xtroutx 10-Nov-17
casekiska 10-Nov-17
casekiska 10-Nov-17
Pete-pec 10-Nov-17
ground hunter 10-Nov-17
orionsbrother 10-Nov-17
13-Sep-17
This should be an interesting year.

Last year I hunted public near me that the prior year you needed permission so only so many hunters could use it.

It seems that word has gotten out this year and now these small parcels are crawling with people. I had one parcel that was DNR owned but they sold it.....last week.

The first full week of November I plan on taking off and going to my patch in Marinette. This past spring I did some hinge cutting and broadcast some perennial rye and clover. Haven't been back up since. Should be interesting to see if the critters liked it. First day or so I plan on setting up camp, chores, scouting and some fishing and the remaining sitting in my climber or on the ground as much as possible.

If anyone is up near that way (Dunbar) that wants to get a beer or coffee let me know.

As the name says...this is my journal. In addition to the hunt I'll probably be recording whatever ideas and brain farts I have while out there.

Feel free to chime in from time to time but please no "flaming".

15-Sep-17
Tweed can only wish you the best . The deer pop. should be bouncing back up there . Is Richards supper club still in Dunbar ?

15-Sep-17
Tweed - Best of all good luck to you. Sounds as if you've done some prep work that may pay off. How about explaining for all your hinge cutting,...how, why, when, what for, etc? Thanks.

15-Sep-17
Swampy- Yup! Richards is still open but has been under new ownership for a few years. They're trying to update everything and really pushing the motel. Bear Necessities is closed (along with the post office the was inside) so now I have to go into Pembine for everything.

Case- hinge cutting...well....I'm a complete hack (get it 8^) ? ) There's a small creek that runs through the property that turns into some falls on the south end. About ten years off of the creek I did the hinge cutting by acting like a maniac with a chainsaw. I mainly did it for thermal cover to help during the winter. I left plenty of trees standing too so there's filtered light during the summer. The rye/clover I did east of the creek that is probably 10 feet above a small ridge that runs along the creek. I sowed it early...again...to help with the herd thinking that it would be tender and palatable about the time fawns were dropping. Of course I want to kill something on the property but my main goal is to help the herd in general and see fawns in the summer. By having fawns around I'm hoping my 2 daughters will want to spend more time in the woods.

15-Sep-17
09/14/17 Thursday before opening

Hunting home area (MKE, OZK, WSH)

Too many people at the parcels I initially planned to hunt. When to a parcel that's a little further way that you have to walk a good 1 - 1 1/2 mile to get into the woods. I'm hoping that kind of trek will deter others. On the road there is a soy bean field that is 90 green still, to the south of this field there is a pine plantation strip about 4 trees wide, on the other side of this strip there's another small bean field, past there there is a low spot that is brushy and wooded. I scouted the plantation line looking for a path between the two bean fields. There will be a south wind here on opening morning so I'm hoping that being north of the bedding but in a sanctuary surround by food will pay off. I took some dead brush and made a little bit of a ground blind. I want it to look as natural as possible so I don't attract other humans to this location. I'm hoping my lazy butt can get up tomorrow morning and being sitting there by 5 am. Tonight I'll be sleeping in the tent in the backyard (I have a hot wife and its hard to get out of bed sometimes) with my hunting clothes set out next to the fire. I washed these in hard wood ashes last weekend.

15-Sep-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
X marks my spot.

15-Sep-17
Best of luck brother!

15-Sep-17
Have fun and hunt safe buddy!

16-Sep-17
It's always something.....

I'm here at 5 like I wanted to be but some how I grabbed the wrong bow last night and forgot my finger tags. I kind of hope I don't see anything now....but if I do I'll give it a shot with the "guess" bow.

Also...it's weird hunting in suburbia. One of the neighbors out here is still partying. I can clear as day hear all the music and going ons while sitting here.

You'd think if you live in such a huge house you'd have better taste in music.

16-Sep-17
Oh....and I watched a video last night about how to refill the butane thermacell cartridges. Huge savings and glad I did mine. Also...there's these replacement pads out of Thailand by the name of ARS thats the same as thermacell but a fraction of the cost. 120 of them for only $20. And if they work in Thailand they'll work anywhere.

16-Sep-17
Please share info after your hunt on the thermocell refilling.

16-Sep-17

Bootspit's Link
How to refill butane

16-Sep-17
I'm in! Great video! Thanks for sharing. I lacked the courage to actually tear one apart.....although I did replace the porcelain elmement inside the unit itself. I will be heading to Menard's today.

16-Sep-17
1) Never refill beyond 80% of volume to avoid hydraulic pressures if liquid expands. 2) To enhance transfer of butane, chill receiving vial with dry ice. Even putting the receiver vial in freezer for awhile would help provided valve still functions. 3). After removing the check-valve, ambient air gets into empty canister. Not sure how the valve works, but after refilling with butane, depress valve while it is upright so ambient air is forced out of headspace (butane vapor is heavier than ambient air). Having partial pressure in butane cartridge could affect Thermocell operation if it is affected by pressure. I seriously doubt it as these units operate at all temps so point 3 wouldn't matter.

I don't own a Thermocell but happen to know a lot about filling liquified gases into canisters. Point 2 will definately save you time. Even submersing the canister in an ice bath while filling will help if no dry-ice or liquid N2 is available.

16-Sep-17
Thanks Treefarm. Makes perfect sense to me.

P.S. You should try a thermocell. It is life changing I swear. It may not stop midges or flies, but damn do the mosquitoes stay away.

16-Sep-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
The video bootspit posted is exact one I watched.

I like the mag torch fuel because the cap comes with various connections.

16-Sep-17
Ok....that heavy climber I was complaining about on a different thread....I put the shoulder straps on the other side and placed them higher to lower the center of gravity and nestle them together differently.

World of difference! Still heavy as all get up but much more quiet and not at as clumsy.

17-Sep-17
Good Luck Tweed! I'll be following we hunt similar parcels.

17-Sep-17
With this heat and this mini drought I did some scouting this afternoon.

Went to a creek bed that was as hard as concrete. I followed it till got mud and eventually water. At the water tons of sign. Almost gitty with the amount of sign from the different wild life.

No good trees to hang a climber from so bent some branches for ground hunting.

Will try to get in after work this week.

18-Sep-17
good luck Tweed,,,, like reading the journal

18-Sep-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
This is what I imagine that water hole to look like when I'm not there...

19-Sep-17
Good luck Tweed!

19-Sep-17
Look forward to reading about your hunts & experiences this season. I know you'll do well,...and entertain us all a bit. Good luck to you.

20-Sep-17
Boss let me leave at 2 this afternoon. Took nearly 2 hours to go home, change pack up, drive here, walk in and climb up a tree. It's 81 degrees.

The caretakers of the place really don't like hunters but because of the way they got the property they have to allow it. The cleared out lots of buckthorn but placed the piles in established trails.

To say it was a pain to get back here today would be an understatement.

I hate heights and after last year getting stuck in a tree I'm even more nervous. I'm probably all of 12 feet off the ground but I'm shaking like a leaf. Maybe after my nerves settle I'll climb higher.

20-Sep-17
Be careful and do what's comfortable. One of my best stands is 10 feet off the ground, if that. I went out at 2 and I'm back home already. Not dealing with the heat.

20-Sep-17
Good move Reggie.

How's your friend's success at that height?

It's 86 degrees now....

Wish this was a better tree and I wasn't such a pansy. That breeze would feel nice higher up.

20-Sep-17
I feel your pain, my fear of heights has left me hunting from the ground for now.

20-Sep-17
I'm cursing myself out right now.

Thanks Reggie

21-Sep-17
Ok...I've settled down.

Was a great afternoon in the stand. Saw plenty of deer and turkey.

At about 5 two average bucks come in and start hanging out about 30-40 yards away in some saplings.

Eventually one of them makes his way towards the creek, I'm in a tree between him and the creek.

As he slowly walks towards me my brain turns off...... As he makes his way towards a sapling below me with head concealed I draw my 50# recurve, aim forward of the front shoulder (exit wound would be behind opposite shoulder) and let my first arrow ever fly at a deer.

He ducks...waits for the longest second, so long that I thought I missed, and begins to take off towards me. Runs under my stand, goes about 70ish yards to the south then east and I lose visual and audible contact. The arrow was visible the whole time. It was sticking out (about half length) of him behind the front shoulder and high.

ReggieZPop and ReggieZSon come out to help with the tracking work.

We looked and looked and looked. No blood no arrow. We continued into the dark till about 8pm....nothing...

I'm sick. I went from being high as a kite to crashing hard.

After work today I plan on going back to see if I can find anything. If I do I'll tag and report it but the meat with be trash.

21-Sep-17
Don't forget to scan the sky for birds circling above the carcass. This can sometimes be the clue that leads right to your trophy. Good luck to you.

21-Sep-17
How high was the shot? And how soon did you start tracking?

21-Sep-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
I waited about a 1/2 hour.

The photo is about the best I could do to draw my shot. I feel that when he ducked, the shoulder blade flexed backwards and the blade stopped the arrow. He didn't seem to be limping though.

21-Sep-17
I'm sure he did drop on the shot. They do often. I feel for you man. Let's see what the older gents think about this. It looks below the spine.

You say half the arrow? You were 12 ft up? How far of a shot? Just trying to think of the angle here? The location looks like upper lung. What kind of vegetation were you tracking through. There's blood. Those shots take a while to fill up. Hopefully the arrow came out somewhere and your able to pick up on a trail.

21-Sep-17
Thanks for bringing up height. Once I got down I'd estimate my height was closer to 15'. Relatively close...10 yards about.

Not much vegetation. Typical hard wood leaf and twig litter with occasional green. It took him about 5-10 seconds to run out of view and ear shot.

21-Sep-17
That's a pretty good angle tweed. Hopefully guys with more tracking experience can give some thought.

21-Sep-17
I'm disappointed nobody is helping. Maybe start up a new thread. So it doesn't blow your journal to shit!

21-Sep-17
Tweed - Seeing as you were shooting downward from 12 feet up and the deer was close, the path of the arrow should be at a pretty steep angle so I do not believe you hit too high in the body. If that's true you've got the top of one lung and possibly into the other. If you did "double lung" him, then he's a dead deer. If not, he may recover. Deer can and do survive a single lung hit. Judging from what you wrote I'm thinking the arrow was also angling backwards. Not the best situation, but if so, you might have gone through part of one lung, the diaphragm and possibly into part of the liver. Maybe even too into part of the stomach, if so he's a dead deer for sure. Still though, on a hit like this you've got to give him time to die,... 30 minutes usually not enough time, 6 - 8 hours would have been better. What make this especially challenging is that there apparently is no exit wound,...a second hole always make it better! Without an exit wound on a steep downward shot that is high in the body the entire chest cavity must fill with blood before you typically get a lot of blood. I've seen lethal hits such as this bleed very poorly (on the outside) but the deer is dead in less than 100 yards, turns out the majority of the bleeding is internal and never leaks out to reach the ground. Trying to analyze and decipher a situation on-line with limited info is difficult, really hard to tell what happened for certain but these ideas are just guess's until more info arrives. Well my friend, food for though here. I believe you'll have a lot of fellows on your side hoping you recover the deer. Good luck & don't forget to look for the birds circling overhead as I mentioned earlier.

21-Sep-17
The shot is high, and it looks and sounded like it was quartering to you. It looks like you maybe hit high on one lung and down into gut. That high of a hit and one lung is tough because it will take a bit for blood to hit the ground, and it will not be much at first. Plus, a running deer will make up a lot of ground before significant blood shows on the ground. Sorry to say, that angle and the deer quartering to you is not a good shot. You will really need to look hard to find that blood, because it will be small drops. I hope you find it.

21-Sep-17
Thanks guys.....

I don't mind keeping it here in my journal as long as we keep it to this one shot/event. Its all part of my season.

I've never had to really track an animal. All my previous deer were with firearms and pretty much drop where they're hit. Just another aspect of bow hunting that I/we need to consider.

21-Sep-17
Tweed, aren't you down in the extreme SE part of the state? I wish we were closer together, I'd be there later helping with the trail.

21-Sep-17
Kenosha is the extreme part....we oughta just give them to IL....full of bears fans...

I'm in southern Ozaukee county which is nearly in Canadia. 8^)

21-Sep-17
Tweed, I am in Washington County. If you want another set of eyes for a grid search, please let me know. My son has a high school soccer game tonight. I am available prior to that, after that, and tomorrow. PM me if you want more help.

I feel your pain.

21-Sep-17
My first deer with a bow looked exactly like the shot diagrammed in your picture. I found him the next morning next to a creek with the help of others. Reminds me, don't forget to look near water. I also shot a doe one late season at a pretty steep angle. She went and bedded within a short distance. After a couple hour stalk/belly crawl, I put another arrow in her in her bed. So, don't give up. And consider all of the above.

21-Sep-17
Nice drawing Tweed, If I had to guess I would say you shot over the top of the close lung and nicked/hit the far lung. It really is hard to say without actually being the one that let the arrow fly. 2" lower and you have a dead deer in 150 yards or less. Like others mentioned, no exit wounds are tough. Keep your chin up and do your grid search.

21-Sep-17
I tell ya one thing.....I'm getting lighted nocks for my hunting arrows....

21-Sep-17
Ex brother in law had a very similar shot like this about 3 years ago. We ended up losing blood almost instantly. About 100 yards later it looked like a massacre when the chest cavity filled up and began pouring out.... took us hours in a sweeping motion to find it though.

I hope you find it Tweed! You have inspired me to go pick up some lighted nocks though!

21-Sep-17
Tweed, I had a similar shot a few years back. No blood and after the oak leaves dropped. I searched for blood for hours and nothing. The next morning I went out and just slowly walked so game trails and low and behold I found one tiny drop of blood. Had a drop or two every 20 to 30 ft,almost impossible to see with all the red leaves. Lost blood again and could not get back on it. Stopped and leaned up against a big oak to have a smoke and sure enough he laid dead 25 ft from me. Dont give up and best of luck to you. Good advise from others above,(esp water).

21-Sep-17
Good luck on your search hope you find him. As others have stated keep an eye on the sky for birds. I would also be looking at an arieal map and note any water sources in the direction he ran. If no blood is found I would walk in the last known direction and look for any trails or thick cover he may have ran for looking to hide out. Stay alert if you do find thick cover as he may be bedded down and you may jump him. Take it slow and keep scanning the area in front of you. I have heard stories of guys focusing so much at the ground for blood they miss the deer bedding down in front of them. Best of luck.

21-Sep-17
Another trick I have done is squinting my eyes and doing a quick scan around me looking for any small openings in the woods. This was generally when I had blood and ran into some thick stuff. It has worked to regain the blood trail.

21-Sep-17
I'm in Washington county if you need help.

Agree with what others said. My experience is they go towards the thickest spot they know close by.

21-Sep-17
We're all pulling for you tweed! Fingers crossed we hear some positive news. Some good stuff from our regular bowsite crew. Report back and don't give up easy. You owe it to the animal.

21-Sep-17
No word today ... must be cutting meat!

21-Sep-17
Nothing.....

And I'm going to leave it at that....

21-Sep-17
That sux, was hoping for the best. I didn't think of it till late this afternoon but should have gotten a tracking dog in there.

21-Sep-17
Well crap I'm offline for a day and I miss this. Sorry to hear you didn't find him. But there are good lessons in every bad hit.

21-Sep-17
Sorry about that Tweed. As stated above, there are probably lessons to be learned here but right now they are well camouflaged in disappointment. I wish you would have found him.

21-Sep-17
I second the tracking dog suggestion as well or at least for future reference.

22-Sep-17
If you have an idea where his bedding area was, I would also check there. Sometimes they will make their way back to their familiar safe zone and bed down before expiring especially if you only caught 1 lung. Unfortunately you will probably booger up the spot in the process of searching.

26-Sep-17
Hoping to get off of work early tomorrow. Youngest kid is sick and am going to do the best not to get sick to despite all sorts of fluids being projected on me this morning. Families.....we share EVERYTHING....egh.

Looking forward to the cooler weather!

27-Sep-17
For future reference locate someone that tracks wounded deer in your area with dog's . That way your all set if it ever happens again . I'm lucky to have one real close to me . He doesn't charge a thing . Just likes to help find deer . So sorry to here about your loss . Really hard to give up looking . Been there . Looked for five days straight for one once . Sometimes we don't always hit where we think we do either . Chances are if you hunt long enough it will happen again . And everytime it will make you sick . Now go shoot the big one . Give it more time with a high hit next time though .

27-Sep-17
Back at it.

WNW breeze and 65*

Honestly after the day of work had I hope I can just sit in the tree and sway back and forth and relax with this breeze. Seeing wildlife would be extra.

27-Sep-17
Good luck tweed.

27-Sep-17
Tweed, sorry that I missed this. I certainly would have participated. Somehow I missed the whole thread?

Of course the next time, things will go as planned, then it's simply a congratulations.

27-Sep-17
Was a nice evening. I really like the place I'm hunting.

Took about 30-45 minutes after I was in the tree for the forest to come alive again. Mostly squirrels carrying on...

At about 5:45 they squirrels go quiet and I see some sort of animal that for a while I was thinking it was mink (not the right habitat) or a spotted skunk. Turns out it was a skinny kit coon. A few minutes later the rest of the family came out about 35 yards out.

Was really enjoying watching them, then I glanced to my right and this doe is just standing there. I freeze for a good 15 minutes and she is very slowly moving towards me. Probably gets within 15 yards but never presents a proper shot. She must've knew what was up and hopped back for awhile out of range (range is 20 yards).

She starts stomping but looking the other way. I get excited, thinking that the thermals is making my scent seem to come from the other way and she'll come back to me.

Eventually she relaxes and mozies on away, out of range the hole time.

On my way out I'm walking along a small bean field and jump another doe who runs through the pine hedge I was in a few weeks ago. I laugh and don't even stop walking. I'm going along the next field and she comes out of the pines and follows me about a hundred yards to my right. I try having a conversation with her. Ask her to give herself to me next....told we don't even have to wait till next time. She could come over right now or meet me at the truck. She didn't bite in any of my offers.....

Get home and my daughters were more bummed I came home with no venison than I was lol. That made me pretty happy.

27-Sep-17
It sounds like you had a fun night as well.

27-Sep-17
Cool! All the crazy crap in this world, especially social media, this is exactly what the mind needs! Just simply vegging out is such a reward.

13-Oct-17
Haven't been out in 2 weeks because...well...life.

Took the day off for parent teacher conference and planned in hunting this afternoon after doing some fishing.

Hooked two, landed one. Got it in the smoker now so probably not making it out. Hoping Sunday morning I'll be in a tree.

22-Oct-17
Sat Saturday afternoon from about noon till dark. Didn't see or hear anything other than a few squirrels and a blue bird hanging out for a bit.

About 430 some turkeys came in.

Not a single deer though.

I really need to get the buckles for my seat. Standing for 6 hours in a 2 sqf space without being able to sit is tiring.

22-Oct-17
WOW Tweed, I could never stand that long. I would move too much trying to take pressure off of 1 foot to the next.

24-Oct-17
I attached my seat last night and now remember why I didn't like my stand last year. With the seat attached I have to set up the should straps backwards.

I need a different sitting system. I think for this week I'll just use a 1x8 across the rails to sit on.

Anyone got suggestions let me know.

24-Oct-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Here's the stand for reference.

24-Oct-17
Get a Summit.

24-Oct-17
Shoulder straps backwards? For carrying in? Can't you just put the seat on when you get to your location? Also, I know it seems awkward but couldnt you sit on the rail and face the tree at least long enough to rest your legs? I fear that your board is going to slide or move on you at just the wrong moment.

24-Oct-17
Don't have Summit money at the moment lol

Theres too much dinking around to out the seat on after I'm up and would still have to carry it out some how, it's to big for my backpack.

If I do use a board I'll screw in some 1x material so it locks into the inside of the rails.

26-Oct-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
My first real morning sit.

This is so nice. First Frost here locally. Squirrels are sounding like deer and turkeys gobbling all around.

Didn't change the seat set up. Figured it's better to be uncomfortable on my hike back than uncomfortable all day in a tree.

Ok fellas....send a tender doe my way. I'll be here till 1pm.

26-Oct-17
Good Luck Tweed. I sent her on the way. Hope she makes it there by 1:00 from Fond Du Lac.

26-Oct-17
A forker came by before but did offer a shot. Tried call but acted like didn't even hear me. Stuck up deer...

A young hunter and his dog walked through about 9ish. Called out and waved to him. Don't think he ever figured what tree I was in but he moved on. Probably boogered up the area for this morning.

It's noon now....waiting for Trappers doe to show up.

03-Nov-17
Just a few more hours at the office and I'm outta here!

Packing tonight and should be at Dunbar around lunchtime tomorrow.

If any bowsiters are in the area Hwy 8 or 141) and want to meet for a beer or coffee sometime during the next week, let me know.

03-Nov-17
Good luck Tweed! I'm looking forward to seeing your redemption buck. We have a dang family wedding tomorrow so my son and I get head up until Sun am. We're coming home Mon pm. I'm being a good dad and yanking him from school on Mon.

Have a great weekend and enjoy your sits.

03-Nov-17
Good luck! I'll be following along.

03-Nov-17
Tweed I’m sitting in a tree by Pembine right now. I’ll be around till Monday if you want to compare notes.

03-Nov-17
Good luck Tweed.

03-Nov-17
Thanks guys.

I don't get data up there but might go to a restaurant or establishment mid week with WiFi.

05-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tweed's embedded Photo
Spruce bough bed.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Spruce bough bed.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Room with a view
Tweed's embedded Photo
Room with a view
Tweed's embedded Photo
Very warm bed. I would seriously wake up in the middle of the night because of being too warm.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Very warm bed. I would seriously wake up in the middle of the night because of being too warm.
Seems the interwebs is working up here.

Got up here about 10am.

Set up camp and cut some firewood. Having a beer and jerky for lunch right now.

The rest of the day will be getting more wood and organizing.

05-Nov-17
If that's what you are sleeping in you are way more hardcore than most. Good luck, have fun.

10-Nov-17

Tweed's embedded Photo
View from my morning stand. (Thanks Razorhead)
Tweed's embedded Photo
View from my morning stand. (Thanks Razorhead)
Tweed's embedded Photo
Water was a bit hard to make coffee. Biggest annoyance was keeping food and drink from freezing
Tweed's embedded Photo
Water was a bit hard to make coffee. Biggest annoyance was keeping food and drink from freezing
Tweed's embedded Photo
Great dutch oven biscuits
Tweed's embedded Photo
Great dutch oven biscuits
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tent set up better after that first windy night.
Tweed's embedded Photo
Tent set up better after that first windy night.
I'm back and going to take some time to thaw out.

As far as camping trips go...it was a good time. One of my favorites.

As far as hunting trips go....really bummed. Didn't see a single deer.

On the 2nd day I saw a shadow on the other side of the brook. Did a few doe bleeps and suddenly the oddest looking deer appear. Short stocky doe....turns out it's a bobcat. That got me pretty excited but that was the last mammal larger than a squirrel I saw all week.

The particular area I was at was loaded with guys (just like me...) hunting the rut but also sitting over piles of corn.

Lesson learned.... I'll do it again next year but will be last week of September. Less piles, less huntering pressure and also....warmer temps and more daylight.

Boy....making dinner with a flashlight in my mouth gets old quick.

10-Nov-17
Tweed you need a head lamp,,,,,,, next year take a canoe hunt with me for a few days down the Brule.......

10-Nov-17
Next year I'm going to keep my headlamps away from my kids :-).

I let them play with them but like most kids...forget to turn them off.

Just let me know the dates and we'll do that trip! That's still a wild river with no dams right?

10-Nov-17
I've steelhead fished the Brule since the late 60's. It is the most beautiful wild river I've been on. I've never canoed it, only been in it with waders. No dams, falls, rapids, deep valleys, big cedars, pines, etc.

10-Nov-17
Very cool pictures. Reminds me of my days camping when I was in boy scouts. We would go camping in the winter sometimes. 2 feet of snow. But we always had a blast. I was blessed to have some good scout leaders and volunteer parents.

10-Nov-17
You, my friend, have a true pioneer spirit. Sorry to hear you didn't see anything.

10-Nov-17
Awsome tweed,

10-Nov-17
Tweed - Very impressive! Who does that sort of camping nowadays? Only a bowhunter! I, and I suspect most others here, would have frozen their parts a couple times over. Sorry you didn't see a deer, or have a shot, or get one. Back in the day, I too camped in cold weather,...for me, it eventually got old! I hope this sort of adventure, or the bowhunting adventure never gets old for you. The torch is being passed to fellows like yourself who will continue the traditions and create new ones for the young bowhunters of today. Good job Tweed.

10-Nov-17
Tweed - Very impressive! Who does that sort of camping nowadays? Only a bowhunter! I, and I suspect most others here, would have frozen their parts a couple times over. Sorry you didn't see a deer, or have a shot, or get one. Back in the day, I too camped in cold weather,...for me, it eventually got old! I hope this sort of adventure, or the bowhunting adventure never gets old for you. The torch is being passed to fellows like yourself who will continue the traditions and create new ones for the young bowhunters of today. Good job Tweed.

10-Nov-17
That looks like an adventure!

10-Nov-17
To be honest Tweed, hunting the northern Forest of that county, is tough, best hunting is still east side of 41, towards the Menomonee River,,,, My friends are see a lot of deer, in Florence County.....

When your hunting north of 8, and the north, one key is to key in on drainages, and feeder creeks, all deer movement centers around that type, of terrain......

When I am 100 percent you should come up with me, and we can scout areas in the spring, and I will show you what I mean..... although I have my cabin on the MI side of the Brule, I still do over night and some times several day bivouacs, so no time is wasted....

I use to build lean toos, in key areas, and then come fall, could use them for base camps, a good one, can be nice, and so a back pack tent, is not needed,,,,,,,

10-Nov-17
Sorry you weren't seeing deer. Gotta hand it to you on your camping though. I snow camp, but use modern gear. Looking forward to the pics and story from your next trip.

• Sitka Gear