Rut Nut 01-Sep-17
RC 01-Sep-17
Teeton 01-Sep-17
Teeton 01-Sep-17
Phil Magistro 01-Sep-17
Bowhunting 5C 01-Sep-17
30-Aug-17
Me too! : (

So here is your chance to CHANGE this antiquated system! Call, e-mail or write your LEGISLATORS! (They are the only ones who can change this!)

House Bill 231 – Mullery would allow the PGC to sell antlerless licenses on the Pennsylvania Automated Licensing System (PALS), and although the bill passed the House Game & Fisheries Committee it has been tabled several times on the House Calendar when it was up for a full vote.

Urge them to vote on this vital legislation!

30-Aug-17

Rut Nut's Link
Click to find your Senator

30-Aug-17

Rut Nut's Link
Click to find your Representative

30-Aug-17
When writing or calling your Senator or Representative, be polite and be professional. Let them know the Senate or House Bill number you are contacting them about and clearly let them know why you are for or opposed to the bill or issue. Conclude with your name and contact information.

30-Aug-17
They should make it to where you can only get 2 tags for the same WMU. Once you fill the tag & report the kill, you can buy another.

30-Aug-17
Many of you know I had a problem this year,, but what I'd would like to know is can the pals system handle 10000, 20000, or more people putting in at the same time.. You know ,,like on first round, second round third round opening dates. Not every person has a computer also.. This could be a big challenge to make it work with just the pals.

I'd also like to pay about 10 or 15 maybe even more dollars for my general license.. Bob's idea as good as it sounds would cut the number or doe tags sold by 50 or 60%. I would support Bob's idea if we have a general license increase with a cost of live increase add in every year or two. Ed

30-Aug-17
A increase for a doe license is way over due.$10.00 a tag is still a hell of a deal. The first tag should be $10.00 and your second tag should be $20.00. Twenty dollars for a extra turkey tag and $25.00 to hunt pheasants why are doe licenses so cheap. You could cut the number a licenses issued and still make more money. I spend $20.00 on cigars in a week. Two trips for fast food will cost you close to $20.00

30-Aug-17
Lets take one issue at a time, folks! Let's get it on the PALS system FIRST.........................then we can argue about all the other stuff later! ;-) The main thing is to allow the PGC to put it into the PALS system and GET RID OF THE PINK ENVELOPES!!!!!

30-Aug-17

Rut Nut's Link
Ed- NY has been doing everything(including doe tags) by PALS for years! And they have close to 750,000 hunters. (see link)

They use a computer generated lottery for the units that have limited tags. So it doesn't matter when you buy your license- Day 1 or Day 15.................................your odds of drawing a tag in these limited units are the same. Therefore there is no hurry to buy a license on the very first day.

30-Aug-17
If it gets into the PALS System without any controls or limits to the amount of tags you can purchase, a lot of hunters will get shut out completely. plus, there are still hunters without computers and smartphones, they'll be immediately screwed.

30-Aug-17
Bob- the system works the same way as PA. You got to Dick's or Cabela's or the mom and pop store that sells licenses. The computer that generates the lottery is linked to the PALS. It is not the computers at the retailers or people's home computers that determine who gets a doe tag. Therefore anyone has access- you don't even need a PC or Smartphone.

30-Aug-17
I like the way it's done. Where else can I laugh my ass off at adult men, crying about a stupid doe tag?

30-Aug-17
Pink envelopes don't bother me at all. Pretty simple follow directions, send check. Tags always show on time.

30-Aug-17
I have noticed it's mostly the Eastern end of the state that whines the most:) Then they boast about getting 10 tags????

31-Aug-17
Not everyone that hunts uses/has one of these. My father is one. And what about the traditional thing-pink envelopes.

31-Aug-17
Dang Bill- I bet you love to fill out your 10-40 at tax time too! ;-)

Roy- yeah, if PA simplified things then you would get bored and actually have to go out and HUNT! ;-)

hawkeye- I don't follow..................................what does your dad not have/use?

31-Aug-17
hawkeye- I don't follow..................................what does your dad not have/use? He doesn't have a PC, rut butt.

31-Aug-17
Maybe it's just the "pink" thing that's bothering us?

If the envelopes were battleship gray or some other more macho color we wouldn't mind living in the dark ages.

31-Aug-17
I vote for fluorescent orange :)

31-Aug-17
LOL Red! But they could be Realtree Xtra camo and I still wouldn't like them! ;-)

Hawkeye/Roy- Like I said above you DON'T NEED to have a PC! Just go to Dick's or Cabela's or your local sporting goods store- ANYPLACE that sells licenses currently. That's how they do it in NY! Tell them you want a doe tag for a certain unit when you buy your general license. If the unit is limited, you may or may not walk out with a doe tag(depending on the draw). If the unit has plenty of tags, you walk out with one. Simple as that! Everything is done ON THE SPOT. No dates to keep track of, no forms or envelopes to fill out, no stamps to put on and no relying on the competence/customer service of the County Treasurer and US postal service!

31-Aug-17
I know that rutty boy, but ole hawkeye missed that part. He shoots a stick bow ya gotta remember:)

31-Aug-17
I like it the way it is. I like the blank stares on non-residents faces when I explain what that person has to do to get an antlerless tag. I also enjoy the fact that the younger generation has something to b**** and whine about when trying to figure out how to write a check, sounding just like the 'more experienced' generation trying to use a smart phone.

31-Aug-17
Rut Nut, that proposed plan makes perfect sense and is how it should be. Nobody hoping to draw a tag should be reliant on how fast a county treasurer employee processes envelopes. Although I have never had 1 negative pink envelope experience in over 30 years. The technology is there, as it is basically how they handle the elk draw.

31-Aug-17
I have hunted six other states. Their license issuing was easily understood and simple to follow for the non resident.

We Pennsylvanians think chaos is normal and don't usually have a problem. But, it is time to update the antiquated doe tag system as well as most of our regulations.

Just breathe. One step at a time. We can do this.

31-Aug-17
Nothing else to complain about today I guess. Envelopes? Not really that big of a deal and I like the tradition. If I can't take 15 minutes to fill out and stamp a couple of envelopes then I probably don't have time to hunt either.

31-Aug-17
Helps to weed out the lazy guys anyway leaving many more tags for us "hogs" as McArthur likes to call everyone that enjoys having more than two tags in their pocket.

31-Aug-17
No reason to fret. Those of you who have such an attachment to the antiquated system could conceivably continue to mail the pink envelopes while those of us who aren't stuck in the 20th century could take care of it in less than a minute at our desks.

31-Aug-17
I guess I just forgot what state I live in- PA. Where people do stuff NOT because it MAKES SENSE, just because THAT"S THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT! (TRADITION ;-)

31-Aug-17
How do you guys feel about Sunday hunting in PA?

31-Aug-17
Let's tackle one stupid law at a time, Josh! ;-)

31-Aug-17
LOL Rut Nut. Thanks for the help Roy.

31-Aug-17
And the Palongbow parrot squawks again.

01-Sep-17
"I guess I just forgot what state I live in- PA. Where people do stuff NOT because it MAKES SENSE, just because THAT"S THE WAY WE HAVE ALWAYS DONE IT! (TRADITION ;-)"

That sums it up pretty well.

01-Sep-17
Which is most likely to occur first:

A) Legalize Sunday hunting

B) Modernize the pink envelope system

C) Privatize the liquor system

D) Cost $100 to drive the PA turnpike end to end

This is PA folks, the answer is friggin D of course which is all the more remarkable because A and C may well be illegal if challenged properly in court.

01-Sep-17
I like being 'stuck in the 20th Century'. It makes me feel like I'm separated from the modern, technological wizards that could screw up a junk yard with a rubber hammer. Modern isn't always better...it's just quicker, but I suspect it wouldn't help since the whiner's would just focus on something else...with all that extra time on their hands. The 21st century brought with it the 'me' generation.

01-Sep-17
And now it's complete.

01-Sep-17
George- it's not just that it is quicker! It just doesn't make any sense anymore! The PGC switched to WMU's how many years ago? Yet we still have to apply (by mail)(by paper) to county treasurers. They should be focusing on the day to day tasks they are responsible for in their county- not sorting thru thousands of doe tag applications! Especially when it could be done so easily by computer like in how many other states???!!!

01-Sep-17
How's your truck running, George? How about that oil/gas furnace? Ya like your microwave oven too?

LOL

01-Sep-17
How much of the doe tag cost goes the each county? I know some does, but I don't know how much.

01-Sep-17
If the county gets a cut. Could be a great way to ask the county that gets a cut of hunters dollars to open up county land/parks to hunting. I know Lackawanna county has a park thats over 800acres less than 100 is used, the other is all woods.. How about county parks with a designated area with an archery range, again paid from hunter dollars. Only ideas at this time.

01-Sep-17
$1 I believe.

01-Sep-17
Elk: I say D... We will never see Sunday hunting since "tradition" would take a back seat towards forward thinking...

• Sitka Gear