RC 19-Aug-17
Phil Magistro 19-Aug-17
RC 19-Aug-17
RC 19-Aug-17
WMC 19-Aug-17
George D. Stout 19-Aug-17
Rut Nut 21-Aug-17
16-Aug-17
From the state code 135.41state game lands. (15) its seems target shooting a bow is allowed but (16) seems to contradict (15) I must ask: Is target shooting a bow and arrow legal on game lands

16-Aug-17
Yes. With a few conditions. I contacted them two or three weeks ago. Here is my query, and their reply.

"Hi PGC. I have a question about shooting on the game lands. I shoot traditional archery equipment and a historical pastime is to go 'stump shooting' or 'roving'. This means roving the woods and fields, choosing random natural objects like rotten stumps, clumps of grass, a leaf on the ground, and such as targets. Target points or rubber blunts are used and arrows either bounce off or are easily removed, and no damage is done to living plants or animals. It's good fun and good practice.

I read the regulations regarding shooting on the game lands and while it appears to me to be legal, I thought it best to check with the main office before I did it. 

So my questions are... is it indeed legal? And if so, do I need to have my hunting license in my possession while doing so?

Thank you for your time, Jeff Durnell"

Their response:

"Yes, this is a permitted activity provided the participant is in compliance with the following state game lands regulation: 

58 PA Code section 135.41 (c) (15) states “it is unlawful to target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles unless the person is in possession of a valid hunting or furtaking license signed by its holder. Exercise of privileges shall be done in a manner as to not cause injury to persons or property, or on areas not otherwise posted closed to those activities.” 

16-Aug-17
If your confusion is with this.... 'It is prohibited'... "Except as provided on established shooting ranges, discharge any firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife. Shoot clay birds anywhere except areas designated by the Executive Director by signs stating that clay bird shooting is permitted."

For the purpose of our conversation.... basically all this is saying is that... Outside of the PGC designated shooting ranges... if you're going to shoot on the game lands, you must use a legal hunting weapon.

16-Aug-17
It was clear to some of us years ago, and then they even made it more clear. I'm not sure what else they have to say so people understand it. ""Exercise of privileges shall be done in a manner as to not cause injury to persons or property, or on areas not otherwise posted closed to those activities.""

16-Aug-17
Thank you for the clarification. Iam glad I asked

17-Aug-17
So I could take my AR out to the gamelands and target shoot, but not my Glock?

17-Aug-17
I don't know. What's a Glock? Is that one of those reverse limb crossbow things?

17-Aug-17
I think you'd run into trouble with the AR because you have to have a backstop.

17-Aug-17
So I could take my AR out to the gamelands and target shoot, but not my Glock?

BOWSITE................. BOWSITE................... BOWSITE.................

18-Aug-17
Jeff- it's short for Glockenspiel! ;-)

But seriously......................................I am surprised the PGC allows target shooting of firearms on the SGL anywhere OTHER than the established ranges! That's what they are there for!

As a bowhunter(ROY ;-) I would have a problem with somebody target shooting in the middle of the SGL (especially several weeks prior to the Archery Season) when they could drive a few miles further and go to one of the established PGC ranges where they would not be disturbing anyone or any animals!

18-Aug-17
Archery practice may be legal on SGL's but target shooting I believe is not. That is why they have ranges........

18-Aug-17
John- read the PGC response above(at the end of Jeff's post above).

The way I read it, you can target shoot with a legal hunting weapon as long as you are doing so in a safe manner(and have a valid hunting license). Now that AR's are legal for hunting, you could use one. But a semi-automatic pistol would be prohibited because you cannot legally hunt with it.

18-Aug-17
I don't want to encourage firearm practice on the game lands, but I did find a rifle target on a piece of cardboard laying along side a trail last weekend about 100 yards from the parking area. It looked like it hadn't been there very long and I carried it out for the slobs that left it there. That was the first sign of target shooting I've seen on the game lands.

18-Aug-17
Now if we could just get the PGC to put stumps on the established ranges.......

18-Aug-17
LOL Red! :)

I wonder if Rhinehart makes a stump target? ;-)

18-Aug-17
They sell water melon targets, Rut:)

18-Aug-17
So I guess I need to get a hunting license to Archery stump shoot on the SGLs, or join any friends who may be stump shooting. OK, fair enough. Never had one; never been a hunter: just a gatherer. I'll stick to the "Sticks" property, or (goodness gracious) the back yard, beside the neighbor's swingset.... But: at least I now know.

18-Aug-17
'It is prohibited'... "Except as provided on established shooting ranges, discharge any firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife."

That is about as "clear" as mud. If that statement means I can rove off established ranges you will have to explain it to me.

18-Aug-17

Rut Nut's Link
LOL! Rinehart actually DOES make a stump target- who knew?! ;-)

18-Aug-17
Red, it's actually pretty clear. "Except as provided on established shooting ranges..." so on established shooting ranges pretty much anything goes (except that some ranges only have 100 yard targets).

"...discharge any firearm, bow and arrow or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife." - the weapon has to be legal to hunt with. In other words you can take a bow or crossbow out and shoot it and you can take a .357 or other hunting caliber out in a handgun and shoot it and you can take the '06 rifle out and shoot it but you cannot take an UZI out and blow away a few mags.

The catch to this (with a firearm) is determining the appropriate backstop to make sure the shooting "...shall be done in a manner as to not cause injury to persons or property." That one may be hard to prove.

18-Aug-17
Rut, $264 dollars for a stump. Anyone that buys one outside a club has more money than brains.

18-Aug-17
Anyone that buys one outside a club has more money than brains.

Well that leaves rut butt out, he hain't got neither:)

18-Aug-17
Red, I understand it as Phil does. One established ranges, we don't have to use only 'legal hunting weapons'.

Outside of the established ranges, they MUST be legal hunting weapons. Otherwise, folks could try to hunt with a non-legal weapon, and then claim they were just target shooting.

I'm saying stumping/roving is legal because I asked them and they said it was, with the only reference or requisite being:

58 PA Code section 135.41 (c) (15) states “it is unlawful to target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles unless the person is in possession of a valid hunting or furtaking license signed by its holder. Exercise of privileges shall be done in a manner as to not cause injury to persons or property, or on areas not otherwise posted closed to those activities.” 

18-Aug-17
Jeff got it right. There is a retired game warden over on Hunting PA, who has stated more than once that stump shooting is perfectly legal on gamelands.

18-Aug-17
Well If you say that sentence means roving is OK I'll just have to take your word for it.

"Prohibited, except on ranges".

Alrighty then.

I've been talking for some time now and have a pretty good understanding of the English language. Or, maybe I don't.

19-Aug-17
Red, it's all about the commas. While you have been talking for a long time, some would say a very long time, you have to remember you speak that Somerset County dialect. :)

19-Aug-17
Sigh

19-Aug-17
Auf Deutsch bitte......

19-Aug-17

Jeff Durnell's Link
Red, no, the regulation you keep referencing, 58 PA Code section 135.41 (c) (16), won't make the legality of 'roving' clear for you. That isn't its intent. I found it(16) worded slightly differently on PaCode and it might be easier to understand its purpose.

58 PA Code section 135.41 (c) (16) states.... It is unlawful to: Except as provided in Subchapter J (relating to shooting ranges), discharge any firearm, bow and arrow, or device capable of launching projectiles that is not a lawful device to hunt game or wildlife.

It's stating that any weapon used outside of the established ranges must be a 'legal hunting weapon'. It doesn't intend to clarify 'how' they may or may not be used. That's the job of the regulation immediately preceding it, 58 PA Code section 135.41 (c) (15). That's why the PGC referenced only (15) in their reply to our question, and is the regulation we should look to for our answer.

19-Aug-17
I like to blame the 'no child left behind' program, but it seems that the age limit is not a consequence. The PGC even changed the wording a couple years back to make it more understandable that it is legal to stump shoot/rove.

19-Aug-17
I'm thinking, not only the tree sap runs slow up there in Maple City:)

19-Aug-17
This was posted in June of 2013 over on the Leatherwall during a similar discussion:

To Allow Stump Shooting on State Game Lands Whereas: Section 135.41, paragraph 15 of the PA Code, Title 58, (State Game Lands Regulations) prohibits, in part, target shooting with bows and arrows in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property; and Whereas: That could be and has been interpreted to preclude ?roving,? a sport where stumps, clumps of grass and leaves are chosen as targets by archers using specifically designed heads such as ?Judo? style and blunts that result in minimal penetration; immediate deceleration upon contact with any plant, stump or earth; and result in the optimum recovery of expensive arrows; and Whereas: There is no true safety or biological consideration negating this activity;

Therefore Be It Resolved: That the PFSC petition the PA Game Commission to add the following wording to Section 135.41, paragraph 15 of Title 58: ?The intent of this paragraph is not to preclude bow and arrow target shooting using blunt or 'Judo' style heads at inanimate natural objects as targets.?

PGC Response: The regulation 13.41 makes it unlawful to "Target shoot with firearms, bows and arrows or devices capable of launching projectiles in a manner that could cause injury to persons or property, or on areas posted closed to those activities." Whether you are using a rifle or bow and arrow, you may shoot at stumps or clumps of grass so long as you are not damaging any property or endangering anyone.

19-Aug-17
So stumps, clumps, and lumps are legal targets.

What about smart arses?

19-Aug-17
Only those under the age of 65, Red:)

19-Aug-17
And only those that live west of the Susquehanna.

19-Aug-17
It's legal to shoot bald stumps though. LMFAO

19-Aug-17
Dead wood in other words, Red. I know you are from Maple City...

19-Aug-17
With all that has been said. I guess it is legal to shoot arrows with field point at a portable target if the manner of shooting doesn't harm property or persons

19-Aug-17
I'm not sure what it's going to take anymore folks. It is pretty clear.

21-Aug-17
Hey Roy- I don't have much of either, but I got a FEW more brains than $$$!!! ;-)

Phil- actually, caliber has nothing to do with it. It is a question of weather the PISTOL is a revolver or semi-automatic. Revolvers are legal for hunting. Semi-autos are not. (Only semi-auto RIFLES became legal this year)

• Sitka Gear