Brun 28-Aug-17
Longcruise 28-Aug-17
JRABQ 29-Aug-17
8pointer 30-Aug-17
cnelk 30-Aug-17
Lee67 30-Aug-17
Nesser 31-Aug-17
28-Aug-17
I have been hunting a spot in the Zirkel Wilderness for 3 years now. During archery, I am hunting the alpine meadows right at treeline, and have really had good success. This year, is my little boys first elk hunt, a first rifle cow tag in the same unit. My question is: Where can we expect to see the elk second week of October? I have never hunted elk this late, so I'm a little worried. Should we stick to the same general areas that I bowhunt? Barring any significant weather events, will the elk tend to stay up pretty high until snow falls?

28-Aug-17
The elk will be up high until either heavy pressure or significant snow pushes them down. I would certainly take a look at the places you have experience and have seen them before. If they are not there I would watch the wind and slowly work the lower meadows and aspen stands at the prime hours of the day. If you find a very promising location, you could set up and wait just like archery season. This would save the boys energy and avoid rushed shots.

28-Aug-17
I agree with RogBow. You should stick with the areas you know. There is really no reason for the elk to move between archery season and 1st rifle. Barring a huge early storm I think you will find them the same places you see them during archery until pressure causes changes. Good luck to your son!

28-Aug-17
I agree. Unless there is a really major weather event they will be in the same place. Even what seems to be a major weather event doesn't really faze them. They seem to know that it will warm up and melt off.

A few cows that weren't bred in September Will be coming into estrus about then and the bulls are very interested in a cow in heat call.

29-Aug-17
Last year I missed a bull on the last day of archery season. I took my granddaughter on the first rifle hunt and she shot a bull no more than 300 yards from same spot, in fact it might have been the same bull. This was about 10,000 ft, and it was a warm Fall.

Good luck!

30-Aug-17
Same areas as rifle season. They will sense no hunters have been in the woods for 2 weeks after archery and may go back to their old patterns of coming out a little early in the meadows.

30-Aug-17
2nd season is when the elk really get stirred up

30-Aug-17
I am bringing my bow in the same week for a cow hunt unit 14 but I have never hunted the Zirkels. My plan was to head in at the north lake trail head past seedhead. Any advice on this area or a better jumping off point would be appreciated.

31-Aug-17
FYI there's a 500 acre fire just above Big Red Park and it sounds like they're gonna let it burn. Access to North Zirkel will be affected

• Sitka Gear