writer 13-Aug-17
Brick 14-Aug-17
Ben 14-Aug-17
turkulese 14-Aug-17
sitO 14-Aug-17
Dafish 25-Aug-17
Genesis 26-Aug-17
11-Aug-17
Do many people hunt with prescription glasses? Is it a terrible idea?

My eyesight isn't too bad. I've only had glasses for a few years and typically only put them on when working on a computer, reading a small menu, watching a movie, etc.

I've practiced shooting a lot 10 and some at 20 yards. As I've become comfortable with that, I've recently tried moving to 30 with terrible results. Last night I realized my eyesight was a large part of the problem (I aim with my right eye, which happens to be much worse than my left). I fetched my glasses from my car and saw a huge improvement. Now I have a lot of questions.

Is it a pain in the @$$ to wear glasses on a hunt?

Will they fog up or get damaged?

Will glare from the lenses spook deer?

11-Aug-17
Yes I wore them last year, trying to save some money on contacts.

Never again.

Rain is an issue.

Fogging in cold weather is an issue.

Glare is definitely an issue... even with transition lenses.

If you wear a face mask they will cause a problem with hanging up when putting on and taking off.

Peripheral vision is an issue as well... especially if your eyesight is bad.

My problem is that I have to have corrective lenses... horrible eyesight. I will be going back to using contact lenses as I cannot afford laser surgery.

11-Aug-17
One other thing...

I know your eyesight isn't as bad as mine, but I actually dropped them out of the stand last year. I left my back up pair at home (which I would recommend taking with you even if you decide to go with contacts).

I spent several minutes on my hands and knees looking for them in the leaves. They were laying right on top, but I could not see them due to my horrible vision. I was getting nervous and started making a lot of noise and sweating before I finally found them.

11-Aug-17
I use the infinity lenses which are none line bifocals and it makes it easier.Also wearing a facemask cause them to fog so i have tried to avoid wearing them

11-Aug-17
Where them every hunt. Guess I'm tougher than Turk. :-) Adds a few challenges but beats not being able to see, or the problems that can come with contacts. (My eyes are too dry), and I always want some kind of eye protection, even on bowhunts. 100-plus dead turkeys and probably almost as many deer/elk wish I'd have left my glasses at home.

11-Aug-17
Hey, I may be weak, but at least I'm blind!

I think how you hunt will probably play a role in this. I hunt a lot from the ground. Nestled up against a tree or using the terrain, I'm at eye level with deer under those conditions, so that probably affects my opinion. Last year I had problems from the ground with reflection. Ground blind, no problem at all.

I do think I've had deer see the reflection of my lenses up in a tree when I've been spotted though, but I'm speculating there.

If I had to choose either to wear them or not, I would wear them. There wouldn't be a tree safe in the woods if I started slinging arrows without my glasses.

11-Aug-17
DP

11-Aug-17
Hey, I may be weak, but at least I'm blind!

I think how you hunt will probably play a role in this. I hunt a lot from the ground. Nestled up against a tree or using the terrain, I'm at eye level with deer under those conditions, so that probably affects my opinion. Last year I had problems from the ground with reflection. Ground blind, no problem at all.

I do think I've had deer see the reflection of my lenses up in a tree when I've been spotted though, but I'm speculating there.

If I had to choose either to wear them or not, I would wear them. There wouldn't be a tree safe in the woods if I started slinging arrows without my glasses.

12-Aug-17
Hunt something 8-9 months of the year.Worn glasses the last 20 or so.Not an issue at all.For me,contacts are a pain,regular glasses great.Rain,shine,whatever. Glare?Call n shoot 50-100 coyotes a winter on bright snow wearing them.They are pretty alert.

13-Aug-17
Based on my target practice results, I'll be giving my glasses a go this fall. Thanks for all of your candid feedback. I'm actually a little surprised this didn't deteriorate into a spat about cornpiles before my questions were answered. If I drop some corn in the forest, but I can't actually see it, does it still make a pile?

13-Aug-17
Well that changes things... if you're just going to sit over a corn pile they will be just fine.

Heck, the yellow glare on your glasses may bring them in closer!

13-Aug-17
Dude, millions of people wear glasses during all of their wakened hours including me. I've won quite a few sporting Clays tournaments with mine. I can still shoot a scoped rifle with both eyes open. I remember I was so convinced I didn't need glasses until went to the optometrist, then I realized how blind I was.

13-Aug-17
Spooked more deer than most, but doubt it was because they saw the reflection in my glasses.

Bill of my cap has a shadow on my face, plus I try to set-up in shadows.

Not really impressed with a deer's eye sight, except for detectin any movement.

That's what's gotten me nailed.

14-Aug-17
turkulese - No baiting for me. I probably shouldn't have mentioned it. It was just a clumsy attempt at a joke.

14-Aug-17
I went to contacts several years ago and have been very pleased with them. Glasses fogged in cold weather when I wore a mask.

14-Aug-17
Brick, I picked up on it, but I couldn't let it pass without a smart comment back. Sorry, I've got some pretty lame jokes as well.

Ben, I always had the same problem. Rain/mist was also an issue for me, but I don't wear a baseball style hat to bow hunt.

14-Aug-17
Was I supposed to chime in here? LOL, have a good season "four-eyes" ;?)

25-Aug-17
I have worn glasses hunting for over 40 years. I wear a baseball style hat to keep rain off, half face mask and I have the bestest anti glare lenses I can find. While out elk hunting, I decided to take a break and sat on a rock in some trees. 20 minutes later my hunting buddy walks up to me. I ask how he found me, he said, "I saw your glasses reflecting from that ridge over there", which was over half mile a way. Last time I ever wore tranisien lenses while hunting...

26-Aug-17
Anti-reflective coating and Optifog (anti fog)coatings are super good.

• Sitka Gear