ASCTLC 29-Aug-17
jordanathome 29-Aug-17
Crusader dad 29-Aug-17
jordanathome 29-Aug-17
Glunt@work 29-Aug-17
ASCTLC 29-Aug-17
Bigjay73 29-Aug-17
29-Aug-17
Are otc elk tags unit specific or can we use them in any otc unit? I'm planning on taking my boy out there for two weeks next year.

29-Aug-17

Glunt@work's Link
Any OTC unit. The link is the map from this year, should be the same next year.

29-Aug-17
Good for any OTC unit.

29-Aug-17
Thank you, there seems to be a lot of public in 11,21,22 just west of meeker. I think that's where I'll start my google scouting.

This will be more of an adventure in hopes of my son killing an elk as opposed to a hardcore elk hunt.

29-Aug-17
Thats some neat country but definitely do some research. Those areas during bow season can frustrate folks. Elk are there but its not a "typical" 8000' - 11000' mountain hunt.

29-Aug-17
Glunt, honestly I shouldn't have asked the question this far out but I couldn't help myself with all these elk threads floating around on here.

I've gotten absolutely no work done all day and google has been going full speed. I can't put the damn phone down because I just keep stumbling across more info on different units. In the last couple hrs I think I've changed my mind 10 times and am currently leaning toward 68/681. I also just read a good article by Cameron Hanes about the Sangre de Christo wilderness area which from what I understand would be brutally hard physically for us but has lots of big bulls.

29-Aug-17
I refer to the Sangres as the devil's backbone. Not sure if I would go there on my first elk hunt. What piques your interest in 68/681?

29-Aug-17
Also, the OTC either sex tag and the OTC cow only tag are not exactly the same units.

29-Aug-17
The Sangre de Cristo range is unit 82\86 (west side\east side respectively) on the east side of the valley coming out of Poncha Springs. Where units 68 and 681 are the Saguache units west of the valley floor.

I hunted 82 a number of years and yes, it is brutally steep and rugged.

Hunted 68 and 681 too a couple times and saw elk in both units. A number of people too but people can keep elk moving about some so not all negative with that.

29-Aug-17
Sangre's suck ass.....steep, dry, nasty....not my suggestion for a first hunt. If you have any interest in 77/78 or 34/25......drop me a pm......glad to share. Not that its been great in either I do know some spots that have elk. Problem with 77/78 is the fire a couple years back left alot of scary standing dead timber. My wife and I were afraid to drive back far past Sportsman's for fear of a tree coming done on us or blocking the road. On the other side.....burns are great feed areas for elk.

29-Aug-17
I was interested in the 68/681 area because it seems rugged yet a little easier than Sangre. We love mountain climbing and exploring just as much as bowhunting. The worst area we've ever backpacked through has so far been around slide rock in AZ.

Really we want something tough but that's not going to kill us. I think the altitude will be far worse for us than the hiking.

We will probably only hike in 2-3 miles so that we give ourselves the best chance at packing an elk out without spoilage.

I have a lot of time to research and look at maps as well as glean from you guys before I really have to narrow it down. We will have 8-10 days of archery season next year. If all works as planned we will be able to hit up SD for otc mulies for a few days on the way back home.

I am definitely open to suggestions and really just want to make sure we at least see an elk.

29-Aug-17
Sangres are not a good fit for your plan in my experience. I hate myself but not enough to go back there.

I can just about assure you will see elk in either area I suggested. I admit I didn't see an elk in 34 last season in 13 days or so, but my buddies from MO were there a week and did see elk.....bulls and they had muzzy loader cow tags. Figgers.

I love the spot outside pagosa just because I can run down to the springs mid week and clean up and soak. That is almost better than eating elk.......lol. But there were plenty in the area. We had bulls bugling one morning.....several. Called in one with 2 cows trailing him....it was pretty exciting stuff. I can put the x on the map for ya on that one. No telling what its like now. That was several years past.

29-Aug-17
Don't overlook spots that aren't wilderness but don't have easy access. Some big valleys (most) are all private. Often that boundary is just where it gets steeper across their hay field. Places where you can hike around and then behind these big private chunks can be really good and never show up as a hotspot when guys are researching backpack hunting on Rokslide or similar sites. Often there is a way to get to the top of the mountain from the back side but a lot of work for guys to drop in so these nameless strips can sometimes get very little pressure.

29-Aug-17
Sent you a PM Shane.

29-Aug-17
68 has what you're looking for as far as terrain. You can drive up to altitudes above 11000 ft. Unfortunately, with that kind of access, there's also a lot of people. There's also few areas that are more than 2 miles from any road, so getting away from crowds can be a challenge. Gotta out smart hunters as much as you do the elk.

• Sitka Gear