bowandspear 29-Sep-17
DeanMan 30-Sep-17
bowandspear 01-Oct-17
Deerdawg 02-Oct-17
bowandspear 02-Oct-17
16-Sep-17

bowandspear's embedded Photo
Spent the last 2 days making a primitive quiver from the hide of a Spike I harvested in 2016. My 3 boys and I got our first tanning experience last winter with a couple of hides I saved. Fun stuff. This will hold some newly fletched cedar arrows matched for a long bow.

16-Sep-17

16-Sep-17

16-Sep-17
Very nice!

17-Sep-17
Agreed nice skill to have,..

17-Sep-17
very nice work

17-Sep-17
Of course its great .

One issue to be noted. If you are in camo and have this on your back , you look like a deer. Maybe a little hunter orange for the half blind gun hunter . Also , It could double as a decoy but that isn't legal . I hope no EPO gets the wrong idea. , Great look , well done.

17-Sep-17
That's awesome! How happy are you with how the tanning turned out?

17-Sep-17
Thanks all I don't intend to be in woods with it during hunting season unless I wormhole back 300 years in time or NK nukes us and we have to start over :) Then, I will be ahead of the game lol. More for target shooting and just a love for primitive stuff and making them with my boys. Have another for my youngest 1/2 way done to go with the self-bow we are making him. MRW - I tanned two hides, they came out good. Not the quality you get when you pay to have them tanned but both were learning experience for me and my boys. Cannot wait to do some more!

17-Sep-17
It looks great. Wish I had the skill or the imagination to even try that

17-Sep-17
That is sweet, I still have my first and only deer head in my stand up freezer (spikehorn) was think about doing a euro but seems like a ton of work.......looks awesome, and fantastic job man

17-Sep-17
Skippah, an easy way to clean that skull is place it on the ground - DOWN WIND OF YOUR HOUSE, put a bucket or pot over it with a boulder on it so nothing can get at it. Leave it for a few weeks. Once most of the skin and meat is gone blast it with water. IF it still has meat, leave it for another week. Once the meat is all gone soak it in peroxide and water up to, but not touching, the antlers. Keep checking it, when it's white, rinse it, dry it, display it.

18-Sep-17
Awesome info mrw, thanks

25-Sep-17
Bowspear, just want to let you know that you did a fantastic job on this quiver/euro. When we harvest a animal and utilize it more than providing food I feel that nothing goes to waste. Great job!!!

25-Sep-17

DeanMan thank you. As I said on another thread, I can't sit still lol so the day after I took that quiver pic I also finished mounting last seasons two Euro's (my first 2) on a nice black walnut log I salvaged from a car accident down the street. Utilizing whatever we can Is a great way to honor the harvest.

26-Sep-17
That's pretty cool! Good work bowandspear. I've always wanted to make one out of a coyote hide.

26-Sep-17
Coyote hide when cleaned is very soft I seen a bunch of coyote quivers they come out nice

26-Sep-17
That is super awesome. Well done. Question - can you put something "hard" in the bottom and put broad heads in? I always wondered how those "soft" skin quivers workout. Amazing build - really cool.

29-Sep-17

29-Sep-17

29-Sep-17

Deerdawg's embedded Photo
Nice work on quivers! Last years hats and mittens. I want to try making buskskin this winter and make a few black powder pouches Maybe buckskin tsongs for the wife! . Oh yea!
Nice work on quivers! Last years hats and mittens. I want to try making buskskin this winter and make a few black powder pouches Maybe buckskin tsongs for the wife! . Oh yea!

29-Sep-17

Nice work on quivers! Last years hats and mittens. I want to try making buskskin this winter and make a few black powder pouches Maybe buckskin thongs for the wife! . Oh yea!
Nice work on quivers! Last years hats and mittens. I want to try making buskskin this winter and make a few black powder pouches Maybe buckskin thongs for the wife! . Oh yea!

29-Sep-17

29-Sep-17
Sorry for the three peet.

29-Sep-17
Deer dawg, I love them. I remembered your post from winter and I went looking fir it to those. Awesome work

30-Sep-17
B&S, love the way displyed last year's Harvest on that walnut...deerdawg, Looks awesome...great work guys

01-Oct-17
DeerDawg if i did not already say it, congrats on an awesome Muley ! what a spread ! I did nto see that pic earlier. I want to make your hats

02-Oct-17
I think there are two deerdawgs on here! That's not my Mulie! wish it was, that is a beautiful deer! Great work Dawg! I have no idea how I got that picture attached to my comments! Sorry Bow and spear, Thanks for the praise. PM me and I we can talk about making Hats! Thanks DeanMan!

02-Oct-17
Ha ha Deerdawgs! And Will, this hide is kind of stiff, like rawhide as after tanning I only broke it a little. Stiff enough that with the faux sinew stitching it will hold field tips without issue. I also cut a piece if foam packaging material to shape to put in bottom for when broad heads in use.

• Sitka Gear