DoorKnob 15-Sep-17
Sidekick 15-Sep-17
DoorKnob 15-Sep-17
Swampy 17-Sep-17
ground hunter 17-Sep-17
Crusader dad 17-Sep-17
Jeff in MN 17-Sep-17
10-Sep-17
What are you doing to prep for the season?

10-Sep-17
This morning I did laundry.

I pulled my hunting clothes out and washed them in a bucket with hard wood ash and walnut husks. Then smoked them and they will hang out in the UV sun till Saturday.

Thought about making some tied dyed camo by bleaching some old khakis.

Also plan on getting a more consistent anchor point

11-Sep-17
Now I start to practice with the broadheads

11-Sep-17
Getting all my camera gear together. Waiting on a batch of sd cards to arrive. I have to wax a few plastic washers on my treestand and I'll be ready to go. Good luck and safe hunting this fall tweed.

11-Sep-17
I am getting the peppers, tomatoes, onions, garlic, basil, oregano, olive oil and such together, mostly from the garden (not the olive oil). All systems go!

11-Sep-17
Margarita venison pizza at DoorKnobs!

11-Sep-17
Shot my hunting arrows with Slick Trick heads out of a tree stand yesterday.

They flew great! I'm ready.

11-Sep-17
More like stir fry! I usually grill the inner lions out the garage door while I butcher the deer. If was really hungry I put a dent in the back loins as well.

11-Sep-17
What are back loins? Never heard that before.

11-Sep-17
Only thing I have left to do is wash my clothes tomorrow. Doorknob you got it right..thats exactly what I do when butchering. Always easy to get a neighbor or two to help when fresh straps are on the grill.

11-Sep-17
Clothes have been washed in baking soda and line dried and put in the appropriate totes for 2 weeks now. All stands hung on our land and 2 pop ups out and brushed in. Plus another 9 trees prepped for mobile hang and hunt sets. Been shooting broadheads for a month. Been watching a few very nice bucks on some of the public I hunt up here near home. Blue loctited all sight, mod, and rest screws on the bow a few weeks ago. Double checked all safety gear yesterday.

13-Sep-17
Tundra, In normal butchering, say pigs and beef they are called 'tenderloin' but hunters call them all sorts of things, like 'back straps' or chops, etc.

Later in the season when I have one in the shrink wrap already the subsequent butcher jobs involve half pound hamburgers on the grill with nice hardrolls, thick sliced beefsteak tomatoes, red onions and lettuce.

My personal record is four. To yummy to stop before a hurting tummy.

13-Sep-17

Crusader dad's embedded Photo
I finally made it out to the horse farm that Collin and I bowhunt. I made a scrape in a well used island that is in the very middle of the property. It's maybe 2 acres of woods and tends to flood when it rains. This is the same spot that I shot a tree last year when I was trying to kill a buck.

Back to the scrape. I broke the overhead branch, cleared below it and pissed. I get to work on putting my cam up and turn around to see my idiot dog laying in it. Now I have to give him a bath.

14-Sep-17
I washed/soaked my backpack in hardwood ashes. Took my climber down from it's "storage tree" and finally began practicing with broadheads. Sharpened the other broadheads till able to have my arm with.

14-Sep-17
I wish I would've had more time this past month or so to do a 3D course. I love the different shot set ups.

15-Sep-17
Had to replace broken o-rings on 2 grunt calls. Been thinking about plugging in the second chest freezer but keep forgetting.

15-Sep-17
Camera went out 1st week of Aug. Stand went up Labor Day weekend. Shot a few 3D targets this morning. Even bought a new Alpz pack today. Just waiting for cooler weather. Call me what you will but I don't hunt when it's shorts weather. I even avoid fishing when the temp is over 80. I don't tolerate summer weather at all.

15-Sep-17
I sat on the house roof for the last hour today to see what the movements are like. Skeeters!! Now that could screw up a sit in the stand.

17-Sep-17
I'm smoking cloth's this afternoon and hunting tomorrow night .

17-Sep-17
I am brook trout fishing till the end of the month,,,,, I then get into walleyes and big crappies and muskie till and thru Oct...... I do not get up for the bow hunt till close to Halloween,,,,, but I am an old guy, and have killed a lot,,,,,, looking forward to Iowa depending on my buddies cancer operation at the VA,,,,,,,, life is short,,,,, go have fun

17-Sep-17

I did some pin hunting.

17-Sep-17
I spent Thursday working on stands in MN. Friday and Saturday working on stands on 120 acres of woods in Iowa. (I got permission to hunt on another 800 or so acres that includes probably 160 or so acres of wooded land scattered along rivers, draws, etc.) Part of Sunday working on MN stands. Monday afternoon will be more work on MN stands. Don't plan to get too excited about hunting till maybe first week of October.

It was youth hunt time in Iowa starting Saturday. Today my friend took his son out to the spot I said looked the most promising. Quote: Just had 2 bucks go by, one small one and the other an 8 or 10 pointer. Peyton (the kid) did not have a clear shot, he was shaking like a tree in a wind storm.

• Sitka Gear