kentuckbowhnter 11-Sep-17
kentuckbowhnter 11-Sep-17
yooper89 12-Sep-17
ColoBull 13-Sep-17
MichaelArnette 16-Sep-17
GF 21-Sep-17
Quinn @work 21-Sep-17
06-Sep-17
So I understand public land is for everyone, but I couldn't believe a fellow hunter's behavior this past weekend. While hunting an unfamiliar, but easily accessible location because of a time crunch our group of 4 split in pairs. My buddy and I ran into another hunter coming out of the timber. Talked to him for a little then telling him while pointing that our two buddies are down that way and we are going to meet them somewhere over there. He tells us he is going to the wallow which I tell him I don't know where that is. We say good luck and he walks in the opposite direction. Well, my two other buddies found the wallow and were sitting on it. Well, the same hunter I ran into goes down to the wallow, sees my buddies, acknowledges them with a head nod, then proceeds to walk 10 yards between them and the wallow, turn his back to them and sits on the wallow. All they could say was "Really?" We couldn't believe it. Well, they ended up just getting up and walking away, not wanting any kind of confrontation. I know you can't claim stake of public land, but damn have some courtesy for another hunter. I'm sure that happens more often that I would like to think, but it still sucks!

06-Sep-17
Really sucks what a moron!

06-Sep-17
Yea some people have no respect of values. It sucks when people are like that

06-Sep-17
Man I think that would just make me have to take a leak?!

06-Sep-17
Next time any of you go by that wallow, leave a little #2 present right where he likes to sit covered with pine needles, etc.

A guy that just does something wrong due to inexperience can be nudged the right way with a friendly hint. Guys like this guy probably are not open to change so you might as well have good story out of the deal.

06-Sep-17
Four of you and one punk. Do the math.

06-Sep-17
Four of you and one punk. Do the math.

06-Sep-17
I think My buddy and I would have just moved up and sat on either side of him - real close beside him. I think he'd get the message. No confrontation. Just the three of us hunting public land.

06-Sep-17
I think My buddy and I would have just moved up and sat on either side of him - real close beside him. I think he'd get the message. No confrontation. Just the three of us hunting public land.

07-Sep-17
He was an older man stuck in his ways. I really did start thinking about taking a leak though.

07-Sep-17
Amazing how many of these jerks there are in this world. They don't get it. Ethical sportsman education should be required. Most likely he pushes his wife nd kids around, and anyone else that will let him. Bet if you stand your ground he will slink away. Wonder what his political affiliation is.....

07-Sep-17
It's not just the younger generation that thinks they have entitlement, these types are everywhere. I would have moved off just up the trail from the wallow and set up there to intercept anything coming to the wallow. He got to sit at the wallow, you got to sit the trail leading to it :)

09-Sep-17
Dan V-Older male hunter-99.99% chance he is a republican. Seriously? What does it matter?

11-Sep-17
i would have walked over and taken a dump right next to him and asked him how his day was going.

11-Sep-17
i would have walked over and taken a dump right next to him and asked him how his day was going.

11-Sep-17

12-Sep-17
the "would've" folks crack me right up

13-Sep-17
Same here. Not to defend the guy's behavior, but maybe, just maybe, he had been sitting that wallow for decades, and has a story about the 2 new guys who moved in on "his" spot this year. He certainly could have handled it better. I could see that happening to us eventually, although no one has ever had the fortitude or smarts to hunt where we go. I'll likely be disappointed, too, when & if someone moves in on "our" area. I won't be pulling ANY of the kind of stunts described, but that's just me.

16-Sep-17
It's his wallow just as much as your buddies...it would've been more courteous for him to leave but you can't count on that when you're hunting public.

21-Sep-17
Could be worse. Out here, people think they can stake a season-long claim to a spot by hanging a stand.

21-Sep-17
I gave up public land OTC elk hunting 10 years ago. For a small fee you can find private land to hunt DIY and not have to deal with this.

What finally made me call it quits was hiking opening day into a spot 2.5 hours uphill in the dark that I had hunted successfully for 10 years and it had continued to get worse up until then. At day break I cow called in a hunter with an arrow nocked to 40 yards in some god awful terrain that I thought I was the only one crazy enough to be there. I proceeded to see 11 other bowhunters in there that day and vowed at that time to find something better even if it cost a few bucks. So glad that experience happened. Now we hunt a great piece of private where the elk act like elk and we don't have to worry about others hunting them in their beds, etc. Sometimes it's worth spending a little bit of that hard earned money to do what you enjoy the most and eliminate the frustrations associated with OTC elk hunting. It has been for me and my crew. JMHO.

• Sitka Gear