spot the deer just 40 yards away bedded down. Such a thrill to watch him for over an hour and then he gets up and walks right under the tree. Scored 195 NT. My point here, for me, is if I had been setting on a bait pile, would have meant NOTHING to me to shoot such a animal. I just can't understand how a person can feel elated and excited and accomplished about bait shooting. If you got to do it for meat and to help the budget that is ok I guess, but if a record book walks up and you fetch it, don't start bragging about it, well you can, but, deep down you know, It ain't nothing to brag about. One of the best things that the fish and game has done is not allow baiting on public lands. Ok, back to my cave.

12-Aug-17
I wonder if there any states that outlaw a decoy? What is that old saying "Give a man a fish he will eat for a day". Kids love looking for old rub lines and finding scrapes. Tracking anything and trying to figure out what made that track. I really enjoy teaching my kids woodsmanship. We did have a few hard tracks at the river last week. One being an argument on what type of turtle and the other on an armadillo. Props on the recurve kill done it many of times in open country but with my compound closest deer being less than 15'. Man I love that type of hunting.

12-Aug-17
I read in Alabama that you will have to buy a license to bait on private lands. Think it was $15. Prior to that I believe it was a violation to bait in that state.

12-Aug-17
Sorry I don't get the recurve thing, thousands of guys shoot deer and many other critters spot and stalk with recurves and longbows. Hell I have been known to do it myself quite a bit. Also killed quite a few with them from trees. The baiting thing I do get, you can in no way compare decoying, scents, sprays or any of that to baiting. You cannnot even compare a small food plot to baiting as a food plot the deer still has choices as to conditioning them to coming to a feeder or a pile of corn, they are basically com to an exact pre-determined spot. Shawn

12-Aug-17
I disagree deerman, i can plant a 40acre foodplot and cover every inch of it with a rifle. Maybe you need to define small.

People know where deer bed, they plant a 1 acre foodplot, they set a couple stands for different winds and can cover the entire plot with a compound, crossbow, ml, or rifle.

Why do you wear camo? To hopefully blend in and beat the vision.

Why do you wash your self, your clothes, and spray down with scent killers? To hopefully beat the nose.

Why do you sneak to a tree and try to be quiet? To hopefully beat the ears.

Why do you hunt water? To hopefully be there for the desire to drink.

Why do you hunt acorns, apples, planted crops, or bait which you placed on the ground? To hopefully be there for the desire to eat.

People hunt soybeans, move to acorns, follow the milo,..deer love sunflowers and standing corn.. i have waited 3 seasons for the property to get back to milo which i will hunt this fall.. i dont need corn for my bait..i prefer standing milo.

Deer drives by rifle hunters kill more deer than any cornpile.

12-Aug-17

Kansasclipper's Link

12-Aug-17

Kansasclipper's Link

12-Aug-17
zhunter this is a bow hunting site. I was not talking rifle hunting at all. I do not gun hunt except for a few days a year I go with family. Baiting and drawing deer to a specific spot and I mean a spot within a 20 ft circle is in no way like a food plot unless you plant 20x20 foot food plots. Shawn

12-Aug-17

Kansasclipper's Link

12-Aug-17
I just posted some info, I don't know.

12-Aug-17
Deerman406, do you want to ban all forms of edible bait? If so, that would have to include any food sources placed or planted by man.

Jeff, i noticed how you mentioned that the Feds ban the baiting of migratory birds.. You do realize it is legal to plant a crop, then flood that crop and hunt it..many people raise and burn standing wheat in a strategic location to shoot daily limits of doves.

Foothold traps for Raccoons are "Baited".. It is also legal in Ks to bait Turkeys..

Are we just trying to ban baiting of deer? Or all animals which we hunt with a bow, since this is a bow hunting forum??

12-Aug-17
From KDWP website:

"There is currently no known treatment or eradication method for CWD, so preventing the introduction of the disease into new areas is of utmost importance to the health of local deer herds. Baiting and feeding deer tend to concentrate deer at small point on the landscape, often with the trails leading to the feeding sites resembling the wheel spokes of a bicycle. Anytime animals are concentrated at this type of "hub," the likelihood of disease transmission increases in a deer herd. More alarming, the transferring of CWD prions to healthy deer is not the only concern. Diseases such as bovine tuberculosis, foot rot, and fungal infections; and a host of detrimental parasites, including exotic lice, flukes, mange mites, lungworms, and barberpole worms are transmitted more efficiently when deer are concentrated in a small area, especially around feeding stations."

So, not only does baiting make you weak...it has great potential to make the animals we pursue weak...don't be weak.

12-Aug-17
I will say as a sportsman Montana looks better and better every year. No baiting, no food plots, no cameras after the big game season begins.

12-Aug-17
CWD started in Wyoming. I have seen many cows and animals use the same water tank on dry years. Why is it not spread there? Why don't all the Deer and antalope die there?

12-Aug-17
Forrest, did you read the entire paragraph? Can you? There are eight other things listed as potential negatives that can coincide with baiting.

If there was just one would it matter? Would it make it "ok" until an outbreak, or the death of "X" number of cervids? We don't even know what CWD prions can do to humans at this point...if anything...but is it worth a chance? Do you know why CO, KS, and other states are taking core samples of brain tissue from infected areas? Do you care about your family or friends or other humans in general?

Tell me Forrest, why do you bait?

12-Aug-17
Because I can.

12-Aug-17
Bait will be first then food plots then any crop then archery will be inhumane ect. I'm sorry but if it's legal I have to support it. Doesn't mean I have to do it.

12-Aug-17
So you support everything legal?

12-Aug-17
Lol. No. Just legal hunting. Look what happened in Europe with archery hunting.

12-Aug-17
This ain't Europe bud

12-Aug-17
This is what I think would happen in Kansas if you took away baiting. Archery success rate would go way down. Animals would overpopulate and actually get diseases. Overpopulation is the leading cause of disease being spread in animals. So then the state would be forced to issue more rifle tags. The feds would step in at some point and completely wipe out the entire population and stop hunting all together.

12-Aug-17
short term effects would be a large number of out-of-staters who archery hunt not hunting in Kansas therefore the state would be forced to make up the money lost an out-of-state rifle tags.

12-Aug-17
It would be great if we could increase complete habitat stewardship and cooperation amongst LOs to accomplish a healthier, balanced system.

12-Aug-17
"This is what I think would happen in Kansas if you took away baiting. Archery success rate would go way down. Animals would overpopulate and actually get diseases. Overpopulation is the leading cause of disease being spread in animals. So then the state would be forced to issue more rifle tags. The feds would step in at some point and completely wipe out the entire population and stop hunting all together."

25 years ago no one baited and this never happened. And the success rate was much lower back then and hunting pressure was half of what it is now.

12-Aug-17
What never happened?

12-Aug-17
Pfff, If you aint hunting with Tinks, you aint hunting!

Should be a huge market for a corn price comparable deer feed which doesnt cause acidosis.

13-Aug-17

sitO's embedded Photo
sitO's embedded Photo
This might "fit" you better Frank?

13-Aug-17
Might ask your dad about that one first?

13-Aug-17
Sorry bud, all in fun I hope you know

15-Aug-17
What did I miss? Are the "ant eyes" after us? :)

15-Aug-17
Oakie, thanks for trying to bring light to the anti baiting team. Unfortunately you are arguing with guys that haven't killed a deer since I've been a member on Bowsite, hunt on the opposite side of the state as me and still know my situation...? Hell, one of the guys lives in NY and I think he's only been to KS twice!

If you guys think that deer in MY area flock to feeders, you are very confused. There are more feeders in any given section of land in NE KS than you have in your entire county! Majority of the mature deer are creatures of the corn. That is why I generally do not get pictures of mature bucks until the corn gets cut. But i am sure you guys know that already...

The feeders are not the problem, the limited cover in our area and the overall deer density is the problem. You guys out west have no idea the number of animals we have around here! I bet more deer get killed by cars in Johnson county than rifles out west!

But I know that you will have your thoughts and I will have mine. So, to bring this thing full circle, I asked about a deers age. I never said I was going to hunt this animal over a feeder or at all for that matter. Chances are I will not even pursue him because he is to young.

So i guess that makes me a trophy hunting, master baiter with no conscience that HAS to take the easy way out. =)

15-Aug-17
They're watching you......?????

15-Aug-17
Spoken like a true Johnson County resident...

15-Aug-17
You might have better luck getting feedback on the Missouri site since their habitat is more similar to yours. Us ignorant hicks from west of Topeka are just plain clueless.

15-Aug-17
Not "us" Pat, I singled you out! I have hunting buddies all over the state so do not try and put yourself in a crowd.

You just keep doing what you do and I'll do the same.

15-Aug-17
Garrett, I believe it's only me that hasn't killed a deer recently, so no need to generalize. You may have killed several, but from the looks of things none were actually hunted.

You don't "have to take the easy way" ...you choose to.

15-Aug-17
Right on. Good luck. Hope the creatures of the corn make their way to your feeder sooner than later.

15-Aug-17
sit0, I am glad that you assume that none of my deer were "hunted" because I posted a picture with a feeder... Just FYI, I've only killed one deer that was coming to corn. And that was the deer I wounded last year in Nov, after I grunted him in and then killed him in December. I am sure you remember this buck... I believe it was my first post on bowsite and you de-railed that thread with your anti baiting hate, just like this thread! At least you're consistent.

15-Aug-17
Sitting in a tree taking pics and texting your buddys is not really hunting either is it. Some guys are hiking 10 miles a day sleeping on the ground for days. They think sitting in a tree stand is not hunting. Are they wrong?

15-Aug-17
The reason they are road kills in JO Co is because no one can hunt them there.

15-Aug-17
Not true at all Mr. Easton. Nearly every piece of ground around me greater than 10 acres is bow hunted. There are some larger parks that are not hunted but the DNR handles that on their own. (Shawnee Mission Park) I sell real estate for a living and I get calls almost every day where people are looking for land to hunt. I add trail camera pictures of deer on almost every land listing I have.

15-Aug-17
I do that too Forest, but nice try there.

You guys put your helmets together and see if you can come up with more excuses to justify your shortcomings...it's quite entertaining.

15-Aug-17
WOW..... I missed out on a lot in the last few days. We were at our place getting everything ready. Corn is 10' tall and the Beans are thick! Ready !!

Snowflake

15-Aug-17
THIS IS SO FUN

15-Aug-17
It's the same'ol same'ol York, won't disappoint ya ;?)

15-Aug-17
Dats me. Changed my name to Snowflake.

15-Aug-17
Makes sense

15-Aug-17
Garrett: so you say that JO co is wide open access and all folks have opportunities there to hunt close to home? Please excuse me if I don't buy it.

16-Aug-17
Haven't been on in months....A baiting debate???? No way!

18-Aug-17
There are several on here that simply cannot spell without spellcheck, nor can they kill a nice buck without corn.

19-Aug-17

doubledrop's embedded Photo
doubledrop's embedded Photo
Saw this one at one of our local flea markets. Cracked me up. Thought of you instantly, Kyle.

19-Aug-17
I've scarred you for life, sorry Dylan ;) Have a great season with the young'ns!

19-Aug-17
There needs to be 2 meat poles this year: 1 for the hunters and 1 for the corn holers!

19-Aug-17
I was going to do that last year Jeff, but most baiters are ashamed of having to cheat and wouldn't be honest anyway.

19-Aug-17
We know who they are!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20-Aug-17
CJ, I've seen several of those listing's, (not especially yours) great hunting, etc. I actually looked at a couple of them. One had a nice hill side and from it, you could see the entire property and both trees that grew on it. Anything taller than a jackrabbit could be seen, as grass was non-existent. In my area, every listing says great hunting, no matter what the ground looks like.

This Topic has been locked. Thank you.

• Sitka Gear