grunt 14-Sep-17
Justgrad25 18-Sep-17
Bonafide 26-Sep-17
Rut Nut 27-Sep-17
hawk-eye 27-Sep-17
Rut Nut 27-Sep-17
Rut Nut 28-Sep-17
13-Sep-17
Has anyone used those white game bags (don't know what they are called?) to keep flies off of deer while getting it out of the woods? Just wonder how they work?

14-Sep-17
grunt, I never used a bag on a deer so I don't know what it would do for you. I've used those bag on meat, quarters and other pieces. I think the idea is to keep the flus from laying eggs in the meat of its going to be hot you need to get the blood out of the body, blood spoils first if you don't have a long drag, just get it out and into a cool box. you'll be fine. gutted and blooded!

good luck. bill v

14-Sep-17
Bill is right. Those bags are designed to keep the flies off the carcass while allowing the air to get thru and cool down the meat.

I've only ever had a problem with flies once in PA. The 5C hunt several years ago before we started getting the cooler. I shot one about 8am and brought it back to camp at 11. Someone was using the meatpole to butcher their deer, so I had to wait. Was almost noon before I started skinning. When I started skinning, I noticed a fly had already laid eggs between the hide and the belly meat where I had cut to field dress it.

14-Sep-17
Thanks. I shot one a couple of years ago and the flies were on it pretty quick. Just trying to avoid what happened to Rut Nut.

14-Sep-17
80 degrees, I'll be water skiing. I'll bow hunt when it 50 or below.

14-Sep-17
LOL... wish I was that smart.

18-Sep-17
Well, my neighbor toughed it out and was rewarded with a doe. He also missed an 8 point prior to taking the doe. I was up on my ladder painting the exterior of my house when he pulled in late Sat. AM with his doe in the back.

26-Sep-17
Looks like the state opener will be a little more cooler than it's been in the am, should make for a good morning.

27-Sep-17
Well, the 5C Gang toughed it out for 3 days last week! Lows in the 60's and highs near 90 most days. Figured out how to wear shorts (facepaint on the legs ;-), keep from getting heat stroke on stand and even managed to take a few deer!

By the second day, I had it figured out! Wear a short sleeve camo shirt into afternoon stand and bring another performance t-shirt to change into once cooled down in stand. Also- put a couple 12 oz Gatorade bottles in the freezer for the afternoon hunts. After 15 min on stand they partially melted and had ice cold Gatorade just about until dark! ;-)

27-Sep-17
I think Rut filled all his pockets with frozen Gatorade bottles

27-Sep-17
And one under each armpit! ;-)

28-Sep-17
LOL! I tried to offer one to Teeton, but he didn't "bite"! : )

• Sitka Gear