DaleHajas 24-Dec-17
RC 24-Dec-17
Rut Nut 24-Dec-17
horsethief51 24-Dec-17
RC 24-Dec-17
Red Beastmaster 24-Dec-17
horsethief51 24-Dec-17
09-Sep-17
My brother-in-law just had shoulder surgery and is looking for an easy pull compound bow since he has to be extra careful he doesn't re-injure it. He'd rather not switch to a crossbow. Any suggestions?

09-Sep-17
The initial pull on a compound still has to get past its peak weight before it relaxes. You still need to be able to break over the, say 40 pounds or so before the 80% let off kicks in. Several years ago I bought a kids bow that I could shoot at 28 inch draw but still set it on 50 pounds. It still shot 250 fps and I was able to take 3 bucks in 2 states over 2 years. It was more than adequate to blow throw rib cages under 20 yards.

The only real solution is to go as high in draw weight as you can stand but to stay above the 35 pound minimum. Good news is that modern compounds, set up with the right weight of arrows and point can kill with well placed shots at reasonable distances. There not any compound bows that I know of that work the way you are talking about. Most pro shops can set you up properly.

10-Sep-17
PSE Evolve 35, smooth draw and can be set to 90% letoff, Mathews No Cam HTR. Neither is cheap, both nice bows.

11-Sep-17
Parker. used to make a bow they called. easy draw

bill v

12-Sep-17
I use a Hoyt youth compound set at 45 pounds. I've killed a couple of deer with it.

12-Sep-17
Get him a 40# recurve or longbow. Easy to draw & will kill anything in PA with ease.

12-Sep-17
35# will do the job too.

05-Dec-17
Tell him to do his physical therapy and work his way up to a 35lb draw. If all is good great. Wish him luck.

20-Dec-17
Lighter weights work just fine for deer, as RC said 35# will do the job...likely with pass through shots on deer. I keep several old (70's) compounds set up for shooting barebow. One is a Martin from about 1978'ish, set at 48# and drops off to 25#/ I can shoot it just like my recurves and don't miss a beat on accuracy....just a little heavier mass.

20-Dec-17
Those things shoot about as slow as a stickbow too, George. LOL.

21-Dec-17
Maybe so, Art...but stickbow slow is fast enought.

21-Dec-17
I have an old Jennings compound here that's 30% letoff, wooden riser. I killed a pile of deer with that thing shooting it like a stickbow. In fact it looks and shoots a lot more like a recurve than it does one of today's compounds. It pulls easy.

21-Dec-17
Art, and your point is? A stickbow will shoot through any game in the land. And by the way, I've been around long enough to know how well they work and what they will do. I even watched Robin Devono shoot a perfect field round with an old slow 1978 compound bow...back in those days. And another plus, you can buy one ready to go for less than $75.00, but then I guess they aren't cool, and that seems to be more important to some.

21-Dec-17
I should add that I can take them apart without a bow press, change harness or cables, etc., an put them back together. Only need an allen wrench and no tech. Your mileage may vary and that's fine as well.

21-Dec-17
It was a joke George.

22-Dec-17
You were apparently the only one who knew that Dave.

22-Dec-17
LOL?

22-Dec-17
Sorry, been traveling. I also had and loved my old Hoyt target bow and in recent years had a couple recurves that are faster. Just struck me as funny when I thought about it. Took most of my bowhunting lifetime to see what heavy points and wood shafts would do to a ribcage. Never took a buck with a bow until I was 40. Biggest so far was with a stickbow. On your side believe me. LOL.

22-Dec-17
Well Art, MOST everyone here knew what you meant. ;)

At least we got yet another history lesson out of it.

23-Dec-17
someone call 9/10broke!

23-Dec-17
We have a quota here Dale. Already full.

24-Dec-17
Roflmao!

24-Dec-17
I am really disappointed to hear that George D. Stout shoots wheel bows. All this time he has been my traditional folklore hero. Guess I'll make Dave my new hero..

24-Dec-17
LMBO!!!!!! : )

24-Dec-17
You guys better watch it or George and I are going to make you all climb the mountain to find us then only then will we answer your question. So choose well.

24-Dec-17
Only way you or George could get up the mountain would be on a Quad:)

24-Dec-17
I'd rather get my answers from a Magic 8 Ball.

24-Dec-17
But we are already there Roy.

• Sitka Gear