COGunmoney 11-Sep-17
Glunt@work 11-Sep-17
trackman 18-Sep-17
kentuckbowhnter 18-Sep-17
Glunt@work 18-Sep-17
Ermine 18-Sep-17
wkochevar 18-Sep-17
08-Sep-17
I know mountain lion season won't start for a few more months but I would like to get information now so I can start planning a hunt. Have any of you hunted cats without dogs? Any tips, thoughts, ideas? I live in Northern Colorado and would like to keep my hunt near the North Front Range if possible, preferably no further West than Walden and not South of I-70 (in order to be able to concentrate more time on it). I'm very familiar with the Estes Park/Fort Collins/Loveland and Boulder areas, so that would be ideal, however I've never seen a Lion in CO, despite being born/raised here and spending many days/nights in the outdoors, so I'm kind of starting at the beginning. Any help would be appreciated.

08-Sep-17
http://www.rain-shadow.com/prod03.htm

info here

09-Sep-17
From what I've heard, calling may be your best bet without dogs.

09-Sep-17
Thanks for your feedback guys. I might email my local cpw officer as well.

11-Sep-17
hunting mountain lions with dogs seems like just about the least sporting thing one can do. id never hunt a lion, but my hat is off to you for not using dogs.

11-Sep-17
I've been after lions with a friends dogs several days and they always ended up with no lion, tracking down lost dogs and complete exhaustion. Obviously sometimes it works well, just never the days I was there. On the other hand, I have killed a lot of other big game species where it was just a short walk from the road and releasing an arrow or pulling the trigger on a critter that never knew I was there or that he was in danger.

18-Sep-17
Gunmoney You should go on a lion hunt if you think it not sporting (if you can keep up)

18-Sep-17
so i guess hunting quail with dogs is not sporting either.

18-Sep-17
Worse than that, I hear hunters wait until it's mating season and then imitate a female elk. The male elk drop their guard due to their uncontrollable urge to breed and approach what they think is a female. Then the hunters use primitive weapons to fatally wound the elk which might go 100 or more yards before dying from its injuries.

We need to be careful what we label as unsporting or unethical. Just about any type of hunting can be portrayed negatively.

18-Sep-17
Grant,

Try it before you knock it. Can be one of the toughest and most physically demanding hunts out there. Just because your using dogs does not guarantee a treed cat. A lot of factors at play. Very exhausting hikes

18-Sep-17
Anyone that says hunting cats with dogs is unsportsmanlike like has never done it and needs to educate themselves before making foolish statements. One of the most challenging hunts you will do with small percentage of success. even with dogs. Many take 2-3 week long trips to get it done and many unit quotas go unfilled every year. My cat came after 14 days of trying.... Without dogs, I'm guessing a lot of luck is involved

• Sitka Gear