XbowfromNY 04-Dec-17
XbowfromNY 04-Dec-17
XbowfromNY 11-Dec-17
jman22 11-Dec-17
XbowfromNY 12-Dec-17
XbowfromNY 02-Jan-18
pogo 02-Jan-18
09-Aug-17
Got sick and tired of the xbow not getting full inclusion while getting trail cams pics each year in October of nice bucks. Bought an Accubow in the winter to work on draw strength (grade 3 shoulder separation in 2009, which is still fully separated). Ended up buying a Mathews HTX 28" 60lbs, but cranked down to 50lbs. At 60lbs I could feel the pinch in my shoulder. I shot several bows with several sights/rests, but the HTX felt the smoothest to me and that was the last one I shot and was tired/weaker at that point. Picked up the bow on 8/4. I got it in Lost Camo color, along with the following: HHA single pin sight with the dial on side for yardage change, Mathews Ultra Rest in lost camo, Camo bowsling, Beestinger 8" stabilizer, Tru Fire Release Camo that folds, Victory Gamer Rip 400 arrows, SlickTrick 100 Gr broadheads, Lumenoks, field points, kisser button, peep sight, and a cool bowstand so I don't have to make another hole in the wall to hang my bow. Putting in my practice and looking forward to 10/1. I hunt 80 acres in 3N that my parents own- not the greatest unit in NY, so anything close to or above 100" is a trophy for me. Last year with the xbow I shot a 15" wide broken up 4pointer that was the heaviest/biggest deer I ever shot. Got a few good ones on camera this year. Now that I can hunt Westchester, I snagged permission (hopefully) to a hunt spot in 3S (checking it out Saturday and finalizing permission). Anyway, although I'm a seasoned veteran hunter (killed mulies, antelope, mt. lion, lynx, bobcat, etc.), I'm pumped for my first compound season!

09-Aug-17
Best of luck to you, hope you get a nice one.

10-Aug-17
Thanks. Forgot to mention I only hunt from the ground, so it should be exciting. I have zero interest in hiding up in a treestand.

10-Aug-17
I use either 12 foot high ladder stands or ground blinds myself. Enough with the climbers or sticks for hang on's. Or just stalking.

11-Aug-17
Nice!

25-Sep-17

XbowfromNY's embedded Photo
Hoping to get a shot at this 8pt. I will try 10/1, 10/2, and maybe 10/3. These pics are on several different cams throughout 30 acres in 3N. Each cam spot has a ground blind or make shift burlap/sticks on the ground within 20-25yds. Just a question of where to sit.

25-Sep-17

25-Sep-17
Best of luck to you this season. You'll love carrying a compound, much easier than crossbow. Now here's where I want to say something. As an archery instructor, 2 months is not real long. I understand you love to hunt and are excited. Compound isn't like a crossbow in that actually much more can go wrong. There's more form involved that can affect flight or mis flight if you get what I'm saying. Try and keep your shots close as possible. Practice with all equipment, hat, gloves, etc. these can all change things. Any questions you can always ask. I know I'd offer help and there's tons of knowledgeable guys here. Welcome to a slightly different world and I hope you get em. Best of luck!!

25-Sep-17
xbow that's awesome!! And good luck. Bowguy x2 on the practicing advice.

25-Sep-17
Thanks, and yes I have practiced with clothes on and have even practiced from all my ground blind / makeshift ground spots with a designated practice broadhead. I feel very comfortable out to 30yds. All of my ground spots are the same as my xbow spots. Some spots I shoot sitting (armless swivel chair), other spots I will draw, stand, release.

25-Sep-17
30 yards is slightly far for most 2 month shooters bud. I recommend closer. Being comfortable and feeling the same when a deer a is standing at 30 is two way dif things. Also no scope to see vines and small twigs. No dis at all to you, I'm trying to help. Remember in today's day and age of cameras we can't afford a deer running around wearing an arrow. Also sure you're ethical enough to to only take what you feel are good shots but after a long time doing this for most, especially at 2 months, 30 is stretching it with a vertical bow. Best of luck!!

25-Sep-17
I respect your thoughts, but its not rocket science. The day I picked up my bow I was shooting great groups at 20yds. I shoot a single pin, and have it zeroed at 25yds. I will aim a tad high at 30 and a tad low inside of 20. I have ethically hunted my entire life (around the US and Cananda), and with an xbow since 2011 (in PA, CT, and NY). When I say 30yds, I am talking about a clear shot at an unalarmed deer. I'm sure by now I could be proficient at much longer distances, but I have only worked on 35yd and close since the spots I hunt are heavy cover and I don't need to be proficient at longer distances yet. I'll worry about that when I decide to go out west again.

25-Sep-17
I'm by no means disrespecting you or your obvious experience but you have 2 months with a compound is all I'm saying. It'd be best to shoot within an effective range in a hunting scenario which can vary from regular shooting cause of the variables. All I'm saying is to keep this in mind being it's a bit of different tool than a crossbow. Good luck

25-Sep-17
Right, I agree it will be tougher since I hunt from the ground and need to draw (as opposed to an xbow). But most of my practice has come from shooting out of my makeshift blinds or ground blind which I will hunt out of. I don't even shoot much in the backyard anymore since standing there at 25yds gets boring anyway. the first shot is what counts. Everytime I check my cams I bring a BH target and drop it at different random distances and then shoot from my hunting spot. I've actually kept a log in a notepad of every single shot I have taken and at what distances, etc. I can honestly say that all 166 shots were within 3" of the intended bullseye.

25-Sep-17
Very good. Hope you get em!!

25-Sep-17
Thanks!

26-Sep-17
Nope, not rocket science, but a discipline that requires acute attention and devotion. But (and you probably already know) if you... 1) are off you anchor 1/32" 2) apply slightly unusual grip 3) shoot not quite in the valley 4) miss-judge 21y for 32 5) shoot a fixed BH that is off-axis 6) get a little more/less flesh/string contact @ anchor 7) touch your jacket to your string on @ full draw 8) string-brush on your bow arm @ release 9) God forbid do more than one of the above, in unpredictable sequence or combination.. ...it gets ugly, miserable, and gangrenous for deer. Its just the difference between a trad, compound and an xbow. Best of luck to you my friend, I hope you do great.

27-Sep-17
Agree, bow shot. A lot more room for human error.

27-Sep-17
you have made the choice to enter into what is a life long addiction for many of us, Wish you good luck and a safe season...Tom

27-Sep-17
Thanks, Tom. I, too, am Tom.

27-Sep-17
You do realize that buck is not 100"s I hope?? Shawn

27-Sep-17

Not 100", but not a 1.5 either. A good buck for 3N in my opinion.

27-Sep-17

Here's the one I shot last year. 15" broken 4pt. Not a 1.5 either.

27-Sep-17
Agreed he may even be 3.5 year old. Shawn

28-Sep-17
Shawn - Which one are you referring to; the 8pt from trail cam pics or the 4pt. I shot w/ xbow?

28-Sep-17
Based on the body and mass at the start of the beams could be 3.5 IMO. Nice buck for my area too. Hope you get him.

28-Sep-17
Thanks Arrowone - I hope so too! lol

28-Sep-17
Actually both, the 8pt I would say is 3.5 for sure but I think the 4pt as you call him could be 3.5 as well. The rack means little I am going by body shape and size. Shawn

29-Sep-17
Tom, glad you finally picked up the compound.

Get out there this Sunday. Shoot any legal deer you want. Have fun doing it.

Or, hang it up until you shoot like an Olympic archer for fear of wounding a dink. ;)

29-Sep-17
Yea, I agree. Can't go by points.

29-Sep-17
Somers - I will probably hold out for a 6pt or better. I don't care about does (unless I saw a piebald one or something). Are you on the huntingny.com forum?

29-Sep-17
No, I rarely check it out, tho I recall your handle there from another fishing site. Good luck this season.

29-Sep-17
Thanks, you too.

04-Oct-17

Update from the last few days. I had taken off Monday and Tuesday from work in hopes of catching one of my target bucks eating acorns. Sun. 10/1 - I hunted 3N dark to dark, didn't see any deer, but trail pics had 2 of my target bucks fighting the sunday before and also moving a few days after that. But nothing since Tuesday. Mon. 10/2 - I hunted 3S in the morning and passed up a 3pt. at 20yds. Then hunted 3N spot in the afternoon and kicked up 1 deer walking in, but couldn't tell buck or doe and then saw nothing rest of evening. Tues. 10/3, only hunted the afternoon so tried 3S and saw 3 does, no bucks. Back to work today.

04-Oct-17

04-Oct-17

04-Oct-17

04-Oct-17

10-Oct-17

Only got out once this past weekend. Hunted Sunday (10/8) 3pm - dark in 3N. Had a doe and 2 fawns come in around 520 and feed on acorns near me (20-55yds) for a full hours before leaving. No bucks showed. I tried a soft grunt a few times and they does looked but never spooked and no bucks came in. I took videos and the pic on my iphone when the doe/fawns were 22yds away.

16-Oct-17
Hunted Saturday morning (10/14) in 3S from dark - 9am in the rain. No deer seen. Hunted Sunday afternoon (10/15) in 3N from 3pm - dark in the heat. No deer seen. Was thinking on the train ride into work and kind of kicking myself regarding the land in 3N. Thinking back now, I'm really thinking I should have tried sitting somewhere watching a fresh rub line that I noticed in early October. At least 6 rubs within 30 yds of each between 2 main trails. I kept sitting in the acorn flat blind because of the pics from end of September of 2 shooters, but clearly all of those rubs means at least 1 buck walks that line frequently. I should have sat 20-30yds off that line and hope to catch one walking by. Oh well.

16-Oct-17
Good journal Tom. Regarding the rubline, do you have a cam in that area? Are you getting any daylight pics of the bucks or is it all sign being left at night? If it's night sign, try following those trails leading up to rubs backwards. Chances are this will put you closer to bedding and maybe give you a better chance at a daylight encounter.

16-Oct-17
No on the line, but below and above it i do.The land I hunt in 3N is sloping. I have cams up top and below. I'm fairly confident that the rubs are from either the 8pt or 7pt I have had daylight pics of all summer and all through the end up September. Unfortunately, I have not had pics of either buck since 9/26. Cams don't tell the full story, as every single time I have a seen deer while hunting out of a ground blind on acorn flat, they have never walked in front of the cam that is 30yds from my blind. They come from all different directions, so even when cams don't show much it doesn't mean they aren't there. Nearly all of my pics on this land are during daylight hours as shown above throughout this thread.

24-Oct-17
Didn't hunt this weekend in 75 degree temps. But I took off work Friday, Monday, Tuesday so hoping to make something happen with upcoming 5 day weekend.

27-Oct-17

vvreddy's embedded Photo
vvreddy's embedded Photo
There are some good ones. Pic from a few years ago

01-Nov-17

Friday (10/27): 10/27- Hunted morning till 10:15am in 3S spot, since I wanted to save 3N spot for afternoon only. Seen a yote at 7:15am 40yds away trotting even farther away so couldn’t get shot. Tried bleat call to get it to come back, but no luck. Then just after 8am saw 3 does (or 1 doe and 2 fawns) around 90yds away. No bucks seen but 2 fresh scrapes less than 20yds from my spot and a buck came thru this morning a few hours before me. Cam also had a fox, turkeys, and the same or different buck, as well as does and coons.

01-Nov-17

10/27 (Cont.) Now in 3N: Took my time 1hr and 20min to make 1/2 mile walk in hopes of catching one bedded. At 1:50pm, a doe stood up at 20yds too bad it wasn’t a buck. Checked cams Got a middday pic on 10/17 of the big 7 or 8pt. Cams didn’t have much else other than the 5pt and a spike checking my piss in a mock scrape. Sat till dark in my ground blind and saw 1 buck (actually a 3pt instead of spike). He was under 20yds for 10 full minutes and was sniffing my pee in the mock scrape. took a bunch of video. He was under 7yds for a while and would jump scared every once in a while. He just walked off slowly. No bigger bucks came thru unfortunately. Idk how to upload video so this is a snapshot.

01-Nov-17

01-Nov-17
10/28: morning hunt in 3S. Dark - 830am. Needed to run errands before afternoon hunt in 3N. At 730am A little coyote (must be first year) came in from behind me to my right. I thought it was a fox at first but definitely a young pup yote. It was trotting but I stopped it with a quick bark then walked to my right like 10 feet and took a quick shot. I was 99% sure I Just missed low. I thought about 40-45yds and I ranged after the fact and it was 44 yards. I’ve never shot that far so I probably needed to aim way higher. I saw my nocturnal glowing. Before I left, I grabbed it and found no blood as expected. It busted through 2 sticks so I junked the arrow and BH. Did find another fresh scrape, so now there were 3 under 20yds.

01-Nov-17

10/28 cont: Went back to 3N spot in the afternoon. Kicked up a bedded doe at 20yds, too bad it wasn’t a buck. Got into my blind around 3pm. Didn’t see anything by 530 so I blew the bleat and again at 540, soon after 1 deer comes in I get ready and it’s a buck. Unfortunately it’s the same one as last night. Same 3pt, same spot. I took a bunch of videos since he was under 10yds again. Here’s 1 screenshot. I stayed well after dark since I didn’t want to spook him. Finally he walked away.

Sunday (10/29) was a washout with 1-2” of rain.

01-Nov-17
10/30: Only Hunted 3pm - dark in 3S. Very strong winds, saw nothing until 5:30pm when I saw 5 turkeys (1 Tom and 4 hens) walking by at around 60yds in front of me. They went over a little hill and I thought about making a stalk on them but didn’t want to risk ruining a possible buck coming. Less than 10min later I caught movement to my right and spotted 2 does at around 80yds. No bucks seen.

01-Nov-17

Yesterday (10/31): Only hunted 3pm - dark in 3S. Still very windy. Found 2 fresh scrapes 14yds below me straight out. They weren’t here the day before. Only 10yds from cam but no unfortunately no pics. I won’t be hunting again till Saturday (xbow opener for 3N).

06-Nov-17

Saturday (11/4) --- My Dad hunted his first day this year with xbow for opener. Dark - Dark on his property in 3N. He saw nothing in the morning from his spot. I opted for 3S for the morning with the compound. I saw a doe and 2 fawns from 807-823am. All 3 were under 20yds for a while. No buck behind them.Took video but don’t know how to post so here’s a snapshot of 1 of them. In the afternoon I met my dad in 3N, checked the cam at my spot and a small buck went through at 820am but my dad was sitting at his spot. I saw nothing in the afternoon. My dad saw a doe and 2 fawns at 530pm, no buck chasing behind.

06-Nov-17
Sunday (11/5): Dad and I hunted 3N. He went dark - dark and saw 2 deer in the morning (1 doe and 1 unidentifiable), then saw and passed up a nice red fox at 330pm. I hunted dark - 10am and 3-dark and saw no deer, only 3 raccoons in the morning. I was supposed to be off work today, but due to rain switched to Thursday. So I’ll be back at it Thursday & Friday. Hopefully see some bucks chasing by then!!

06-Nov-17
Good reading journal.

It seems some of our experiences are pretty close.

Keep it coming znd tag a good one!

07-Nov-17
Thanks, Pogo. Yea I would like to hold out for a 2.5 y/o or better.

08-Nov-17

11/8: While I was at work, my Dad hunted the morning in 3N on our land from my ground blind in acorn flat. He texted me early this morning and said at 7:05am a broken 1/2 rack spike came down from the rocks behind him and walked in front of trail cam and past his blind at 10 yards. He passed him up and we both believe it is the same 3pt I have been seeing in person and on trail cam pics recently. This is the 2nd year in a row that a buck in this spot broke its rack off in early November. (My big 4pt. last year broke rack off around the same time). . . Then at 8:05am my Dad shot a big 4pt. It was a 25yd. shot and he shot him through the base of the neck and the buck dropped right there. We have ZERO pics of this buck from the summer and fall, so he definitely is new to the area. This is rare for us since we normally just see the bucks that we gets pics of during summer/fall. That said, there is still a big 5,7, and 8 out there for me. My Dad is done now until gun season, but I will be out there tomorrow and Friday- although I will probably hunt 3S (Westchester) with compound tomorrow morning. My Dad has a lot of work ahead of him today since my blind is just over 1/2 mile downhill from the car, so it's all uphill drag on the way out. . . This is back to back years with a 2.5 y/o 4pt killed from my ground blind in acorn flat with an xbow, since I killed one last year on 11/5/16. Below are only 2 pics I have from my dad texting me via flip phone. I'll get better pics from him in person tomorrow.

08-Nov-17
Congratulations to your Dad! Nice buck. It's slow up here in 8H. I'm doing an all day hunt and just moved from one stand to another after the wind changed.

08-Nov-17
Nice. Good luck to you! I'll be out there tomorrow & Friday.

13-Nov-17

11/9: plan was to hunt 3S with compound in the morning and 3N with xbow in the afternoon. At 8am, I had a 10min showdown with nice 8 pointer. A buck I? never had pics of. 50yds so too far to shoot. Trying everything to call it closer. He just wouldn’t come any closer. So close. He never spooked just headed in opposite direction. Around 10am I checked my trail cam, which I? had moved in hopes of catching whatever buck kept making scrapes. On Saturday the 4th after a morning hunt I? moved the cam, freshened the scrape and pissed in it. The buck I? saw this morning came that night, and then again 2 nights later. He actually laid in it for over 30min. With that info I decided to hunt the afternoon here as well, but saw nothing. I? will give this buck 1 more try tomorrow morning before heading to 3N with xbow. This buck even with the small brows would be my best overall buck, so to get him from the ground with my Mathews would a real accomplishment for me.

13-Nov-17
11/10: Brutal wind all day. Saw 0 deer. Hunted 3S in the morning and 3N in the afternoon.

13-Nov-17
11/11: could only hunt till 830am. Heard a doe bleating around 620am and again later on. Never saw it. Kicked up a doe and 2 fawns on the way out.

13-Nov-17

11/12: went back to 3S with compound this afternoon. 245pm-dark hoping to catch that 8pt. Saw 0 deer. My cam over the scrape that I pissed in again on Friday when I? left showed Does came to scrape at 8am and then just before 4pm yesterday. Then a buck came at 11pm. It is not the 8pt, but a different buck. Can’t tell if it’s a 7 or5, but looks wide. A shooter for me.

13-Nov-17

I'm working all week, so next up is the Saturday Gun season opener in 3N. But I will still give the 3S spot a chance with my compound a few more times in November I hope. On a side note, here’s a pic of my Dad and his buck. 15 1/2” Outside spread.

20-Nov-17
Hunted only Saturday morning with shotgun, seen a doe. Hope to get back out there with compound in 3S (Westchester) on Friday or next weekend.

27-Nov-17

11/23 in 3N: I was shotgun hunting- 0 shots heard. At 8am I Blind bleat called in small buck. Thought it was fawn but then used binocs n saw it was spike or 3pt at best. 70yds. Then he started running in circles like a maniac. I quit at 1030. Checked a cam and my number 1 target buck (big 7pt.) was still alive as of 11/12

27-Nov-17

11/24 (morning):I hunted 3S with bow for first time in 2 weeks. Saw nothing, so checked cam at 10am. Can’t believe I’m giving up gun hunting on parents land, but just think this is a better chance at a nice one even though it’s much harder with bow. Haven’t been here in 2 weeks but They keep coming to the scrape on ground that I made and pissed in. But they come at night (except for spike who I wouldn’t shoot). Hoping 1 slips up this afternoon for me. AFTERNOON: 315pm - 345pm: watched 5 deer (2 does/3 fawns). They all came to the scrape, but no bucks in tow.

27-Nov-17

11/25: I didn’t hunt, but my Dad shot a nice 6pt in 3N a few min before 8am this morning. I had been telling him to sit below the acorn blind on the next ridge with shotgun so he can see more and shoot farther. This morning he did. He shot the buck quartering away at 60yds straight downhill. Dropped in his tracks. I won't post pic since its a gun kill. Anyway, I came and helped him get the buck out and checked cam to see one of our top shooters still alive yesterday afternoon while I was hunting with bow in 3S. Oh well. My dad is done with 2 bucks for the year, so maybe I’ll get a crack at this guy.

27-Nov-17

11/26: Dad is done for the year with 2 bucks killed already. I hunted 2pm - dark in 3N w/ shotgun and saw nothing. But my top target buck is still alive and walked by this morning. 2 days after the afternoon pic I got. I’m always 1 step behind this guy. Unfortunately I can’t hunt again till Saturday (12/2) so I’ll either go there or back to 3S with bow.

04-Dec-17

12/2: got up at 5:25am with plans to hunt 3S with bow but bailed. Just didn’t have it in me. Went with gun in afternoon to 3N to the upper part of my property. My top target buck still alive as of 5 days ago. Was hoping he came through, but he didn't and I saw nothing.

04-Dec-17

12/3: Hunted again in 3N till 1030am and saw nothing. Been after this 8pt since July lol. Since I can’t catch up with him on upper part of property, I sat this morning 55yds from lower property Cam. He came thru Friday mid morning while I was at work of course lol. Time 1 Hour off so really 925am. I fixed clock. Then on way out I checked upper cam where I sat last night. And the 8pt came to where I sat last night to sniff the estrous scent I sprayed. Of course after I was gone! 6.5hrs too late. A lone doe at 11pm and the 8pt at 1102pm.

04-Dec-17
Back to work for the week. At this point, I think I’ll just come back here next weekend and not even bother with 3S with bow even there are nice ones there too. To get this buck after watching him for 6 months would mean a lot to me.

11-Dec-17
Wild weekend with shotgun in 3N, finally saw the 8pt at 20yds but couldn't get shot. Since It's now bowhunting, I won't elaborate. I'm done for the year, unless I get out with bow in 3S Xmas weekend.

11-Dec-17
Enjoyed following along. You had some very good encounters. Bet you are looking forward to next season already!

12-Dec-17
For sure, jman. It was the second year for my Dad's property and already we are seeing better bucks than year 1. Hoping the bucks we didn't kill will make it through this week and be bigger next year!

02-Jan-18
Got out there 1 last time with bow. 12/30: I hunted 3pm - dark in 3S with bow and saw nothing. Onto 2018 and some yote/Fox/bobcat hunting

02-Jan-18
xbowfromNY....... thanks for taking us on this journey. It was fun!

Good luck in 2018

• Sitka Gear