PushCoArcher 16-Sep-17
BigOk 16-Sep-17
Quailhunter 17-Sep-17
EmbryOklahoma 17-Sep-17
Quailhunter 17-Sep-17
PushCoArcher 17-Sep-17
swampokie 19-Sep-17
29-Aug-17
I was fortunate enough to draw a antelope doe tag for cimarron county in the controlled hunts this year that starts on September 11th. I've talked to the wildlife biologist for the area and have gained access to one ranch in the area I also plan on checking out Rita Blanca wma. If anyone has any insight into the area's conditions, antelope population, or possible properties to gain access to hunt any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

30-Aug-17
No info here but good luck on the hunt. Assuming you are from Pushmataha county you've got quite a drive while still staying in Oklahoma! Be sure to report back. I've always wondered about those antelope hunts.

31-Aug-17
I know a couple of guys who have drawn antelope tags before both had no problem gaining access to land by just knocking on doors and asking. All they can say is no. One guy spotted antelope from road,asked for permission to hunt, an hour later was heading home with lope in his cooler. Good luck!!

31-Aug-17
My brother drew buck tag in 2011. Long drive and a short hunt. Not sure how they've recovered after the drought but I imagine it won't take you long. It's neat country if you've never been there. Black Mesa and there are some dinosaur tracks that used to be marked out there.

31-Aug-17
Thanks for the words of encouragement guy's. I was unable to go up there to scout due to the long drive and work commitments but I'm leaving the 8th so I'll have two full days to scout and knock on doors. Most people I've talked to have said the same that it's not to hard to gain access or find antelope. I took off from the 8th-20th the actual hunt dates are the 11th-20th. I wouldn't mind getting one early then do a little dove hunting make it home early to hang some deer stands and trim the old ones. When I get back I'll post a update and hopefully some grip and grin pics.

01-Sep-17
Push... Are you going bow only?

01-Sep-17
Embry no the bow will be coming along but so will my 270. I have the feeling from what I've been told of the terrain I'll probably end up using the rifle. I'd love to find one in a area right for stalking with my bow but with it being a once in a lifetime tag I'm definitely bringing the rifle for back up.

01-Sep-17
Good choice! Best of luck and post some pics when you get back.

16-Sep-17

PushCoArcher's embedded Photo
PushCoArcher's embedded Photo

16-Sep-17
A successful and fun hunt. I got to Black Mesa campground at 11pm Friday the 8th after a long drive got the camper setup and went to sleep. I spent Saturday and Sunday scouting and saw at least a 100 antelope they are all over the county. I checked out the private property I had permission to hunt as well as Rita Blanca wma and actually found more on the public then the private. I picked a piece of public that had a herd of about 40 on it I found on Sunday and planned to be there in the morning before sun up. On Monday morning I walked into the middle of the section before sun up. About 30 minutes after first light a doe came in from over a mile away. She came in to 320 yards and never got any closer I tried to put the stalk on her but was quickly busted. I then spent the rest of the morning finding the larger herd but when I found them they were on private property in between two sections of public I set up to try and catch them moving onto the public. About 9:30 a small buck came right past me at about 150 yards from the public onto the private to try and steal a doe from the herd I got to watch the buck with the herd run of the runt right past me then come back by at 120 yards headed back to his ladies. The rest of the first day was uneventful. The next morning I was back in the same area I saw antelope early but nothing close except the large group on private. A little before 4 I spotted a doe and buck grazing on a piece of public to my west there was a little dip in the terrain that ran right by them I picked a land mark and headed that way. Once I got near where I thought they would be I headed up the hill out of the dip. As I came over the hill she was right where I'd last seen her I ranged her at 106 yards and settled in for the shot. I put a good hit on her she ran 40 yards a tipped over funny thing was her boyfriend almost refused to leave her letting me get about 50 yards from him before leaving. The rut was in full swing I saw bucks running does all week. Very unique place in the state I saw a ton of antelope, pheasant, mule deer (including two good bucks), and a tarantula luckily didn't run into any rattle snakes. Spent the next 2 days dove hunting on some private ground tons of doves and tons of missing but still a great time.

16-Sep-17
Congrats on a successful hunt.

17-Sep-17
Man, that's great! It is neat country. I've heard mixed reports on quality of pronghorn.. taste... the one my brother killed was very good.

17-Sep-17
Nice job, Will! Congrats on your successful trip.

17-Sep-17
I plan on drawing both antelope and elk in the next two years.....

17-Sep-17
Thanks guys! Quailhunter I'm also hoping to draw the elk tag soon. As for the meat I've only tried the tenderloin and some jerry so far but I can say the tenderloins were as good as any game meat I've ever eaten.

19-Sep-17
Great job! And great eating! I drew Texas county in 2007.

• Sitka Gear