Pete-pec 13-Sep-17
smokey 13-Sep-17
Konk1 14-Sep-17
RUGER1022 14-Sep-17
Two Feathers 14-Sep-17
Two Feathers 14-Sep-17
MNBowAddict 14-Sep-17
13-Sep-17
Playing the wind seems to be the overall number 1 tactic for successful deer hunting in most peoples opinions. What are your takes on a few things: When you play the wind are you thinking in terms of stand location regarding moving deer that can smell you within less than 100 yards? Would you sit upwind of a bedding area that was 400 yards away, if your stand was on an ideal downwind side of a primary trail? I guess the main point is, are you choosing stand location based on the immediate area where a shot is possible, the distant area, meaning bedding areas at in the evening, or food sources in the morning? Or both? I used to be careless regarding the wind, thinking "That's what scent free showers and spray are for," but I know that's the wrong decision, beating a deer's nose is damn near impossible. What is your opinions on how far it takes for scent to dissipate to a level that deer will be unaware of your presence?

P.S. ONLY 3 MORE DAYS!

13-Sep-17
Here's how I play the wind. I rarely expect to kill anything downwind. So, I hunt deer upwind of me. That is what I consider when placing a stand. Where I am, the prevailing wind is out of the west. I hate an East or South wind because of it, because I have most of my stand sites set up for that prevailing wind, but I still have a couple stands set up for any wind. A good habit is to avoid hunting stands that may be hot yesterday, but the wind changed the next. I have stands I might only hunt 3 times a year....under the right condition.

One thing I do, is hunt field edges, where my scent is blowing into the field, and my back is to the woods I expect the deer to come from. I know the deer will detect me dead down wind, but I hope to decide to take them before they hit my wind. Yes, I will alert deer to my presence once they hit my wind, but it's honestly one of the safest hunts. I really avoid having my scent blow toward bedding areas, but you can hardly avoid your scent carrying through the woods at some point.

Clean clean clean is the best you can do, and that is still not good enough.

13-Sep-17
I have setups for every wind direction. I will never sit a stand with a bad wind. I've gotten out of stands during primetime when the wind has switched. I also stay mobile. First time in is always the best time.

13-Sep-17
We always hear about bowhunters "playing the wind." Most of us say it and most of us supposedly do it. I think however it is oftentimes very difficult to do.

How many fellows have seen this,...I have many times,... You are on stand and the wind seems to be consistent and in a certain direction. Then, there they are, deer approaching from directly down wind. They are "X" many yards away, they come closer and seem to have no indication you are in their vicinity. They keep coming, directly from your downwind direction. They are now within easy shooting range, seemingly directly downwind, and are not alarmed at all. In this scenario, how am I playing the wind? They should be scenting me! They should be busting outta there! Yet they don't. I shoot, or I don't. It's history now.

My only conclusion is that oftentimes the wind is not as consistent as we think and is not actually moving in the direction we think. It leaves our immediate vicinity and makes a change,...left, right, up, wherever!

I've used powders and various "floaters" to follow the wind direction. Interesting results for sure that will sometimes surprise you.

For many years I hunted the bluff country of Sauk County. Wind is mostly from the NW. But with the hills and valleys it turns and twists all over the landscape. Then you add in the morning and evening thermal reactions of heating and cooling air,...sometimes you've got a real mess. A true bowhunters puzzle!

Sometimes too I wonder how in Heaven's name we are successful. Yet we are! Thank the good Lord for that!

Just figured I'd throw in my .02 cents worth. Ideas for thought. Ideas for comments.

Hope you all have a good season.

13-Sep-17
I agree. You can never get it perfect, and you take those gifts that don't make sense, when they happen.

13-Sep-17
Wind. A lengthy discussion for sure. Updrafts, downdrafts, thermals, eddies, and on and on. Deer do not go nose in the wind but use the nose to detect danger.

Try to set up with the wind in mind, that is the first rule for stand placement but one never knows when a deer shows up in the wrong place.

I laugh at bait sitters. They think a deer walks into a bait without working the wind.

14-Sep-17
Good points above, but I do believe thermal air currents play a huge part. Take this weekend for instance, it's going to be warm, thermals will rise until the heavy damp evening air sets in. Which will probably occur after legal shooting hours or maybe right at prime time. I like to use milkweed as a wind checker, it's interesting watching that dance up, over, and around objects such as trees, branches, etc. You'd be surprised at what the thermal currents do to that milkweed.

14-Sep-17
What Browning said . I checked the wind forcast for The weekend . South & Southwest Saturday . West by Northwest Sunday .

14-Sep-17

Two Feathers's Link
I have a Tree Lounge and the only thing I don't like is it's weight. Other than that it is the most secure and most comfortable climber I have owned. It is also a climber I can get high in a tree. I seldom go higher than 22 feet bowhunting but gun hunting I will go a lot higher. Height has it's advantages.

14-Sep-17

Two Feathers's Link
Here's another wind video you should find interesting.

14-Sep-17
That is interesting. Very good feedback by all!

• Sitka Gear