DoorKnob 04-Sep-19
DoorKnob 04-Sep-19
Jeff in MN 05-Sep-19
DoorKnob 14-Aug-20
DoorKnob 14-Aug-20
smokey 14-Aug-20
11-Sep-17
Secrets.

That's right, I said it: secrets!! I know you got 'em. I got some too.

We have all picked up some valuable knowledge along the way. And I for one wouldn't mind sharing more with my fellow hunters … except … uhhh errr ….the thing is … there would have to be a way to keep this knowledge from being utilized within 20 miles of where I hunt. Now this is a conundrum.

11-Sep-17
Just don't tell people where you hunt. Lots of guys use PMs.

11-Sep-17
Point was I do not want the information coming into the hands of those who hunt near me.

11-Sep-17
I am willing share some things, like help to avoid getting busted. But not how to attract the big guy.

I collect cedar greens from where I will hunt. Grind them up to liquid in the blender. strain that. Refrigerate the 2 parts. Put little dabs of the paste out around the stand and use a squeeze bottle for the liquids as your cover in the stand.

It is as natural to them as the local trees and overwhelms their ability to sniff you out should the wind betray you. Store bought stuff is not as natural to them.

You are the first person I ever told this to :)

11-Sep-17
I applaud the willingness to share but in my opinion cover scents are ineffective. Think for a second about the efforts that drug traffickers go through to cover the smell of drugs. The dogs still smell them.

Deer are just as keen with their senses. They will just smell your human scent and the cedar.

Kind of like bathroom air freshener. Makes it smell like vanilla scented poop.

11-Sep-17
Does your wife know what you're doing to that blender? Lol

11-Sep-17
Here is a secret I'll share freely. I know this is true. I have first hand experience in the matter.

Deer do not use deer crossing signs religiously! I've seen them cross at spots where there is no signs.

Here's a true secret. When using a decoy, simply rub the deer in the natural grasses that are in the area or field you are hunting. It is without the best cover scent for your decoy. Yes, over time, your decoy will become stained. Deer do not seem to mind, and after a new paint job, they look just fine.....or better!

11-Sep-17
Skook! That had me laughing! Sooo true!!

I agree though. Your not going to cover up your own stink to a nose as powerful as a whitetail. Play the wind and be prepared for the thermal drop.

11-Sep-17
There are always gonna be those people who know more then you. I fish a lot and still have secrets I don't tell anyone. People may fish the same stuff but I fish it differently and win more money doing::)). Often its the same in hunting. While the prey can be kicked to a different property or made nocturnal there is still a weakness that makes them harvestable. This is why we call it hunting.

11-Sep-17
There's a reason only 10% of the hunters kill 90% of mature deer.

12-Sep-17
My AO has Bough Pickers running around , smoking , drinking and cutting lots of Boughs . I cut a Bough just before climbing into my stand or blind and then ruff it up to get the sent flowing. I do what I can with my sent , but the idea is to mimic a bough cutter , as the deer are somewhat conditioned to the 2 smells together. If nothing else I like it and thats what counts I guess =----->

12-Sep-17
The only secret I have is how much $ I spend on golf and I only hide that from my wife. 10:15 tee time this morning! Otherwise I'm an open book.

13-Sep-17
I know a lot of you guys hunt the big woods, here's a tip I learned from Gene Wensel; When scouting a new area, look for large mature lone pine trees. You will more than likely find a deer trail very near by. Deer seem to use these as road signs so to speak.

13-Sep-17
The only way to keep a secret is to not tell anyone. Especially not on the internet. But here goes anyway. The secret is to watch the hunting shows, they stole all my secrets years ago and now they blab them all over TV.

But just put in your time scouting and on stand. It is the only sure thing that will increase your chances.

13-Sep-17
There are no secrets, hunting skills and logic can be learned by anyone who spends time in the woods. Unfortunately, many continually hunt for a short cut.

13-Sep-17
Actually there are. I have performed extensive testing of things using cams to learn the results. You'd be surprised. But I can't tell you. :P

14-Sep-17
The only secret I have is to learn your property where you hunt inside and out .

14-Sep-17
someone please reveal the secret to early season morning hunts! I love hunting mornings and want to do it right. anyone willing to part with that gem?

14-Sep-17
Can't believe any bowhunter would not know this, so it is really not a secret,..but it is something to remember about morning hunts: In the a.m. deer are moving from feeding areas to bedding grounds,...so pick a stand on a travel corridor to a bedding area,...make certain it is far enough off the feeding area so you don't get busted getting to or into the stand. Also, I fully agree with what Missouribreaks wrote above. My interpretation = time in the woods is learning time,...and when it comes to bowhunting shortcuts are usually a waste of time!

14-Sep-17
I should have added this to my above post,...If you are a beginning bowhunter, expect to have to pay your dues. The experienced bowhunters on this forum have a few years of experience behind them and everyone of them, I'll bet if they are honest, will admit they have made some dumb mistakes and did some pretty stupid things in the deer woods. (I know I have.) But, in learning what to do and how, they also learned what not to do. The learning curve and the time spent were the dues they paid. Look at them now, listen to them, look at their trophy rooms. That didn't happen overnight, they earned it!

15-Sep-17
I'll offer a few pointers, I wouldn't call them secrets.

Quality sits over quantity. We all love to be in the woods, but sometimes all you are doing is hurting your chances. Morning hunts in early season=low percentage sit. Hunting your best stands early/often and regardless the wind=low percentage. Hunting the same small area and pounding it from mid Sept-the end of Nov, not the best strategy.

15-Sep-17
Rut, that might be the best and toughest strategy to follow. I'm guilty!

15-Sep-17
Why does early morning, early season sits = low percentage?

15-Sep-17
I think sharing tips and secrets is a lot of fun, and for new hunters it is nice to learn stuff,,,, with me I have 40 years of bowhunting behind me, but am always willing to learn something new.......

I live in the woods for the most part, and yes you have to pay your dues, but for heavens sake, its just deer hunting,,,,, to me sharing knowledge is a lot of fun......

I have a lot of unorthodox tricks that work for me, like door knob posted, and I have tried tons of fun stuff, that resulted in nothing gained, all part of the game....

I agree with Rut,

I have a friend who is a walleye machine on northern lakes, but could not kill a deer, if it was in a bag....... so the last 3 years, him and I spent the springs together, and I showed him, what I knew, and picked out his stands...... He has killed 2 bucks since then, and is happy,,,,,, now he is on his own....

He in turn, put me in his boat, and showed me, this is how you catch walleyes, during the day, and at night, and spots and how to read structure etc,,,,, its been a win win

15-Sep-17
Tweed, most of the time early season they are not real active during morning shooting hours. They are back in their beds usually before you even get in the woods or near your stand. Thus you run a higher risk of bumping deer or just wasting a sit. Every hunt leaves a little scent in the area. Even if you see no deer while hunting, when they come through later they know you were there. That's why I try to save my spots for "high quality" sits. Of course on public land you never know what yahoos are hunting there with the wrong wind, entry/exit etc.. Now Sunday afternoon/eve this weekend should be a great time to hunt. A cold front is pushing in Sat night along with high pressure. Sunday and Monday should be great afternoon hunt days. I may be able to sneak out one of them. But the wife is gone all weekend for a work convention. The kids have stuff they need me here for so...

15-Sep-17
This may not be a secret to most of you: Don't stand with your back to your shooting lanes looking turkeys (that you don't have a tag for anyway) when the biggest buck on your camera walks in and stands broadside snorting at you as you turn around wondering what that noise was.... Been kicking my self for 10 months. The moral of this story: Deer can and do show up any time, not just when they're "supposed to be moving".

16-Sep-17
Geez . No real secret yet ? I'll share 1 . When you walk to your stand & get settled in you make noise . If theres a Mature Deer within 100 yards they will stay away from you .

To avoid this get settled in & do some Turkey feeding sounds or some noisy Squirrel chatter . The Deer will relax & may even head in your direction at feeding time .

16-Sep-17
good advice from Ruger,,,, I have seen what he has shot, so listen to him,,,,, last week Reggiepop was at my house,,, I showed him some of my deer, and one of my good ones, and told him I have 2 more like that at the cabin,,,,, so he knew, I hunted a lot....

My first tip to new hunters, and I learned this the hard way..... SETTING THE STAND,,,, it is crucial, and too many guys take it for granted,,,,, Your whole system has to be QUIET, period,,,,,,, Now please forget TV hunting, 90percent of it is bs,,,,,, they are on property that has no pressure, and they control a lot of land.......

When you set your stand, do not, set it up, so you are looking out directly at the trails and paths, that you believe the deer will travel,,,,, Your in a tree, so use that tree for cover,,, for instance do not set your ladder stand or hang on again looking out..... for me, I shoot left handed, and I will tell you I spend most of my time, sitting on the back side or quarter of the tree, looking over my right shoulder.......

If I guess right and the deer is coming, he has less of chance of seeing me or picking up, as I am using the tree as cover, for the most part,,,,,,

16-Sep-17
Oh wow....FJohnson.....nice to meet you and glad you're joining the conversation.

16-Sep-17
RD in WI : Arrive early and stay late!

And that depends...some folks like to start out around 9:00 AM when the rut rolls around and report good activity at 10..11...12 noon.

I guess there is really NO bad time to be in the woods!

I myself have a hard time starting late...something in me...have to see a sunrise- many times I don't see a deer until 9AM -

Good luck!

17-Sep-17
location, location, location >>>>>>---------->

17-Sep-17
I got in my stand at 4:30 pm & did the Squirrel talk using 2 half dollar coins . a 300 lb Bear showed up & left . Then a little 6 pt came out of the swamp to look around . The bugs are nasty .

19-Sep-17
I wear black or brown pants while bowhunting. If you wear the same color & pattern from head to toe you blob into a human shape that wise animals pick out .

19-Sep-17
RUGER1022 - would you explain "the squirrel talk using 2 half dollar coins." Never heard of this & I'll bet a lot of other guys haven't either. In advance, thanks.

19-Sep-17
Striking the edge of the coins together to mimic the bark of a squirrel. I have heard of people doing it with a screw and a lid from a can or mason jar among several others. I have hear of guys using it to get curious squirrels to show themselves but not deer. I might buy that a squirrel could come out for a peak but I don't think too many other animals are likely to be called in.

20-Sep-17
I'm not saying that it calls them in . I do believe the sound makes the Deer think the noise was Squirrels & puts them at ease . This weekemd a bruiser Bear walked right at me 5 minutes after I did my squirrel talk . Coincidentance ? .I slide the edge of 1 coin over the face of the second coin several time . then I tap them together about 6 times , wait a bit & repeat . Grampa showed me that trick in the 50's . Shot a lot of Squirrels that way .

21-Sep-17
This coin trick, as I said I've never heard of it before. Sounds crazy to me! Yeah, it just might be crazy enough to work! I've seen really oddball techniques work like a charm sometimes. You never know. Once, I forgot my rattling antlers,...saw a buck 80 yards off,...used the back of the blade of my knife "tickled" against the shafts in my bowquiver to bring him in,...crazy, but it worked. I can't quite envision how the coins are rubbed together and "clicked." Any chance you could spend another minute or so and offer a shot at a further explanation? Thanks.

22-Sep-17
Fun thread guys. For what it's worth I generally don't believe in cover scents doing much. But....when I walk out to stand and come across a pile of deer poop I walk in it and smush it around on my boots. My theory is why not have a deer scent on you that is from you surroundings.

I also pee in scrapes that are near my stand I have never seen it bother a deer and have had tons of times when deer came in scrape shortly after I freshen them up.

Remember that many of these "secrets" you see on tv are marketing to steer you into buying their products.

22-Sep-17
"Remember that many of these "secrets" you see on tv are marketing to steer you into buying their products."

Exactly!

22-Sep-17
one good product is pure doe urine, buy it from FNT out of MI which is a trapping house, to spray on boots,,,,,,, told my friend to smoke his clothes, he is now owing land behind the amish, the smoke is out in them draws all day

Most tv hunting is bs, but better than watching the news

22-Sep-17
I don't believe in any secrets to hunting. I believe it's doing different things at the right time or maybe a odd time. Going with your gut instinct. Whether it's blocking a trail for a reason. Leaving a spot until it's right. Or waiting for a windy day to sneak into a area you couldn't on other days. It's about woodsmanship. Reading the sign correctly and moving into the correct spot. Smoke your clothes or rub coins together all you want. There isn't a magic way. Theres many things that have to come together in order to come out victorious.

23-Sep-17
What are your secrets to removing all the little stickers from your clothing. As hard as I try to avoid them, even getting dressed at my stand, I still end up with those annoying hitchhikers.

23-Sep-17
MrBones, I use a sharp knife and scrape them off easy peasy.

23-Sep-17
This is no secret. HEAT SUCKS THIS TIME OF YEAR!!!!!!!

28-Sep-17
Perhaps not a real secret....do not shoot "field points" on a regular basis. I've made good shots a LOT more since I've started shooting only broadheads since that's what we do business with. Unless it is absolutely required (at a 3D shoot or something) I only shoot broadheads at 50 yards or more. 50 makes the short shots I routinely take a piece of cake. I have found that the Rinehart targets will take a LOT of heads and the one I've been pounding for 3 or 4 years will still stop them. Just found a deal on seconds at Midway USA for 61.00-hard to beat. A good pile of sifted black dirt will work just as well but is not quite as portable.....

28-Oct-17
I don't have cell service where I hunt, so getting on bowsite isn't an option. I can text, but that's about it, and sometimes I have to send it a 2nd time. Today I got a vibe and looked to see what it was. An email came in so instead of taking my glove off, I touched it with my hand warmer. It worked. I was able to scroll around with it. I don't think texting would be an easy task though.

29-Oct-17
Posted this on the "need some help" thread but it fits here. If you lose the blood trail it probably turned and you did not. If you're at a loss consider which side you hit the critter on. They very often turn that way....if you hit him on the left side he'll most likely turn left. Why---dunno but often that's the way it works.

30-Oct-17
Since I tagged up on the opener I have had the devel's workshop going on in my head and have been experimenting. The other day I put a certain substance out and had 5 bucks get to it in less than 2 hours.

2 yearlings, 2 matures and the biggest one around that I know of.

But it is a secret !

30-Oct-17
Well that's disappointing Doorknob*. Getting all excited until I read the last line.....LOL

30-Oct-17
Must be stealing his wife's dirty tampons! Lmao

30-Oct-17
Wow, you got a knack for that limit!

30-Oct-17
Thanks Camp 2 Dukes. I try to clear out all I can, but can never find all of them before they find me.

06-Nov-17
Here's a tip that I just had happen this year. If a doe spooks that's by you and starts snorting, get ready. I had this happen and two bucks came in grunting and started harassing her. No shot situation as I was on the ground and a lot of snow coming down and was stuck in the trees. But, it got me thinking about call types.

09-Nov-17
The best thing for the little burrs is a "horse slicker" or curry comb. The slicker is a single blade with small teeth on one side and a smooth side on the other. Works GREAT even on fleece. Couple others....when walking to your stand through leaves....sound like a animal....get on your tip toes, short your step cadence....stop...stomp the ground....start walking again. I do it going in and out.

Here is a safety one....when putting your harness strap loop around the tree, don`t put the tether directly behind you. Put the tether at the tree above where your steps are...this way if you fall you swing right above your steps not above your stand where there are no steps.

09-Nov-17
Here's 1 I learned a couple days ago: Trim shooting lanes in every direction. If I'd done this I would've had a shot at a big bodied buck that walked in the creek right behind my stand. He stopped broadside 16yds away with the top of 4 saplings in the way.

09-Nov-17
I don't understand why people don't like sharing tips. It's not like we are competing against each other or that we are on the same property. There is 1 guy on this forum who hunts on the property over from where I sit, we PM on what we see, etc. I think either of us would be stoked for the other if we connected on a big one.

Tips (some already given): - Get to know your property - Don't sit in the same sport too much. I seem to see the biggest bucks on my first sit in a location or after not sitting for a while. - Don't pee off your stand when bow hunting. Gun hunting not as much risk, but I recommend bringing a pee bottle...just don't mistake for your afternoon lemonade. - Don't over grunt or rattle except when the does are running and in heat. - When cutting branches, don't go crazy...be aware of how things look from the ground and make sure you have plenty behind you to break up your outline. - Wash the clothing and air it out often. A few sweaty sits can bring more scent than you think. - Get in early. I like to be in my stand at least 30' before shooting hours...sometimes 60' - Hunt the biggest scrapes. They are sign posts and although food plots can be tempting, the big boys will continuously come to those scrapes throughout the pre-rut and rut. - Shoot regularly. Tough to do in season, but it will keep you sharp and help your chances or a quick ethical kill. - Quality over quantity (pay attention to the wind). Spook your big buck when you are on stand and you drastically reduce your chances he'll be back soon...unless he's possessed. - Some things don't spook deer like you think. Had the ringer on my phone go off when a buck was standing at 20yards. He heard it but never it never spooked him...he WAS possessed!

ENJOY BEING IN THE STAND. We are lucky to be a group of guys and gals who enjoy getting into the woods!

09-Nov-17
Shooting during season is a good point. I shoot Trad, instinctive and I havet a target up at 10 yards outside my garage. Every morning before going out I warm up on that target.

11-Nov-17
When carrying a decoy is not an option, I have hunt white toilet paper off of a branch at the right height, in heavy cover,,,,, it has caught their attention a few times, looking like a tail flicking,,,,,,

I have had good luck using gel scents, and using scent posts,,,, get most of mine thru FNT trapping supplies,,,,, instead of dragging the scent on the ground, I have used cleaned boiled, wooden clothes pins, with a reflector marker, stuck in it. I would dip the pin, in the gel, and hang it on the branches off of the ground, getting the scent, better working in the thermals,,,,,

I have used sparingly, and right time of year, have had good results. when I leave at dark, the reflector, allows me, to remove my scent pin. I do not want scent out there when I am not there........

Some guys put out bait, me, I put out a scent post. in certain areas, that have proven over time to bring results, I bring in a large boulder, usually, via the cart,,,,, get it into position, I place a scent lure, on the boulder,,,,, what I am trying to do, is to get every male animal in the area, from coon, to mink, to pee on the post,,,,, a natural smell,,,,

A buck is like a dog at times, I have seen them come thru, and they take the time to piss on that rock also, giving you time for a shot,,,,, its not 100 percent, but it has worked at times, and is a natural smell in your area

11-Nov-17
When using scents try using a (clean) tampon to absorb the scent and use that. (That's why they have the string, isn't it?)

11-Nov-17
I have a few secret tricks that were given to me many years ago. I used them in Iowa this past week or so and they worked. I can't post what they are or I would have to somehow purge that knowledge from everyone's brain. Seriously, control your body and brain when you see a critter you plan to shoot. Focus, focus, focus on what needs to be done, don't let your heart rate rise or get excited. I truly believe deer can sense it. Stay calm. Ya really hard to do when the shot takes several minutes to present itself.

If you get too good doing that it can backfire. I have shot a few animals that were not as big as I first thought and since I was focused on controlling my body and on the shot I never re-evaluated the decision to shoot it.

11-Nov-17
I disagree with not peeing off your stand when bowhunting. I've never had a deer become alarmed or run away. Heck I piss right in the scrapes, works great. Pre freely gentleman just not into a brisk wind

11-Nov-17
Grunter... I have had luck going both ways. Sometimes it goes unnoticed and other times it has spooked deer. I'd rather be safe than sorry with the big ones, especially because I drive 80' one way to my stand!

11-Nov-17
BB-i was raised with that same belief and actually my dad still won't do it. But after talking to people and reading alot i now do it and haven't seen any negatives. I don't doubt you've scared deer, but is it possible they ran from your scent and not the pee? No biggie, do what works for you. I just always hated bringing out that liter jug of piss in my pack

11-Nov-17
Grunter I have had bad experiences, with bucks smelling my urine, but that was in remote country, with deer, that had no or little interaction with humans, Ontario, western UP, etc........ I would not question Mike Noskoviak who runs Superior Guides and Outfitters on the Bad River area of Ashland Co,an area that is 12 miles by 25 miles.... He always tells his hunters, to bring a bottle for that reason....

One of the best trappers I know of,,,,,, On the other hand, I will pee right out of the tree in my house area, farmland, deer could care less

11-Nov-17
If a deer smells your pee that means he has smelled you. Some deer accept your scent and some don't. Do as you choose but don't just blame the urine.

11-Nov-17
Fair enough, definitely could be urine, my other scent, etc. I like the point about accepting scent. That's seems logical to me too!

11-Nov-17
Nocturnal that is a fair assumption, but as a trapper, I have my own thoughts,,,, do what you think is best,,, and I guess that was my point, deer will accept some scents in my area at home, but they come unglued in a remote area, from my experience....

Fun thread

12-Nov-17
I get down to pee next to the tree and cover it with dirt or snow somewhat., the risk there is the noise and movement is probably more risk than the pee itself. Once I had to hold it too long due to deer in sight. Then I peed right from the tree stand while the deer was still in sight. Don't recall if I got away with it or not.

20-Nov-17
Made a believer out of my friend today,,,, hunting woods, no deer, but says there all in the cattails and high grass, no trees!!!!!!! I said, take my step ladder stand,,, what he said.... (kids)..... Well he took it, and shot some deer today.....

Buy a step ladder, (fiber glass), paint it up, put on a sling strap, off you go,,, gets you up just high enough to hunt the crap,,,, its a killer bow set up.... to keep weight down I prefer the 4 or 5 footer.... Werner makes a nice quiet one,,,, put a pad on the seat,,, you shoot sitting down, but you can tuck yourself in,,,,,,,

If your on the ground, your too low...... Wind wrong, well just move it,,,, easy peasy....

Put a pack strap on it, on one end, go over the shoulder, and your off,,,,, you can get one for about 50.00,,,,,, I have not gone to a 4 footer,,,,,,,,

20-Nov-17
GH, I have hunted tall brush in swamps before, it is fun with close quarters to the deer. Wish I had thought of a ladder, I cut narrow shooting lanes. So often I could hear the deer eating or walking in the mud/water but couldn't see them.

Here is one I can share. If you use rattling antlers but find it hard to deal with holding two antlers and your bow at the same time then this is for you. Tie parachute chord to the base of one antler, then tie the other antler to the same chord about 3' from the first. With the antlers on the ground you need plenty of cord to reach up to your highest stand and tie the line around the tree where you can easily grab the rope. Now when you want to rattle just grab the rope and make the antlers dance on the ground. You get rattling and sounds of hoofs hitting the dirt at the same time. Now play with the length between antlers by doing half hitches to either of the antlers to shorten it. You need to jerk and make the antlers fly around so they smash together. You might need to cut the G1s fairly short so the rope doesn't catch them too much.

21-Nov-17
Jeff its not perfect, (weight still a issue) but it works well.... Years ago, a company over in your neck of the woods, Trail Hawk Tree Stands, use to build a light, step ladder frame, stand, got you up about 5 feet, and had a seat, that folded down,,,,,, It was a killer, in the sunflower fields in south Dakota, and the corn around here.....

loaned it out, never saw it again,,,,, made out of aluminum frame material, like their hang ons,,,,, if I was a welder or fabricator I would make one,,,,, its was the best,,,,,

companies are not going to make that stuff, no way to sell enough of them, not enough guys who would buy it..............

21-Nov-17
Ground hunter, thank you for that tip. I have a broken 6footer that I can use in my urban area. I'll be trying it out in the next couple days. I can't believe I never thought of that before.

21-Nov-17
Ground Hunter, I like your idea of a scent post, do you think a pile of smaller rocks would do as well? What kind of lure are you using? A trapping lure that attracts a variety of animals?

23-Nov-17
I know a lot of you have top notch clothing, but I do not like to be bulked up while in stand,,,,, this works good in a ladder stand,,,,, for any of those, for gun or late season, I hang a small 1 lb coffee can, under the seat frame, with a wire,,,,, inside I put a can of the flammable gel, and light it,,,,, I put over me, a nice wool blanket over my legs, and I am toasty warm,,,,, and it works well

23-Nov-17
OK. I'll chime in. Don't tell the deer where you are hunting:-)

23-Nov-17
yep, and I stay warm,,,, a friend of mine uses charcoal, which sometimes works better

24-Nov-17
ground hunter my younger brother does the same coffee can heater/wool blanket method from his wooden ladder stand. He uses charcoal in this can.

24-Nov-17
I know me a fire under my ass and a wool blanket don't sound like a good mix .

25-Nov-17
Dad and I used the charcoal fire back in the day... Bolted a 4" square metal electrical box to the bottom of a tall V8 like can. Punched a bunch of holes low in the can. Red, now orange cloth over our legs to form a chimney for the heat to go up. We used ground blinds back then, not sure I would use one in a tree stand.

Here is my wind detector advice. Pick a several milk weed pods before they break open and rubber band them shut. Then tape or rubber band the still rubber banded pod to an easy to get to spot on your bow. Pluck out a piece of fuzz every time you need to tell where calm wind or thermals are going. They often float a long ways in wind you cannot even feel, going up and down along the way. You can't change the wind but it will tell you what direction the deer will catch you from so you can be alert in that direction. Or when you should get out of there if you don't want to risk being detected from that direction. Using these in bluff country will tell you a lot about how hard those places are to remain undetected.

Don't worry about being johnny appleseed with the milk weed as they are a very beneficial plant for butterflies during their migration south. The seeds generally stay in the pod anyway unless you spread them intentionally.

25-Nov-17
Good one Jeff in Mn, I've used them myself. I have had them circle back to me, sometimes 15 minutes or longer.

25-Nov-17
Its all I used, never found anything better

26-Mar-18
OK, I feel bad for not sharing. So I'll give you the best one.

Plant a 0.1 ac hemp plot 150 yards from your stand toward a bedding area. You do not need to be able to see this.

Each day drop a dozen vegan powdered sugar frosted jelly filled doughnut holes 12 yards up wind of your stand.

Every day they get up earlier than the preceding day and race in for the few treats. The competition is fierce. But they move real slow - so easy shots!

Best part is when you arrow one the rest stand around an laugh hysterically!

02-Sep-19

DoorKnob's Link
I figure I can share this one. It won't help you draw in the big guy nor will it help you shoot him.

But, if you shoot something this can help you find it. UVEX Ultra-spec 2000 Wrap-around Glasses, Orange Frame #S0360X by Honeywell

https://mla-s1-p.mlstatic.com/959748-MLA28089027857_092018-B.jpg

I have a pair of these. They block blue and such. What remains is red and yellowish. Much else looks gray-scale. I wore them today on the mower. You should have seen the 3d carnage from a frog. I would have never noticed without them.

They brighten up your view as well, so great in low light and when coupled with the proper LED lights ( the wavelength of blood), you can't miss the blood if it is present.

Might not be a secret to everyone.

03-Sep-19
So ... since this was fresh in my mind I decided to use them while driving today, just to check out the view.

Came upon a vehicle pulled over, flashing lights and all. At first I thought it was a strange sight, just red ... put the glasses up and there was the blue on the other side. Put them down only red.

Serious wavelength control.

04-Sep-19
Is anti-scratch or anti-fog the better of the two coating choices?

04-Sep-19
duplicate post

04-Sep-19
I do not know which this is. I can pull all the tiny numbers off the edges. The packaging is long gone. I pulled an image off the net rather than photograph my pair.

I'll get out a magnifying glass and tell you what is embossed on this pair.

04-Sep-19
On left arm , near attachment, read vertical from in side top to bottom. Now this is a piece of cake! B-D+U6L1.5 Z87+ then a 5 over A

On the front piece same side vertically bottom to top from outside: SPERIAN CA 18826

OTHER SIDE HAS Z87.1 made in usa 2 over A

both arms say UVEX ultraspec.

If I had a choice I'd get anti fog coating. Functions while you use them. If you scratch them buy more.

05-Sep-19
I was leaning toward anti fog for the same reason.

14-Aug-20

DoorKnob's Link
And now we have another good reason to use cedar ... Nootkatone

14-Aug-20
I guess this explains cedar closets and chests.

14-Aug-20
Years ago I was able to buy insect repllant made from cedar oils. Smelled nice and didn't melt plastic! I can't remember the brand name but I bought it through a traditional bowhunter magazine ad.

• Sitka Gear