Stew 10-Sep-17
hvac tech 10-Sep-17
HARRY CARRY 10-Sep-17
hawkeye in PA 11-Sep-17
11-Aug-17

HARRY CARRY's embedded Photo
Low key, but fun-filled!

How’s that for our description of the upcoming September 9-10, 2017, “Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers” 2-Day shoot?!!

Yes, The Crew has a pretty full set-up planned, and it looks like there will be all-kinds of Archery shooting possibilities, for EVERY type of Traditional Archer, young or seasoned, experienced or new-shooter!

A hillside’s worth of 3D targets for our regular marked course; our unmarked Hunter course (where only the two people setting up the course know how many targets there’ll be!); a “Hoot ‘N Holler” course; and introducing a “block target” course SPECIFICALLY FOR BLUNT-TIPPED ARROWS (no field points or broadheads…bring some blunts!!!!).

Plus, a long-distance “50/50” target to test you. The “Fred Bear Challenge” held Saturday evening inside the club, with competitions for ages 16 and younger, then for ages 17 and older. The “Eagle Eye Competition”, with ongoing qualifying on Saturday and Sunday and the shoot-off at 1 PM Sunday.

And the kitchen will be active, too, with Breakfast and Lunch both Saturday and Sunday, and the Traditional Spaghetti Dinner around 5 PM Saturday (before the “Fred Bear Challenge”)…..all reasonably priced and satisfying.

Plus, there’s a limited amount of primitive camping space for folks who wish to arrive Friday and camp until Sunday, in the parking area edges, and under a few building structures if needed. There’s a shower room, and restrooms that will be open. And enough dead/scrap wood around the hillside for those welcomed campfires.

“Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers” knows we aren’t Denton Hill, or Baltimore, or even a few other more regional events. But, we’re not really trying to be. We’re “Strictly Sticks”, a unique little happening tucked away in Alverton, Pennsylvania. Laid-back, low-key, fun-filled. And all depending on if YOU decide to visit us!

This year, we’ll be trying a few “Announcement Schedule Boards” for folks to see at-a-glance the whats and whens things will be happening, to “tweak-up” the original flyer that’s been posted online and found at various local Archery venues. And, we’ll trying out a few other events, if all things (including the weather) are co-operative. You may even find yourself shooting from clubhouse property you’ve not been on before!

So, what’s it cost, you ask? How’s this sound: Ages 17-older, $10 per day or $15 all weekend; Ages 12-16, $5 entire weekend; Ages 11-under, FREE all weekend!

As noted above and on the flyer, “Sticks” has an inside air-conditioned building, restrooms and a shower room, and enough chairs both inside and outside to just sit-down and “take it all in”. The beverage coolers will be stocked with water or soda and will be available throughout the day.

Does this sound like YOUR kind of Archery 2-day weekend? If so, then we humbly invite you to stop over with your bow, arrows, family and friends, and make it what YOU want the weekend to be!! Once you are here, it’s all up to you!!

The Crew will be awaiting, and welcoming!!

11-Aug-17

11-Aug-17
Questions or comments? Ask them on this thread, or on our Facebook page, "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers" !

11-Aug-17
How many hours? Lol

11-Aug-17
Wow, a blast from the past, Hawkeye! Let's see: 9 PM tonight til 8 AM Sept. 9: 683 hours. Add 5 minutes. It's not quite 9 PM yet.

12-Aug-17
This is really good news! I'm glad the shoot is a GO!

16-Aug-17
The Mountain Men are beginning to make preparations. Should be a decent representation.

Hey, off topic but this is great.. I heard it at work today. Say "Irish Wristwatch" three times really fast. LOL

17-Aug-17
Red, my vocal chords don't work too well, you'll have to demonstrate! And on a side note, STRICTLY STICKS IS PREPARED FOR THE ARRIVAL OF THE MOUNTAIN MEN!!!!

Bring it on.

18-Aug-17
UPDATE!

The sportsmens club obtained a "whole bunch" of "NEW TO US" targets, from an event held at Seven Springs this past weekend. SOOOOOOO, "Sticks" attendees will be seeing some new "faces" out on the course. (OR YOU WON'T BE, DEPENDING ON HOW WELL SOME OF THOSE REALISTIC SHOT PLACEMENTS ARE!!!!! Heheheheh)!!!

ALSO: for those who knew "Saint" George Porterfield, one of the early "Sticks" founders, well, a few years before George's passing, he gave "Sticks" a contraption...totally homebrewed...that chucks aerial disks into the air, for "flu flu" shooting. A couple of the mechanically minded daredevils from The Crew fired George's creation up last night at the club, and good golly Miss Molly, we have a new toy!!!!! A little bit of tweaking, a few welds here and there, a handful of new Bungees, and actual UL-approved wiring will have the contraption, which we think we will now call "Saint George's Guillotine" (or something similar), up and ready for some fun at the 2-Day shoot.

So, BRING FLU-FLU arrows!! Bring BLUNT TIP arrows. Bring field and target tip arrows. Keep the broadheads at home....at least for a few more years!!

Oh, you ask: what will "Sticks" be doing with some of the old 3D targets and target pieces? We will either be selling them, or auctioning them, or both...at the 2-Day shoot !!! Might be the time to get some pieces to create your own "post apocalypse" 3D critter, for your own personal shooting enjoyment!!!

That's the latest! Stay tuned.....

22-Aug-17
Blunt tip arrows? You having a stuffed critter course?

The Mt Man attendee list just keeps growing. May be a testosterone overload the likes of which has not been seen at East Huntington since Little John took a mini shower in the woods behind camp!

Gird your loins boys, it's gonna get wild!

23-Aug-17
There will be a "block" course, set up using small dense foam targets cut from 6' x '6 x 3.5" sheets. The "blocks" are actually shaped (by Scott "Banjo) in small animal shapes. They'll be set upon something, where you try to knock them off their bases.

As for Stuffed Critters: a few may be thrown into the mix of the other courses. There were a couple bags of stuffies at the club, but....some club members got to cleaning after a ceiling issue/event, and they were removed. Iffn we can scarf up some worthy/large stuffed critters, we'll see what we can do.

02-Sep-17
Just a bump up. Next weekend is the event. Folks who wish to camp over may arrive Friday....

06-Sep-17
All of our collective fingers and toes are crossed for some decent weather.... IRMA, STAY AWAY!!

Just a note or two:

Bring BLUNT TIPPED ARROWS, and maybe a few FLU-FLUs. We're using a new kind of target material on one of the courses. And the Flu-Flus will be for "Saint George's Guillotine", which if it co-operates, we'll have up and running. (We really miss Saint George....)

Also, one of the courses may be a bit more realistic as far as traversing. We used 2 quads last evening to literally run down a course. Totally workable, no evil hills, but it won't quite be the greens of a USGA golf course! REALISTIC HUNTING SCENARIOS AS ONLY "STRICTLY STICKS" COULD CREATE!!

Always different: that's "Strictly Sticks"!

07-Sep-17
I'll see ya Saturday!

08-Sep-17
Be forewarned! There is no singing at the Mountain Man Fire!

There's only been one exception to our rule. One epic campfire at Warriors Mark many years ago.................... Charlie Daniels' "Uneasy Rider".............

"You may not know it but this man is a spy. He's a undercover agent for the FBI And he's been sent down here to infiltrate the Ku Klux Klan!"

So let it be written, so let it be done.

08-Sep-17
Im planning on being there around 5 tonight. There will be singing at my camp. No girding of anything and my loins came from a doe and are mating with over easy eggs a few sheepsheads and some chicken of the woods. EEEE IIIIII EEEEE IIIII OOOOOOOOHHHH:)

08-Sep-17
Sounds like it will be healthier/safer on the nuclear creek side ;).

08-Sep-17
Looks like beer and egg farts in the morning:)

08-Sep-17
So it looks like there will be choices.

Dales campfire will offer Kum Ba Ya, meditation, S'mores, and something involving a sheep.

Mt Man campfire will have tall tales, Mr Perfects impressions, uncontrollable laughter, and cooking meat on a stick.

Dang Yuppies don't have a clue!

08-Sep-17
From the sounds of it.....................................................I'm really glad I will be on the OTHER side of the state! ;-)

10-Sep-17
We are too rut butt.... I'm heading over in 10 minutes, Gonna be an awesome cooler day. It's 47 now, will be about 55 when we head out to shoot.

10-Sep-17
Shot 60 targets today. Very nice courses, weather was perfect. Thanks SS crew for another fine shoot, as usual. Last I seen, there was 107 shooters. Even seen Red Beastmaster and Mr. PERFECT.

10-Sep-17
Awesome weekend! The cooler weather was welcome and made you actually want to shoot. The courses were great and the Rhineharts were a nice addition.

Last nights campfire was perfect. HC said he liked the no music policy! Lots of laughs as we raised our hot dogs with a toast! It was just like the old days at Sticks. Very good time was had by all.

Thanks to the crew!

10-Sep-17
Great weekend shoot! Really enjoyed the Block course ,had to do it twice.

10-Sep-17
Well i do not know who R C is talking about but i enjoyed my self a lot nice shoot great food and good weather

10-Sep-17
Let it be said that at any future "Mountain Man" campfire, I shall NOT bring a guitar. BUT NO ONE TOLD ME ABOUT THE 'MR. PERFECT' IMPRESSIONS. Hmmm....get to the fire late, my bad! (Guitars and banjos will be heard elsewhere at "Sticks" shoots, just not at CERTAIN CAMPFIRES. If we do bring them to CERTAIN CAMPFIRES, we'll be the ones "taking a trip out to L.A. , tootin along in our Chevrolets...."

Anyhow, RC, our total was 109 for the weekend. AT LEAST 4 states represented. The new Rhineharts/Reinharts were great to work with and to shoot at.

And everyone, EVERYONE there, made it one of the best Sticks I've been at, and helped with, in years.

The Crew would like to thank everyone who came to shoot with us, and especially one or two "non crew" FRIENDS who took an awful lot of their own time to help us out when they did. We know that YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE, and that you'd probably shoot one of those block course arrows at us if we said your name!!!

We hope to have the Saint George's Guillotine CORRECTLY running for an upcoming shoot. It was acting up, pretty much like a guillotine on unfiltered automatic, after the old, stretched out and fringing bungie cords were replaced. The old ones worked..sort of...but we were watching them break apart with each "throw". Saint George Porterfield's contraption will be the focus of attention, and "Sticks" will have it back in .... the swing....!

You can read more about this weekend's shoot at our Facebook page, "Strictly Sticks Traditional Archers", and see some photos, too.

We haven't created the "Winter 2017-2018" Calendar yet, but stand by. It's in the process.

Again, our thanks to all of you...from The Crew

11-Sep-17
Really enjoyed the shoot, and many thanks to the Strictly Sticks crew!! Was some beautiful weather and very nice course lay outs. Nice to see such a good turn out, and even participate in the hot dog roast "toast." Was also special to have Dad at another SS shoot and see him enjoy himself. Thanks again SS crew!!!!

• Sitka Gear