Will 18-Sep-17
Miketag 18-Sep-17
Pi 18-Sep-17
DeanMan 19-Sep-17
bowandspear 19-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 19-Sep-17
Belchertown Bowman 19-Sep-17
28-Aug-17
How early do you guys start hanging your drip bags? Also what do you guys like to fill with... buck, doe and buck mix etc.

28-Aug-17
If you meen over a muck scrape, then september 17 this year. With buck

28-Aug-17
I just pee in the scrape a few times. Human urine is a better price with the same results. But the bag is unnatural looking . I doubt it does any harm but they must be baffled by the source being in the tree.

A buck will use his scrape or a community scrape but it is also checked from down wind often enough . Some are used all year . I have had several experiences watching a mature buck smell human pee and it doesn't seem to have a different effect than any other kind. I think the "competition" is enough to get deer interested like a dog does .

If a scrape is being used then there is no need to add to it but during the phases of the rut it can bring him in to over-pee on the offending trespasser I believe , so wait until it gets going .

28-Aug-17
Have to admit, Ive tried these over the years... Last year I ran a bit of an experiment on a good urban spot I hunt. I hung the cam on a solid run, which always seems to have a naturally occurring scrape, but is inside the 500foot set back. I did this 1.) to survey deer in the area; 2.) to feel safer leaving the cam up through archery season to see what was happening and 3.) because I've used drippers over the years but I'm really not sure a spot gets more or less attention when I use them.

So, from mid october to end of November, I got 10 different bucks and a bunch of does on cam. Most at night, but one real nice 8 and a few smaller bucks seemed to troll through during the day or daylight at least in November. One 8 at about 1130 if I recall..

My experiment was poorly done though, because I cant be sure if they were working the snot out of that scrape last year due to the dripper, or the high number of bucks trolling through the area.

What I have found, is that if I try a dripper in a spot that looks like it would be good for a scrape but does not routinely have one most years... I wont "draw" deer to the scent. They seem to just do their thing and will literally never use the "new" scrape.

But, as Pi said, in spots where there is a well used scrape most years, if I kick the leaves and pee... Seems to work almost every time that the neighborhood bucks will start to get on it.

Now, that all said... I'm a gear nerd and like the idea of it, so Ill likely plunk down some cash and try to use a dripper again this year. I may try it early season with a "curiosity" scent to see if that does anything.

28-Aug-17

Murphy31's embedded Photo
Had a cam on a scrape last year, and I can tell from the 400 pics. That they are way more interested in the branch then they are in the actual scrape. I'd look for a gland scent over a urine one, and hang it over the licking branch so it drips down onto that.

28-Aug-17

Doe checking in on what boys are around
Doe checking in on what boys are around
98% of the time when they came in they went up first to check the branch. Rather than checking the dirt. All the pics are when these deer first walked up to the scrape. It didn't matter if it was a young buck, mature buck, or a doe. Everything most of the time really revolved around the branch. Some times they never even checked the dirt (scrape), or if they did it was the last thing they did before they left. I'm no scrape expert by any means, but when I pulled this card last season it was the first thing I noticed. Looking through the pics right now. 5 deer out of the 400 pictures checked the ground first. It was 4 young bucks, and a doe that did. Not one mature buck ever checked the ground first. Pretty interesting what a camera can teach you.

28-Aug-17
Wow. Good to know. So then if the concensus is that the drippers aren't worth it... are you guys using any sort of attractant in licking branches etc?

28-Aug-17
I have transferred other branches from other scrapes (with gloves and a bag ) It works . If you are making a mock scrape then you would be best served by the real thing . Clip one off from someplace else and tie it on to your overhanging branch . I think it is better than some odd smell (from maybe a deer ) that lives in Montana or wherever.

28-Aug-17
Mike, I've never played around with scrapes. That one was just there. I'm planning on trying it this year. I'd have to imagine that they pretty much know/ recognize the other bucks that are using it. I'd be curious to see if you could piss off an older buck and get him fired up. If he thought some other new buck had moved into the area.

29-Aug-17
I've never had any luck w/ a dripper... but I have just put cams on scrapes with amazing results. I will also pee in the scrapes and they continue to hit it.

29-Aug-17
Thinking of this last night got me curious. And I got to thinking (dangerous)... Do any of you recall seeing yotes in scrapes? Last year I didnt, but, in years past when I left a cam on a scrape I was surprised at the yotes that seemed to stop and sniff the area.

Murphy, that certainly makes sense on the branch. Many "experts" say the branch is where they rub preorbital gland scent and saliva. Given many if not a majority of hunters seem to feel human pee does nothing and may even get deer scraping more, it leads one to think the rapid breakdown of urine environmentally maybe leaves little to no real "identifying" scent. Perhaps the ground aspect is more visual than anything else...

29-Aug-17
The Human (normal) urine has no "human" tel-tails. It breaks down into common components but it does make a smell that they can smell. The predator also smells it and doesn't know what it came from. Tracking is what they do so it is natural for them be at the scrape. Why they sometimes crap in one is a wonder. How does that help their mission ?

I can't say with certainty if any type of urine in a scrape actually brings a deer out of its way and into a scrape... Maybe it was headed that way anyway. But I can testify to this. Deer do not react negatively to human urine. They are curious but not at all alarmed. I actually had to pee into the lower branches of my tree ,that two bucks walked under. They were around me for 1/2 an hour and when they passed under it one actually lifted its head up and sniffed a long time ... if it's eyes were focused (I assume they were not) he would have seen me right above him . Never buggered a bit. Same for a great Buck that I shot , he just sniffed and stood around waiting to get killed.

Now , I have dropped a glove that caught the eye of a doe and she came to look more closely and perhaps to give a sniff. She bounded off to 30 yards like she was shot then looked around , she continued to feed . It is our other odor I am sure, that buggers them, but not pee. I agree that the licking branch is a big part in the equation and that is one reason not to hang a drip bag from it. You could however, add from another scrape , a carefully relocated licking branch but why bother if it is an active scrape. Save that for beginning a mock scrape .

29-Aug-17
I might try a gland sent this year and see if I can get a drip bag above the the licking branch so that it drips down onto it. Was given a free drip bag last year, so I kinda want to play around with it.

Will, not one coyote on that one last year. It did attract beavers, coons, and turkeys though. I also had a younger buck sleep in the scrape for just around an hour lol.

29-Aug-17
I might get told I'm wrong but I never try to fool a deer nose. Never try to leave smell or scent of any kind in the woods I'm hunting.

I don't use scent of any kind and leave the woods the way I find it. Bringing strange or different smells into the woods and alerting the deer to something that they're not used to might put them on alert and they're already alert enough.

Bringing strange scent into the woods can work I guess, but I believe in little to no changes in the areas you're hunting is your best advantage. Silent and scentless is your best chance at getting the job done. I'm sure others have had good success at scent placement and use, but I like to leave as little mark as possible in the woods I'm hunting.

I've tried placing scent in scrapes, on licking branches, only to blow a good spot. If you go with a dripper let us know the results. Best of luck this season.

29-Aug-17
If you find the scrape and know the deer travel , it is just a matter of inserting yourself and putting in the time. Or timing the input.

If the deer are over the line on a forbidden zone then maybe one can try to pull them over with some tricks ... Maybe , It is tempting to try to hunt deer like one lures a fish but it is better to figure out their game and intercept, than to tip them off .

I do think a well place call can pull them in especially when a buck is getting worked up but when used incorrectly it will have negative effects. Rattling ? I haven't witnessed it working around here , maybe there is not enough competition in most of our spaces. Making noise that sounds like deer does work . Like raking the forest floor or breaking branches (rubbing trees) . They will investigate .

It grows closer ...

29-Aug-17
I read an interesting article last week about the whole trying to be scentless thing. Basically, it isn't possible. Here is the run down. Street clothes= 14 seconds for a trained dog to find the guy. No scent soap shower. With clothes washed in baking soda= 19 seconds for the same dog to find him. No scent soap shower. With an ozone unit placed in a tote with the clothes. For 30 minutes= 42 seconds for the dog to find him. No scent soap shower. Clothes washed with a no scent detergent. With an ozonics unit on him while the dog was looking = 50 seconds. What caught my eye was the ozone unit they used to put in the tote only cost something like 40 bucks. While an ozonics unit cost something like 400 bucks, and it was only an 8 second advantage.

29-Aug-17
Agreed Murphy 31 , They will smell you. You can't be scentless but can be less scented. . Thank goodness , they are not trained dogs. If it gave you several seconds it may be enough to make a shot or not. That is not exactly what you are saying though ...

The best we can hope for is to not stink up a place any more than we must. Just in case you don't connect that day it is less stinky for the eventual passing of a deer. Which to that effect , is an advantage for next time hunting it. More intrusion and surprises are a good way to bugger a spot. It follows that less scent and less concentration of it ,will dissipate towards the un -noticable ,more quickly. You are probably in agreement so I am not directing this at you Murphy , just sounding it out .

I have thought that less molecules per million sends a message to the deer which is interpreted as further off or older scent, for which both have an advantage of not sounding the alarm . Stronger or more often left scent has the other response and will likely educate a mature animal which is all it takes for him to get our number and change his habits . Mature does , same goes.

So where would I find this Ozone for a tote machine ? That sounds like a reasonable investment for the return . 19 to 42 seconds , all other things the same , is 23 more seconds , Ill take it. One more thing , I wonder if a chemical suit could help ? Maybe worn inside out if it only works in one direction . Add a Charcoal filtered mask and we are getting someplace. Brave new Hunter world...

30-Aug-17
I have built up a scent theory over the years... A down wind deer will smell you. Period. Now, you dont know how the currents work precisely, the attitude of that deer or if you are able to minimize your scent to a level that makes the deer think you are 400yds away vs 50 or less for example... I think that's why, at times, we think: "that deer was down wind and never smelled me". My suspicion, is that this belief is confirmation bias. reality is that they didnt smell you because your scent never hit them for other reasons.

Where the scent free thing "shines" in my mind, is the trip in and out. You are brushing up against stuff, walking on the ground etc. While I could be wrong, I feel like working to lessen scent on you and your gear MAY reduce odds of a deer going nuts at your walk in / out trail, or feeling like there is a lot of human intrusion in an area.

That may also be confirmation bias though - but Ill go with it. It makes me feel better, more confident... and that's got value in the deer woods.

30-Aug-17
PI, my thought was pretty much that. 42 seconds could just be enough time to get that deer, and I've spent more 40 bucks over the past few years. Trying remain as scent free as one can. It was the scent purge 50 that they used. Bone view and scent lok also have one.

30-Aug-17
Thanks Murph31 , I have been using Baking soda and evergreen branches in my tote but I don't think it is working like I hoped. Maybe Ultraviolet light would also help as I think it kills germs etc.

Will, I think you are right in your thinking. Regarding " down wind... smell me " I am sure that they do smell us but if it is a diffused / lessened amount it is likely to register as "not an immediate or "close by " threat". Which would give us an advantage over a big stink setting him off . It seems that you agree with that.

Up close is another thing . I experienced something absolute : I was up a tree 20 feet at least. The wind shifted as it does over water sometimes (A Thermal /temperature thing). I felt the wind swirl around my head and down drafting . A doe at 25-30 yards smelled the air when it hit her and froze. She followed in a great arching motion , back to where the wind had come from ,back and to her right /above . She looked back , almost over her shoulder in a long sweeping motion and up into the tree where I though I was safe . Somehow she backtracked the arch of the wind (to the smell and its location ) to me up the tree and not on the ground where it would be reasonable ... It Blew my mind . She didn't bolt but didn't let me move either. That was several years ago but it made a big impression on me.

Another like her, would look up when walking through the woods and she often saw me without the help of scent on the wind ( I know this because several other deer with her didn't react at all , several times) She would drop her head and walked past me with one eye on me . I educated her early on and she learned to do this . She also learned that that big blob in the trees is not a big threat to her because I never moved . But you get the point.

Worthy opponents.

18-Sep-17
So not worth it?

18-Sep-17
Mike, we did go off the rails a bit... im not sure its worth it for hunting, but at least when ive used it for trail cam pics its seemed to be neutral to positive... for 20 bucks its worth a shot.

18-Sep-17
Will. Thanks. I'm basically looking to use them to keep Bucks in the area. I guess it can't hurt.

18-Sep-17
A drip bag is not worth it ,IMO for hunting over but for getting pics in a deep spot it couldn't hurt as Will said. But you can also just pee in it initially and when you go for the card , go again. If used ,hang it high, way up if you can . Nothing will keep them hanging around except nice juicy girl deer's. But if they are there , then there should already be some community scrape somewhere unless it is just a feed spot which is about to change with acorns and the mating season arriving.

I have relocated an overhead "licking branch" with success. Be clean , snip and zip tie to new spot. Dig at the dirt and pee. Add fake prints. They will join in or not . In my experience it always seems to work well to start it and just let it work . No need to tend it . If it gets attention , your job is done until the shot finishes the game.

19-Sep-17
Muzzy, What you said makes a lot of sense to me. I have used all kinds of deer scents and I can count on one hand that it's actually worked but I have had many deer not like what I have put down. Some of the estrus that I have used made the bucks put on the breaks and turn them away only to watch them sneak away. However the ever calm has not done that, but I don't use much of it either. Kind of funny how we talk about trying to be scent free as possible and soon as we walk to our spots put all kinds of so called deer scents on us...lol

19-Sep-17

bowandspear's Link
I am not the most experienced with drippers but a vid watched in 2015 totally changed my thought process on setting up on scrapes. Bill Vale, the J-Hook. If you have not seen it, watch it. Us guys that are/were setting up with shooting distance of scrape are missing a big piece of how a buck is going to approach a scrape and how you should setup to be successful with a dripper on them. I did get busted once last year my own fault for thinking my back was to swamp and he couldn't possibly get behind me to check it... Wrong. I'll let you know when it finally pays off for me .

19-Sep-17
Nice I did not know that,.. will watch others by him..

Thanks B&S

19-Sep-17

Belchertown Bowman's Link
This video by Bill Vale was really nice,.. it struck a cord with me,.. and I bet it will you too..

8 minutes long but if you are not familiar with him,.. warning you will end up watching more like me,..

Thanks again for tipping me off to him

• Sitka Gear