Helgermite 31-Aug-17
WoundChannel 03-Sep-17
Reggiezpop 03-Sep-17
Helgermite 05-Sep-17
Bill J. 28-Dec-17
24-Aug-17

Nocturnal's embedded Photo
Now that the season is right around the corner. I've been prepping and getting ready for opening day. I know a lot of you have been doing the same. So I'm curious on what stands you guys like to use while hunting public land or stands you plan on pulling out after your hunt. Here's mine...

24-Aug-17

Added some stealth strips to my sticks and a custom bracket to hold the on my stand.

24-Aug-17

Rubber tubing to go around the buckles to eliminate any clanking. This all took me hours to do but you have to really try to make noise with this setup.

24-Aug-17
Would a pic of my boots count? I am not opposed to climbing a tree and sitting on a branch if I find a good spot. All of my stands including my climber are in fixed positions.

I remember your post last year showing how you have everything basically strapped together, you're way more organized and dedicated than me. I sure hope you kill a big one, you deserve it.

24-Aug-17

Reggiezpop's embedded Photo
I definitely need to get rid of my clamps with the clanky hooks I use to tie down my sticks. I have 2 identical set ups with Hawk Helium XL stands and Hawk sticks.

24-Aug-17
CheeseheadMike showed me the Hazmore seat for the Lonewolf climber. Talk about quiet!

24-Aug-17
Double Post

24-Aug-17
Noc, I will post pics of my XOP and sticks tomorrow. I will warn you though. My paracord work isn't nearly as pretty as yours.

25-Aug-17
Quite a job there on silencing that stand Noc, hope it works for you. Looks impressive! That shoulder/chest injury you suffered earlier this summer, how's that going to affect your climbing?

25-Aug-17
"CheeseheadMike showed me the Hazmore seat for the Lonewolf climber. Talk about quiet!"

X2

25-Aug-17
Nice stuff..... To me its all about weight, I scaled down every ounce,,,,, looks like there is some good systems.... Rut did you buy the XOP Vanish?....... I have to learn how to post pics,,,,,,,

I have XOP straps, on an original smallest LW, and with that just 2 sticks,,,, that's it, quick and easy,,,, I have no worries about not getting high enough, I just tuck in, and most places I hunt, is such a crap hole, sometimes 1 stick is all you need,,,,,,

I also am like Noc, and silence everything, noise is a killer, will not accept any noise,

25-Aug-17
Shane, thanks but I'm pulling for you and your boy. YOU two derserve some fresh venison.

Reggie I've never used hawk but it looks compact.

Rut!! I wanna see the setup.

Case: My chest is all healed and it wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been. I'm ready for whatever the season throws my way.

Razor I couldnt agree more about the weight. Last year I carried way to much and had to downsize some camera gear that was overkill for what i needed. I have yet to weigh everything. But Im sure I've cut out a good 14 pounds.

25-Aug-17
Noc, what kind of stand/sticks is that before your add ons? LW?

Reg - The Hawk stands look pretty solid

Rut - I would like to see your setup as well with the XOP.

Last year i created a thread about silencing a climbing stand. I hope it isint to late, but after reading this thread I might be convinced on purchasing sticks and a hang on ASAP (just not sure which brand).

That climber is a beast and loud. It was given to me to start out, but i would say it is greater than 40lbs (old field and stream climber). Most frustrating part is finding a tree to climb and the amount of noise.

Yall seem to be doing it right, so that looks like the way to go!

25-Aug-17
WC: both the stand and sticks are LW. If you buy a stand and sticks, come and talk to me.

25-Aug-17

Reasons why I don't mess with climbers. Rarely is there ever a perfect tree in the right spot. Portable stands will go on trees like this.

25-Aug-17

Wrong picture!

This one. :)

25-Aug-17
Great thread.

I got my first stand last year. Its a climber...its heavy and noisey and awkward when walking. I need to figure a better way to transport it. The straps it came with were a joke.

25-Aug-17
Okay boys and girls I will be self filming all my hunts this year,,,,, we will see how my stand set up goes,,,,,, I have the equipment, still do not have a smartphone,,,, ha ha

25-Aug-17
Staghorn 11 lbs. with steps

25-Aug-17
Razor, you'll have fun self filming and every time you set up, you'll get better. Good luck and have fun.

25-Aug-17

False Prophet's embedded Photo
False Prophet's embedded Photo

25-Aug-17
that is funny, is Ted Nugent in that stand.................................

25-Aug-17
Jesus!!! And I thought there were only 2 things that came from Texas! Lol

25-Aug-17
The reasons stated above are exactly why I turned my climber into a permanent stand.

25-Aug-17
Wound Channel- I just went all the way back to November but was unable to find the thread about silencing your climber. If you can find it, could you bump it?

26-Aug-17
Tweed, there is good info on u tube on that subject,,,,, there is a guy who has a good video on it,,,,,, Have fun on vacation with family

Well I bought a new stand yesterday, after work,,,, I bought the Millenium M7 at the only dealer in my area who only had 2. Had to take it out of the box, at the store to see how it would work. Unlike the other Millenium, it has no chain system, it is a cam buckle, drop in system,,,,, that was quiet I thought. It weighs nothing on my back, at home it came in at just over 7lbs...........

It came with back strap system, which is junk, if you are 5' 8 or under it will work better, but that keeps the cost down I am sure,,,, I will replace that,,,,, also though it came with a safety line, pursic noc system, that has got to be worth 20.00 right there,,,, Will give that to my friend for his ladder stand

I will give a report on it at a later time, after spending some time with it, They cost 159.00 which I did not think was too bad,,,,,,, If it does not work out, I can always sell it at a Trad shoot

26-Aug-17
Tweed just type in stealth strips u tube,,,,,,,,,, you will see some good stuff

26-Aug-17
Tweed - I can only make it back to December, and i tried searching and clicking on topics i contributed to, but the thread does not display, sorry.

I remember tips such as felt, or mole skin placed in areas where metal to metal contact was being made(buckles of foot straps and the frame). Placing your jacket or outer wear between the 2 sections and then adding bungees to keep the outer wear from slipping and securing the platform and seat portion to each other silenced it quite a bit while its on your back. I put a small amount of camo tape (stuff used to wrap a shotgun) around the pins that slid through the stand when securing the cable.

26-Aug-17

RutnStrut's embedded Photo
Here is my XOP Silver Medium and LW and Muddy sticks. I'm fairly new at the mobile hang on stuff. I was always a climber guy on public up until last season. I will be adding Stealth Strips. I may try stick talons as well. It's a work in progress. I'm spoiled by having private land so I'm not as refined with my mobile set up, yet??

Hmm, this isn't the pic I wanted. Now you guys know about my milkweed grow op;)

26-Aug-17
In case anyone was wondering I do have carrying straps they just are off right now. I actually have what they call a "treestand transport system". It's made by Gameplan Gear, but they discontinued it. Which is to bad as it works great. I also use my Horn hunter main beam XL pack as that carries a stand and sticks quite well. I also have a Molle 2 harness on my climber which works great. The loose camo tape on my stand is exactly why I'm going with Stealth strips. From everything I hear they are way more durable.

27-Aug-17
Nice stuff,,,,, Rut I too will have prime private land, in SW Wis to hunt, and since it is owned by my best friend I will have now for life, he bought it this year. However hunting public land can be a lot of fun, and there is so much of it, you can find all kinds of neat areas......

Taking a buck on pubic land is satisfying to me, its hard work and a chore at times, but it makes you a better hunter, and I have lots of wanderlust...... I will shoot what I like, when I like, I quit other private land, great land, only because I do not want to be told, what to shoot, what the minimum score has to be (this is not baseball), and when they started to name deer, I bowed out, but remained friends, with ex partners......

Also I am looking for a better buck in the SW than I would be in the UP. Your system will also work find for you, if you go out of state......... I would recommend both of the Dakotas, close and lots of public land, if you have the time

Work was cancelled this am due to rain, so I am working on setting up the M7,,,,, first thing I did was get rid of the carrying straps, junk,,,,,,, have to get stealth strips, get rid of stuff I was using on my old LW........... Other stand is the XOP vanish........ Sold my 2 ladder stands, so I had extra coin

27-Aug-17
Nice rut! What is up with all that milk weed though? You know 2 pods will last all season? Maybe 2.. lol

#monarchlivesmatter!!

27-Aug-17
Just hooked up this am in the garage, my friends XOP, with sticks..... beauty of this stand, turn seat over, for quiet transport..... put one stick on the back, it fits into brackets, than use one of stick straps to make a cross over, and secure to knob and tighten,,,,, after that, for every stick you want, just lock on the first stick,,,, dead quiet,,,,, pretty slick....

So now we are looking at how to hook sticks to the M7....... Wish I knew how to make a video, but learning that now too.......

So far the M7 is the best weight, and you forget it is on, can wear it on your back and put coat if needed over it, its that slim in design, but the XOP has the best stick design and set up,,,,,,

to be continued

27-Aug-17
Noc, I have a 6 acre field that I let grow and at least half is milkweed. Then there is a ton growing on the rest of our home place. I also "plant" it in spots where it needs it. I sent out most of my dried stuff from last year to friends that don't have any. But yes I agree it's good to leave some. I never pick a plant clean, I always leave at least 2 pods on every plant. One word of advice to anyone fairly new with these mobile set ups. PRACTICE with your stand/sticks or climber for that matter. I didn't practice enough with my stand/sticks last off season. I hated it the first 4 or 5 hunts. It took me awhile to just slow down and take it easy. Slow is usually quiet, plus it's less sweaty.

30-Aug-17
Here is my latest tree stand review, and opinion of a stand. The stand is the Millenium M7 Micro Lite. It was purchased at Farmstead Archery, in Sheboygan, the only place I could find the M7 and he only had 2. Nice store by the way and nice archery people.

This stand is the lightest I could find, and once it is on your back, you do not know it is there. There is absolutely no noise with this stand, while on your back. While opening up or folding the stand for carry there is no noise. The tree attachment strap is not on the stand, a big plus, so nothing to make noise, it is dead quiet.

The seat is very comfortable, and the platform although smaller, is all I need, as I am able to stand and turn in the stand with no issues. It is powder coated black and the seat is green......

The seat has a bolt in it. You take the bolt out, of its rear spot, and place in the front spot, so the seat folds forward for use, and put back in the rear spot, so the seat completely collapses and folds back and flat against the platform, for transport.

The strap attaches to the tree, and hooks on one side, again by an easily slid bolt, that the strap loop goes in, and is secured by bolt. This can all be done easily with your hand, no tools needed. than you ratchet the strap to the tree, and the stand drops in the gray powder coated receiver on the strap. a small cotter pin is then put in the bottom of the receiver.

When doing all of this yester day again no noise. Easy install, no hassle. The stand comes with a back pack straps. The company likes them, (per their e mail), I however would like them to be a little more, in padding and room, but they do work,,,,,, I shamefully put on another stand manufacturers brand straps, which has better padding....... also the ratchet is that standard gold, which shines too much, but is done per the company by attorneys..... I would spray that up a little, gray ...... or black

The stand has a profile so slim, I could put it on, and put cold weather coat over it, without issues. I was able to take my sticks, and within minutes, I was up and set, and again, no noise............

Also if your still do not like heights, and like to stay on the ground, this stand, makes an excellent seat, just attached to the low end of the tree, again because of its easy transport.......

Only issue now is how to attach my sticks, LW ones to the stand, but I think I have that figured out. The beauty of the XOP is that the sticks will stack on the back, easily and are made for that,,,,,,,,,

What sold me on this stand, weight, packability, no noise, ease to put up, and rock solid on the tree,,,,,,,,,,,,,,looking forward to the season

wish I knew how to make video, I am learning how to do that this year

30-Aug-17
Just had my XOP Air Raid and XOP sticks delivered! Very excited to set them up!

30-Aug-17
Wound Channel...... that is a great stand,,,,, when you set that up, put the first stick on the back, in the channels,,,, than use one strap to secure, making a crossover lash and tighten on the knob. when that is secure, simply snap in the others........ also flip over the seat when on the back for transport padding....... I love the XOP system.....

XOP also will show you how do that, on u tube,,,,,

31-Aug-17
who uses the Hawke climbing stick,,,, I am looking at the Helium for weight and was wondering what your thoughts are, and do they stack easy

31-Aug-17
I use the Helium sticks, Razor. Super light, but not the best at stacking. They fit into each other easy enough, but slide around unless really strapped down. You also have make sure the buckles are either silenced with some after market material, or tie them down as well. They are hard plastic, and will clank around with every step.

31-Aug-17
I will be using the XOP sticks for the first time this year. I plan on giving them a test run this weekend. One thing that I didn't like about these is the sharp edges and ragged burrs left on the edges of the steps and other aluminum extrusions used on the stand. I've taken these parts off, and run them in a tumbler for 20 minutes. This removed the burrs on the corners and edges all around. Now I'm going to have them powder coated over the anodize since the black anodize was removed on the corners from the tumbling. I can't wait to get them re-assembled for some practice this weekend. I am planning on securing them to a pull rope with some prussic knot attachments just like the life lines (but smaller dia. rope.) I am thinking this will give me some good adjustability to tie them for pulling up so that only one stick is off the ground at a time, but the others are still attached to the line to be pulled up at the next height. Does anyone have any experience with this rope pull up method?

03-Sep-17
Out of curiosity, do you guys strap and/or hang a backpack/pack to the stand and sticks? Or wear a fanny pack around the waste with stand/sticks on the back and bow in hand?

03-Sep-17
All depends how far the hike is and how long the sit is. I try to ditch the back pack as often as I can because I end up taking crap I know I won't need. But if I do bring one, stand and sticks on back, and I wear the backpack backwards across my chest, with bow in hand.

05-Sep-17
I carry a backpack hung from the tree stand. It hangs from the tree stand just as natural like it hangs off my shoulders when I'm not carrying a tree stand.

28-Dec-17
Bringing this up to the top. I'm going to be looking for a new mobile hang-on this coming year, and was wondering how these stands worked for you this year, or if anyone else had any recommendations. Thanks guys!

• Sitka Gear