Thornton 20-Aug-17
JBS620 20-Aug-17
Kansasclipper 20-Aug-17
crestedbutte 20-Aug-17
JBS620 21-Aug-17
dragon76 21-Aug-17
crestedbutte 21-Aug-17
19-Aug-17
I went out this morning to move my tree stand. While a friend and I were cutting limbs for a shooting lane a healthy 10 pt. still in velvet stood and stared at us about 20 yds. away. After about 10 seconds he turned and ran to the east along the corn. We continued to cut the lane and about 5 minutes later the same buck come back with a 12 pt. and an 8pt. The trotted past us within 10 yards and didn't seem too concerned about our presence. We continued cutting limbs and about 30 seconds later we heard something to the east where the 3 original bucks come from and seen 6pt. and 4pt. bucks standing about 20 yds away. They snorted at us and ran away to the east, the opposite direction the 3 larger bucks. My question is, did we spook the deer enough that they won't return for the season? I might add, we didn't get the stand set up. We managed to get the shooting lane cut and will have to return next week to put the stand up.

19-Aug-17
You must have invaded some of "Scooby's" properties.

19-Aug-17
I think their bedding about 1/4 mile east of where I'm putting the stand. I think we caught them out trolling the corn between the hedge row where I'm putting the stand and the corn that's planted.

19-Aug-17

JBS620's embedded Photo
JBS620's embedded Photo
Here's a map to show the lay of the land.....

19-Aug-17
Not mine, I can hang a stand and cut it out in 1/2 an hour and I would of seen twice that many bucks!! :) Shawn(aka Scooby)

19-Aug-17
LOL at least you have a sense of humor.

20-Aug-17
And then 51 days later he might shoot one. To answer your question, I think your hedgerow will be slim pickins after the corn is cut.

20-Aug-17
Thanks. I'm a rookie to deer/bow hunting and know a lot of nothing about deer behavior. This is my third year hunting and it's all been on this land. I'm moving the tree to the spot I chose because it's where I've seen the most activity over those 3 years.

20-Aug-17
Sounds like a plan. Just hunt them where they are and keep the wind in your face.

20-Aug-17
What about that timbered creek bottom just west (left) of the watershed/spillway/dam? Maybe hunt the north side/edge since the south side appears to be near a road. Of terrain shown in the aerial pic., I would set a stand in that block of woods. Would bet there are parallel and perpendicular deer trails traversing that entire creek bottom. Important question: Do you have permission to hunt down there?

21-Aug-17
I do have permission to hunt that area. However, a rifle hunter is also there with permission during rifle season. That's part of the reason I'm moving my stand. I just obtained permission to hunt the north side of the hedge row also.

21-Aug-17
your going to want a stand/blind close to the water. regardless of the time of the year, deer consume a lot of water

21-Aug-17
Maybe there could be a compromise...bowhunt the timbered bottom when there isn't a firearms season and then move to your hedgerow stand during the short firearms seasons?

Would guess the deer will be booking it out of that timbered bottom and using hedgerow corridors to get from point A to point B once the shooting starts or when that rifle hunter unknowingly pushes them out (right into your lap) upon his entry.

• Sitka Gear