MF 02-Nov-17
Reggiezpop 02-Nov-17
Novice 02-Nov-17
upnorth 06-Nov-17
Kevin @ Wisconsin 06-Nov-17
Drop Tine 06-Nov-17
Novice 06-Nov-17
10-Aug-17
Has anyone ever used the Ozonics unit on stand, or the Scent Crusher bag prior to hunting? The idea of ozone being used to eliminate scent seems far out there, its not like we can smell if it is working or not. I do like the idea of extra scent control, but that's a lot of $$$ to spend when I have no experience with it.

10-Aug-17
Save your money and play the wind and thermals. That's the real part of the game.

10-Aug-17
I have one, you can smell it. I purchased it two years ago to hunt the bottoms on my farm where the air currents are very fickle. Hunting out of stands I just hung right then.

Saw no difference in number of animals observed and have not used it since.

10-Aug-17
I have seen a big difference in the amount of deer that come in downwind. I still hunt by playing the wind and thermals but I have seen the results. I was sceptical but won't hunt without it now. I have the 300 unit. I also bought a bigger battery and take both batteries in on all day sits. I believe it helped me harvest the 10 pointer I shot at 11:15 am on November 13th last year. He and the doe he was with crossed above me and got downwind. They were here for three hours before she came back and I got a 25 yard shot. Last year was my first year with one and not one time did I have a deer blow while on stand. We have deer every night down wind so I can't hunt without risking deer down wind. It is nice having lots of deer but also can cause issues as they can be anywhere. Again I wasn't a believer but I'm a big fan of Midwest Whitetails and after comments on that show I saved up to buy what was suggested. I haven't regretted that purchase.

10-Aug-17
I see that you can now get a version that fits in the back pack...... I would not disclaim, anything, if I was a tree stand sitter, or hub blind sitter, might try it.... But I would not dismiss it.........

During the rut, I hunt from the ground, with a mobile decoy system, that my friends laughed at, till they saw the results..........

I know a guy who bought a ozone machine, to remove odors from clothes and equipment..... I know a guy, that uses Scent Lok and believes in it,,,, however he would only buy it, unopened, and sealed, never from a store, where it has been open and exposed,,,, he gets new ones every 4 years, but his results are good, so we all believe in something.

10-Aug-17
Obviously hunting the wind is the way to go. But Ozone works great for "cleaning" up your clothing and gear before and after hunts. No you can't beat their nose. But you can buy yourself a few extra seconds sometimes. That may be all you need to make the shot. I also notice far fewer deer picking up my ground scent when I put all my outer layers in the ozone tote after/before each hunt.

11-Aug-17

Konk1's Link
I use a WhitailR unit in a small closet under my basement steps. I hang my hunting garments in there after each hunt for a day or two then store in a scent free dufflebag with earth scent waffers. Works for me.

11-Aug-17
i have sold around 17 of them over the years and have only had one guy that thoughtit didn't work . I use mine all the time and for me its seem to make a big difference . But it has to be used the way it was designed . i constantly move mine as the wind changes other wise for get it . Over the years i have heard a lot of people preach that they don't work and usually its because there to cheap to spend the 500 dollars or they have a opinion but have never used one .

12-Aug-17
When using mine i usually hang two threads with shredded ends one to the left of me and one to the right to see which way the wind is blowing and sometime a wind puffer . Have the unit set so that i can reach straight up and adjust it . Had one time i got busted when i was using only one string and found that the wind was deflecting around the tree and not blowing the way i thought , made a adjustment to it and later had a deer come in the same way the first one busted me .

12-Aug-17

Drop Tine's Link
I don't use them but thought I would pass the sale at Cabelas along for anyone looking.

12-Aug-17
That,t thee older unit .,I quite selling them because the unit cost me 287 plus freight and i had to buy 4 at a time and i was a dealer . I could buy them for less on line and only had to buy one .

12-Aug-17
Have a prototype unit from someones failed company that we've had for 6 years, it's meant to use in a box of cloths, we use it with a hefty trash bag. Makes the nastiest socks smell like they've never been worn, so if your like me and spend 5-6 days a time in a cabin with no running water, no way to wash the cloths you hunt in its awesome. We believe in it, those extra seconds have scored us 3 bucks in the last 6 years coming in down wind because are cloths were "clean". The only guy to not shoot a nice buck in that time finally switched over last year, he's starting to believe too.

14-Aug-17
Very helpful responses everyone. I believe I will try using an ozone control system for my clothes in a bag or tote as I usually am unable to wash clothes often as well. I agree that playing the wind is definitely still the most important aspect, but as others stated, deer never fail to come from places that are unexpected, so having a little extra scent control cant hurt anything. Thanks guys!

14-Aug-17
This may be off topic, but another product I use, is called carbon synergy,,,, its a powder, that I mix with water,,,,, I tested it, on some traps, to make them really scent free, and was pleased with results....... I like the product, because sometimes I go out for a 2 day hunt, a bivy hunt in the UP,,,,, I can add some powder, to the water, to spray one clothes and such............ I believe in it,,,,,,, I also believe in synthetic lures, and am going to be testing out a product this year, I was given, during the rut......

Two guys I know swear by the ozone control system, and I also think it is a good system,,,,,

14-Aug-17
I also have a whitetailr purge 2 i use for cloths and to remove scent in my truck . we sell ice cream in my front store two years ago i was standing by the freezer which my wife had shut down for the winter . She cleaned it etc . While standing there i could smell something i opened it and there was a blob of ice cream under the bottom grate that she missed . Could hardy breath it smelled so bad . I took the unit and put it in the freezer and let it run for 2 days . When i opened the freezer you could hardly smell anything made cleanup a breeze . For a under 50 dollar item it works pretty good

14-Aug-17
Upnorth are you in Iron County,,,,,,,???? I was in your shop, when you talked about ice cream,,,,, its a nice archery shop, enjoyed myself there was about 3 years ago

14-Aug-17
Ahhhh ... the famous ice cream incident :D

14-Aug-17
I believe in it. Borrowed one for a friend to bear hunt in 2015 with my wife. Sat 4 days without ozoinics no bear. Went back the next weekend with oozonics bear came directly downwind straight in to a can of bear bomb. I believe you still should play the wind as best you can. My theory is it gives you a chance on the downwind animals. Yes it does have an odor however, that odor dissipates a few yards away from the tree. Still the worst smell in the woods is human.

14-Aug-17
Springsteadtradingpost.com

14-Aug-17
upnorth, that's where I was at,,, you have a great shop,,,, going to be muskie fishing over there the 3rd week of October, and helping out an outfitter in Ashland Co and I will stop by and reintroduce myself......

any one one this site, this guy has a great shop ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

16-Aug-17
"This may be off topic, but another product I use, is called carbon synergy,,,, its a powder, that I mix with water," razor have you tested that stuff on your camo? FYI it will turn your camo a darker color.

06-Sep-17

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
I picked up a small ozone generator on Amazon for ~$50. Tubed it into a tote and I'm doing a test "clean". I will probably use a more sturdy tote, but wanted to give it a shout.

06-Sep-17
I like carbon synergy, and its good on the traps,,,,,, I have been using it for a 2 years now

06-Sep-17
Upnorth you should start a Facebook page for your business. Free exposure is a good thing.

07-Sep-17
for our upcoming bear hunt our guys are using them w/ portable "closets" on their clothes. Should work great

07-Sep-17
We have a facebook page Springstead Trading Post . There's also a video on youtube ( springstead trading post archery range ) done by one of my customers .

07-Sep-17
Oh, I hit the Facebook icon at the bottom of your website and it took me to build a website page.

07-Sep-17
I use an Ozonics and believe it helps.

07-Sep-17
About 5 years ago I was given 3 of them by the company to try out on bears....they do help under certain conditions.

16-Sep-17
"The idea of ozone being used to eliminate scent seems far out there..."

My bowyer introduced me to ozone generating machines for residential air purification long before ozonics units became available. In addition to ozone these residential units produced ions. My bowyer was interested in the ions. He wanted something that would clear out all the dust particles floating around his shop that he was inhaling. Ions produced by the machine solved that problem for him by putting an electrical charge on the particles, the particles acted like a magnet and attached to other charged particles, the particles got larger and larger and gravity took over and down and out of the air the dust particles went. When you look in the sun rays in your house and see all those dust particles, they would be cleared out of your breathing space with the residential machine. Indoor air lacks some ions. I don't remember if they were positive or negative. Then I read a book called "the Ion Effect" by Fred Soyka which showed the revolutionary discoveries that electrically charged particles in the air may control your moods, health, and sense of well being. Made sense to me.

My bowyer showed me how the ozone worked in this residential air purification machine. He took an onion, cut it in half and wiped it across the top of his hand, then he held it up to me and had me smell it. It was onion for sure. Then he held his hand in front of the machine for 90 seconds to let the ozone do it's work and then let me smell it again. Onion smell gone completely.

He did another demo with another substance, vinegar - I think. Same result - odor gone. Yes, ozone works. Ozone is nature's way of cleaning the air. It is in the air we breath. Higher concentrations are produced during a lighten storm. Ozone has an odor. Ozone (03) is very unstable. When 03 collides with another molecule, one molecule of the (03) breaks away and oxides, burns up, what it ran into and your left with cleaner air and O2.

I've often thought of getting an ozonics unit but I'm doing ok without one and I hate lugging stuff around the woods but the ozonics unit is probably worth lugging around. There are a lot of people on you tube that swear by them and I can understand why. My biggest concern is not if the ozone works but how much noise does it make. I know I could hear the fan running in the residential units and my ears are much worse than deer's ears.

I ended up getting involved with those residential air purification machines and have never regretted it.

20-Sep-17

Drop Tine's Link
I don't know anything about this unit. But I thought I would toss this out there if someone would want to try it and report back on it.

Far cheaper than those scent crusher systems.

20-Sep-17
Someone asked me a few years ago to get involved woth ozone " stuff " . I said no thanks , the group I run with is too smart .

21-Sep-17
I have been using Scent Crusher bags for the past two seasons and have seen great results. The only issue is that it will eat elastic up so I try to use short cycles as much as possible. Its still worth it.

02-Nov-17
Bringing this back up. I have deer in one spot that come in from three different directions and I got bagged last night. ( my favorite expression from Ruger) thinking of getting a unit for my cloths and either a portable closet or a tote. How is the Ozone working out for you guys?

02-Nov-17
I am a true believer of Ozonics. I set up one of my ground blinds in the garage and hang my cloths in there with the Ozonics machine. It helps in the stay scent free ritual.

02-Nov-17
I tubed in a small ozone machine to a Rubbermaid tote. Portable and cheap. Main problem is air circulation. It would work well with 2 articles of clothing but no more. Clothes on top smell "fresh". Stuff on the bottom smells like me. Back to the drawing board.

02-Nov-17
Camp 2 Dukes what exact unit do you use? I'm curious and if I would get one, I'm thinking it would be a clothing one vs the one you take to the stand (got enough stuff to carry and hang in the tree already.)

06-Nov-17
In a blind its suppose to be set to blow out a window down wind and on the low setting if it has one . When in a tree i hang two lite strings about 1 1/2 foot long ( plus a puffer some times ) to my left and right to watch the wind and then I have the unit so I can move it as the wind changes . I hang two now because i got busted once and found out the tree was deflecting the wind and I had the unit facing the wrong way .

06-Nov-17

Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
Kevin @ Wisconsin's embedded Photo
I've been thinking about buying an ozone machine to treat my hunting clothes for a while now.

I keep going back and forth over which unit to buy. The units made for hunting don't look that sturdy / well made. I think I might purchase the unit in the picture. The cost is just a little bit more than the hunting specific models but this unit looks like it's quality made and puts out a lot of ozone.

06-Nov-17

Drop Tine's embedded Photo
Drop Tine's embedded Photo
For treating clothes how long do you run the units? Thinking of getting a portable closet and a ozone unit. Thinking that cloths in a tote can't be fully exposed to the ozone being folded or bunched up. Something like this is what I'm looking at.

06-Nov-17
C2D that looks more like what I might be interested in. Curious if putting in a tote or whatever container, how do plug it in? I'm assuming you just pinch the power cord between container and lid? I also like DT's closet, but again wonder the same thing about plugging in.

• Sitka Gear