writer 06-Sep-17
Griever 06-Sep-17
Shawn 06-Sep-17
Mad_Angler 07-Sep-17
BeardsAndBones 07-Sep-17
Hoytman84 07-Sep-17
keepemsharp 07-Sep-17
05-Sep-17
Hi all, I've been browsing the forums for a while and figured I'd sign up and introduce myself. My name's Robert and I used to hunt on the Missouri side growing up with family. Got interested in girls and stopped hunting, moved to Kansas when I meet my wife and we've lived in Olathe for the last 10 years now.

Last year I got the itch again to hunt (never really lost it but it got too much to scratch) and me and a buddy got into hunting. As a teen I always rifle hunted but now I want to bow hunt so I bought a used Hoyt and started going.

We hit Hillsdale wildlife area as much as we could, shift work can make it hard sometimes. Never got one last year but we seen quite a few. Hillsdale didn't seem very busy with hunters but that could just be a combo of hunting archery vs rifle and we also go way back into the thick of things.

I'm excited for this year and hopefully I can keep them from spotting me and bag one. Even without getting one last year it was great finally be back in it. Look forward to talking with everyone and seeing where you all are from. Happy hunting

06-Sep-17
Robert I hope you have a fantastic hunting season. Stick with it and sooner or later luck will shine on you. I live in the Lebo area just East of Emporia.

06-Sep-17
Thanks for introducing yourself, and not coming on just to beg a hunting spot. Bowhunting is largely about the experience more than the kill. You probably found that out. I'd rather bowhunt during the rut and not get a buck than shoot one with a rifle as it feeds on wheat field later. Every time you hunt, you're learning more and more, and getting just that much closer to your first bowkill. It's a heck of a rush the first time you get to full draw on a buck, trust me. I'd suggest you not be too picky, and realize any animal taking with a bow is a trophy.

06-Sep-17
Thanks for the replies guys.

writer- I remember my first buck with a rifle when I was around 15 and I could only image what it'll be like with a bow. And right now I'm more worried about filling my fridge than hanging a trophy so I won't be picky at all. Maybe after I'll look for the big buck

06-Sep-17
Michael gives great advise. Shoot deer, any deer it gives you experience and each one is different so just enjoy those experiences. Best of luck and let us know how you do! Shawn

07-Sep-17
I'm taking up elk hunting. Folks say that the way to learn to kill elk is by killing elk. So I am going to shoot the first legal one that gives me a good shot.

I suggest that you take the same approach with bow killing deer. And remember, what you kill will be you biggest bow kill. next year, you can try to get a bigger one if you want.

07-Sep-17
You sound a lot like me.. I'm not holding out for a big buck, we just like the healthy food. I've got a stack of either sex tags from years gone by. I did however put three does in the freezer and we still have some left. Whatever you do make sure you have fun and don't get caught up in the inches game! Good luck this year, my only advice is to not take any shot you don't feel comfortable taking, tracking an injured deer sucks

07-Sep-17
Mad, I did the same thing a few years back on my first CO elk hunt. It was a blast and I had the same intention like you did and shot the first legal bull. I don't regret that one bit and I felt like I learned a bunch on that initial outing. There hasn't been a more accomplished feeling in my hunting career than that so far. Funny thing was, after tagging him, I helped a few buddy's hunt the same area and we were able to see some nicer bulls and potentially could have shot a really good one for OTC unlimited, but the process is about learning and I felt like that was a great way to go so I think you have the right idea. Now I would love to go back with a little better knowledge and try to hold out for something and eat tag soup if needed. Good luck Griever and all others hitting the woods this fall.

07-Sep-17
Enjoy the hunt and have a good time, as your beard gets grey you realize all the high dollar trophies on your wall won't mean much to your close ones when you are gone, Enjoy the ride and kill whenever you can, dave.

• Sitka Gear