hobbes 14-Aug-17
JL 15-Aug-17
hobbes 15-Aug-17
JL 15-Aug-17
Missouribreaks 16-Aug-17
07-Aug-17

WeekendWarrior's embedded Photo
WeekendWarrior's embedded Photo
Has anyone noticed they sent out a correction to the game camera rule? It now shows as the image attached. Does this mean game cameras can be used during season as long as you aren't using the camera while hunting? Does this mean you can use them as long as they don't relay information electronically to your person should an animal walk in front of your camera while you are hunting? Just curious as it seems to be more ambiguous now than before...

07-Aug-17
I think its ambiguous as well and FWP should be able to do better. If an attorney wrote it, they need to find another job. A GW at bowhunter ed a couple weeks ago said the intent was that you cannot use if it relays info back to you. If you must physically go to camera, it can be used during season.

08-Aug-17
I'm not familiar with this history behind the law. Why was it implemented in the first place? I'm speculating it may have been a knee jerk reaction to cell cams by a special interest group and not the FWP???

08-Aug-17
I like the idea of putting game cameras up during hunting season. However, there are a lot of people out in the woods then, and your game camera stands a good chance of disappearing.

08-Aug-17
here's my take on the law, if you have a current hunting license you can not use a game camera during a sanctioned hunting season, if you are not hunter then it would be ok, I see a problem, somebodys wife or child or friend has the game camera and is getting info for you ????? it is a confusing dilemma for sure

08-Aug-17
It seems like they are allowing game cameras now during the hunting seasons if I am reading this correctly.

08-Aug-17
I think Hobbes' interpretation via the game warden is correct. And yes it is poorly worded by calling them motion tracking devices. But I think the key part is that it transmits information to the hunter, seems OK now if you have to walk to the camera to get the pictures. Was probably worded by our wonderful, all knowing F&G commission.

08-Aug-17
It is legal during hunting season by anyone as long as it does not relay/transmit data remotely.

09-Aug-17
Just to illustrate the bad wording, if you shot a GPS collared animal, is that legal?

09-Aug-17
I agree that the language needs work.

As far as the GPS collar goes, it does not relay info to "the hunter".

09-Aug-17
If a hunter has access to the website where the GPS Sat data is sent, they will know where the animal is simply by checking their cell phone. Of course how many hunters have access to it? Maybe the folks who run the program or their buddies. Canada has/had a website you could go to and GPS track the caribou in Quebec to see what general area they are in.

10-Aug-17
How could they possibly enforce and investigate transmissions from a game cam and wouldn't a worsen need a warrant to look at your phone or computer?

11-Aug-17
They are great for catching trespassers, no rule against that.

14-Aug-17
JL, no offense intended, but that is one heck of a stretch.

Highllainsdrifter, I dont think they would be looking for the actual transmission. It would be a simple matter of finding a model of camera in use during hunting season that is capable of sending a signal. If they can confirm its your camera, expect a citation.

15-Aug-17
Hobbes....not really as far fetched as you think. I've been involved in a MIA recovery project in Greenland. GPS satellite trackers were planted in the ice to track the movement of the ice. A signal is sent back to the satellite and then downloaded to a website where anyone with access to the website can track the movement. The same technology is used for tracking wild animals for scientific purposes. However if someone has access to the website, they can see where the animal or herd is currently at....even on their cell phone. Now of course that is not a daily scenario but it is very possible.

15-Aug-17
Its still a stretch considering any website that shows that data from fwp is not live streaming data. At best its a seasonal report in pdf format that shows where the animal was tracked throughout the season.

The simple fact is game cameras are legal in season unless they transmit data remotely (cellular). Its as simple as that.

15-Aug-17
The live streaming or snapshots will not necessarily come from the FWP, it would be a research group or maybe a college/university. The Mississippi State U does alot of wildlife research across the country. The Quebec caribou tracking is normally a bi-weekly update. Here is the link to it.

http://mffp.gouv.qc.ca/english/wildlife/maps-caribou/maps.jsp

16-Aug-17
Buckeye cams will send via email, pictures and videos immediately to your cell phone or home computer. Pictures can be transmitted to any phone, all over the US, and immediately. We use Buckeye cameras extensively on human roads and trails to document and curb trespassing. These are security cameras, but I suppose they could be used to monitor wildlife too.

• Sitka Gear