Squash 25-Aug-17
Denali 07-Sep-17
Shawn 08-Sep-17
Somersbow 11-Sep-17
Shawn 11-Sep-17
tompolaris 14-Sep-17
Denali 20-Sep-17
13-Aug-17
I was at a family re-union yesterday and a friend told me he had heard a new bill passed to not allow the use of actual animal urine scents will not be allowed and only synthetics would be allowed. I did a search on line and cannot find anything but that it was suggested on the dec web-site. Anyone know the real deal? Shawn

13-Aug-17
The NYS-DEC released a CWD Prevention Proposal on August 2, 2017. They are seeking public comments until September 1, 2017.

13-Aug-17
More needless knee jerk reaction to a problem the biologists know little about. CWD in NY was caused by a taxidermist who had captive deer, and he exposed them to western mule deer and elk that he was mounting, by dumping his shops floor sweepings around his high fence to keep the grass down. After all the sharpshooter and hunter killed deer and thousands of other deer tested, only 2 wild deer tested positive and they were both within a 1/2 mile from where the captive deer were kept. No wild deer in NY have tested positive , I think now for over a decade.

22-Aug-17
I use my own piss and have been for years

24-Aug-17
If human piss works, I guess why use anything else? Unless the deer observes you doing it, which is another story, of course!

25-Aug-17
I have killed more than a couple of bucks with my recurve that came to a scrape I pissed in before I climbed up

25-Aug-17
Sjj Better be quiet , next the DEC will ban pissing in the woods.

07-Sep-17
The whole proposal is laughable. They can not reliably "transmit" CWD in captive deer. It has also never been proven that urine is a vector of transmission.....only that the prions can be shed in body fluids. There is a definitive correlation to genetic pre disposition in all TSE's and most are triggered by environmental stress. They will still allow the deer farmers to sell in states where it is legal......which begs the question......will NYS be liable if deer urine they won't allow to be used in their own state is shipped to another state?????????? How many SYMPTOMATIC deer have been identified in NY (heck....the US for that matter) and where were they????? Were they wild or captive deer?????? Has CWD caused any degradation in the wild deer herd anywhere it was identified?????......see CO .......where it has existed in wild cervids for decades without any negative affect on the overall herd health, population, domestic livestock or human inhabitants. Crazy, unscientific, knee jerk, chicken little logic. All because the DEC (and public opinion) believes that "wild" cervids have no place in captivity or that commercial use of "wild" cervids is somehow wrong. The DEC also hates the fact that captive animals fall under the jurisdiction of the Dept of Ag as they are domestic livestock........not "wild" animals. Ridiculous.

08-Sep-17
Denali I agree with 99% of what you said but when you say "has CWD caused any degradation in the wild deer herd anywhere it was identified????". The answer is yes just ask folks in parts of Kansas and Iowa their was several bad outbreaks several years ago in a few places in each states the the herds have still not recovered. My thing is I highly doubt any of it was caused by folks using deer urine for hunting. Shawn

11-Sep-17
Shawn, are you sure that was CWD and not EHD? I remember hearing about some bad outbreaks of EHD a few years back and the herds taking a real hit. Just curious. I don't hunt anywhere other than NY, so could be completely off the mark.

11-Sep-17
To be honest not sure which one I know they had cases of both. The point is that when a herd is hit hard by either one, it takes quite a while for it to recover. Shawn

14-Sep-17
Has any change been cast in stone yet or are they just talking? Season is getting close.

20-Sep-17
Shawn......CWD is very slow acting.....you cannot get an "Outbreak" EHD, Blue Tongue are the most significant virulent pathogens. They have killed thousands of deer in outbreaks all over the U.S.. If you ever want to perplex your local Encon folks.......ask them how many SYMPTOMATIC WILD deer that they have found in the US. Hint The vast majority were over 4 decades ago in CO. The test for CWD by regulation also HAS to default to a positive if the test fails (same as any other presence/absence test in animal health).......which further influences the stats on the diseases actual presence.

• Sitka Gear