LTG 11 15-Sep-17
fenceman 17-Sep-17
TwoDogs@work 18-Sep-17
BeardsAndBones 18-Sep-17
BeardsAndBones 18-Sep-17
BeardsAndBones 18-Sep-17
Habitat1 18-Sep-17
08-Sep-17
I generally purchase all my hunting/fishing licenses and tags at the local KDWP&T office to avoid having to deal with folks that do not sell them on a daily basis- do not know what to do with the license sales.

For years, they have asked for me to disclose my telephone number, email address and my SS # to update my personal info on the file they have on all of us. I have always politely declined to divulge such information. I've explained to them that I do not wish to be contacted via phone calls and emails, I do not appreciate having my private unlisted phone number and private email address accessible to any one smart enough to know how to access their PUBLIC records. I have always refused to give out my SSN to anyone that is not my employer, or involved in my financial matters. It is my federal tax ID number, it is for SSA administration, it is for financial/credit confirmation. It is not to be used for general ID purposes.

After the 1st of the year, I went in to renew my hunting and fishing licenses. I had quite a discussion/debate with a temporary clerk working the front desk. She printed off a sheet of paper that KDWP&T had prepared to give to outdoors people like myself that refused to give up my SSN to obtain licensing. It stated a law had been passed by the legislature to require the SSN to buy licenses in an attempt to prevent dead beat parents from being able to buy hunting and fishing licenses when they owed back child support. She informed me that I would have to give up my SSN, because by Kansas law, it was required. I told her by Federal law, I was not required to give her my SSN, and that also by federal law, she was not able to deny me services by me refusing. She refused to accept the fact that Federal Law over rules State laws. I suggested she call Pratt or Topeka to see if that was right or not. Pratt licensing confirmed I did not have to give them my SSN.

Fast forward to this last week. I went in to the same office to buy a HIP stamp to be able to hunt doves on my days off. They had a new clerk working there, a sweet young lady that went to school with my kids. She asked for current license to access my account, then asked me for my phone number and my SSN to update my file. Again I declined to provide the information. She said the new licensing system required it to go further into the process. I explained to her why I would not submit the numbers. She asked an experienced clerk for direction on the matter. She too went the printer to print off the sheet of paper explaining the newer Kansas law, I told them I had seen the print out to save a tree and not waste the paper to print another. I suggested they call Pratt again, I was not budging on the matter. Again Pratt told them how to proceed without obtaining the info. The experienced clerk stated everyone has a SSN and it was common practice to use it as an ID#. I reminded her how identity theft didn't use to be issue and how common it is these days, that I did not trust them to keep my information secure especially when the folks Walmart and other department stores had working for them had access to their system.

Just so you know- "Section 7 of the Privacy Act (found at 5 U.S.C. § 552a note (Disclosure of Social Security Number)) provides that: “It shall be unlawful for any Federal, State or local government agency to deny to any individual any right, benefit, or privilege provided by law because of such individual’s refusal to disclose his social security account number.”  Sec. 7(a)(1).

08-Sep-17
Good information.

Thanks.

Do you know who they talked to in Pratt?

08-Sep-17
Maybe just give them your information like everyone else? I'm 42 and I've been in the system forever, never get phone calls or emails just the occasional survey. This is similar to guys who conceal carry 24/7 because they think the world is such a violent place. It must be horrible walking around constantly worrying about someone stealing your social or thinking everyone is going to rob you. I know I'm poking the bear here but there's no reason to be so paranoid :)

08-Sep-17
Randy:

I went to the Emporia office yesterday and apparently the same young lady waited on me (she was obviously new). I purchased my $42.50 combo hunting and fishing license (I turned 65 last week), my "Archery" permit, an antlerless tag, Prairie Chicken stamp, and Hip stamp. I was not ask any of those questions. Perhaps it was because of your earlier contact with the office, or perhaps they already have this information of file and choose not to try and update it.

08-Sep-17
Beards it sucks to have your credit hacked and anything that you can do to not have it happen you need to do it.

08-Sep-17
Lee- perhaps she didn't ask because she has been shown how to get around the "required update".

Expected a response from a member of the herd, it did not take long.

08-Sep-17
I agree but this is a little extreme, probably should stop driving too.. people get killed on the road every day

08-Sep-17
I agree but this is a little extreme, probably should stop driving too.. people get killed on the road every day

09-Sep-17
i'm not an extremist, but I don't give ANYONE my SS#. anyone who does is asking for future problems.

13-Sep-17
Who cares? My philosophy is, "Who needs protection? You're only in Haiti once."

13-Sep-17
When we bought my daughters it asked for drivers license number,I haven't had that happen before

13-Sep-17
http://www.chicagotribune.com/business/ct-how-to-freeze-your-credit-equifax-20170911-story.html

I recently had to get a new debit/credit card from my bank. My card provider security company actually called me to inquire about several purchases.. somehow, someone in vegas was able to make 3 purchases with my card number. They started with a small test for about $25 ..once it went thru, they made 2 other transactions for cash totalling about $500. I was reimbursed, the card frozen, had to wait nearly 2 weeks to get a new card and pin id. Identity theft is real..i have no idea if the bank tried to catch the perp, via cameras in the store where the transactions took place.. when talking to my bank,..i was told that they had lost over $30k to date due to the same fraud. I have no idea how or who might have got my cc number.. was it due to an online purchase, an over the phone purchase, or did someone here steal my number when i payed with my card?? Some kind of scanner?

I dont even give my zipcode to someone since...

13-Sep-17

z hunter's Link
Link attachment here...Experian had a huge data breach

13-Sep-17
I also had a credit card that was recently used in Las Vegas. ZHunter, they did like they did with yours. A$6.00 purchase in a store, followed by their attempt to purchase gas. The second purchase was declined (obviously the card issuer smelled a rat). I assume they tried the small purchase to see if they could get a transaction to go through and then tried a larger purchase. I am glad this was on a credit card that I seldom use, instead of my debit card, as it had to be cancelled and a new card issued.

13-Sep-17
If this prevents parents who owe back support from spending money on hunting and fishing then I'm all for it. Too many deadbeats out there refuse to pay what is owed but spend money on expensive hobbies. The employees at say, Walmart, don't have access to your SS number.. they ask for either social or kdwpt number which is only to access your account in the system. I know my kdwpt number from the days before isportsman when we had to fill out paper permits so I give them that. They type it in as you read it off, same with ss number. The only way the employee would get your number is if they wrote it down or could memorize it.

I'm not saying identity theft isn't real, but the "sweet young lady" who was hassled and made to call Pratt probably isn't a threat. Chances are she's just trying to make some extra money for bills. She probably has one kid with soccer practice at six, one with football at seven, a PTO meeting at seven thirty, a husband who drinks too much, and no clue what's for supper tonight. She doesn't give two $hits about your social number.

Our social security numbers are all over out there.. every account we pay online has our social. My wife and I pay everything either online or over the phone. I literally can't remember the last time I wrote a check. It's convenient but yes it has risks, the lady at Walmart just trying to get through her shift is not a threat. Arguing how federal law trumps state law is pointless. Technically it does, but the feds aren't arresting anyone in CO for selling or possessing weed are they? States have the right to make their own laws and regulations.

14-Sep-17
B&B, I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to you, but I will.

You obviously failed to comprehend that I gave the KDWPT staff my KDWPT ID#, not a lady at Walmart. That account has all they need to know about me, name, address, and that I have completed the Kansas Hunter Safety program when I was in 5th grade.

The sweet young lady will tell you she wasn't hassled, doesn't think any less of me, and that she fully understands why I would not give her the number. I never said she was threat, I have no worries about either of the ladies working at the Emporia office using my SSN illegally. I do have a problem with KDWP&T wanting or having my SSN used as an ID # on their web system. The real threat is from the thieves that are constantly looking for access to such websites, they can and will get by any security measure installed, have proven time and time again they can do so.

How many laws does it take to track down dead beat parents? Is it not against the law to fail to abide by the orders of the court? Are they not issuing arrest warrants for those that fail to pay, arresting them, and putting people in jail for failing to pay child support? Do Kansas courts garnish wages of deadbeat parents at their jobs? Do you really believe KDWP&T asking for your SSN was started to address back child support? If you work in Kansas, the State of Kansas already has all your personal information including where you live and work (unless you are working tax free illegally). The Court Systems that would deem a parent a deadbeat are run by the State of Kansas. The State already has access to all the additional information being requested to "update your KDWP&T acct. to keep deadbeat parents from being able to purchase hunting and fishing licenses".

I hope for your family's sake you don't lose everything being so blasé about protecting your credit and finances.

15-Sep-17
zhunter and twodogs, I would be interested to know if you had purchased any of the raffle tickets for the Nevada super raffles. I purchased some a couple of years ago and had the same thing happen. My card was used in Vegas after that. I was in Kansas City at the time for work. My bank caught it. I did file a report with the LV PD but I a sure it went no where.

15-Sep-17
I agree with you about not wanting your SS# everywhere. But I hope you pay cash for everything if you're that concerned.

The mag strip on your credit or debit cards contains your name, address, dob, and ss# as well as various other info. That information travels across the country every time you swipe. Just FYI.

17-Sep-17
Beards and Bones, just wait until someone uses your identity to file a false tax return. After you stay on the phone for several hours, and spend time going to one of their offices not close to your house, and then the wait for them to get it figured out, you probably won't be flapping you jaws so readily. Consider yourself lucky no Id theft has happened to you, and pray it doesn't.

18-Sep-17
HPD: To the best of my knowledge I never purchased anything from Nevada. I very seldom use the card. I may have purchased a couple of things on line. Other than that I used it once in a while for gas in Kansas, Missouri, or Colorado. I should note that I got an email from the card issuer asking if I had made the purchases. I called the issuer and everything was corrected. The card was cancelled and a new one issued.

18-Sep-17
You guys are worried about giving your social once to the kdwpt but I bet you don't pay cash for everything. Do you ever go to the doctor? Pharmacy? Do you trust the bank employees that have your account numbers at the ready? Ever paid the bill at a restaurant and the waitress disappeared with your card? Right checks for all bills and mail them? Everybody uses credit or debit cards for purchases, unless your my grandma. Gas, restaurants, online bill pay, everything is done electronically today. By millions of people. But your worried about the Kansas Dept of Wildlife having your number that's not even accessible to employees?

Trebarker I used Walmart as an example, don't bash my reading comprehension when you can't even do it yourself. It doesn't matter if you drive to Pratt or the nearest Walmart, it's the same system on every computer. I gave my social probably twenty years ago to them and haven't had to give it since. They have no way to see my number once in the system. And those that owe child support aren't always arrested. Sure they'll garnish wages if the person gets a job but a lot of these people work odd jobs for cash and don't report it. These people should not be spending money on expensive tags and permits. I work closely with a lady who's baby daddy owes over 20k in support and the court system does nothing about it. She's spent thousands on getting him to pay up and finally gave up because it was costing her so much. This guy should not be out there hunting and fishing. Its one more way to try and get these guys to pay up and I think it's great.

I'm 42 years old and have had a credit card since I was 18. I now have probably six cards and pay literally everything electronically.. utility bills, truck payments, mortgage, everything. I buy things online all the time, Amazon, ebay, numerous websites, I even buy Bitcoin from my checking account and pay that way too. Do you even know what that is? I didn't think so. Never had a problem. You guys probably spend money on Lifelock too don't you?

18-Sep-17
I'll save you a call to Pratt, I googled "kdwpt social security", it literally took two minutes and is the first link

http://ksoutdoors.com/License-Permits/About-Social-Security-Number

18-Sep-17

BeardsAndBones's Link
If you don't know how to copy and paste

18-Sep-17
It's not a matter of if,it's a matter of when.My daughter got her debit card number swiped at applebees the best we can tell and they used it to buy a computer from Best buy,had it delivered to a handicapped lady in Dodge City that said a guy had contacted her to set up the deal and he would pick up packages every once in awhile.She had a debit card just a few months.

• Sitka Gear