badjuju 08-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 08-Sep-17
badjuju 08-Sep-17
stillhunter 08-Sep-17
scout 08-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 20-Sep-17
mrw 20-Sep-17
08-Aug-17
Now don't laugh folks,.. my property has been overrun by chipmunks,.. the lady who loves critters,.. for years has forbade me from shooting or poisoning them.

Finally after they have started damaging some of the rock walls and eaten some of our roots of plants she said get rid of them. I got the green light to hunt them !! Whoot! Poison could hurt other critters who eat sick half dead ones,. like our cat, who seems too old now to control the population. :(

Shit hunting chipmunks,.. ok let's dive in,.. Bow ,... them arrows are expensive,.. not a good option gun,.. nope I do not have the distance,..

So I came to the ideal of a scoped BB gun,.. hell it would be fun at least,..

Any advice,.. my guess is I have several dens on the property not sure exactly how many but my thoughts are many dozens of chipmunks. They just hang out now as I walk by like screw you,..

Recommendations for a bb gun and I hope the laws are ok to shoot that on my land right?? Pump gun? Honestly this is a brand new form of critter control for me any advice appreciated.

The Mighty Chipmunk Hunter :)

08-Aug-17
Fill a five gallon bucket up about a third of the way with water. Put a 2x4 from the edge to the ground. Sprinkle sunflower seeds up the 2x4 and in the water. Chippies will jump into the water after the seeds and drown. You'll catch every one this way.

Otherwise just put out some bird food near their holes and shoot them when they come out.....of course you'll need to be scent free, in your pop up blind, get there and hour before daylight, and sit over your bait pile. Lol

08-Aug-17
lol guys. any pellet gun will do the trick. baiting helps tremendously. but for an easier, quicker, and cheaper method go for the bucket with sunflower seeds. works fantastic! I do know it is open season on them all year, not sure about the baiting part.

08-Aug-17
Did I hear you correct? You said they are damaging a stone wall?

08-Aug-17

Belchertown Bowman's embedded Photo
I have a handmade stone wall falling backwards into the bed where one tunnel complex exists,.. I nicknamed it Norad. I suspect they excavated so much soil they made it unstable,..

OK now i am not sure if that is it ... could just be the wall settled over 15 years when I built it... but I told the lady it is probably the monks,.. but she okayed the BB gun hunt..

Guys thanks for the 5 gallon bucket ideal,.. honestly there are so many I could probably not shoot them all. Still gonna get the bb gun and have some off season hunting.... anyone cook up a chipmunk? OMG she would kill me!!

:)

08-Aug-17
Damn it,.. would you believe they will not ship me a BB gun (Amazon),.. I guess they think I will kill someone with it?

I am Stunned,.. Really? I just went to order a BB gun and they said no.. cannot ship it to my addy?

What do you have to present a LTC to buy a BB gun?

I can only think this state is more messed up than I thought

Hauls out the 5 gallon bucket,.. eyes the old bow and aluminum arrows,.. hmm?

08-Aug-17
Pile of bird seed .22 and done

08-Aug-17
Can't shot a .22 as neighbors are within 500 feet

I assume that discharge of a gun when hunting laws are the same even off season? 500 feet of an occupied building..

I need to live in a less populated state

08-Aug-17
I enjoy hunting Stone Wall Tigers!

My yard is loaded with them this year. Get a decent air rifle and have fun.

09-Aug-17
my buddy shoots hundreds of those every year with a 177 pellet rifle,, of course skunks, coons and everything else gets it too but he has chickens and doesn't want the critters near his chickens.

09-Aug-17
Dicks will sell you a pump Daisy BB gun, Walmart used to as well. My girls had pink ones before they moved up. Close range head shots will take out a chipmunk if you pump the snot out of it, body shots aren't going to work.

09-Aug-17
I've used rat traps baited with peanut butter and oats set near an entrance to one their tunnels with success. Can put under a 5 gallon bucket to keep away from dogs, cats, kids etc....

09-Aug-17
+1 on bloodtrail killed tons that way

09-Aug-17
If your under 500 ft then even a bow or pellet gun is illegal .... Traps...

09-Aug-17
BloodTrail,.. that is funny as hell ,.. the scent free get out early in my pop up blind,.. OMG Lady is like what is so funny,.. never mind Dear,.. just the guys on the hunting forums,..

MRW,.. Dicks BB gun thanks, will be there this weekend

Muzzy,.. Stone Wall Tigers,.. Love it!

JD,.. always been a bit of rebel,.. probably gonna (Will) break a law or two shooting chipmunks on my property within 500 feet of another house,.. What a crazy rule,.. a BB gun ? Really? Christ as kids we put on safety glasses and hunted each other !!

Anyways thanks for all the input folks,.. hey as a new guy to these forums you folks are awesome!

Tips hat in all your general directions,.. with Thanks!

09-Aug-17
Back when I was in my teens I walked around with my recurve with judo points and shot at a bunch. If I remember correctly I got one but came close on the others. Good practice with the recurve and a lot of fun.

11-Aug-17
R&R Sport shop is right in Belchertown they must have a BB or pellet gun there.

11-Aug-17
We run 3 X Have a Heart traps during the summer to protect the garden. Chipmunks eat the heck out of the strawberry patch... I tried a sling shot, (less than 500ft figured that would be ok...) but well, I suck with it. So... the traps it is. A little bird seed on the trip pad and when I first start in the year, I get 2-3 a day, some times, I could get 5-6 if I release the little nasties at lunch and re-set my "trap line".

Technically this may be illegal. I tend to drive about 5 miles and release them on the far side of a major river and interstate. If they figure out how to get back, good for them...

11-Aug-17
drowning them is a good way to do it. Another thing we have done before is sticking a garden hose down one of their holes and turn it on. This will flush them out for some shot opportunities.

12-Aug-17
After having the little bastards dig into my basement and cause of havoc I resorted to a pump pellet gun with a scope. Last year I sent over 4 dozen to their maker. This year I'm up to 3 dozen....... Neighbors don't mind, they want them gone too! Good luck, Let's Go

15-Aug-17
I have a blow dart gun. Yes I said blow dart gun. Before you get all crazy, it is lethal as hell trust me. I have professional darts with tiny surgically sharp broad heads on them for small game up to coon size. I am accurate with it to about 40ft which is where it starts to lose its lethality anyway. It's surprisingly fast and really quiet. Takes a bit to get used to but its fun. Practice a lot and you can be really consistent. My gram had a woodchuck problem and I tested it out on some of those guys when I got pretty good with it. There were some about 6-8lbs honest to god. They didn't make it far with a double lung hit, and I even managed some heart shots. Did wound one on accident but I think he died underground. Anyway, if your in for a fun challenge try one of those or get you a fancy wrist rocket from tractor supply or something. Ball bearings are lethal as well.

16-Aug-17
the 5 gal bucket could no possibly work any better I have been doing it for years I average at least 3 a day. and its working when your not their. you will also get mice in the bucket so that's a win

07-Sep-17
BloodTrail,..

You were very correct,.. after trying the ladies request of the have a heart traps (they failed) she finally agreed to a mass killing based on the bucket method.

It worked,.. it also taught me a valuable lesson on myself,.. and even on the greater "Humanity".. I do not say this lightly either,..

While nearing a bucket to check it out,.. there was a chipmunk half drowned going under and struggling for a breath,... under it would go,. a last surge to gasp again. It was clear it was exhausted and or hypodermic. It hit my soul heavy and I tipped him out. He could not move and I left him disgusted at myself and the situation. But I left the bucket armed.

What did this teach me: Now pay attention here Bowmen I really mean this,... when I could not see it,.. I was capable of doing it. When faced with it,.. it revolted me. What does this remind me of? What should this remind all of us of?

Nazi Germany,.. the populace could put up with it when not faced with it,.. but when their nose was pushed into it,.. they cried for what they say...

I am not joking when I say I got left with a profound lesson in how this worked out. Are the traps still set,.. yes,.. and I do not want to see it.

There in lies a lesson for all of us.

07-Sep-17

BloodTrail,..

You were very correct,.. after trying the ladies request of the have a heart traps (they failed) she finally agreed to a mass killing based on the bucket method.

It worked,.. it also taught me a valuable lesson on myself,.. and even on the greater "Humanity".. I do not say this lightly either,..

While nearing a bucket to check it out,.. there was a chipmunk half drowned going under and struggling for a breath,... under it would go,. a last surge to gasp again. It was clear it was exhausted and or hypodermic. It hit my soul heavy and I tipped him out. He could not move and I left him disgusted at myself and the situation. But I left the bucket armed.

What did this teach me: Now pay attention here Bowmen I really mean this,... when I could not see it,.. I was capable of doing it. When faced with it,.. it revolted me. What does this remind me of? What should this remind all of us of?

Nazi Germany,.. the populace could put up with it when not faced with it,.. but when their nose was pushed into it,.. they could not stand what they saw... same happened to me on a tiny scale.

I am not joking when I say I got left with a profound lesson in how this worked out. Are the traps still set,.. yes,.. and I do not want to see it.

There in lies a lesson for all of us.

07-Sep-17
BB don't do it if it is against your ethics. I could never leg trap an animal just to have it freeze ,drown or starve. Same thing . A Snap trap is quick and done . Shooting quick and done , water torture is a sad way to kill anything . Effective but heartless.

I have beaten rats to death but would not drown one . shoot em or trap them .

07-Sep-17
As hunters we also love the outdoors and the animals we hunt. When we hunt we hunt to kill. A quick humane kill, I don't think any of us like to see an animal suffer more than is needed. We don't hunt for the need for food to survive. We hunt because we want to and I think that is the main difference

07-Sep-17

07-Sep-17
Just means you're a human with feelings for wild animals. Nothing wrong with that. No one is eating stone wall tigers. A slow death isn't what anyone wants for any animal, to witness it can be bothersome. Sometimes animal control seams heartless and can have you questioning your actions. We all agree a quick kill is easier to accept. You gotta do what you gotta do.

I actually have one that has been coming into my garage and eating the birdseed, I've almost gotten it to feed out of my hand. I'm going to leave the tigers alone for the rest of the year, unless it comes upstairs, then it's gonna get a pellet.

08-Sep-17
(c) Chipmunk, flying squirrel, porcupine, red squirrel, skunk, weasel, and woodchuck: the season opens on January 1 and continues until the following December 31, except that the season is CLOSED during the "shotgun" deer season.

w/ the 'have a heart' traps they recommend drowning the critters caught inside the trap, relocation is illegal. I don't see that method as being humane.

BB/pellet gun would be my method. Will, was gonna recommend a slingshot. I built one for that purpose but haven't used it except to shoot target. yeah the bucket method works but I have little ones and if they saw it I don't think I'd ever hear the end of it. rat snap traps w/ PB work but I only set them up in the garage not outside. Chipmunks ripped up my garden this year. I use some compost that I make and they were going after something in it. I got 3 carrots where I planted a whole row, twice! they also eat the tops off the green beans as soon as they sprout.

08-Sep-17

badjuju's Link

08-Sep-17
Question on the snap trap,.. a mouse trap will not work right?

I have seen larger ones what are they rat traps? is that what I should get?

Ya I am done with the buckets,.. effective but too cruel for me,..

08-Sep-17
the mouse traps may work, but the bigger rat traps do work. I think the smaller ones would injure more than kill.

08-Sep-17
Thier is no shame in humility.

08-Sep-17
Baited rat traps work quickly and humanely. I have put them near an entrance to one their tunnels under a 5 gallon bucket to keep them away from dogs, cats, kids etc.... Also have used them within fenced garden bed areas. BB gun works well too but you got to be there when they are there and then hit them squarely.

20-Sep-17

They have upped the anti ,.. damn things are fighting back now,.. WTF!

I tell ya it is like a war zone over at my place,.. even the cat is scared to go outside!!

20-Sep-17

mrw's embedded Photo
mrw's embedded Photo

• Sitka Gear