Belchertown Bowman 18-Sep-17
mrw 18-Sep-17
bigwoodsbucks22 18-Sep-17
bman 18-Sep-17
arch2112 18-Sep-17
badjuju 18-Sep-17
drslyr 18-Sep-17
18-Sep-17
I really need some help from those that have lone wolf sticks/stands. After 12 years of using a summit climber, I finally bought a LW stand with sticks so I could get into trees I couldn't with a climber. I bought one because people rave about how easy/quick/quiet they are. After using it 3 times this weekend, my experience has been nothing short of awful. I am very comfortable with my climber, I can set up and get into a tree without making even the slightest sound and I can do it very quickly. This lone wolf is the complete opposite. It takes way longer, I make a ton of noise, and to be honest, it just seems downright dangerous compared to my climber. Once I'm set up and harnessed in, (I am harnessed in while setting the actual platform) its awesome. Quality stand. And more versatile than the climber. So I'm not giving up. But getting it set up is a complete debacle.

HOWEVER, many of you guys love them and rave about them. Please help me get there. Can you guys please give me some advice, tips, and tricks on how to set this thing up quickly, quietly, and safely? Maybe some links to a decent video? Thanks.

18-Sep-17
bigwoods, this may be a stupid question, but you are using a linesman belt when hanging your steps and platform correct?

18-Sep-17
Bigwoodsbucks, check out DIY sportsman on youtube. He uses lonewolf and sticks. I've adapted everything I do loosely based on his ideas. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-fQeTZ_kpM&t=231s https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPHkbZrw4aw

18-Sep-17
Nope, I honestly don't know how to use a linesman's belt. Is this the big piece I am missing?

How many times do you guys climb up/down the tree to get set up? I believe it should only be twice but its taking me like 4 trips up and down haha. I wish someone coulda seen me. Got the stand slung over my shoulder, bow rope tied to my pack getting caught in all the steps, sweating my ass of, trying to harness in at the top. I'm telling you it was a complete and utter debacle every time.

18-Sep-17
Did your Summit come with a harness that has 2 loops at the waiste? If so use those loops like a linesman, attach your safety line around tree and hook on each loop. I can send pics but in a tree now.

18-Sep-17
It is an absolute must. Strap goes around the tree and attaches to your harness on both sides. Allows you to have both hands free while hanging steps, pulling up your platform and hanging your platform. Please get one, very difficult and unsafe to do without and just not worth it. I am not a lone wolf guy, but I believe the process is the same regardless of what brand you use. I hang my steps, tightening as I climb with the platform on my back. Get to top hang platform, pull up my pack with bow and done. No need to climb up and down at all to retrieve gear.

18-Sep-17
The linesman's belt is the key piece you are missing. It allows you to lean back freeing both hands safely anytime you need to. You should be able to make one trip every time with practice.

18-Sep-17
I have a nice harness but I'm not sure it came with a linesmans belt. Just watched that video and you are right on the belt for sure. I am going to grab one of those for sure. That is definitely the big piece I was missing. Thank you for sharing this.

Any other small tips and tricks? Also, how many of you actually put your bow into the "built in" bow holder on the platform? Its a little low for my liking but it is nice to have right there.

18-Sep-17
Also, bigwoods please go slow take your time I mean being on the side of the tree without a linesmans belt using mainly arm strength will def get tiring rather quickly. That's probably the reason why you were so sweaty. Going slow and making sure everything is correct is safer and way less tiring. I used to be the same way sweating my ass off trying to get to 20 feet as fast as I can and found out the slower I went the faster I was hunting if that makes sense.

18-Sep-17
Linesman belt,.. for sure,.. Then you are not using lots of muscle,.. without the belt you are in a race against fatigue,.. and when doing stuff quickly it is noisy. That was one thing I have had to practice,.. slow down do it all slowly and it is quiet. My nature is to just get shit done quickly and that is not conductive to quiet hunting.

18-Sep-17

mrw's Link
This is Dan Infalt setting up his lone wolf sticks and hang-on. His videos are definitely worth a watch. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e22bV2q3YOE

18-Sep-17
That video just sent me down a rabbit hole of awesome modifications. I think I am going to switching to ropes for the stick straps instead of the regular buckles. Much quieter and you can go around bigger trees. I picked out 2 trees that ended up being too big. Had to settle for something with less cover which I wasn't happy about. Plus this will save 3 lbs.

18-Sep-17
A good tip I learned from a poster on this site for using the climbing sticks is to make a haul line for your climbing sticks. Basically, you tie individual loops in a haul rope spaced 5-7 feet apart for each of your steps. The spacing between the loops needs to allow each stick to stay on the ground until you are ready to hang it as this prevents them from banging around and making noise.

First, lay out your sticks on the ground and place a loop around the V brace on each step. Place the first step on the tree and climb up on it. Using the haul rope pull up the next step and attach it to the tree. Climb and repeat until you have used up your steps and then hang the stand.

As the other posters have mentioned with a linesman's belt is an invaluable tool as it frees up both hands for attaching the sticks.

18-Sep-17

arch2112's Link
Another video. Many variants out there. All use a linesman belt.

18-Sep-17

badjuju's embedded Photo
badjuju's embedded Photo
badjuju's embedded Photo
badjuju's embedded Photo
badjuju's embedded Photo
badjuju's embedded Photo
This is the harness i was refering to. Came with my summit climber. Loops act / work like a linesman belt.

18-Sep-17
Huge wolf fan here. been using them for 20 yrs. Just bought the alpha lock on and 2 sets of 4 sticks. I spent about 4 or 5 rainy day hrs watching lone wolf youtube videos. The linesman belt is a key pc. of the puzzle. Also the wolf sells a strap hook that goes around the tree to hang your stand on while your preparing the stand with the hanging straps. It allows you to temporarily hang the stand so both hands can be free to secure the stand to the tree. I can climb 4 sticks set the stand and be ready to hunt in about ten min with only 1 trip up the tree and not even break a sweat.

• Sitka Gear