TwoDogs@work 18-Sep-17
BeardsAndBones 18-Sep-17
Kansasclipper 18-Sep-17
crestedbutte 18-Sep-17
Genesis 19-Sep-17
Trebarker 19-Sep-17
z hunter 19-Sep-17
18-Sep-17
i know there are many variables for the right answer to this question but....

for the last two weeks in October, i am assuming the deer would be in a seeking or pre-rut phase? if this is the case, what food sources should i target during this time of year?

find the does? should i target corn? milo? beans? natural veg? crp?

what do you guys look for during this phase of the year just before the weather and rut kicks off?

any help is appreciated..

18-Sep-17
Most of our crops will be harvested by that time this year. Green wheat and cut corn would be good. Finding the does is always a good strategy that time of the year.

18-Sep-17
If there are acorns, that would be my first choice. You do realize that there is very little seeking for most of the time period you mention. There may be some the last few days of October. However, any earlier than that there will be very little if any seeking.

18-Sep-17
Find the does the last week of October and you'll be in business. The private land I hunt gets no buck action until the last week of October then they start to show up, good luck!

18-Sep-17
Target what they are eating. Hard to answer when we don't know what food sources you have. Myself, I will be near alfalfa.

18-Sep-17
Where I hunt SEC KS the corn and beans on neighboring places will be cut by then as well and I have the areas majority of oaks. Therefore, +1 on the ACORNS!

In my area seeking phase occurs last week of Oct. thru first week of Nov. with chasing phase full bore 2nd thru 4th week of Nov. Good Luck!

19-Sep-17
Only seeking usually by immature bucks. Sure acorns are starting to fall but asking a mature buck to come in during daylight hours may not be worth the impact.Waiting to November ushers in so much more probability with acorns.

Although not a mandate this is usually the period I experience the "holeing up" of mature bucks to conserve energy and does due to harassment of younger bucks seeking.

JMHO

19-Sep-17

Trebarker's embedded Photo
Trebarker's embedded Photo
Have had my cameras out for over a year now. Not many pictures this summer, same 3-7 does, fawns and dink bucks every week. Neighbors have started shelling corn in recent weeks, been getting pictures like this since they got started harvesting. They are still in bachelor groups in my area, have started coming onto our property to feed on beans and acorns, have a large oak grove they frequent this time of year.

19-Sep-17
Milo

19-Sep-17

Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
Habitat for Wildlife's embedded Photo
This group of bucks came out of standing corn, crossed the creek and started feeding on white oak acorns today.

• Sitka Gear