Rock 09-Oct-17
DB999 11-Nov-17
bowyer45 11-Nov-17
cnelk 11-Nov-17
13-Sep-17

Dirty D's embedded Photo
Dirty D's embedded Photo

Dirty D's Link
Anyone else cooking ribs whole? First time I'd tried it was a couple weeks ago and we chowed them like we hadn't eaten in weeks. They were absolutely fantastic!!

13-Sep-17
Looks good! I've always thought about taking out an elk rack whole but I never want to take the time to cut through all the ribs so I just remove the meat. I love slow cooked elk ribs...

14-Sep-17
Deer ribs boiled then smoked on traeger and lightly basted with a good bbq sauce are the best ribs I've ever eaten!

14-Sep-17
I take the ribs and backstrap as 1 piece from my deer they come out amazing on my green mountain grill.

15-Sep-17
Fubar, so do you saw them off along the spine then or what?

15-Sep-17
Yes sir i use a cordless sawzall but have done it with a hand saw. I also cut the rib below the backstrap when i get home because that part gets done faster on the grill.

16-Sep-17
Huh, I'll have to try that. My grandma used to make an awesome rack of lamb ribs, but I've never considered doing it with a deer or antelope.

16-Sep-17
Glad to see a couple others in agreement. After writing my little blog post, my cousin texted me saying, "Matt, you know I love you - always have, always will. But I'm not buying your elk rib story for a f*$king second." Not sure why he wasn't buying it, not like I'm trying to get sponsored by ElkRibs.com but he asked "if they're that good, why isn't anybody else taking them?" I didn't have a good answer...

16-Sep-17
I want to know who's packing elk ribs out of the back country?!? Eff that! I'll take the rib meat but rib bones? Nope!!!

17-Sep-17
Who said anything about packing bones out the back country? I packed in about 1/2 oz. of seasoning and the bones (scraped clean) still stayed in the hills, ha!

In all seriousness, if feasible, I will be bringing them out with me in the future. I'm really curious if there's any truth to the statement that the fat will affect the flavor (sour or add a gamey taste) any faster than on other typical cuts. My guess is maybe so, which is why there are typically not brought out whole? But than again I think most folks just do what everyone else does, which is leave them behind, because that's the way they were taught.

17-Sep-17
I brought out some moose ribs on thursday, but I've never cooked them. Ready to give it a try.

18-Sep-17
Steve, I'll be very curious to hear how they turn out! Congrats on your bull this post made me go look at the Meat Pole thread to see what I missed. Nice work!!

09-Oct-17
I guess you just have to like ribs! I've packed out elk ribs on my back a few times, but now at almost 72, I'm getting lazy, however I do miss them!! I used to boil them in barbecue sauce adding water to stay liquid, until all the fat was boiled off the ribs and the meat falling off the bone. Then I would skim off the liquid fat on the surface which was considerable, and serve with baked spuds etc. Shot an old 7 point one year, the only ribs I didn't care for, no amount of boiling seemed to soften the meat.

09-Oct-17
I guess you just have to like ribs! I've packed out elk ribs on my back a few times, but now at almost 72, I'm getting lazy, however I do miss them!! I used to boil them in barbecue sauce adding water to stay liquid, until all the fat was boiled off the ribs and the meat falling off the bone. Then I would skim off the liquid fat on the surface which was considerable, and serve with baked spuds etc. Shot an old 7 point one year, the only ribs I didn't care for, no amount of boiling seemed to soften the meat.

09-Oct-17
Here I how I do bone-on elk ribs at home.

1. I cut each side into 4 equal pieces, usually 4-5 ribs per rack.

2, Place in a 4 gal pot with water covering the ribs standing up.

3. Add 2 cups of Apple Cider Vinegar to the water, bring to a boil but then cut down the temp to simmer. Apple Cider Vinegar acts as a tenderizer and sweetener to the meat.

4. Simmer for 4-5 hours until the meat is about 85% done BUT not falling off the bone. Keep it on the bone! Every hour, skim off the fat from the surface of the water.

5. When 85% done, transfer the rack to the oven or even better, the charcoal grill, and top of the racks with your favorite BBQ sauce and finish the cooking

6. ENJOY

09-Oct-17
Have done many racks of Moose and Caribou over a fire/coals like in D's photo, they are great. Also a Dall Sheep and Bear which were also great.

11-Nov-17
Shot a whitetail this morning. Thinking of trying out your rib idea. Question... do I just saw zaw the ribs out? Worried about small bone fragments in the meat? Is there a better way?

11-Nov-17
Wash the ribs off if you're worried about it, no problem.

11-Nov-17
I made some antelope ribs recently, wow were they good. I seared them on the grill then put them in the crockpot

I shot a WT out in Neb last week and I cant wait to make those ribs!

And yes, I just used a sawzall to cut he ribs onto pieces

• Sitka Gear