drslyr 23-Sep-17
soapdish 12-Oct-17
Ace 25-Oct-17
spike78 25-Oct-17
bigbuckbob 25-Oct-17
notme 25-Oct-17
bigbuckbob 25-Oct-17
08-Sep-17
I've read a couple of posts today on FB saying there has been groups of dead deer found in the Portland/Middletown area near water sources and DEEP says it's EHD. Has anybody heard or scene anything?

08-Sep-17

rix102's embedded Photo
rix102's embedded Photo
I answered my own question. I just found this. If it's EHD that will suck.

08-Sep-17
never heard anything in past about EHD in CT, but that doesn't mean it's out of the question. Could also be someone throwing out some household chemicals and put it near/in the pond.

08-Sep-17
From everything I know which isn't much. EHD is caused by midges which are prevalent around water during times of drought. We haven't had a dry summer so I would be surprised if it were EHD. Plus I can't believe it would jump from the Midwest over several states to Ct. IMHO but I am no expert

08-Sep-17

Ace's embedded Photo
Ace's embedded Photo

08-Sep-17
A recently-discovered die-off of several deer in the Portland area MAY be due to hemorrhagic disease, which is one of the most important infectious diseases affecting white-tailed deer. The cause of death could not definitively be determined due to the condition of the dead animals, but the manner in which the deer were found led DEEP biologists to suspect that hemorrhagic disease may be the cause. The DEEP Wildlife Division is encouraging anyone who observes deer appearing emaciated, behaving strangely, or lying dead along the edge of waterbodies to report the information to the DEEP’s 24-hour emergency Dispatch Center at 860-424-3333 or the DEEP Wildlife Division at 860-418-5921. The department is seeking to test other dead deer to confirm the suspicion that hemorrhagic disease is the cause. Hemorrhagic disease does not infect humans, and rarely causes illness in domestic animals. More details are at https://go.usa.gov/xRFyu

08-Sep-17
Shity I hope it didn't move around. They should allow a kill zone so it doesn't spread

08-Sep-17
Does it spread from deer to deer if one has the virus or do they have to drink the affected water source.

08-Sep-17
Does it spread from deer to deer if one has the virus or do they have to drink the affected water source.

08-Sep-17
Maybe Doc can chime in and add to this or correct me, but the disease is spread by insect bite (from a midge). It does NOT spread from deer to deer, or from deer drinking bad water. The deer have to be bitten by the infected midges in order to get the disease. The biting flies with the virus can NOT infect humans or pets. Pretty sure the flies all die off after the first frost. I'm pretty sure the diseased deer seek out water due to the internal bleeding the disease causes, just like wounded deer will often do.

For what it's worth, they still have not confirmed that the deer in this story died from EHD.

11-Sep-17

Dr. Williams's Link
N8tureBoy. You are correct that Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease is caused by an Orbivirus spread by midges aka “no-see-ums” of the genus Culicoides. While it is not transmitted from deer to deer in the water supply, it is transmitted between deer to deer by the midges. It’s like deer ticks; they obtain the pathogen from an infected host, and then when they feed on an uninfected host, can transmit the pathogen to that one. White-tailed deer are extremely susceptible to EHD and obviously it can kill them. While outbreaks are common and can be large, because it kills the deer, the transmission cycle is broken and the outbreak will eventually subside, particularly after the frost kills all the midges. Here is a good link from a very reputable source. Hopefully the outbreak in Portland is over. The DEEP likely suspects EHD based on the number of animals dead and their proximity to water, but I think the animals were too far gone to obtain any decent samples from them.

11-Sep-17
The biting fly things were really bad this year

11-Sep-17
We had this happen on our lease 4 Years ago in Kentucky. 6-8 Deer dead around the watering hole on our property. It seemed most were nice size Bucks.

They rebounded quickly as we haven't seen anything since.

14-Sep-17
How did this thread drop off the top of the list. It should be number 1 everyday of the week. If this is true we are in for big trouble boys.

14-Sep-17
Cause it has nothing to do with ticks ..sooooo no doc..i guess

15-Sep-17
Look 4 posts up V. I’m here. But EHD pops up every now and then and then fades away. It’s not like CWD where when it’s here, it persists for a while. Situation normal. Carry on.

15-Sep-17
Doc - thanks for the information, very educational.

15-Sep-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
No wonder nothins walkin by. They's all dead. Just found this one.

15-Sep-17
What town drslyr

16-Sep-17
Didnt see you up there doc, sorry...informative stuff,explain in normal people language...is this something that the deer already have in them and needs the midge to mutate it or the other way around?.. how does it affect dogs?

16-Sep-17

N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
Midge bites Moose
N8tureBoy's embedded Photo
Midge bites Moose
Doesn't affect dogs or humans. Midge bites infected deer, then spreads disease to the other deer it bites afterwards.

I searched online to see what a "Midge" looks like, and this is what I found ...

16-Sep-17
Archie comics?

17-Sep-17
yes. I don't remember her but photos don't lie

17-Sep-17
I think its from the new revised politicaly correct archies..junk!!!

21-Sep-17

drslyr's embedded Photo
drslyr's embedded Photo
Another a few hrs. from death. check out her swollen tongue I cant believe not many are that worried about this.

21-Sep-17
How the hell can you see her tongue in that pic?

21-Sep-17
They just get a fever and go to water to cool down. Then die. I don't think they swell up. It's internal bleeding and fever.

23-Sep-17
Pat the one deer we found in Maromas. The other we didn't find dead yet.

12-Oct-17
Found it

25-Oct-17

Ace's Link
An update:

2017 Press Release

October 25, 2017

DEEP Reports Small Die-off in Local White-tailed Deer Herd Hemorrhagic disease confirmed in Middletown deer

Since early September, the Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP) Wildlife Division has documented in more than 50 white-tailed deer exhibiting symptoms associated with Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHDV-6), primarily in the towns of Middletown and Portland, with a few in Chester, Haddam, and Lyme.

EHDV-6 is transmitted to deer by tiny biting flies (midges). Although the virus has also been detected in other mammals, including mule deer, elk, and domestic cattle, white-tailed deer represent 95% of the affected animals. Once infected, the disease progresses rapidly with deer exhibiting symptoms that include swollen head, neck, tongue, or eyelids with a bloody discharge from the nasal cavity; ulcers on the tongue; and hemorrhaging of the heart and lungs followed by death within three to five days. The virus also creates high feverish conditions, causing infected deer to sometimes be found in or near water sources.

Concern over hemorrhagic disease should not limit hunter willingness to harvest deer during the hunting season. The disease does not infect humans, and people are not at risk by eating venison from or handling infected deer, or by being bitten by infected midges. The disease rarely causes illness in domestic animals, such as cattle, sheep, goats, horses, dogs, and cats. However, hunters are advised to exercise caution if they observe a deer that is behaving abnormally or appears sick and avoid shooting, handling, or consuming that animal. When field dressing deer, hunters should wear latex or rubber gloves and disinfect any instruments that come in contact with the animal.

The DEEP Wildlife Division first learned of several dead deer in the Portland/Middletown area from a concerned hunter. The reported deer were in various stages of decay with some lying along the river bank, while others were floating in the water. On October 15, 2017, the DEEP received confirmation from the Southeastern Cooperative Wildlife Disease Study group that a deer from Middletown tested positive for Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease Virus 6 (EHDV-6).

Prior to 2004, only two subtypes of Hemorrhagic Disease were documented in North America (EHDV-1, 2). EHDV-6 was first detected in 2006 in Indiana and Illinois, and has since been reported throughout the Midwest, and from Florida, North Carolina, and Maryland.

Outbreaks of hemorrhagic disease routinely occur during late summer and early fall as the number of midges increase, and ceases with the onset of a hard frost, which kills the midges carrying the virus. Although temperatures have dipped into the upper 30’s along the Connecticut River in recent days, a hard frost has not occurred.

The DEEP is encouraging anyone who observes deer appearing emaciated, behaving strangely, or lying dead along the edge of waterbodies to report the information, along with the closest address, to the DEEP’s 24-hour Emergency Dispatch Center at 860-424-3333, the DEEP Wildlife Division at 860-418-5921, or send an email to [email protected].

Additional information about hemorrhagic disease can be found at: http://vet.uga.edu/population_health_files/briefs/2017_JUL_SCWDS_Briefs_Newsletter.pdf

http://vet.uga.edu/population_health_files/2015_OCT_SCWDS_Briefs.pdf

25-Oct-17
Funny they tell you that eating them is ok but then say don't eat them further down the article.

25-Oct-17
Heard this reported on the news during lunch today. Said it was due to the dry summer causing a high midge count.

25-Oct-17
Typical deep warning..dont worry use caution!!!!

25-Oct-17
DEEP reports a large sink hole in Redding. They say it's not a problem as long as you don't step in it. Use caution. (could that be where are all of the deer are going? In the hole?) :)

• Sitka Gear